Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

Strange but I read people and reviews say my Asus PB278 has PMW yet no lie here not ONE person can see it. Turn brightness all they way down you name it no one can see it. Oh I think Asus really likes me and gave me one free of PMW .yeah thats it.
There was one or two people that saw it in the PB278 thread. Lots of other people can see PWM flicker. Many more can tell the difference if you put two monitors backtoback and the frequency is around the usual and the brightness is set low enough.

If people really 'suffers' from it? Hard to measure suffering. Ergonomics is not really about acute suffering though. Its more what happens in the long run.

Main thing is that PWM isnt necessary and its a stupid technical solution to a simple problem and alternatives solutions doesent cost much more. This is something that ought to be fixed even if it only 'might' be a problem for 'some' people.

I have the Asus and had the Dell U2412M before. No flicker on the Asus at all(!), but on the Dell, yes.

Im in the third week of my s2440l ,and so far more than amazing . This first time Ive seen a screen beat my Samsung PN59D8000 plasma . . IM VERY PICKY if your looky for glossy like me this is it . . please don't pass up

p.s i hear about this PWM flicker talk and yes i hate more than most of you , apple 27 has it , crossfire Korean has it , this scree i have rev aoo does not have it . How do i know because im super sensitive to it , i like dark settings and more dark you go the more the effect persist

GOOD LUCK

P.S and in no way please dont equal this screen to the s2740l , yes the screen is big and nice but grainy and grey , and missing color feels very dual to me. but then again i like tight pixel 1080p and high contrast , for most people it would be a great screen

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong. I think PWM flicker is very relevant. I just dont think its fair to blame Dell for 'bait-and-switch', in this case. I'm just glad they seem to care enough to attempt to fix this unnecessary flicker madness.

Dopple: G2020HD is a CCFL. Could be some strange type of dimming for CCFL only, but the most probable case is fugly dimming by reducing input values. You get the same effect by reducing contrast in monitor settings or graphics card settings. Many laptop screens probably does this since its the simplest way to do dimming. Although there are laptop screens that does DC dimming too.

More on thread topic: Noone has anything to report on overdrive properties and PWM dimming on the 23" and 21.5" models?

hey crabjuice ive no intentions of blaming anyone. i'm just looking out for anyone interested in flicker free stuff including myself.

the method for ccfl dimming in g2020 is unclear but it looked fine. didnt look fugly. plus if alternate to pwm dimming is of the same cost then its likely that g2020 is the right choice for budget+flicker conscious guys, since ive seen and tested it myself - it is probably using the right alternative to pwm dimming which i'm looking for in s2440L. the panel wont be spectacular but it will get you by very well as you wait for the right monitor to come your way. atleast till 3 years till the warranty for it lasts.

Last edited:
Im in the third week of my s2440l ,and so far more than amazing . This first time Ive seen a screen beat my Samsung PN59D8000 plasma . . IM VERY PICKY if your looky for glossy like me this is it . . please don't pass up

p.s i hear about this PWM flicker talk and yes i hate more than most of you , apple 27 has it , crossfire Korean has it , this scree i have rev aoo does not have it . How do i know because im super sensitive to it , i like dark settings and more dark you go the more the effect persist

GOOD LUCK

P.S and in no way please dont equal this screen to the s2740l , yes the screen is big and nice but grainy and grey , and missing color feels very dual to me. but then again i like tight pixel 1080p and high contrast , for most people it would be a great screen

sounds amazing. but apple 27 has it? how can you say?

Strange but I read people and reviews say my Asus PB278 has PMW yet no lie here not ONE person can see it. Turn brightness all they way down you name it no one can see it.

if it is present but you cant see it it doesn't mean it is not injuring you.

If the S2440L and S2740L don't have PWM for some,how do they keep the luminescence at low levels?
I mean there is no disadvantage,if you compare a S2440L with/and one without PWM?

sounds amazing. but apple 27 has it? how can you say?
I know becuase of the headache it gives me . It something if your sustiple to you dont miss . I can look at this screen for hours at a brightness setting of 45

Grainy and grey? Doesn't sound right. An Nvidia GPU over HDMI by any chance?
I have my nvidia card set for full rgb so wasnt that , just the pixel density was a big bit for me ,or i sit to close to my screen 2 feet . As for grey blame it on the ips technology being used lately
But if you put screen side to side , the dell S2440l picture is way cleaner , but of course it is just my opinion , dell has a great return policy try them both

Here's some fast screenshots done of the Dell S2440L on my phone I will upload better ones later

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

Yeah, please do upload more photos.

Also, how bright was your room on the first two photos ? I know that reflection of the window behind you looks awful, but other than that it's not that bad

amazing pics! wow! the text looks very clear even in compressed jpegs and the colors are popping..

Yeah, please do upload more photos.

Also, how bright was your room on the first two photos ? I know that reflection of the window behind you looks awful, but other than that it's not that bad

No problem Im throwing some more photos in there man , I wish more people would share pictures when they get a monitor they're happy with , because words only say so much
the first two photo where with he windows opened full directly behind my desk , but that camera make it seem so much worse than it really is , the front of this screen is plexi so the reflection isn't a killer like the apple I had that was glass , glass acts like a total mirror where a glossy plastic screen isn't so bad

amazing pics! wow! the text looks very clear even in compressed jpegs and the colors are popping..

thanks man :) yea the color on this screen just pops , it has the best blacks of a plasma and the best bright pop of a lcd , Im retiring my ips , it will just never pop like this screen
plus at 24 inches and 1080p your not killing your eye like you would on a 27inch at 1440p , and most media just looks so crispy

Hey the_real_7 can you tell me please if you saw any flicker at low brightness?I would want to buy a S2440L but heard some get it with flicker others don't...TFTcentral said it was PWM free...

Hey the_real_7 can you tell me please if you saw any flicker at low brightness?I would want to buy a S2440L but heard some get it with flicker others don't...TFTcentral said it was PWM free...

there definitely no flicker on this screen , Ive had screens with it and without it, My screen does not have it 100% but I have first rev A00

hi all.

here are two places one can write to if pwm flicker is seen, on the s2440l.

from the tftcentral twitter page.

https://twitter.com/TFTCentral

TFTCentral‏@TFTCentral

“@sansruben: @pcmonitors I have also one working perfect.” Where are you based? I've had 3 reports with PWM but all seem to be from Sweden
------------

12 NovTFTCentral‏@TFTCentral

“@pcmonitors: Some reports of PWM flickering on the S2440L (our review sample didn't have this). We'll look into this.” Neither did ours
----------------------------------
9 NovTFTCentral‏@TFTCentral
Wanted: Dell S2440L (24") users - please get in touch via the website

*Now* here is a place one can report to, to report PWM flicker on the s2440l !

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

and here too!

http://pcmonitors.info/

PC Monitors
Nov 12, 2012 (edited) - Public

PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) can cause headaches, eyestrain or general annoyance for users who are sensitive to it. Our Dell S2440L didn't use this so we happily reported that fact. Some users in the US have apparently observed PWM flickering on thier S2440Ls. We'll look into this. If any S2440L could let us know how theirs behaves that would be great.

there. a couple of places where One can Be heard!

freestone

Just picked up a pair of S2440L monitors from BestBuy. For those looking here in the US, Costco carries these monitors, same price as the Amazon sale price (which is no more BTW). On Costco.com, you have to search for dell 24" monitor as the model number doesn't show up in the search. They also have the 23" model and the 27" monitor. They are listed as "Dell 27" Full HD LED Monitor".

Right now, I only have one hooked up. I ordered a pair of DVI-HDMI cables from Monoprice. I found a DVI-VGA adapter that I had laying around to connect it.

What I've seen so far, this monitor does have ghosting, but it only seems noticeable in dark grey areas.

My current pair of monitors is a 20" Dell Ultrasharp and the Asus VW222U. The color is much nicer than my Asus VW222U. The Ultrasharp is much more comparable in color, but this monitor beats it pretty easily. I'm not sure if its the matte finish vs. the glossy, but the blacks and the colors are pretty amazing.

As far as the PWM that's being reported, my son turned on Team Fortress 2??? Sorry, I'm not a gamer... The game runs in 1680 x 1050. At one point in the Options screen which also happens to be dark grey, I did see horizontal bands running up the monitor. If that's PWM, it definitely happens at that resolution. Otherwise, I don't notice it in the native resolution. I also didn't notice it when he was playing the game and moving around. I tried to find the ghosting in the game, but there's mainly browns, which doesn't seem to show it.

As far as glossy, I have it in a darker room. It is noticeable, but it isn't distracting when the monitor is on. I was worried about it, since all of my computers are matte screens. After using it for a few hours now, it doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

I have a question, I'm running a GTX660Ti, and I'm going to connect DVI-HDMI cables to the monitors. Do I need to download that utility for the Nvidia cards to correct for the color? I heard that when you connect hdmi to the monitor you need to adjust the settings, I was unsure of whether it had to be done when using the dvi-hdmi cables.

Just picked up a pair of S2440L monitors from BestBuy. For those looking here in the US, Costco carries these monitors, same price as the Amazon sale price (which is no more BTW). On Costco.com, you have to search for dell 24" monitor as the model number doesn't show up in the search. They also have the 23" model and the 27" monitor. They are listed as "Dell 27" Full HD LED Monitor".

Right now, I only have one hooked up. I ordered a pair of DVI-HDMI cables from Monoprice. I found a DVI-VGA adapter that I had laying around to connect it.

What I've seen so far, this monitor does have ghosting, but it only seems noticeable in dark grey areas.

My current pair of monitors is a 20" Dell Ultrasharp and the Asus VW222U. The color is much nicer than my Asus VW222U. The Ultrasharp is much more comparable in color, but this monitor beats it pretty easily. I'm not sure if its the matte finish vs. the glossy, but the blacks and the colors are pretty amazing.

As far as the PWM that's being reported, my son turned on Team Fortress 2??? Sorry, I'm not a gamer... The game runs in 1680 x 1050. At one point in the Options screen which also happens to be dark grey, I did see horizontal bands running up the monitor. If that's PWM, it definitely happens at that resolution. Otherwise, I don't notice it in the native resolution. I also didn't notice it when he was playing the game and moving around. I tried to find the ghosting in the game, but there's mainly browns, which doesn't seem to show it.

As far as glossy, I have it in a darker room. It is noticeable, but it isn't distracting when the monitor is on. I was worried about it, since all of my computers are matte screens. After using it for a few hours now, it doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

I have a question, I'm running a GTX660Ti, and I'm going to connect DVI-HDMI cables to the monitors. Do I need to download that utility for the Nvidia cards to correct for the color? I heard that when you connect hdmi to the monitor you need to adjust the settings, I was unsure of whether it had to be done when using the dvi-hdmi cables.
try this :
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039337126#post1039337126

Just got my s2440l its got PWM :( revision A00, connected using VGA, I will post more later + maybe some video. P.S. Im from Czech Rep.

Last edited:
Looks like it's one big PWM lottery. Anyway, photos and/or videos of your S2440L would be much appreciated. :)

How bad is the vertical angle color shift on the S2440L?

I ask, as I went to my local Best Buy yesterday and took at look at their monitors. It's sort of cool to actually see IPS/VA screens available to look at in-person.

The S2440L looked decent instore, but not quite as good as I expected. I realize it's hardly an ideal viewing situation, but the S2340 beneath it seemed to have more realistic colors, and a bit more pop to it. The 24"er's colors appeared duller.

Then I realized the 24"er was up higher, not at a huge angle, but it wasn't at eye level. So was it simply gamma shift that seemed to wash out the colors somewhat? I did notice that horizontal shift was worse on the VA than the IPS, but that was to be expected.

It'd be real interesting if anyone here had the 23", 24" and 27" versions and showed pics on each, side by side. Unlikely to occur, but it would be nice to see.

How bad is the vertical angle color shift on the S2440L?

I ask, as I went to my local Best Buy yesterday and took at look at their monitors. It's sort of cool to actually see IPS/VA screens available to look at in-person.

The S2440L looked decent instore, but not quite as good as I expected. I realize it's hardly an ideal viewing situation, but the S2340 beneath it seemed to have more realistic colors, and a bit more pop to it. The 24"er's colors appeared duller.

Then I realized the 24"er was up higher, not at a huge angle, but it wasn't at eye level. So was it simply gamma shift that seemed to wash out the colors somewhat? I did notice that horizontal shift was worse on the VA than the IPS, but that was to be expected.

It'd be real interesting if anyone here had the 23", 24" and 27" versions and showed pics on each, side by side. Unlikely to occur, but it would be nice to see.

most likely not only was the image bad because of the viewing angle with e screen being above you , but also the screen probably wasn't adjusted , with stock setting and hdmi not being setup correctly the screen will look as you described.

Sigh.

I was a bit impressed by just reading here in the forum that the Eizo 2436 is being marketed as having no PWM,

Then I read someplace that it is rumored to have an FRC? :( Does it simuate colors by flickering? Can anyone confirm or dismiss this?

If anyone knows - if it DOES have FRC (not confirmed) is it possible to turn the FRC off? Will it switch 100% off if I force, say, 16 bit color or 24 bit color, or whatever? (If forcing 24 bit in Win7 is even possible?)

Edit: according to: http://www.prad.de/board/index.php?page=Thread&postID=371122&prad_print=ja
... the Eizo 2436 uses a 6 bit panel with FRC =( If this is true... hello flicker!

Last edited:
Eizo EV2436

I just checked PRAD's review, they said it doesn't flicker and it perfectly displays all gradients, so the bits (6 vs 8) does not matter.

If you are really interested in the Eizo spend the few $ on PRAD's review
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-eizo-ev2436wfs-bk.html#Einleitung

PRAD has reviewed the S2740L as well, their unit had much lower contrast than mine (800:1 vs mine which could do 1200:1) and an average gamma of 2.4 (depending on the brightness used mine ranged from 2.05-2.3). Their review is not up for the public yet

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-dell-s2740l.html

TFT Centrals also had much lower contrast (800:1), but good gamma (2.3)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2740l.htm

These kinds of variances are sadly normal for low-mid range IPS panels.

Last edited:
The pcmonitors.info review is also up -

http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2740l

Their monitor seemed to have good gamma and strong contrast. So yes it looks like a variation thing which is a bit unfortunate. Has anybody noticed the internal reflection they talk about as well? I recently bought an Apple Cinema Display and don't have this so I was wondering if this is common on the Dell S2440L/S2740L? Sounds a bit annoying although they said it wasn't too distracting. :confused:

such deviation in contrast almost makes it seem different panels were in the s2740 being reviewed by tftcentral vs pcmonitors but they are using the same panel LM270WF5-SLB1

despite s2440l's same revision numbers some have pwm and some dont. probably even with the same panel different backlight driver circuits or backlights are being used ? because for s2740l pcmonitors the max brightness goes to 275 cd/m while for tftcentral its only 231 cd/m2. weird stuff.

if the prad.de pwm s2440L has a substantial max brightness difference compared to tftcentral s2440l pwm free lcd then maybe those who have PWM in their s2440L could RMA the monitor for brightness problem... but will need to see prad.des review for that.

but not if the difference boils down to colorimeters being used since tftcentral is using nec while pcmonitors is using konica.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any measurement errors, the KM probe pcmonitors.info uses is extremely accurate for measuring light output (it is its sole purpose). The TFT Central spectrophotometer shouldn't have any problems either, especially when measuring such high values. I have been a long time fan of both sites and have seen variation on other monitors also using the same panel. It is possible that they are just set up differently in the factory. This kind of variation is a bit of a shame either way. :(

tftcentral is reporting pwm free s2440ls brightness as 192 while pcmonitors is showing 245.. the backlight is probably the same since both are flicker free and both are using the same panel M240HVN01 V0... so the colorimeter could be the culprit as far as brightness measurement is concerned.

Hi, so I’m posting more, as promised:

SO lets start from what you get in the Package:

1x LCD display which is glossy as hell, in fact if it is turned off it is like a mirror. But on other hand it is a very good looking and elegant display.
1x stand for monitor which is a little bit small but still quite stable and sadly not capable of any rotation or height adjustment (you can still change the angle of screen)
1x external power supply + power cable
1x VGA cable, no HDMI :(
+ Manual and CD (not really needed)

Turning it on:

Colors, contrast, brightness
Colors are quite good, they are a little bit cooler and somehow foggy (less alive-like) - it is hard to explain. The contrast is excellent, makes the details to come out. Default brightness is too high, I had to turn it down to about 50%.

The glossiness
Glossiness is not good, if you would watch a dark horror movie, you would have to turn off the lights in the room, because on dark areas monitor is really reflective.

Backlit and viewing angles
My piece had no serious backlit bleed. I found only a little bleed in lover left corner but hardly noticeable.
I think that viewing angles are alright for MVA - best to view it from front, so you must quite a lot angle the screen.

Menu
Menu is very nice and well-arranged, you can adjust RGB. The buttons are elegant – touch-sensitive.

PMW
Yes it has got a free PMW built in it:( and my eyes hurt a bit, but not as much as on 85Hz CRT, but still not acceptable for me.

VIDEOS:
I have only 480p camera in my mobile so sorry for the quality.

The first video is quick unboxing of s2440l.
1)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-l-pVZy7TU

The second one is about PMW in monitor. At 100% brightness it doesn't seem to flicker at all, but at other brightness it flickers and produces strobo-hand-effect.
2)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f13S0oJ4RcI

In the third video I compare s2440l to CRT AOC 9Grl (eye-chainsaw). The AOC runs at 75Hz. The s2440l produced strobo-hand too but it is not really noticeable in video.
3)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKhDS7CHDPk

PICTURES
The pictures are taken from my mobile with 5Mpx camera so sorry for poorer quality.

First I compared glossiness with mate LG L226WTQ-SF and with the mentioned AOC 9Grl.

In these 3 pictures I putted monitors on same spot and took photo from same angle:
S2440Lreflection.jpg

LGL226WTQ-SFreflection.jpg

AOC9Grlreflection.jpg

Here I compare reflection of S2440L to mate LG L226WTQ-SF
reflectiontestS2440LvsL226WTQ-SF.jpg

And here I compare reflection of S2440L to AOC 9Grl
reflectiontestS2440LvsAOC9Grl.jpg

And here are some photos of s2440l in action:
S2440Lpicture2.jpg

S2440Lpicture3.jpg

SNC00484.jpg

SNC00490.jpg

If you have any questions, just ask :)

Nice pics...

Assuming you are using hdmi and not vga, did you need to apply the video card fix to get the contrast/blacks working better?

The foggy 'less alive' color thing was pretty much what I saw in my Best Buy. It's not like the colors were bad, but they seemed a tad washed out, not as realistic, as the nearby IPS screens.

Nice pics...

Assuming you are using hdmi and not vga, did you need to apply the video card fix to get the contrast/blacks working better?

The foggy 'less alive' color thing was pretty much what I saw in my Best Buy. It's not like the colors were bad, but they seemed a tad washed out, not as realistic, as the nearby IPS screens.

Sorry I don't have HDMI cable so I can't tell... I was using VGA + AMD card, and I hope that the PWM isnt only on VGA :-D

nice pics mate, that looks exactly like bad ccfls... curious how led and ccfl look the same when gone wrong... i hope they arent putting ccfls and calling it leds.

Back