Dead Island 2

Really enjoying this game, it's just mindless fun. I have to say some of the character bases kind of suck in comparison to the others. It's not so much the stats but their abilities, Dani basically gets AOE with power attacks as a natural ability and its so good. There's no real story to speak of, but the dialogue is stupid in a fun way. Just upgrade your weapons, and use all of the tools at your disposal and it gets pretty hectic and fun. Also, the game runs incredibly well and looks equally incredible. Playing 4K maxed with FSR Quality, everything is sharp and smooth.

Same except now for whatever reason this of all games is going to be my foray into EGS.
Game just looks fantastic.
Only reason I haven't picked it up yet is cos it sounds a bit lacking in depth. I'd buy it in a cinch if I knew the character progression and loot is on point.

Been running into an issue of the game crashing due to an Out of Video memory error...on a 4090 (UHD + max settings). It also only started happening once I reached Venice Beach, never once before.
The game doesn't even hit the full 24GB; instead the crash seems to happen around 16GB whenever you open an inventory screen (either your own or a shop's), which causes VRAM usage to spike due to the game loading in all the 3D models for all the items. Lowered the texture quality from Ultra to High and turned on FSR, which reduced the frequency, but did not eliminate the crashes. I'm on 531.68, will give both the newest and the previous driver a try to see if this persists.

35.99 after code on Epic might be the only game on Epic worth buying unless you want t wait around for the Steam version.

I haven't played it or purchased but looking at the gameplay footage it looks pretty generic with the LA suburbs. Maybe we were spoiled with Dead Island 1 and the Dying Light games with their lush environments. Just doesn't look very interesting so far.

I haven't played it or purchased but looking at the gameplay footage it looks pretty generic with the LA suburbs. Maybe we were spoiled with Dead Island 1 and the Dying Light games with their lush environments. Just doesn't look very interesting so far.
It’s a surprisingly good game… the detail, the polish, the atmosphere… sleeper hit of the year so far for me, personally.

Dead Island 2 Expansions and Roadmap Unveiled

First expansion: How does a billionaire prepare for the zompocalypse? A techno-death cult with a healthy splash of debauchery and gore!...The first story expansion, Haus, will release in Q4, 2023
Second expansion: Welcome to the SOLA festival, where LA's party people can greenwash their way to ecstasy and save the planet, one rave at a time...So L.A!...SOLA Festival, will launch in Q2, 2024

https://deadisland.com/news/roadmap?s=09

Attachments

• DI2.jpg
    DI2.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 1
Dead Island 2 Expansions and Roadmap Unveiled

First expansion: How does a billionaire prepare for the zompocalypse? A techno-death cult with a healthy splash of debauchery and gore!...The first story expansion, Haus, will release in Q4, 2023
Second expansion: Welcome to the SOLA festival, where LA's party people can greenwash their way to ecstasy and save the planet, one rave at a time...So L.A!...SOLA Festival, will launch in Q2, 2024

https://deadisland.com/news/roadmap?s=09
They didn't really give a heck of lot of information with that announcement huh?

Never played the original Dead Island so I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this. I had preconceived notions that it would be a mindless slasher like Left For Dead so I'm really digging the RPG aspects. I've only played about an hour, and just unlocked the workbench, so the real fun is beginning! I'm looking forward to spending more time this weekend with it.

Waiting for it to come to Steam. I almost caved and bought on Epic like with Borderlands 3. I still might. I still play Dead Island Definitive Edition here-and-there, so that can hold me over until Steam release.

This is a fairly good looking game and perhaps one of the best running games I've played in a long time. Almost zero stuttering, quick loading with amazing visuals. Gameplay is generally fun but can get a bit repetitive. I think I am almost done with it, I want to say this will end up taking me 30 or more hours. Apparently it was supposed to be an open world game originally and I am glad it wasn't. That would have dragged on too long. Dismemberment and destruction of zombies is perhaps the best I have ever seen. A grenade will blow flesh off, walking through fire or acid will burn their flesh away.

Deadisland Screenshot 2023.07.17 - 22.44.28.79.png
Deadisland Screenshot 2023.07.16 - 14.18.54.76.png
Deadisland Screenshot 2023.07.16 - 14.18.03.26.png
Deadisland Screenshot 2023.07.16 - 14.48.39.51.png
Deadisland Screenshot 2023.07.16 - 18.53.38.25.png
Deadisland Screenshot 2023.07.18 - 18.21.23.81.png
Deadisland Screenshot 2023.07.17 - 18.26.54.14.png

Even the small props have lots of detail. Who needs ray tracing when this game essentially runs at 120 frame rates (what I have it locked to)? This game is perfectly smooth and it is amazing how well it runs given how it looks. Unreal Engine 4 as well.

The one downside is the sky box is fixed, and lighting isn't quite as dynamic as other modern games. I suppose that is the trade off. This is graphically more static but the results are still amazing. Entire opposite approach of Dying Light 2 which has ray tracing, more dynamic lighting, day/night cycle etc. But both look quite amazing.

Last edited:
I went back and read the reviews from the major gaming sites and it was really a mixed-bag. It seemed they either really loved it or hated it!
Who are ‘they’ though?

To which generation do they belong, would be my first question.

Those reviews aren't too far off. This isn't exactly the greatest game ever but it is still solidly fun. The dismemberment/burning of zombies is better than any game I have seen before. It is generally fun and satisfying to play. You might find that it gets a bit old, but the game is a fairly moderate length and doesn't drag on forever. That is better than many other games which have good parts but sections where you get so bored you almost quit playing.

I wish the environments were a bit more destructible. With how detailed and how small the stages are it would have been very fun to have a highly detailed yet destructible environment to play around in. Far from innovative and it doesn't really re-invent the wheel but if you like zombie games, slashers and shooters this will probably satisfy you.

Last edited:
Well after these endorsements of the game I’ll plan to pick it up at the right price. Sounds like it’s another solid 7/10 game for most folks with nice graphics and some sweet dismemberment.

+1 to wanting more interactive and destructible worlds! Come on, devs…

Well after these endorsements of the game I’ll plan to pick it up at the right price. Sounds like it’s another solid 7/10 game for most folks with nice graphics and some sweet dismemberment.

+1 to wanting more interactive and destructible worlds! Come on, devs…

It's insane to think there hasn't really been anything close in comparison to Red Faction Guerrilla circa 2009 for destructible environments. Crackdown 3 was a major swing and a miss.

There does need to be a next gen game with fully destructible environments. It's sorely lacking in the market today.

Speaking of sorely missed mechanics, nothing recent comes close to what Soldier of Fortune did on the gaming front. Sure, it is dated today, but back then it was ground breaking.

Dead Island has some impressive gore and dismemberment mechanics, but I wouldn't call it "next level". It wasn't really enough to carry the game for me. I got bored pretty fast.

I'll probably wait until all DLC are out. As long as the missions are entertaining that would be enough for me. I generally found the shooting and slicing to be fun so don't need much of a change there.

This game was my sleeper hit of 2023. Very underrated game.

If I could give this game an award it would be for ‘environmental narrative’ because each location tells its own story. You don’t want to rush through the levels with this one. The atmosphere is terrific (you’ll be reminded of the early days of the pandemic), as is the tone, which is slightly comedic.

Initially, I thought this game was going to be open world, and when I heard it was level based I was disappointed - but actually this game prospers because it is level based, which allowed for all that environmental storytelling.

what is this piped.kavin.rocks site?...some open source alternative to YouTube?

the trailer doesn't even seem to load on that site for me...or it's very, very slow to load
It's an alternative frontend. I offer the link for videos flagged for age confirmation for anybody not wanting to sign into a Google account. I flip between Kavin.rocks and Privacydev.net because either one can work better from one part of the day to the next. It does load slower than just going to Youtube, though, because Google is throttling the method for which the frontend uses to get the stream data. Invidious is another frontend, but it hasn't worked for me in a while.

https://github.com/TeamPiped/Piped
https://github.com/iv-org/invidious

You can find a list of instances on those Github pages to try a different one.

It's an alternative frontend. I offer the link for videos flagged for age confirmation for anybody not wanting to sign into a Google account. I flip between Kavin.rocks and Privacydev.net because either one can work better from one part of the day to the next. It does load slower than just going to Youtube, though, because Google is throttling the method for which the frontend uses to get the stream data. Invidious is another frontend, but it hasn't worked for me in a while.

https://github.com/TeamPiped/Piped
https://github.com/iv-org/invidious

You can find a list of instances on those Github pages to try a different one.

the piped.kavin.rocks site also only seems to offer a max of 1080p resolution while the YouTube page offers up to 4K

Launched on Steam with a 50% discount until April 29.
At the Steam forums there’s a guy arguing that the price should be $19.99 because, as he says, the game is an old console port.

When it’s brought to his attention that the game is not a console port he gets defensive and argues that because the game didn’t release on Steam it wasn’t a PC game, because of course PC players only use Steam.

Ah, the Steam forums! Like reading National Enquirer as you’re passing through checkout at the grocery store.

Back