Death Stranding (first title from Kojima Productions)

So, what are the general opinions of this game, anyway? Good, bad, tedious, exciting, misunderstood?

Just reading the last 3 pages of that thread is like bizzaro world. Building roads, mashing "like," and delivering random items seems...odd.
Lucky for them, we're in the summer game doldrums and the only other thing on my radar (for months) is replaying TLoU2.
I might see if I can find a deal on CDKeys or Greeman or something.

Just reading the last 3 pages of that thread is like bizzaro world. Building roads, mashing "like," and delivering random items seems...odd.
Lucky for them, we're in the summer game doldrums and the only other thing on my radar (for months) is replaying TLoU2.
I might see if I can find a deal on CDKeys or Greeman or something.

I can be more detailed, but my answer is I beleive correct. I haven't played but was interested so I dove through all the comments for weeks on the net and watched videos to came to my conclusion, yes.

If you like the idea of spending 40ish hours manhandling Remus and his load over terrain, with the occational encounter with people or ghosts, but largely just trudging over increasingly difficult terrain. Get it.

If the reward for those 40 hours of work of some kind of cooperatively built nice looking infrastructure and vehicles, where you need to deliver more parts to both build and upkeep it, but have some degree of help from others playing (concern is others have to be playing) then go for it.

If you like large chunks of in game movie to listen and watch, in traditional Kojima style, then get it.

If the above has you on the fence, or like me realize you likely won't have the time or patience to make it past the first 40 hours, don't get it or grab it deeply on sale.

Death Stranding on PC is a great version of a very weird game

Death Stranding is perfectly playable with a keyboard and mouse, and the controls have been intuitively mapped. But it's clear it was designed with a gamepad in mind, and I prefer it that way...in terms of performance, the game runs well on my PC...that's with an RTX 2080 Super, 16GB of RAM, and an Intel Core i7-9700K, running at 4K/60 fps

I've had no frame drops or frame pacing issues during play, and everything feels deliciously smooth and snappy...this is the first PC game to use Guerrilla's Decima engine, and it's an impressive showcase for it...Death Stranding uses performance capture and photogrammetry, the result of which is hyper-detailed characters (Mads Mikkelsen is scarily lifelike) and natural, realistic terrain...it's very handsome, and naturally, looks its best on PC...

https://www.pcgamer.com/death-stranding-on-pc-is-a-great-version-of-a-very-weird-game/

based on the gameplay, sounds like a wait for sale game for me...

Death Stranding on PC is a great version of a very weird game

Death Stranding is perfectly playable with a keyboard and mouse, and the controls have been intuitively mapped. But it's clear it was designed with a gamepad in mind, and I prefer it that way...in terms of performance, the game runs well on my PC...that's with an RTX 2080 Super, 16GB of RAM, and an Intel Core i7-9700K, running at 4K/60 fps

I've had no frame drops or frame pacing issues during play, and everything feels deliciously smooth and snappy...this is the first PC game to use Guerrilla's Decima engine, and it's an impressive showcase for it...Death Stranding uses performance capture and photogrammetry, the result of which is hyper-detailed characters (Mads Mikkelsen is scarily lifelike) and natural, realistic terrain...it's very handsome, and naturally, looks its best on PC...

https://www.pcgamer.com/death-stranding-on-pc-is-a-great-version-of-a-very-weird-game/

based on the gameplay, sounds like a wait for sale game for me...

My concern with waiting is the social media/psuedo coop aspect of the game, seems like its a pretty big part of act 2 on and just how much would you be missing once everyone has moved on...

But does it show "Produced by Hideo Kojima" for 10 seconds after each level and cutscene? :D

BTW, wasn't this supposed to be an egs exclusive?

But does it show "Produced by Hideo Kojima" for 10 seconds after each level and cutscene? :D

BTW, wasn't this supposed to be an egs exclusive?
No? Maybe it was a rumor you saw due to most titles that were previously exclusive to Sony are making EGS deals. The original PC announcement always referenced Steam.

My concern with waiting is the social media/psuedo coop aspect of the game, seems like its a pretty big part of act 2 on and just how much would you be missing once everyone has moved on...

I never even heard about this co-op aspect...what is it?...other players jump into your game and you play the 2nd half together?...is co-op mandatory?

I never even heard about this co-op aspect...what is it?...other players jump into your game and you play the 2nd half together?...is co-op mandatory?

More like social media from my understanding, things players build or are building show up in your world, giving and receiving likes makes a difference, structures need to be maintained, etc. and everyone works together.

More like social media from my understanding, things players build or are building show up in your world, giving and receiving likes makes a difference, structures need to be maintained, etc.

doesn't sound like anything amazing to me as far as experiencing it on Day 1

It's easy enough to build your own stuff, so it's really not a requirement. It does make some parts easier to the point where I wonder if it would be a better experience without. Example - a difficult-to-traverse area made trivial by someone putting a ladder there or rope so you don't really have to do any work.

That said, I haven't logged into the PS4 version in awhile...I might have to go back and see how the game world has changed.

It's easy enough to build your own stuff, so it's really not a requirement. It does make some parts easier to the point where I wonder if it would be a better experience without. Example - a difficult-to-traverse area made trivial by someone putting a ladder there or rope so you don't really have to do any work.

That said, I haven't logged into the PS4 version in awhile...I might have to go back and see how the game world has changed.

They sure hyped it in the videos i watched, and while i understand how it can be cool for shared worlds etc, but for every picasso with minecraft there is a million people that build a heap of junk.

They sure hyped it in the videos i watched, and while i understand how it can be cool for shared worlds etc, but for every picasso with minecraft there is a million people that build a heap of junk.

You only see a certain amount of stuff, and it's semi-random. Once you get to a certain level, you can make "contracts" with other online players, which makes it more likely to see their structures. I think you are also more likely to see your friends' structures, if they play the game as well.

You can also manually dismantle anything in the world that you don't want there, like say someone puts a charging station in a weird place, you can just remove it from your world instance.

It's honestly a pretty cool mechanic, but I wouldn't say it's necessary for the game to be fun or playable. People are still playing the PS4 version, so I wouldn't worry about being late to the party.

Thankfully, many games that were Sony exclusive are now being released on Steam (ie the "movie games" of Detroid Become Human et al, admittedly after a period of disappointing EGS exclusivity as I recall), and upcoming titles like Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition are coming right to PC via Steam. Death Stranding has taken a long time to come to PC unfortunately, but at least it is arriving on Steam and with what seems to be a decent port. I'll be buying not just because I enjoy Kojima games but also the quality of the port and its Steam release; only thing better would be a native Linux client!

Edit: Regarding the multi player mechanics, it does seem like both a neat thematic and gameplay element. As Maverick said you can dismantle things, but generally they're going to be there to help you rather than impede you. Places to charge your equipment, shelters from harsh environments, or even a piece of cargo some other player lost that you can turn in for bonus points (can't remember if they get something too) etc... one of the game's rather timely themes is community and reconnection so generally the things you see from others will be a benefit one way or another.

$60 on Steam seems a bit high...another reason to wait...

I admit its a bit higher than I'd like given the time since console launch, but you can pick it up for about $45 even as a pre-order; perhaps less on some keyselling sites. GMG has it for $46 right now, for instance.

Since I was intending to buy the game out of interest anyway, the fact that it came to Steam (no EGS exclusivity) on day 1 , seems to be a well made PC port, isn't predicated on garbage monetization, and the availability of a 20%+ discount even as a pre-order clinches it for me. I'd like to send a very strong signal to Sony/KojimaProduction etc... to dispense with exclusivity and that the PC via Steam(specifically without relying on store exclusivity by contract) is a viable market, most of all.

Releasing July 14.

On PC the game has a 240 FPS limit, support for 21:9 resolutions, DLSS 2.0, and FidelityFX Contrast Aware Sharpening (CAS).
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/death-stranding-pc-dlss-performance-preview

If you don't have and ad blocker for Tom's you'll want the archive since their ad layout is cancer.
https://archive.vn/AZvgH

more hats!?
1593642047597.png

this one looks familiar....
1593642079555.png

I admit its a bit higher than I'd like given the time since console launch, but you can pick it up for about $45 even as a pre-order; perhaps less on some keyselling sites. GMG has it for $46 right now, for instance.

Since I was intending to buy the game out of interest anyway, the fact that it came to Steam (no EGS exclusivity) on day 1 , seems to be a well made PC port, isn't predicated on garbage monetization, and the availability of a 20%+ discount even as a pre-order clinches it for me. I'd like to send a very strong signal to Sony/KojimaProduction etc... to dispense with exclusivity and that the PC via Steam(specifically without relying on store exclusivity by contract) is a viable market, most of all.
RDR2 Did the same thing. $60 for PC version for an already year old game.

RDR2 Did the same thing. $60 for PC version for an already year old game.
If the developer just threw the console version on the PC with no changes then I would be bothered by the charging of full price. Since both this and Horizon look to have actually taken time to do right for PC gamers then I have no issues with the price considering the extra time and money the developer spent to make it happen.

Death Stranding review (PC Gamer)

The game is essentially a feature-length fetch quest...but the environment, and the many challenges it throws at you, makes these trips worth enduring...this curiously Scandinavian landscape is serenely beautiful, with a grand sense of scale and a bewitching atmosphere...as I trek across the continent I see enormous, cascading waterfalls, snowy mountains, steam-spewing volcanic fissures, raging rivers, dense forests, and wide, grassy plains—and it all looks, and sounds, stunning...

https://www.pcgamer.com/death-stranding-review/

Death Stranding PC review (PCGamesN)

Death Stranding, a game that can be achingly boring, but uses that boredom in such a way that even the most mundane problem becomes somehow exciting...on your journey, you often depend on other players – real players and NPCs you never get to see, as you help each other by building bridges and shelters everyone can use...you can press a button to call out for them as you would a person, and they will answer, making things less lonely for a moment. It’s a fascinating idea for a multiplayer element in an otherwise single-player game, it works well and is often sorely needed

For all intents and purposes, Death Stranding is often a fairly conventional game behind the veneer of an artistic fever dream...as always with Kojima, either you’re on board or you’re off...this time, I was firmly on, and it wasn’t for the story, it was for this weird, thrilling, and sometimes deeply boring experience...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/death-stranding/review-pc

Anyone with the code can redeem it. Not tied to the card in any way except for the purchase portion.
NVIDIA started locking codes to the type of card. If you try to use the Death Stranding code on a PC that doesn't have a RTX 20-series video card it won't work.

i7-9700K + GTX1080, I'm getting just over 70FPS at 1440p with everything on/max except FidelityFX which I think was disabled by default. I basically went with the default graphics settings; it looks kinda blurry compared to PS4, so I'm betting that I need to either disable TAA or enable FidelityFX and drop motion blur since my monitor probably adds enough of that. I'm supposed to be working, so it'll have to be later today before I start tweaking settings.

Looks like the cut scenes are locked to 60FPS, which I think is fine. Games feel good to play at higher frame rates, but cut scenes start to look weird when the characters are too fast/smooth. I think I'm gonna go lock Deus Ex HR or MD to 30 FPS and see what that looks like.

i7-9700K + GTX1080, I'm getting just over 70FPS at 1440p with everything on/max except FidelityFX which I think was disabled by default. I basically went with the default graphics settings; it looks kinda blurry compared to PS4, so I'm betting that I need to either disable TAA or enable FidelityFX and drop motion blur since my monitor probably adds enough of that. I'm supposed to be working, so it'll have to be later today before I start tweaking settings.

Looks like the cut scenes are locked to 60FPS, which I think is fine. Games feel good to play at higher frame rates, but cut scenes start to look weird when the characters are too fast/smooth. I think I'm gonna go lock Deus Ex HR or MD to 30 FPS and see what that looks like.
Make sure you don't have any resolution scaling enabled. I've run into a lot of games released in the past couple years that have had dynamic resolution scaling enabled by default. I would also definitely recommend using TAA with FidelityFX Sharpening or DLSS without TAA.

Back