Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

Like the S2440L, there is no overdrive option in the S2740L's service menu.

That's not a review, it's a specification summary. I checked a few of their other reviews out, they are likely copy paste jobs.

Sorry for reporting back so late, but i have been too busy lately to test the Dell S2340L. I will still be returning it, but i got a much better impression when the black level was adjusted right (0-255). Tested with some 1080p blu-ray movies and they look gorgeous on this screen, with contrast ratio/ black point being on par with my Dell ST2220T (it has a slightly higher gamma than 2.2 though, so the picture still looks a little washed out). I think many people would be happy with this screen.

Now back too the bad parts. I still notice some kind of noise effect at high brightness settings and there is definetely a screen door effect (could not tell what it was before, but now i know its the so called "screen door effect", look here for example; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Screen-door_effect.jpg). The fact that the screen has the screen door effect is kind of strange, as i did not notice that when using Dell U2410 a few years back (it has higher dpi).

IPS-glow is still a bit more prominent than my ST2220T (but i think the bad bleeding/ or screen uniformity may be making this worse) and the overdrive overshoot is simply too annoying for me to keep the screen (may not be bothersome to other people).

Frameless, can you say if there is an option to change overdrive settings?

Frame less, screen door affect doesn't make sense on a glossy. Do you only notice it on text?

VA type panels have different pixel structure than TN and most newer IPS screens. The screen door effect Frameless describes is likely a by-product of that.

VA type panels have different pixel structure than TN and most newer IPS screens. The screen door effect Frameless describes is likely a by-product of that.

But he is talking about an observation on the S2340L which is an IPS monitor.

Frame less, screen door affect doesn't make sense on a glossy. Do you only notice it on text?

I was of the impression that the screen door effect comes from dpi and pixel structure. I know glossy affects the pixel structure somewhat, but in the case of Dell S2340L there is definetely a "screen door effect". My ST2220T has a clearer picture, allthough the screen door effect pretty much disappear at more than 0,5m viewing distance on the S2340L.

Frameless, can you say if there is an option to change overdrive settings?

Not that i can find, but there may be a service menu where you can turn it off?

But he is talking about an observation on the S2340L which is an IPS monitor.

Oh, I didn't realize. My bad. For some dumb reason I thought only the 27" was IPS.

I have an ST2220T too and that has the "chevron" pixel structure >>> or <<<

Some older H-IPS have a slight offset between Red/Green/Blue sub-pixels so this can be seen regardless of anti-glare.

someone on another forum.

http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,725729

interesting. the 24" mva might be better.

freestone

hi all.

the reason why I "jumped" onto this so quickly with no time to really reply well, is that I have sitting at my other computer a NEC Ea23wmi,
*their* version of an ips panel.
once in a while i try this monitor again and then leave it. not only does it have a strong anti-glare screen, any photo that i look at has me looking through a screen door! does not matter what the resolution is either.
I hoped that a ips would be "better"! my viewsonic 18" crt has no such screen door effect.

someday i hope to find out, when my Amazon backorder of the Dell s2440l mva monitor comes, if this monitor also has such a screen effect too.

freestone

@ freestone

Did Amazon send you email with an eta on monitor?

hi.

as of Wednesday, 9;30 am eastern time, they have not. i only have an order confirmation.

probably this is why that good price, they know it might be a while.

so the eta might come today, or might come in November.
an incredible price for a hopefully incredible monitor!

freestone

Hi...
I'm torn between the S2240M and the SL2440L.
I do a lot of text/web editing work, I'm afraid the SL2440L might be too big for that.
Though I think I would prefer the MVA display.
It would almost help if there was a real price difference between the two...

@Scorpio69 Thank you for your wonderful pictures. You said that text looks nice and sharp on this monitor, I know you have the 27" model, but do you feel like you could work on something text based for several hours on that monitor....?

Some older H-IPS have a slight offset between Red/Green/Blue sub-pixels so this can be seen regardless of anti-glare.
But anti-glare should help somewhat, corrent? Ever since I heard and saw the heavy AG of many highend IPS panels while VA panels that did not have it, I did suspect that there must be more to this than just that they want to reduce glare. Although, the screen-door effect doesent necessarily have everything to do with subpixel gap either. It could be some other property like diffraction or whatnot.

Page containing subpixel structure shot of 23" AH-IPS btw:
http://www.svethardware.cz/art_doc-A1EEE0471315F418C1257A6A0024E7C0.html

I'm looking at picking up a 2nd screen to sit next to my 3011 at home (have got a Crossover 27 and would like to get another one of those but I don't really have the real estate and is sorta out of my price range) so am looking at the S23/24 or a LG IPS237L. Both are pretty much the same price, other than I can jet out and get the LG today.

I am sitting in a room thats pretty dark most of the time, so don't think the reflective screen will be a problem.

What do you guys think - grab the LG or order the Dell S23?

Some reviews confirming no PWM on the 24 inch model:

http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2440l
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2440l.htm

I am sure one of the users here did some testing on the 27 inch version and confirmed no PWM. Above sites are also reviewing this model soon.

awesome info thanks.

does this look like a screendoor effect? the pixel structure is easily visible... http://pcmonitors.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/S2440L-controls.jpg

I think that's just a macro shot. I usually get the same on my Apple Cinema Display when I take macros so don't think it was visible. Might be worth emailing the reviewers to see what they say.

I think that's just a macro shot. I usually get the same on my Apple Cinema Display when I take macros so don't think it was visible. Might be worth emailing the reviewers to see what they say.

i think you're right plus the issue goes away once you move a bit further away from the screen.

I'm not too particularly fond of the gloss but they do look like nice monitors and at a good price point

I am sure one of the users here did some testing on the 27 inch version and confirmed no PWM. Above sites are also reviewing this model soon.

That was me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k9roCiFc4g

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/g...740l-review-1920x1080-edge-ege-glass-ips.html (not finished one section)

I used a fixed shutter speed (1/125) and played with the brightness settings and never saw any flicker. TFT Central will confirm if I was right next week when his S2740L review goes up.

I've been waiting for a 24" VA panel from Dell for a while now and I was pleased when Dell announced S2440L. However, couple of things are bothering me about this monitor:
- the dark overshoot. Review from PC Monitors (http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2440l) shows that this overshoot even appears with mouse movement, which I find quite ridiculous. Is it really *that* bad?
- and two, the glassy screen. An important reason I am interested in this monitor is so I can watch movies. Given that I plan to mainly watch movies in mostly a dark room (with perhaps a small amount of street light), how bad is the reflection going to be? Will there still be some reflection when watching dark scenes in a dark room?

Amazon has nice prices on Dell S series monitors. Unfortunately not all the monitors are available or in stock. So if you don't mind waiting you can get them at good price
Amazon:
Dell S2740L
Out of stock $339
Dell S2440L
out of stock $199
Dell S2340L
NA
Dell S2340M
In stock $179
Dell S2240L
NA
Dell S2240M
In stock $168

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can always try to get Dell to price match.

I ordered my S2440L Saturday from Dell without having seen this post first. I called early Monday morning to cancel my order (after it shipped) and they offered me a $15 credit. I wasn't interested, so they bumped it to $25. I'm sure they could have gone higher, but I don't care to haggle much over $35, and figured it was fair enough since I'll have it here quickly.

The overshoot with mouse movement would scare me a bit. Did BenQ owners with a similar (or same) panel have the same problem? I'm just wondering if the overdrive issue is Dell's fault, or the panel manufacturer.

I don't mind mild ghosting, since I'm not a big gamer anyway. But if I see ghosting/overshoot/etc from just doing normal things, like moving the mouse around, it'd bother me.

The overshoot with mouse movement would scare me a bit. Did BenQ owners with a similar (or same) panel have the same problem? I'm just wondering if the overdrive issue is Dell's fault, or the panel manufacturer.

I don't mind mild ghosting, since I'm not a big gamer anyway. But if I see ghosting/overshoot/etc from just doing normal things, like moving the mouse around, it'd bother me.

The overdrive is added by the monitor manufacturer and isn't part of the panel, so it's Dell's fault so to speak. There isn't another monitor using that same glossy VA panel to compare anyway. It looks from what I've seen that the BenQ has milder acceleration with fewer artifacts.

Back