Death Stranding (first title from Kojima Productions)

from what I'm reading the game is not very demanding at all...people with 980Ti report playing at 1440p 60fps with most settings maxed

is the game really 70 hours long?...normally I love long games but for a game like this where walking around is most of the gameplay it seems long...pretty much every review I've read (even the really positive ones) use the word 'boring' in some form in their review to describe the game/gameplay

from what I'm reading the game is not very demanding at all...people with 980Ti report playing at 1440p 60fps with most settings maxed

is the game really 70 hours long?...normally I love long games but for a game like this where walking around is most of the gameplay it seems long...pretty much every review I've read (even the really positive ones) use the word 'boring' in some form in their review to describe the game/gameplay
It was a very positive review I read that ultimately turned me away from the game as well.

I don't really have anything else new to play, so I bit. The weirdness of the world has me really curious and I'm going in expecting things to be a little slow.

Played the prologue - Game looks absolutely stunning in 4K HDR on my CX OLED. Locked 60fps with DLSS on quality and max in game settings. So much better than the ps4 pro version.

I just started today and all in all, its impressive. 1440p resolution (144 FPS cap, VSYNC on in the hopes if it working w/ FreeSync) on my Nvidia 1070 8GB. Set just about everything to the highest settings, including TAA + WhateverFX ; I don't have access to DLSS 2.0. Great performance overall, not sure of exact FPS ; only hitching I saw at all was during the introductory movie and none since.

As for the game itself... wow, talk about atmospheric. I should mention I'm generally way into Kojima titles so those less in on the themes and "weirdness" of his games may not feel the same, but so far its really quite impressive. The story alone is noteworthy and I'm rather glad I'm playing it for the first time now - somehow the ongoing Coronavirus epidemic, political divide and whatnot makes all of Death Stranding's themes and even mechanics seem somehow more topical and even prescient to a degree. Having finished the Prologue and just started the first "real" chapter (things get heavy fast, emotionally and literally with the first package you're "officially" commissioned to hike far off into the mountains) I'm certainly enjoying it.

Though I've seen very little of it so far, I should mention that it seems that players-helping-players is right there from the getgo. When I first set off on the first big mission, I found that fellow players had built a Sentinel Tower (which helps you identify items in the environment) right outside of the gate and when I went to cross a river, a ladder was placed over the ford making the trip faster and easier ; I gave both players "Likes", and look foward to being able to contribute. This should be something indeed.. and a reminder to go back and finish MGSV to 100%.

having not played this game how do you know which items were created by players and which ones are just a part of the vanilla game?...is it a different color or is it labeled as 'player created'?...can you interact with any other players in-game via messaging etc?...they should have just went with the Dark Souls messaging system were players leave messages on the ground for other players to read (some could be fake meant to trick the player)

players creating things like bridges, ladders etc for other players seems like a cheat

having not played this game how do you know which items were created by players and which ones are just a part of the vanilla game?...is it a different color or is it labeled as 'player created'?...can you interact with any other players in-game via messaging etc?...they should have just went with the Dark Souls messaging system were players leave messages on the ground for other players to read (some could be fake meant to trick the player)

players creating things like bridges, ladders etc for other players seems like a cheat

It says their name on it and you can thank them for it with a "like" as far as I know, I've only seen a few items like ladders/rope/bridge/etc but that was early on in the day, only got to play a few hours.

Here's some info I copied from another forum I lurk for game info:

- Full Steam Input support for all manner of Steam Compatible controllers and customisation

- Motion Controls from the original game work on gyro enabled controllers like Steam Controller, DS4 and Switch Pro

- The game lets you output audio from the baby, not only via DS4, but via any audio device. I tried it through my audio interface to guitar amps, which was hilarious!

- You can customise whether control prompts switch automatically between input types or are locked to Controller or M&KB, even when you switch between them (great for Steam Controller users doing Mouse+gamepad)

- You can choose the specific style of gamepad prompts - PS, XB, Steam, Nintendo!

Make sure you don't have any resolution scaling enabled. I've run into a lot of games released in the past couple years that have had dynamic resolution scaling enabled by default. I would also definitely recommend using TAA with FidelityFX Sharpening or DLSS without TAA.
I ended up with TAA + FidelityFX and I think around 75% sharpening and it looks good. I've been getting 90-100FPS still with everything cranked.

How can this game run so good and look so good at the same time? Even without dlss performance is excellent. There are games out there that look like complete outdated garbage compared to this yet run way way worse. In fact I've noticed in my experience that most games that are super demanding or run like crap are actually some of the worst looking games out there. It's as if people that don't know how to design a good-looking game also do not know how to optimize either.

As he mentioned, you can see their names on it. Often (if I'm correct) the names are sort of greenish , as opposed to stuff placed by/controlled by NPCs which are more blue. You can interact with players in a few "Dark Souls-esc, semi-indirect" methods. You can deliver "Lost" cargo which will get you an assortment of Likes; conversely, if you "lose/drop" cargo if someone delivers it on your behalf you can both benefit. You can also place "signs" which have a variety of interaction styles from the silly or conversational to requests and advice. You can also craft a certain amount of place-able items and, provided you're within a "connected" zone on your game (ie until you go to a new area and essentially hook up their wacky cell tower, they're not yet on the grid), you can use items that others have placed and they can do the same for you. Simple stuff like ladders and climbing ropes to porta-mailbox dropoff/storage locations, to more complex structures like places to recharge, upgrade, or hide from toxic environments are all involved. Using each of these items give you the chance to give "Likes" (which cost you nothing) when you come across them if they benefit you, and multiple users can work together to upgrade the features and viability of constructions as well, essentially splitting the cost.

Its less of a "cheat" but more of a core game mechanic AND theme. The entire game is about connecting vs disconnection, and so the thing of other "porters" working together and mutual benefit thereof is core to the game experience. Likewise, the first time you go to a new area you'll have to go all alone and there wont' be anything pre-fabbed waiting to ease your journey, but once you get them "hooked up" to the network then traversal becomes easier ; hell, the game even keeps track of your + others travels and literally wears paths/roads in to make the landscape easier to traverse as more players walk over it. Overall its a very cohesive story and game mechanic element that knows exactly what it wants to be.

How can this game run so good and look so good at the same time? Even without dlss performance is excellent. There are games out there that look like complete outdated garbage compared to this yet run way way worse. In fact I've noticed in my experience that most games that are super demanding or run like crap are actually some of the worst looking games out there. It's as if people that don't know how to design a good-looking game also do not know how to optimize either.

Haven't played this yet but graphically, it doesn't look that great. Not bad, but empty and barren with plastic looking people. So I can see why it runs well given the environments look large and empty.

Haven't played this yet but graphically, it doesn't look that great. Not bad, but empty and barren with plastic looking people. So I can see why it runs well given the environments look large and empty.
I think you need your eyes checked.

NVIDIA started locking codes to the type of card. If you try to use the Death Stranding code on a PC that doesn't have a RTX 20-series video card it won't work.

Weird. I redeemed and downloaded it overnight on RX 5700 XT but never launched it until 2080 Ti was in the rig. My bad for the false info.

Extensive use of photogrammetry. Look at other games that use it like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.
Weird. I redeemed and downloaded it overnight on RX 5700 XT but never launched it until 2080 Ti was in the rig. My bad for the false info.
Maybe they only do it with certain promotions.

Death Stranding Screenshot 2020.07.15 - 08.26.54.05.png

Screenshots don't really do this game justice. The photomode is pretty good though, it's like Shadow of the Tomb Raider photo mode mixed with NMS.

Wow I just really don't know what to think. Especially after the above screenshot..

This game looks amazing @ 4k with DLSS quality enabled and HDR. Honestly i'd say it's the best looking title i've seen to date. Metro Exodus is technically more advanced, but it on a whole doesn't look as good.

Also, the first few hours of this game are insanely well done. No game in recent history creeped me out as much.

can you use DLSS 2.0 and FidelityFX CAS at the same time or is it only one or the other based on if you have an RTX card (DLSS) or not (FidelityFX)?

can you use DLSS 2.0 and FidelityFX CAS at the same time or is it only one or the other based on if you have an RTX card (DLSS) or not (FidelityFX)?

Not in game, but nothing is stopping you from enabling DLSS then just enabling sharpening in Freestyle or the driver. It got upgraded to use the CAS algorithm a while back.

I don’t know why you would sharpen DLSS2.0 even if you could with in game options. DLSS doesn’t introduce blur and because you aren’t using TAA either there is no blur from that. DLSS does introduce some artifacts in very specific areas where you have intentional blur from depth of field, and any sharpening would make this worse.

Playing all setting maxed with DLSS and pegged at 60 FPS on my setup. 2080 Ti down-clocks to 1200-1600 and still runs game well. Great optimization. Game play is pretty fun so far. Only on level 2. Pretty much a walking sim though. Kinda confusing being a Kojima game too. And with my OCD, it sucks because I try to pick up EVERYTHING! And dropped items, in stead of just storing them, I feel like I have to lug it all back to the place of origin for delivery and that is takig me 4EVER!!! Still fun, but from what I see it's more about item management and gathering resources, and weight distribution on your body..... Any tips u guys have? Just unlocked the first base or whatever its called by delivering the oxytocin...

The reality is that some people just won't like it. I'm neutral on it. You can play only what you need to play to just advance through the story, and that's absolutely worth it. The main draw to going back to other areas and completing orders is to master the routes and chasing down the best score.

So for some there just isn't going to be much draw to that. It's absolutely the biggest fault of the game, and there's no question they could have done a better job with the core gameplay loop. In terms of core gameplay MGSV is absolutely a better game, and I feel like Kojima purposely hobbled some aspects of Death Stranding so it didn't feel too similar to MGSV.

if anyone else but Kojima made this game it would get totally trashed and get maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10...but because it's Kojima it's considered art

if anyone else but Kojima made this game it would get totally trashed and get maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10...but because it's Kojima it's considered art
If you view the game as an interactive movie it’s worth at least 7/8 out of 10. The problem is most people will come into it thinking it’ll be some open world survival game or something like that, which it doesn’t have to be.

If you just focus on the main quest line I feel most people will find it enjoyable because you’re never really actually going back and forth through the same areas more than a few times so you’re generally always moving through new areas. In many ways the game can be as open or linear as you want it to be, and I think people feel like they have to do more deliveries outside of the main narrative when they really don’t need to.

Last edited:
If you view the game as an interactive movie it’s worth at least 7/8 out of 10. The problem is most people will come into it thinking it’ll be some open world survival game or something like that, which it doesn’t have to be.

but it's advertised as a game, not an interactive movie

but it's advertised as a game, not an interactive movie
Absolutely, which is why I wouldn't give it much beyond a 8/10, and it's closer to 7/10. The general production values of the game, graphics, etc are 10/10 material, but the gameplay, even if you like walking simulators, is going to bring that score down. That being said, I think 6/10 is just unfair given the remarkable attention to detail for the graphics to include things like the motion capture, etc. There isn't a single per-rendered cutscene in this game from what i've seen so far, and it's incredible to me how they pulled some of this game off.

Last edited:
Absolutely, which is why I wouldn't give it much beyond a 8/10, and it's closer to 7/10. The general production values of the game, graphics, etc are 10/10 material, but the gameplay, even if you like walking simulators, is going to bring that score down. That being said, I think 6/10 is just unfair given the remarkable attention to detail for the graphics to include things like the motion capture, etc. There isn't a single per-rendered cutscene in this game from what i've seen so far, and it's incredible to me how they pulled some of this game off.

from what I hear the world is mostly devoid of people so it's easier to render higher quality textures, terrain etc...it's a bland package delivery game with Kojima weirdness thrown in to make itself appear to be something smarter then it really is

from what I hear the world is mostly devoid of people so it's easier to render higher quality textures, terrain etc...it's a bland package delivery game with Kojima weirdness thrown in to make itself appear to be something smarter then it really is
Everything weird in a Kojima game is just revolutionary and clever design, that you are too dumb to understand.

/s

Most people who don't like the game never played it. It's something you need to experience yourself and judge it. I've seen so many people complaining on Steam forums that don't even have the game, most people who actually have the game have been fairly positive about it.

IMO the weakest part of the game is the same as any other Kojima game, the conversations in menu's where you have to keep listening and can't really do anything while you're listening (this was remedied in MGS5 with tapes, but brought back in Death Stranding). That is my biggest annoyance, looking past that the game offers a lot of satisfaction helping other players and being helped yourself, it is more of a team work game than most multiplayer games. Yes, I wish it was more challenging, but I don't think the intentions were to make a challenging game, I think he wanted to make a game that a lot of people could get satisfaction out of.

Most people who don't like the game never played it. It's something you need to experience yourself and judge it. I've seen so many people complaining on Steam forums that don't even have the game, most people who actually have the game have been fairly positive about it.

IMO the weakest part of the game is the same as any other Kojima game, the conversations in menu's where you have to keep listening and can't really do anything while you're listening (this was remedied in MGS5 with tapes, but brought back in Death Stranding). That is my biggest annoyance, looking past that the game offers a lot of satisfaction helping other players and being helped yourself, it is more of a team work game than most multiplayer games. Yes, I wish it was more challenging, but I don't think the intentions were to make a challenging game, I think he wanted to make a game that a lot of people could get satisfaction out of.
I’m enjoying it personally. I think a lot of people have unfairly criticized the gameplay without trying it.

I’m enjoying it personally. I think a lot of people have unfairly criticized the gameplay without trying it.

that makes no sense...most people aren't going to blindly buy the game and then decide if they like it or not (unless it's from a developer you trust, for me that's From Software)...you read reviews from sources you trust as well as other people who have played it and then decide...every positive review I've seen has the word 'boring' in it...some people can get past the boring aspect and still enjoy it for what it is but it doesn't mean everyone will...the $60 price tag is not worth it for me...under $20 and I would give it a shot...I don't need non-stop action but this seems very tedious with some nice visuals

visuals alone don't cut it for me at $60...same reason why I'm waiting for RDR2 to drop under $30...Horizon Zero Dawn I plan on buying Day 1 on PC because I'm confident after reading reviews that the game is worth it

that makes no sense...most people aren't going to blindly buy the game and then decide if they like it or not (unless it's from a developer you trust, for me that's From Software)...you read reviews from sources you trust as well as other people who have played it and then decide...every positive review I've seen has the word 'boring' in it...some people can get past the boring aspect and still enjoy it for what it is but it doesn't mean everyone will...the $60 price tag is not worth it for me...under $20 and I would give it a shot...I don't need non-stop action but this seems very tedious with some nice visuals

visuals alone don't cut it for me at $60...same reason why I'm waiting for RDR2 to drop under $30...Horizon Zero Dawn I plan on buying Day 1 on PC because I'm confident after reading reviews that the game is worth it
Most reviews I’ve seen, for instance, complained about the lack of fast travel when the game has it... meaning they didn’t bother playing past a few hours. Same goes for RDR2 in that same regard.

I’m not saying they have to like the game , but I’m amazed at how short of an attention span people have.

Most reviews I’ve seen, for instance, complained about the lack of fast travel when the game has it... meaning they didn’t bother playing past a few hours. Same goes for RDR2 in that same regard.

I’m not saying they have to like the game , but I’m amazed at how short of an attention span people have.

you said yourself earlier that the core gameplay loop is broken so I'm not sure how you scored it an 8...I guess the visuals matter more to you then gameplay...if the core gameplay is flawed then it pretty much affects the entire game...maybe you're trying to like the game more as a way of justifying the $60 you paid for it

Back