Deathloop (Arkane Studios)

It has got 10/10 scores ACROSS THE BOARD
That's a giant red flag if anything. If they said 7/10 or 8/10, I might have believed them.
At this point if you take the opposite of what the mainstream reviews say, you are probably closer to the thruth most of the time. Even in the cases where they don't miss the mark completely they usually praise the games for all the wrong reasons.

It's way easier to be negative than positive, so I take this as a good sign. Do I think it's really a 10/10? Absolutely not. Hell, the graphics definitely aren't that great, so I'd fault it for them alone. Do I think it's going to be good? Yeah. Everything else from this dev has been killer IMO.

10/10? pfffft, not likely. maybe some sjw game """""journalists""""" wrote the reviews. i'll believe it when i see it

It has got 10/10 scores ACROSS THE BOARD

10/10 for me means a game should be a new classic and monumental. (That doesn't mean perfect.)

I am going to try and think long and hard about the last time I would have handed that grade out.

I do think there are some reasons for hope here overall. I definitely don't see trash and in fact I'm back to being a little bit tempted despite myself right now. ;)

I'd probably only give a dozen'ish games a 10/10 in the modern (aka. 3D) era. A lot of online pubs and especially rando YouTube reviews and such toss 'em at nearly anything that's especially good. There are just as many that harp on minor details and tell you that literally everything is only worth buying on sale. It's a crapshoot and it's why you have to read into the details that matter to you rather than a score.

One man's "10" is another man's trash, and vice versa.

Read/watch both the praise and the criticism, and make up your own mind. But I've seen the "hive mind" fail many many times. It's your money, not theirs.

so... Dishonored Roguelike. Not my bag, baby. But I'll still keep tabs on it and may try later. Still looks pretty amazing.

Deathloop on PC Supports DualSense Features, RT, HDR, and Nvidia Reflex; No Crossplay

Deathloop supports the main DualSense features, haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, which provide a greater level of immersion...there is one thing missing on PC, though, and that's the controller's speaker which only works on PS5...Deathloop on PC also supports HDR displays (the first Arkane game to do so) and features ray-traced options for shadows and ambient occlusion (other options for AO include FidelityFX CACAO and NVIDIA HBAO+)

Perhaps the most surprising feature is the inclusion of Nvidia Reflex

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
10/10 for me means a game should be a new classic and monumental. (That doesn't mean perfect.)

I am going to try and think long and hard about the last time I would have handed that grade out.

I do think there are some reasons for hope here overall. I definitely don't see trash and in fact I'm back to being a little bit tempted despite myself right now. ;)
I think there are less than five games in history since I've started playing games that I'd be comfortable giving 10/10 to.

Deathloop on PC Supports DualSense Features, RT, HDR, and Nvidia Reflex; No Crossplay

Deathloop supports the main DualSense features, haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, which provide a greater level of immersion...there is one thing missing on PC, though, and that's the controller's speaker which only works on PS5...Deathloop on PC also supports HDR displays (the first Arkane game to do so) and features ray-traced options for shadows and ambient occlusion (other options for AO include FidelityFX CACAO and NVIDIA HBAO+)

Perhaps the most surprising feature is the inclusion of Nvidia Reflex

Do the DualSense features require that the PS5 controller be plugged in or is that via Bluetooth connections, too?

I think there are less than five games in history since I've started playing games that I'd be comfortable giving 10/10 to.

Exactly. Even games I consider classics for myself like Mass Effect were flawed. Hell, I almost quit Mass Effect after the first 90 minutes.

Exactly. Even games I consider classics for myself like Mass Effect were flawed. Hell, I almost quit Mass Effect after the first 90 minutes.
I actually quit Mass Effect after 90 minutes, only returning to it due to immense peer pressure. But then Mass Effect 2, has become one of those 10/10 candidates for me.

It seems that now it's not just the middle of the road that doesn't exist, there is not even quarter of the road anymore. Everything has to be either total trash or 10/10, and if you dare break the "internet consensus" how dare you have a different opinion than the hive mind.

wow reviews for this are really good...most 'legit' sites are giving it a 9.0+...you don't see that a lot nowadays...and yes there are quite a few perfect 10's but I always take perfect scores with a grain of salt...but even without the 10's quite a few of my trustworthy sites are giving this high praise...Arkane is a very divisive developer as people either love them or find them overrated...overall even ignoring the perfect 10 scores this sounds like an excellent game

Game of the Year material here, perfect 10s across the board. Didn't see it coming.

A good mix of reviews is a good thing, but it's amusing how they're all so extreme with best/worst/most/least tossed around left and right. Nobody can ever write "It's pretty good" or "I wasn't a fan" and still get those revenue/klout-generating clicks. Wild guess, I bet the game is a solid B to B+.

like this
A good mix of reviews is a good thing, but it's amusing how they're all so extreme with best/worst/most/least tossed around left and right. Nobody can ever write "It's pretty good" or "I wasn't a fan" and still get those revenue/klout-generating clicks. Wild guess, I bet the game is a solid B to B+.
I don't think that's true. For example the above linked review is not all negative, it's just not saying that it is 10 / 10, more like a 6/10 or maybe 7/10 which seems reasonable. Seeing that the game might be slightly worse than dishonored.

I don't think that's true. For example the above linked review is not all negative, it's just not saying that it is 10 / 10, more like a 6/10 or maybe 7/10 which seems reasonable. Seeing that the game might be slightly worse than dishonored.

He literally calls it Arkane's "most underwhelming game" right in the title of the video, though.

He literally calls it Arkane's "most underwhelming game" right in the title of the video, though.
LOL, Thanks for demonstrating the point I just made. Is there literally nothing between 10/10 and trash for you? Why can't it be their most underwhelming game and still be a 6/10 ?

Some pretty bad reviews too "Deathloop may ultimately go down as my biggest gaming disappointment of 2021. " from Ars Technica:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/09/deathloop-review-a-dishonorable-bethesda-discharge/

you can always find bad reviews even for the most universally beloved games if you go looking for them...same thing with great reviews for universally despised games...the point is to look for reviews from trusted sites...also look at the overall averages

LOL, Thanks for demonstrating the point I just made. Is there literally nothing between 10/10 and trash for you? Why can't it be their most underwhelming game and still be a 6/10 ?

"Most underwhelming game" is a hyperbolic title right from the get go. He's looking for people to love/hate watch. I'd say the score of 6/10 really depends on what scoring system you're going by. Are you scoring based upon school grades (A-F), or based upon 5/10 being average? Seems like most reviewers go with the grading system, which makes a 6/10 basically trash (a D or F).

From what I've read, this thing has the same disappointing performance as Dishonored 2. Might be a great game, but the engine seems like shit.

It seems that now it's not just the middle of the road that doesn't exist, there is not even quarter of the road anymore. Everything has to be either total trash or 10/10, and if you dare break the "internet consensus" how dare you have a different opinion than the hive mind.

I'm glad you decided to copy exactly what I've been saying on these forums for years...but don't forget what you said about Deathloop- "I'm tempted to get this just so I can tear it a new one"

but that's your M.O- you're a contrarian...universally beloved games you will 'tear it a new one'...games that are universally disliked you will claim to like or love...you take the opposite stance to sound edgy

Last edited:
I'll certainly give this one a try all said and done. I'm not expecting greatness. I am weary of the save system. Seems like the narrative building is the strong point after skimming some reviews. Gameplay looks decent. Very torn on it, but will give it a go eventually.

like this
judging by gameplay videos it looks and plays exactly like Dishonored 3 with a time loop element added on...not that it's a bad thing as I really enjoyed Dishonored and Prey...I keep reading that it's a culmination of everything Arkane has done in the past 5 years

after reading a few reviews from trusted sites I'm all in with Deathloop...I was waiting for reviews before buying and it sounds like the typical Arkane masterclass in level design, gameplay and writing...also sounds like a smart game which requires thinking and the no Quicksave option fits in perfectly...all the Quicksave spammers are going to post negative reviews or not buy because they suck at challenging games

only negative seems to be the graphics which don't seem to justify the required specs...I have a 3080 but no way do the graphics match up with it (even with ray-tracing enabled)...I hear it looks a lot better then the PS5 version but not at RTX 3080 levels...Arkane has never been a graphics showcase developer and that's fine as gameplay always trumps graphics

I skipped over a lot of the plot details/spoilers in the reviews as I heard it's best to go in blind and experience the game fresh...I won't be able to play this week but I do plan on picking it up and finishing it before Far Cry 6 comes out

after reading a few reviews from trusted sites I'm smart game which requires thinking and the no Quicksave option fits in perfectly...all the Quicksave spammers are going to post negative reviews or not buy because they suck at challenging games
Exactly. All the "no quicksave, no buy" whiners are the kind of people that would also complain about Dark Souls not having it, instead of just playing the game long enough to realize a quicksave element would actually ruin the game. But then these are people that also want pony rides and candy on their birthday, and still have their MAMA tuck them in at night.

Right now Deathloop is the 10/10 undisputed GOTY. Until Far Cry 6 which will then be GOTY, and when BF2042 is out next month will replace both as GOTY. So a lot of good stuff to finish out the year.

Exactly. All the "no quicksave, no buy" whiners are the kind of people that would also complain about Dark Souls not having it, instead of just playing the game long enough to realize a quicksave element would actually ruin the game. But then these are people that also want pony rides and candy on their birthday, and still have their MAMA tuck them in at night.

and the game has an Invasion feature where other players can invade your game which will also turn off some people (it can be disabled in the settings)...

This, children, is what we call a false equivalence.

Ok, I like where the game is going, but performance legit blows for how it looks.

My machine isn't awesome any more but I find it hard to believe my overclocked 6700k and GTX 1080 somehow can't render this at above 55 fps with most settings turned to down. The adaptive framerate promptly shits itself to try claw up whatever performance it can and winds up running at a resolution of approximately 4 pixels and somehow looks worse than Dishonored 1.

The game seems awesome, but it does not run good.

edit: the ingame fps limter is complete dog shit and microstutters like crazy. Use RTSS - it's MUCH smoother.

Attachments

• 1631594977791.jpeg
    1631594977791.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210914002732_1.jpg
    20210914002732_1.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 1
Deathloop review: You won't play anything like it for a very long time

Deathloop isn't the first game to attempt a puzzle box in this new generation...IO Interactive's Hitman 3 arrived earlier this year and the difference between the two couldn't be more stark – both in terms of their visual aesthetic and style of play they encourage...if anything, the experience of playing Deathloop is the inverse of how you're traditionally pushed through something like a Hitman 3

Death isn't to be feared in Deathloop, but embraced...dying is an opportunity to learn something new...what Arkane has built here in Deathloop is a multifaceted puzzle box...I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Deathloop...it wasn't what I thought it was going to be and it seemed to challenge my expectations without reservation...my impression of Deathloop seemed to shift with every passing hour and, as a result, it's difficult to not be impressed – if not thoroughly enthralled – with what Arkane has pieced together here...

https://www.gamesradar.com/deathloop-review/

like this
This, children, is what we call a false equivalence.

Not sure how it's a false equivalence when there was a very vocal group that complained about Dark Souls save system - or lack of - without playing the game long enough for it to click.

"Try before you cry" - play a game as god intended, and then decide if your arbitrary game mechanic binky would really have added anything to the experience.

I don't think I can get an acceptable experience on this hardware, to be honest, and that seems a bit ridiculous. It doesn't feel great when the game drops under 60 fps when so much as a gnat farts once you're outside the tutorial area. I have to either turn shit down so much that I feel like the game is honestly compromised at that point to maintain a *mostly* solid 60 fps... and it still seems to drop in combat when it's getting hectic.

If you're alright with seeing a blurry 45-50 fps at times, I guess it'll work for you, but I think I'm just going to refund.

edit: ya, I tried. I'm at my refund limit. I can't get it running to what I'd consider acceptable. This is apparently the heaviest game my computer has ever attempted to run. Refund it is.

Good lord.

Last edited:
Back