Dead Island 2

release date is February 3rd 2023...unless they have some really unique gameplay ideas I think Dying Light has taken hold of the zombie genre...

Dead Island 2 Hands-On Preview

Last edited:
Looks like they know they have a stinker on their hands, releasing exclusively on Epic.

https://nitter.it/Nibellion/status/1562170869971095554
1661286886299.png

Gameplay trailer looks great. Techland had nothing to do with this game, so I am remaining cautious.

Why does that mean its a stinker?
The general consensus is that publishers only take Epic's exclusivity deal when they expect their game to have poor sales.
In reality I think it's based on what kind of deal they can work out together and how much the publisher values Steam.

When a bad game releases on Steam, it's just... another bad game on Steam. When a bad game releases on EGS, it's because only bad games sign onto EGS exclusivity. *shrug*

Looking at the trailer, I gotta admit the FLESH procedural gore system does look very impressive. Hopefully the actual gameplay is decent and it isn't a buggy, janked out mess after changing hands so many times. Looking forward to see some more FLESHed out gameplay videos.

So how does this differ from Dying Light (which I found to be a buggy mess) or Dying Light 2? Seems like DL2 removed guns, and this has guns. Otherwise is this essentially Dying Light gameplay? Apparently Dead Island was made by the same developer as Dying Light 1/2 and this is a different studio.

So how does this differ from Dying Light (which I found to be a buggy mess) or Dying Light 2? Seems like DL2 removed guns, and this has guns. Otherwise is this essentially Dying Light gameplay? Apparently Dead Island was made by the same developer as Dying Light 1/2 and this is a different studio.
No telling what the game will be like since it has changed developers three times. One of the interviews I saw said that they wanted this game to be a power fantasy rather than the apocalyptic fight-for-your-life that Dying Light is.

So there does not look to be that much excitement for this game. I have a key from AMD rewards and debating whether to just sell it or not as I never even really got into the first game before getting bored.

So there does not look to be that much excitement for this game. I have a key from AMD rewards and debating whether to just sell it or not as I never even really got into the first game before getting bored.
It just doesn't look that interesting to me, and Dying Light set the bar really high for zombie games.
Why is it taking so long for this game to come out?
Development hell.

I don't think this is really my type of game even though I already have a key from AMD. I think I will throw it on the for sale forum pretty soon.

Looks fun, to me. They definitely looked at Dying Light for gameplay improvements. The game looks good, I'm just so sick and tired of the RPG-like HUD elements in games like this. Dying Light got away with having ranked gear without having the ridiculous HUD. Otherwise the lighting and vibrancy gives it a realistic feel. It's oddly less stylized than Dying Light given how this is more lighthearted. If it doesn't have the floaty feel of the first Dead Island then I am interested. Unfortunately I can see the UE4 stutter in this video...

It's oddly less stylized than Dying Light given how this is more lighthearted. If it doesn't have the floaty feel of the first Dead Island then I am interested. Unfortunately I can see the UE4 stutter in this video...

the light hearted feel is what's turning me off...I liked the more serious tone of Dying Light...those games had their goofier elements but Dead Island 2 seems a bit too Saints Row-ish

I feel like marketing is lacking, I played DI2, thought this thread kept popping up for nostalgia until I finally opened it. Or was it the original and DI2 never came out? I'm clearly lost now

You can tell that the game has suffered through a long development. The FLESH system does look pretty good but unfortunately I think the game is going to be fairly average overall. You can't lean on a gameplay gimmick to carry the title entirely. I think the novelty will wear off fairly quick with this one sadly.

I liked the last two games, I like AA or A games that have goofy dialog and voice acting, especially in the sci-fi genre, but I do believe the publisher lacks confidence in the game based on the benefits they get from EGS exclusivity and I'll bet $10 it'll have Unreal Engine stutters that they may decide to fix... someday. I'm jaded because many PC games now days seem to release rough and get performance-improving patches during their first year, while this is tempting, I'll wager this is a "wait".

I feel like marketing is lacking, I played DI2, thought this thread kept popping up for nostalgia until I finally opened it. Or was it the original and DI2 never came out? I'm clearly lost now
You might be thinking of Dead Island Riptide. That came after the first game, but wasn't considered a sequel.

I tried to replay Dead Island in 2020 (the non-Definitive Edition), and I must say that it was a solid no-go for me. I even gave Riptide a spin again, which was better, but it didn't melt my butter either.

And that's with me having 93hrs invested in Dead Island and 52hrs in Riptide. They just bore me now for some reason. The sequel looks to be way more entertaining.

I still play the original Dead Island...now on the Definitive addition. It has it's bugs but mostly a stable game, and it just does the zombie apocalypse theme for me.

I couldn't get into Riptide or Dying Light (mostly the parkour aspect).

Really looking forward to see what Dambuster/Deep Silver have created. Hell-A looks like a fun time.

Last edited:
They should make sure all guns in the game are CA compliant.

Without going too far off topic, I actually have been worried about an "assault weapons ban" in games made or sold in California for some time. Even if you don't live in CA, if games are forced to design around a huge demographic it would probably be the death of real world looking (not necessarily playing) games like CS, BF, CoD, etc.

Edit: For context, a CA state senator tried to ban violent video games in the past and they have floated bills that would ban realistic looking airsoft replicas.

Last edited:
Without going too far off topic, I actually have been worried about an "assault weapons ban" in games made or sold in California for some time. Even if you don't live in CA, if games are forced to design around a huge demographic it would probably be the death of real world looking (not necessarily playing) games like CS, BF, CoD, etc.

i would laugh so hard at people living in CA if they did this...

Can you use guns in these game without getting mobbed? I remember one game where infected would aggro and run to you if you were firing guns. I forgot which game that was (Dying Light?), so I typically avoid explosives and gunfire in these open-world type games to keep from attracting attention.

Can you use guns in these game without getting mobbed? I remember one game where infected would aggro and run to you if you were firing guns. I forgot which game that was (Dying Light?), so I typically avoid explosives and gunfire in these open-world type games to keep from attracting attention.
Yes that does happen in Dying Light.

I kinda saw this coming.. Sadly, I called it in an earlier post.

You can tell that the game has suffered through a long development. The FLESH system does look pretty good but unfortunately I think the game is going to be fairly average overall. You can't lean on a gameplay gimmick to carry the title entirely. I think the novelty will wear off fairly quick with this one sadly.

Dying Light sounds like the far superior zombie game...wait for Dying Light 3 or just re-play the first 2 DL games on PC

Back