Deathloop (Arkane Studios)

Damn I bet there are too many releases for May in June so they pushed it back.
Or the Covid situation

There a movie recently released that is based of this premise. It is called Boss Level. It was a decent action flick.

delay is not surprising...a game getting released on time would be the real shocker...will RE8 get delayed?...Biomutant has been delayed so many times so I think that's safe for May

What else is coming in May/June? RE8 and Biomutant are the only games on my radar.
Nier Replicant, Gates of Oblivion, Chivalry 2, Ratchet & Clank, Dark Alliance, Mario Golf, Blaster Master Zero 3

Most of those aren't on PC. Was looking forward to this and Nier. I hope FF7 Remake comes to PC soon and RE8 isn't delayed.

Most of those aren't on PC. Was looking forward to this and Nier. I hope FF7 Remake comes to PC soon and RE8 isn't delayed.
Ratchet & Clank and Mario Golf are the only ones I listed not coming to PC.

I was totally unaware of Dark Alliance. D&D meets 3rd person action? I'm definitely in if it doesn't suck.

Deathloop Is Building On Dishonored's Ideas, But Is An Exciting Evolution

The big question that remains for me is how much value there is in playing Deathloop stealthily...I love stealth games and have perfect runs of all the Dishonored games, but based on what I saw, Deathloop feels like it's geared a little more towards death and destruction

Deathloop is very much built on design ideas that Arkane has worked with for previous titles and leans into its own narrative and artistic strengths, but there's something more there too...regardless of what it ends up being called, there's definitely the seed of something new and exciting in Deathloop...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/d...as-but-is-an-exciting-evolution/1100-6491687/

Looks like the cogs of the PR machine have decided to spring to life.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442372/deathloop-preview-arkane-studios-ps5

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/deathloop-release-date-ps5-pc-preview/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/05...risks-to-push-the-envelope-on-immersive-sims/

With regards to stealth... I'd believe that it falls more into what you could do with Prey- stealth options exist, but you aren't held to it (as much as you were in Dishonored, for example). In some ways, the pure binary of Dishonored ended up becoming very limiting, while Prey at least you had the ability to seek out the pathways to using stealth as a tool, as much as you could use pure offensive capabilities. Mooncrash too kind of shows a facet of creating this progress/loop structure which I can see similarities to how Deathloop is being described.

Two of the articles I've linked make some mention of playing as the rival assassin, which... might mean either PvP (either a mode, or invasions... Doom Eternal marketed that but hasn't delivered) or PvE (i.e. it's a mode or missions in singleplayer). Interesting, but also... eh, we'll see I guess.

I'm still interested, still cautious.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'm still not sold on certain aspects and gimmicks potentially but overall because it's Arkane and the crew that gave us the Dishonored games I have a healthy benefit of the doubt.

I can definitely tell it's them and that's very good news for me.

Deathloop will only be console exclusive to PS5 for one year...after September 14, 2022, the game can appear on other consoles...

like this
like this
This looks fun as all hell with some of the best mechanics from the Dishonored series.

Coincidentally, I'm replaying through the entire Arkane catalogue now starting from Arx Fatalis - Dishonored 2. Out of any studio, they seem to have released the most consistently good games. Hopefully, Bethesda continues to let them do their thing.

the more I hear about this the more I like...

developer Arkane Studios has revealed that the game will offer no difficulty options and players can only have a single save file...that means no save-scumming and no easy mode...instead, players will be playing with an “adaptive difficulty” system in place...

https://gameranx.com/updates/id/247335/article/deathloop-only-offers-players-a-single-save-file/
Only casual players won't be able to save scum.

In my opinion, designing your game with a limited save system in mind is idiotic. I already have to deal with my daily life of making choices and living with them. I don't need that in the hobby I entertain for escapism.

Only casual players won't be able to save scum.

In my opinion, designing your game with a limited save system in mind is idiotic. I already have to deal with my daily life of making choices and living with them. I don't need that in the hobby I entertain for escapism.
That's one thing, you'd have to replay the entire game to try a different choice midway through, thanks but no thanks, I'd rather not.

The adaptive difficulty is even worse. What if I want a harder challenge, or don't feel like grinding and want to take it easy? This is BS, I hope they reverse course.

So when the game crashes or you need to do something else they punish the player by forcing them to restart. Got it. What great logic! /S

And having a multiplayer component? If it can be played without other people that would be good. If this is online always, I'm out. Improper save systems have burned me too many times. They don't guarantee the game won't crash or have some bug that impedes progress and I can't guarantee I can finish a 15 minute to 3 hour run without requiring to stop.

Shame, I was looking forward to this game.

FFS, it's even worse. They say there will be no mid mission saving, because of the "multiplayer component" So if the game crashes or you need to quit for any reason during a mission, then you loose all progress since the beginning of the level. What is this an 1991 arcade game?

FFS, it's even worse. They say there will be no mid mission saving, because of the "multiplayer component" So if the game crashes or you need to quit for any reason during a mission, then you loose all progress since the beginning of the level. What is this an 1991 arcade game?

there's a million games with the usual save mechanics and gameplay loop...it's good to get a game that tries to be a bit different...Arkane has a solid reputation with a dedicated following and they seem to revel in their niche status with games like Dishonored, Prey etc

there's a million games with the usual save mechanics and gameplay loop...it's good to get a game that tries to be a bit different...Arkane has a solid reputation with a dedicated following and they seem to revel in their niche status with games like Dishonored, Prey etc
If they want to do something different that's fine, but they need to convince me why is it better. Different for the sake of being different is not enough.

Not being able to save during a mission at all, is a giant QOL PITA, one that we left behind 20 years ago. Or at least should've.

I perfectly understand that saves could be exploited to interfere with their "core concept" And it's a player choice. If someone wants to do thta let em. Dictating how people should play your game always comes through as obnoxious.

Last edited:
If they want to do something different that's fine, but they need to convince me why is it better. Different for the sake of being different is not enough.

they explained in the article why saves are not allowed...death is a key component of the game..."We do not want the players to avoid or to miss what is an essential part of the Deathloop DNA"...Deathloop’s whole deal is that the player character will die, and will have to restart the loop in order to experience everything the game has to offer

they explained in the article why saves are not allowed...death is a key component of the game..."We do not want the players to avoid or to miss what is an essential part of Deathloop DNA"...Deathloop’s whole deal is that the player character will die, and will have to restart the loop in order to experience everything the game has to offer
And you should've also read the third paragraph of my comment, because I already addressed this then and there!

they explained in the article why saves are not allowed...death is a key component of the game..."We do not want the players to avoid or to miss what is an essential part of the Deathloop DNA"...Deathloop’s whole deal is that the player character will die, and will have to restart the loop in order to experience everything the game has to offer
It's okay, I'm sure you can save scum this game the same way you can in the Souls games (copy pasta).

That last video they put up... I'm fine with the mechanic. I'm pretty much sold on this. The more settings the merrier because it just means a broader base of people potentially will buy it and probably like it. Everyone wins.

EDIT: Got to refine the comments a bit now that I've absorbed more since making this post. I'm not 100 percent sold.

Last edited:
That last video they put up... I'm fine with the mechanic. I'm pretty much sold on this. The more settings the merrier because it just means a broader base of people potentially will buy it and probably like it. Everyone wins.
The last video was the pre-order trailer, I assume you are not talking about that. So which is it, and what settings?

The last video was the pre-order trailer, I assume you are not talking about that. So which is it, and what settings?

Some of this. No clue about settings.

I am playing catch up on some information since that video and everyone's posts since I have been out of the loop a bit.

Let me shift my language and get more specific now that I've info overloaded myself.

The save issue is arguably the biggest reason why I have not preordered this and likely won't. That's new for me on an Arkane game.

Day one buy? Probably not. Full price? Probably not unless I learn something between now and then that is way better than what we know at present.

I would say if this weren't Arkane and specifically the crew responsible for the Dishonored games I would have considerably less interest. Everyone is due for a miss and this might end up being theirs but the jury is out. The benefit of the doubt will only go so far.

I'm 60/40 sold and that's with a freely admitted Dishonored fanboy bias. Take that bias and benefit out of the doubt out and I'm in negative territory. Six months ago I was 30/70 against and that's with the bias.

I'm looking at your comments, Armenius, Flogger, and some others... can't disagree with any of those concerns as is.

Save scumming... yeah, it could come to that. We'll see. There are also nice things called trainers although that's usually a sign of a bad game if I have to whip one of those out.

Always online and an MP component definitely would muck up the works.

The game is basically a rogue or rogue lite with this dubious save setup as is. I'm terrible at those games as my attempt to play Returnal recently on PS5 sadly reminded me again. An impressive title but I just can't cut it.

I do see clear Arkane sensibilities in the game itself that show me a solid experience is potentially possible but there is a big if here.

I sincerely hope between now and release we learn more specific information that puts concerns at least down a bit and I really hope they can at least add settings or something to help a potentially major and (at least for some if not most) critical game breaker setup.

Last edited:

Exactly. There need to be save points, or a checkpoint at least. It really won't take away from the experience. The game is design around multiple runs, so you won't be able to finish it in one run anyways.

like this
My biggest concern is not even the save issue, the game's premise is so absurd that I see zero chance of getting invested in the story, meaning I won't give a damn about making bad decisions anyway.

So the main cause for alarm is the adaptive difficulty. Or as I'd say the game will punish you for being good at it and reward you for being bad at it. Not very appealing.

like this
sometimes you just need to look at the developer...I had some concerns when the very first trailer for Deathloop was released as far as story...but then I realized that this is Arkane Studios...I loved the Dishonored series (after initially having my doubts about the animation style and gameplay)...Prey was also a huge surprise...some developers you just trust are going to nail the gameplay- Arkane has earned that right...ever since the first Dishonored game in 2012 have they made a bad game?...you can say Wolfenstein: Youngblood but that was mainly developed by MachineGames

like this
sometimes you just need to look at the developer...I had some concerns when the very first trailer for Deathloop was released as far as story...but then I realized that this is Arkane Studios...I loved the Dishonored series (after initially having my doubts about the animation style and gameplay)...Prey was also a huge surprise...some developers you just trust are going to nail the gameplay- Arkane has earned that right...ever since the first Dishonored game in 2012 have they made a bad game?...you can say Wolfenstein: Youngblood but that was mainly developed by MachineGames
You say have faith? I only trust evidence, and all evidence so far shows that this will not be a game to get. Prey was a negative surprise for me, after believing all the praise it got I never could get into it. I liked dishonored but in spite of the animation style, and character designs, not because of it.
With all the personnel fluctuations a company name is no guarantee for anything. I judge every game on a case by case basis and not on past glory or failure of the developer.

Back