Dead Space remake (2023)

I'm excited for this.. By the time I got around to really giving Dead Space a chance, the PC port is so badly dated and rife with issues on modern PCs that it made it a real chore to play so I put it down. Gonna be getting this immediately. Huge fan of sci fi action horror.
Only issue is with the mouse, which has an easy fix. Otherwise the game runs fine. I just played through it again a couple months ago.

So this is a remake, and not a reboot with a new story and all new level designs to be clear?

I don't know what the fuck Outlast or Evil Within are beyond assuming they are games of some sort based on context. I've never heard of them.
The Evil Within 1 was directed by Shinji Mikami. He directed Resident Evil 1, Dino Crisis 1, Resident Evil 4.
He's also been a producer on many of the sequels.
And he directed God Hand and Vanquish.

Outlast was an Indy horror game which reviewed well and sold well (over 4 million in its first 3 years). It led to a sequel. Both games combined have sold over 14 million copies.

Last edited:
So this is a remake, and not a reboot with a new story and all new level designs to be clear?

mostly remake...

The developers made it clear they’re very focused on remaking the original Dead Space. And while they’re endeavoring to lay out the story told in the original, that doesn’t mean they aren’t looking at what came after, both in terms of gameplay and story, to flesh out concepts in the first game.

“For us, the foundation is the Dead Space 1 story. So, by default, that's what is canon. But then there are some improvements that we want to make to that story,” Campos-Oriola said. “And not necessarily improvements because those things were not really working in the original, more improvements because of what came after, and we're like, ‘Aw man, that's interesting if we could reference that, or if we could make a link to that,” he continued, noting he and the team were looking at everything from what immediately happened in Dead Space 2 to ancillary media like animated films and more...

https://www.ign.com/articles/dead-space-remake-gameplay-story-ps5-xbox-tech-details

No, that's not what I said.

Let me be clear. Obviously, a game developer can make as many "scary" games as they want within in a given series. However, after the first one its unlikely that the second instalment or any follow up games will be as scary as the first one. You will get used to the atmosphere. You will get used to the same jump scares or whatever tactics get used over and over again.

Likewise for the enemies. Some of them were scary at first, but once you know how they work they just become regular monster/aliens. That is how most of the enemies felt in DS3.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
EA effectively cancelled Dead Space after III, because the "sales weren't high enough" for their ridiculously high standard of everything needing to be an insane $100million plus franchise. It's really well documented. Literally Viseral was dismantled after III because of EA's corporatism and I would say mismanagement, which the official reason that no one plays single player games anymore, move everything to multiplayer. Even in DS3, EA was forcing Visceral to shoe-horn in multiplayer and microtransactions. EA constantly takes talented studios and runs them into the ground because all they want to do is make unreasonable amounts of money from every franchise.

Forget EA. They don't deserve this money grab and they don't deserve a dime for this.

(EDIT - from the DS3 Wiki:
VideoGamer.com reported information from a confidential source concerning the cancellation of Dead Space 4 following "lower than anticipated" sales of Dead Space 3,[53] having fallen 26.6%.[54] This information tallied with EA Labels president Frank Gibeau's comment that "In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise, because ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space."[55] EA's Peter Moore wrote of the story on GamesIndustry.biz forum, "Standard, shoddy website journalism recipe."[56] EA described the report as "patently false."[57] In June 2013, EA Games boss Patrick Soderlund stated that although the franchise had not been cancelled and remained an important brand for the company, developer Visceral Games had not been asked to start work on a sequel and were instead involved in a new project, which was later confirmed to be Battlefield Hardline.[58]

On October 17, 2017, Visceral Games was shut down by EA. On July 13, 2018, Ben Wanat, the creative director of Dead Space, shared with Eurogamer about what Dead Space 4 would have potentially been about. The game would have been based on the flotilla section from Dead Space 3, and the player would collect supplies from Necromorph-filled starships in order to craft their own vessel and travel to new star systems in a mix of linear and open world gameplay. They had also considered making Ellie the playable protagonist instead of Isaac.[59]
)

Dead Space Official Teaser Trailer

The sci-fi survival horror classic Dead Space returns, completely rebuilt from the ground up by Motive Studios to offer a deeper and more immersive experience...Harnessing the power of the Frostbite game engine and next generation consoles, this remake brings jaw-dropping visual fidelity and improvements to gameplay while staying true to the original

lighting looks improved in that trailer...Dead Space using the Frostbite engine should be a real looker...hopefully they add ray-tracing as well

Super excited for this. With modern lighting and effects the atmosphere for the remake is going to be insane. Also we seem to be in a remake renaissance in terms of games lately... after recently playing the RE2 and 3 remakes seeing a Dead Space remake is welcome.

Super excited for this. With modern lighting and effects the atmosphere for the remake is going to be insane. Also we seem to be in a remake renaissance in terms of games lately... after recently playing the RE2 and 3 remakes seeing a Dead Space remake is welcome.

System Shock remakes are also coming soon...

System Shock remakes are also coming soon...
That's great because I have heard so much about System Shock 1 and 2, and I bought them to try them but the graphics just did not hold up well at all and I couldn't enjoy it so it'll be nice to experience them for the first time with updated graphics.

I'm excited for this.. By the time I got around to really giving Dead Space a chance, the PC port is so badly dated and rife with issues on modern PCs that it made it a real chore to play so I put it down. Gonna be getting this immediately. Huge fan of sci fi action horror.
What are you even talking about? There are only three issues with the game and those are well known about and easy to work around. First one is if you're picky about the mouse that is a simple fix found in one second Google search. The other is how the game uses vsync as it will cap you at half your refresh rate so you need to either use vrr or just force vsync in control panel if you have an Nvidia card. The only other issue is if you're trying to play at some insanely high framerate above 200 FPS which the physics will break.

Personally I don't even use the mouse fix as it doesn't even bother me at all. I just force vsync from the Nvidia control panel as I mentioned earlier and that's all the effort that's required to properly play the game for me. Just to improve the visuals a little bit I also force FXAA, ambient occlusion, and 16x.

Last edited:
What are you even talking about? There are only three issues with the game and those are well known about and easy to work around. First one is if you're picky about the mouse that is a simple fix found in one second Google search. The other is how the game uses vsync as it will cap you at half your refresh rate so you need to either use vrr or just force vsync in control panel if you have an Nvidia card. The only other issue is if you're trying to play at some insanely high framerate above 200 FPS which the physics will break.

Personally I don't even use the mouse fix as it doesn't even bother me at all. I just force vsync from the Nvidia control panel as I mentioned earlier and that's all the effort that's required to properly play the game for me. Just to improve the visuals a little bit I also force FXAA, ambient occlusion, and 16x.
you also can't use an Xbox controller properly. also i'm a lefty and rebinding keys in a lefty-friendly fashion was basically impossible without going through yet more fixes and file editing. so i mean yeah, you can play the game if you stick to kb/m and apply some fixes, but it's not ideal by a long shot. that's all i'm saying. it'll be awesome to have a modern game that takes care of those types of things (well, i guess it could still end up being a terrible pc port too, you never know.)

you also can't use an Xbox controller properly. also i'm a lefty and rebinding keys in a lefty-friendly fashion was basically impossible without going through yet more fixes and file editing. so i mean yeah, you can play the game if you stick to kb/m and apply some fixes, but it's not ideal by a long shot. that's all i'm saying. it'll be awesome to have a modern game that takes care of those types of things (well, i guess it could still end up being a terrible pc port too, you never know.)
It worked just fine on Xbox 360 controller back when it came out and it works just fine on the Xbox One controller today so I'm not sure what you're referring to. And again you don't even have to apply the mouse fix unless you're super picky and there's nothing to it. In my opinion it feels more realistic aiming without the mouse fix since you would certainly be a little sluggish with those tools cuz you're not some freaking super soldier pinpoint snap aiming. Dead space 2 addressed those mouse issues and to me it actually felt too fast and too snappy considering you again are not some trained soldier.

It worked just fine on Xbox 360 controller back when it came out and it works just fine on the Xbox One controller today so I'm not sure what you're referring to. And again you don't even have to apply the mouse fix unless you're super picky and there's nothing to it. In my opinion it feels more realistic aiming without the mouse fix since you would certainly be a little sluggish with those tools cuz you're not some freaking super soldier pinpoint snap aiming. Dead space 2 addressed those mouse issues and to me it actually felt too fast and too snappy considering you again are not some trained soldier.
ok i mean if you're happy with it, more power to you.

ok i mean if you're happy with it, more power to you.
You're the one that made it seem like the game had issues that made it unplayable and that is 100% false. Again the game has three issues that are well documented and only one of those issues even requires you to go download a simple fix that many people never even deem necessary to use anyway. The other two issues are solved with turning on vsync in your control panel or using a framerate cap of some sort and disabling the in game vsync. And I've never heard of an issue with using a controller in the game.

You're the one that made it seem like the game had issues that made it unplayable and that is 100% false. Again the game has three issues that are well documented and only one of those issues even requires you to go download a simple fix that many people never even deem necessary to use anyway. The other two issues are solved with turning on vsync in your control panel or using a framerate cap of some sort and disabling the in game vsync. And I've never heard of an issue with using a controller in the game.
jeez lay off it. i didn't have a great experience with the pc port in 2020. period end of story.

I never played the first one even though I own it on Steam because I was too lazy to mod it to fix the large controller dead zone bug it had - I think I got it in a Humble Bundle back in the day or something maybe or just when I was farming Steam cards so I don't care about the wasted money

Look forward to buying this, hope I play it lol

If all they do is just give us the old game with those updated visuals from that trailer, that will be an instant buy for me. I just hope they don't fuck it up.

I never played the first one even though I own it on Steam because I was too lazy to mod it to fix the large controller dead zone bug it had - I think I got it in a Humble Bundle back in the day or something maybe or just when I was farming Steam cards so I don't care about the wasted money

Look forward to buying this, hope I play it lol
uhhh, excuse me, what "controller dead zone bug"? didn't you read the posts above such as from GoldenTiger , there are no such things.

/s

uhhh, excuse me, what "controller dead zone bug"? didn't you read the posts above such as from GoldenTiger , there are no such things.

/s
Funny you did not say squat when I said I never heard of any issues with using a controller. And even googling that exact issue only turns up a few hits so it clearly was not some huge issue. Hell you can substitute pretty much any well known game and get just as many hits or more.

Funny you did not say squat when I said I never heard of any issues with using a controller. And even googling that exact issue only turns up a few hits so it clearly was not some huge issue. Hell you can substitute pretty much any well known game and get just as many hits or more.
that's true, it's actually a really good pc port. more pc ports could learn from it.

fuck off. if i'm going to get called out for "lying," i'm not just going to shut up and take it.

Please list these issues that keep you from enjoying the game then. I already addressed everything but lets go over it again:

Some people do not like the mouse feel and can use a simple fix. Personally I found no issue with it as is and neither do most players.

The games physics are broken when going way above 200 fps so simply use an fps cap or use vsync from the Nvidia control panel.

In game vsync does not work properly so again use vsync from the Nvidia or control panel or cap the fps if you use VRR.

Literally only a few people reported dead zone with controller so it is NOT some game specific issue.

*shrug* OK then. Try substantiating your claims next time.
jobert just did that for me just fine, although i could add to it. but why waste time?

let's get back to the topic at hand, the remake, instead of trashing up the thread with "i'm mad that you brought up flaws in a game i love" nonsense

And the game is actually a decent good pc port. It supports high refresh rates up to around 200 hz with no issues. It also supports 21:9 with no modding at all. Not bad for a 13 year old Xbox 360 game.

Last edited:
Dead Space is like what Re4 shoulda been. Waiting for this big time...

And the game is actually a decent good pc port. It supports high refresh rates up to around 200 hz with no issues. It also supports 21:9 with no modding at all. Not bad for a 13 year old Xbox 360 game.

Why are you so determined to prove its a good port, to the extent that you seem to take it personally when someone disagrees? Does it really matter if someone else's experience differs from yours?

I also revisited the original just over a month or so ago. I hit a game breaking bug very early on and bailed (and to get in front of your rebuttal, it's none of the three issues you mentioned that are supposedly the only ones in existence). Going to tell me I'm wrong and that didn't really happen? When dealing with older games like these, which were build for much older OSes and hardware, things don't always just work. If they work for you, that's truly wonderful. When they don't work for other people, saying their lying just because you haven't had the same experience is batshit crazy.

Why are you so determined to prove its a good port, to the extent that you seem to take it personally when someone disagrees? Does it really matter if someone else's experience differs from yours?

I also revisited the original just over a month or so ago. I hit a game breaking bug very early on and bailed (and to get in front of your rebuttal, it's none of the three issues you mentioned that are supposedly the only ones in existence). Going to tell me I'm wrong and that didn't really happen? When dealing with older games like these, which were build for much older OSes and hardware, things don't always just work. If they work for you, that's truly wonderful. When they don't work for other people, saying their lying just because you haven't had the same experience is batshit crazy.
Oh good grief. How many times did I go over the known issues with the game and explain how to fix them? All he did was provide useless vagueness and never even explained a damn thing or real specific issue. All he ended up mentioning was the controller and even then never went into any detail even when pressed. Another user mentioned controller dead zone which is not even a specific issue for the game considering literally only a few results even come back from a google search on that exact issue and you could get that searching for any random game.

Last edited:
Back