Deathloop (Arkane Studios)

The game world is dense AF, but it really does get old playing those same maps over and over. Especially when you're only trying to accomplish maybe 1-2 things per run. Neat idea that I'm glad they tried, but I prefer traditional progression.

I read an article around release time making the case that Prey: Mooncrash is a better Deathloop than Deathloop. I don't know yet. The cheap mimic jumpscares in Prey got so old that I haven't gone back yet for DLC. I've seen some downward trends in design from Arkane tracing from Dishonored to Dishonored 2 to Prey.

I read an article around release time making the case that Prey: Mooncrash is a better Deathloop than Deathloop. I don't know yet. The cheap mimic jumpscares in Prey got so old that I haven't gone back yet for DLC. I've seen some downward trends in design from Arkane tracing from Dishonored to Dishonored 2 to Prey.

when Deathloop was first released it got so many 10/10 review scores (from reputable sites)...I think it won or was nominated for a bunch of Game Awards as well for level design etc...I'm a big fan of really good level design (no one does it better than From Software)

I thought Prey was better than Dishonored 2, but I generally agree.

I enjoyed Prey a lot. I'm actually a little disappointed I didn't support it at launch, but the name threw me off. I dug it just as much as Dishonored 1 and Dark Messiah. Dishonored 2 was decent, but it felt a little phoned in at times.

I feel like Deathloop could be a 5-star game to some people. It's the most story-forward of their games and replaying the different levels at different times offers a lot more insight into the world and people in it. It's possibly the most flexible open world since Far Cry 1, too. There are so many different ways to approach things. I wouldn't call it divisive as I don't think many people will hate it, but I think some people might absolutely love it.

All of this is accurate. Mooncrash does do "Deathloop" better, too.

The game world is dense AF, but it really does get old playing those same maps over and over. Especially when you're only trying to accomplish maybe 1-2 things per run. Neat idea that I'm glad they tried, but I prefer traditional progression.
I agree, I loved the graphics and design but the gameplay just left me cold. I really wanted to enjoy it, but I didn't.

I enjoyed Prey a lot. I'm actually a little disappointed I didn't support it at launch, but the name threw me off. I dug it just as much as Dishonored 1 and Dark Messiah. Dishonored 2 was decent, but it felt a little phoned in at times.

I feel like Deathloop could be a 5-star game to some people. It's the most story-forward of their games and replaying the different levels at different times offers a lot more insight into the world and people in it. It's possibly the most flexible open world since Far Cry 1, too. There are so many different ways to approach things. I wouldn't call it divisive as I don't think many people will hate it, but I think some people might absolutely love it.

I think Dishonored had a much better story than Deathloop. Deathloop was all flash, little substance. Replaying the same levels many times did get old even if they changed during different times of the day. It was a nice concept but traditional game progression is better, even if it brings you back to the same levels.

I started this today...the game has a great visual style but the gameplay is really confusing early on...sort of has that Bioshock meets Dishonored look...ray-tracing looks nice (RT sun shadows and RT ambient occlusion)...I enabled DLAA as well which has a big performance hit but it's worth it...

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I'm going to try and go for the loop.on vacation going to knock off the npcs in the right order. Or maybe get sucked into play Baldurs Gate classic. I didn't know you could zoom in with middle mouse wheel.

Last edited:
Deathloop – Official Xbox and Game Pass Launch Trailer

coming to Xbox + Game Pass (Console, PC, Cloud) on September 20th...also a free 'Golden Loop update' has been added, which includes a new weapon, new enemy types, new upgrades, cross-platform matchmaking for PvP, and a newly extended ending...

I finished this up last night...when I first started playing this it was a struggle as I wasn't really into it and barely touched it most days...the mechanics and gameplay were also a bit convoluted...but then it all started to click and I really started to enjoy the game...this game got a lot of awards and high praise from critics and I can see why...most games are just copycats of other games and there's very few developers that dare to be different

Deathloop was very unique...I love that Arkane wants to make games that try and break the mold...I don't think the game is a 10/10 like a lot of other review sites but I can understand why it got those high scores...the whole repeating loop gameplay element combined with cool powers and weapons was a lot of fun- combo Bioshock meets Dishonored...the art style is basically the same from Dishonored but this time with ray-traced ambient occlusion and sun shadows added

I also love the pvp invasion multiplayer...really fun battling other players...the game is not difficult so having those other players invade you adds to the overall experience...voice acting was excellent (the actress playing Julianna is the same one who played Alyx in the recent Half Life: Alyx VR game)

my main criticism of the game is that the side missions don't really reward you with anything interesting...and like I mentioned earlier the difficulty is not that high...other than that I recommend this game if you want to try something a bit different...yes the gameplay itself where you shoot and stab things is not any different to most other games but the overall presentation of the story (which was interesting), gameplay mechanics, settings, graphics and voice acting make this a very good game

Grade: 89/100...so a B+ as close to an A- as possible

Attachments

• Deathloop.png
    Deathloop.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Game Update 4 available now

this major update includes an extended ending for the game, a new weapon, a new power, new enemies, crossplay and more...

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1252330/view/6028653879563223720

I'm glad they added an Extended Ending as the original ending felt really abrupt...also good to see one of the improvements added in this new patch is: Refined rewards for several side missions...that was one of my main criticisms of the game prior to this new patch

Last edited:
Pretty cool that they added some additional content to the game for the re-release. Now that I understand how it works, revisiting it for another playthrough in 6-8 months might be enjoyable. It's one of those games that I enjoyed a lot more after realizing how the world worked.

I finished this up last night...when I first started playing this it was a struggle as I wasn't really into it and barely touched it most days...the mechanics and gameplay were also a bit convoluted...but then it all started to click and I really started to enjoy the game...this game got a lot of awards and high praise from critics and I can see why...most games are just copycats of other games and there's very few developers that dare to be different

Deathloop was very unique...I love that Arkane wants to make games that try and break the mold...I don't think the game is a 10/10 like a lot of other review sites but I can understand why it got those high scores...the whole repeating loop gameplay element combined with cool powers and weapons was a lot of fun- combo Bioshock meets Dishonored...the art style is basically the same from Dishonored but this time with ray-traced ambient occlusion and sun shadows added

I also love the pvp invasion multiplayer...really fun battling other players...the game is not difficult so having those other players invade you adds to the overall experience...voice acting was excellent (the actress playing Julianna is the same one who played Alyx in the recent Half Life: Alyx VR game)

my main criticism of the game is that the side missions don't really reward you with anything interesting...and like I mentioned earlier the difficulty is not that high...other than that I recommend this game if you want to try something a bit different...yes the gameplay itself where you shoot and stab things is not any different to most other games but the overall presentation of the story (which was interesting), gameplay mechanics, settings, graphics and voice acting make this a very good game

Grade: 89/100...so a B+ as close to an A- as possible

I played the new Extended ending available with the latest patch...I was expecting the story to be explained in a lot more detail but the new ending is basically the same as the previous one...just an extended cutscene...yes it's better but still as mysterious and vague as the original ending...the new Slab is meh, new weapon is better...the new mini-boss and enemy type is the best part of the new content

really underrated game...took awhile for things to click for me and fully enjoy the gameplay but once it does it's another Arkane diamond in the rough

really underrated game...took awhile for things to click for me and fully enjoy the gameplay but once it does it's another Arkane diamond in the rough
Hoping so, seen good, bad, great, and OK things about it, but at $12 it was a no-brainer.

Hoping so, seen good, bad, great, and OK things about it, but at $12 it was a no-brainer.

It is worth $12. It wasn't the best game ever, but certainly fun. At launch it had stuttering issues which were annoying. Not sure if those were fixed.

Back