Deathloop (Arkane Studios)

Ha, I love on how the front page of Steam's site it's Deathloop that's prominent, displaying its various 10/10 badges and stars from media. Then you hover over it and user reviews: mixed. :troll: there's some kind of a disconnect here
Like with anything on the internet, both extremes are useless. Nerds engaging in all-or-nothing, 0 or 10 stars with no nuance or in-between are not worth trying to take seriously.

Ha, I love on how the front page of Steam's site it's Deathloop that's prominent, displaying its various 10/10 badges and stars from media. Then you hover over it and user reviews: mixed. :troll: there's some kind of a disconnect here
Between confirmation bias, shilling, politics and review bombing, there is nobody to trust when it comes to entertainment. We sail totally blind.

any game with Denuvo always seems to bring out people claiming performance issues...who knows how much of it is real, how much of it is people with GTX 970 cards complaining they can't run the game maxed out and how much is just people hating Denuvo...probably a combination

Between confirmation bias, shilling, politics and review bombing, there is nobody to trust when it comes to entertainment. We sail totally blind.
To a degree. Some people are able to formulate rational and objective opinions. (Unshakable) Faith is the true problem.

any game with Denuvo always seems to bring out people claiming performance issues...who knows how much of it is real, how much of it is people with GTX 970 cards complaining they can't run the game maxed out and how much is just people hating Denuvo...probably a combination
I can both dislike Denuvo and have the hardware to make it a non-issue.

That's a little dramatic. It's a videogame with a 2hr refund policy. You're not buying a condo.

As always best to experience it yourself, and make up your own mind.

most modern AAA games cannot be appreciated within the first 2 hours...a lot of times that's just the prologue or very early parts...not a good enough barometer to determine the quality...you can somewhat judge performance within that time but not much else

most modern AAA games cannot be appreciated within the first 2 hours...a lot of times that's just the prologue or very early parts...not a good enough barometer to determine the quality...you can somewhat judge performance within that time but not much else
True but my point was only about gauging the technical merits of the game, not the artistic merits or whether someone subjectively "likes" the game.

Two hours should be enough time to determine if a game is going to run properly on your system from a technical standpoint; if the reports about "stuttering" are either overblown or just mostly apply more to people with potato PC's - or just anyone without the self-respect to run at least a RTX 3090, etc

Last edited:
I fired up a PS5 pad (via Bluetooth) and it works great via Steam. Maybe even a little too well. Seems almost everything you do elicits something from it. Including those micro-dashes that = the run button in most games. I can see some of the various shaking effects getting old after a little while, but it's neat for now. I prefer to aim via an Xbox pad most of the time, but I'm going with the Dualsense this time around.

That's a little dramatic. It's a videogame with a 2hr refund policy. You're not buying a condo.

Unfortunately steam's prices are at a premium here in the eu. And no game is worth $70 for me. And I'm not sleazy enough to buy the game on steam, then refund it whether I like it or not, and then buy it locally cheaper.

20210916013058_1.jpg
20210916015204_1.jpg
20210916014609_1.jpg

Game is totally different no save scumming If you trigger the alert or die you start the level over. On the above screenshot your suppose to Jump and you die you start over but you get a code from the back of a postcard to end the level which had a locked door that required a key code. Graphics are really good but I suspect the good stuff is in End Game which I heard is only 6-8 hour game =)

Last edited:
There are plenty of games with no save scumming, that hardly makes it new or unique.

There isn't many FPS like that where you just start over unless it's Call of Duty.
I guess the NPCs are pretty dumb we'll see if they can outsmart my brain power later on.

Bought it yesterday and finished about three hours of it. Maybe an hour was spent testing various settings and seeing what those affected.

I would be surprised if Arkane isn't working on some kind of performance patch (or two!)- the game's state is very similar to Dishonored 2 on launch. In this game, you should be at either 60 or 120FPS- but even those have their issues: just circle strafe around a static object to see some odd stutter. RT lighting/shadow implementation is a bit of a mess as it interacts with the existing global illumination. There's an early spot where a video clip is played using a projector on a wall- and of course the player doesn't generate a shadow- did I expect it to work that way? For a "next-gen" game yeah, maybe a little. Radeon's overlay tells me it's using well over 14GB of VRAM so there's something very bad going on with that too, as the game believes it's under 9GB or so in the settings menu. There's either input lag or input detection issues, as sometimes I can't get certain prompts to trigger. I had to mess with the mouse settings too- I highly doubt it's using raw input.

Gameplay-wise I'm not at all surprised as it's very clearly a descendant of Dishonored 2 and Prey. So the "dumb AI" is just about as smart as the AI was in those games. Certain levels pack just as many enemies as in Dishonored 2's biggest maps. You can absolutely get away with the same kinds of moves from either of those previous games, and that'll either be welcome or annoying.

I like the world-building and setting, maps have multiple routes (again, unsurprisingly similar to- and have similar visual cues to Dishonored 2).

I think quicksave/quickload is something PC games need because unlike consoles we can't just "sleep" the game in the background and come back to it later. If you don't finish a level in Deathloop (where you either die, or reach the "exit") you will have to do that same level from the beginning again with no progress (good or bad) saved.

20210916105358_1.jpg

Loadout menu can only be accessed when you start or finish a level.

20210916102414_1.jpg

Swamped with Cultist but you can return to this level I guess once you leave. There is a staircase where you can avoid everyone but then there is a energy wall with Cultiest shooting at ya down the stairs on the other side of the electric barricade.

Last edited:
The stuttering is real I had like second pauses in the game even with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Overall I still have no real complaints and am enjoying getting my Dishonored/Prey on a bit with some twists.

120Hz (75/90/100Hz, too) still looks jank with the beta, but I figure that's probably pretty low on their list of things to update.

Game runs fine on my setup, but i've got a weird bug at startup where I have to alt-tab about 5 times to get into the game.

Game runs fine on my setup, but i've got a weird bug at startup where I have to alt-tab about 5 times to get into the game.
Hi Mcshart, I had this issue with a number of (but not all) games in the past, I finally found out it was due to a sticky notes program I had running. Once I closed it the issue disappeared. Not sure if it's related or truly a bug with Deathloop for you

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, on max non-raytracing settings this game runs butter smooth on my 3080ti w/ g-sync. Although i'm confident g-sync is causing my weird start-up issue where the videos don't show initially and I have to alt-tab.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Honestly, on max non-raytracing settings this game runs butter smooth on my 3080ti w/ g-sync. Although i'm confident g-sync is causing my weird start-up issue where the videos don't show initially and I have to alt-tab.
Same experience last night after finally getting a few hours to play. 3080 and LG 48" @ 4K. No "stuttering" , and I was eagle eyeing it waiting/hoping to get mad. No crashes or hitching anywhere.

And based on my vast, anecdotal n=1 experience with the game I can only conclude the people claiming "stuttering" are either running potato PCs, or maybe even making it up for attention - like I could totally see Comix attempting a stunt like that.

Anyhoo, 3.5 hours passed like 5 min with this game. Its that kind of game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I've never heard of somebody screwing up something as simple as smooth camera panning...

20210919070733_1.jpg

This game is more like Back to the Future mix in some npc Dark souls invasions screenshot is your character talking to yourself asking why Comixbooks keeps dying in stupid spots like falling through the ice. Switched off vsync unlimited fps used 120fps no stutters or freezes.

I'm on a 3090 and still not happy with how the game performs. It's not that the FPS aren't there - it's mainly that panning around simply isn't smooth looking. The longer I play, the worse it gets. At first it'll seem butter smooth and the longer I play, the worse looking around gets. That's with the "juliannashotme" patch applied, too.

I'm on a 3090 and still not happy with how the game performs. It's not that the FPS aren't there - it's mainly that panning around simply isn't smooth looking. The longer I play, the worse it gets. At first it'll seem butter smooth and the longer I play, the worse looking around gets. That's with the "juliannashotme" patch applied, too.
Different GPU, same sentiment.

Man, anything by Arcane gets my attention... but this gives me Bioshock meets Left4dead vibes. That may be what the market seems to like at the moment, but it really isn't my thing. Dishonored and Prey were incredible, more of that would have been my choice, but maybe they are trying to diversify. I hope that's it, because if this turns out to be Bethesda cramming their round SP centric Developer into a square MP hole I'm going to be upset. Didn't work out for EA with BioWare and watching Arcane turn into a shell of its former self in the same way would be an epic shame.

Are VRAM or normal RAM usages going up over time? Or maybe it’s using more GPU power as time goes on for some reason?

Man, anything by Arcane gets my attention... but this gives me Bioshock meets Left4dead vibes. That may be what the market seems to like at the moment, but it really isn't my thing. Dishonored and Prey were incredible, more of that would have been my choice, but maybe they are trying to diversify. I hope that's it, because if this turns out to be Bethesda cramming their round SP centric Developer into a square MP hole I'm going to be upset. Didn't work out for EA with BioWare and watching Arcane turn into a shell of its former self in the same way would be an epic shame.

Not sure where you’re getting Left 4 Dead from. From what I’ve seen, it’s basically Dishonord but as a rogue-lite.

Deathloop PC vs PS5, Optimised Settings, Performance Testing + More

I always appreciate their videos. I'm a little surprised they don't drop shadows all the way since that's far and away the easiest way to get back easy FPS with little visual difference.

I love the game, quirks and all. It's sucked me in. I'm getting my Dishonored/Prey on and the story starts getting pretty darned interesting after you've been through the "loop" a couple of times.

20210919211921_1.jpg

Just finished the Hanger after 4-5 attempts I had it the 2nd time but the Airplane Hanger would fill with green gas on the bottom so when I tried to open the door I would die but on the last attempt the door the top right was open. The first few times I killed the boss I would use the ability and the game locked up not once on me but twice when trying to use the ability no idea why. I think it was a bug with my Controller and the PC and menus. The Blam gun was hiding under a pillow at the last attempt.

If you stealth a level in a game when running back to the exit is a pain because you ran past everyone on the way back.
You just know this game is going to get some DLC it's way too short.

Last edited:
Back