Dark Souls is on Steam

Thanks... didn't know about being able to fly back. What do you mean by cages though?
The cages in Sen's Fortress are a shortcut from the top back to the beginning so you dont have you run back through all the swinging blades and stuff.

even Dark Souls is not that cruel...trapping you in Anor Londo would be crazy
I agree but I never turned around when I first went there to see the demon sitting there that would fly my back so I thought I was stuck.

The cages in Sen's Fortress are a shortcut from the top back to the beginning so you dont have you run back through all the swinging blades and stuff.

Do you just go into a cage and it acts like an elevator?

lol, another one falls....

nzbLBjn.png

Someone wasn't paying attention... there is a orange sign on the ground in that fight that says... "RUN!" and it is possible to beat the demon even with your fists.

Someone wasn't paying attention... there is a orange sign on the ground in that fight that says... "RUN!" and it is possible to beat the demon even with your fists.

I beat him with some firebombs and that broken sword during one of my early runs

to be fair it's hard to notice the gate opening or the 'Run' sign as your focus is on the giant beast in front of you...a little exploration never hurts though...I had trouble early on figuring out how to use spells etc (catalysts) but it wasn't something I wanted to quit over

Last edited:
If you spent 4 minutes on something and didn't bother to maybe try something different, there isn't much I can say that would be complimentary.

Yea i remember the first time seeing him. Probably died 3 times before noticing the door. It took a lot longer than that before i figured out that i should do some scouting of my environment on new encounters.

The first two times I went in whacking away at the demon. The first time, my brain went "OH, so this was what they meant when they said Prepare to Die". The third time, I went into Zelda mode and looked for a switch or something, found the door and bailed.

Dark Souls doesn't play by the same set of rules...that's why Asylum Demon demon confused me during my first run...in 99% of other games you are supposed to defeat the boss (the exception being certain role playing games where you can enter areas too soon)...in Dark Souls you did not choose to enter this beginning area so one would assume that you are supposed to defeat it before moving on...somehow, some way there is a way to beat him

the fact that you are supposed to bypass him initially was going against established gaming rules

The first two times I went in whacking away at the demon. The first time, my brain went "OH, so this was what they meant when they said Prepare to Die". The third time, I went into Zelda mode and looked for a switch or something, found the door and bailed.

Exactly. I thought, "I knew this game was about killing demon bosses, but damn! This guy's huge!!"

the fact that you are supposed to bypass him initially was going against established gaming rules

I gotta say, too, I seriously hate when developers put that shit in games. I know it's happened more than once now so you have it in the back of your mind, but like you said it flies in the face of the vast majority of game design and what we have been conditioned to believe.

You don't have to bypass him. If you picked fire bombs, he goes down in about 4 hits.

If you're familiar with Zelda games, you'll catch on that he is an optional challenge at the very start.

^looks great!

Not sure if I should wait around for the pc version or just get the 360 version.

Any word on if GFWL is going to be removed? Or are they still holding to the "Dark Souls II will be out before GFWL closes, so we're not going to bother..."?

I agree. PC is where its at. Even if that means waiting a few months, which I doubt it would be that long anyway.

could be a few month delay...you never know until they officially announce a date...a week or 2 makes no sense as they could just release it with the consoles...I'm thinking 3 week minimum but I hope I'm wrong

could be a few month delay...you never know until they officially announce a date...a week or 2 makes no sense as they could just release it with the consoles...I'm thinking 3 week minimum but I hope I'm wrong

Not that it means much, but the marketing pamphlet a few posts back shows one release date and shows box art for all 3 platforms.

Not that it means much, but the marketing pamphlet a few posts back shows one release date and shows box art for all 3 platforms.

I doubt the PC version is coming out on the same day since they already announced a delay...will probably be an Assassin's Creed type of console-to-PC delay which is usually a few weeks...I wish it was coming out on 1 date...that way everyone can play fresh without any spoilers, walkthroughs, guides etc...everyone would be exploring the world at the same time...I'm going to avoid all spoilers going in...I already wish I hadn't seen that DS2 beta footage because they gave away some important things in that alone

I'll probably pick up on PC if it comes out in March, otherwise 360 most likely.

On a different note: any of you play Dark Souls through first before going to Demon's Souls? I bought it when it first came out and made a character, but never played beyond that.

I'll probably pick up on PC if it comes out in March, otherwise 360 most likely.

On a different note: any of you play Dark Souls through first before going to Demon's Souls? I bought it when it first came out and made a character, but never played beyond that.

I finished Dark Souls first. I played Demon's Souls first. I don't have any consoles so I had to borrow my friend's PS3 to finally finish Demon's Souls last year. I only had a dozen or so hours logged in Demon's Souls when I beat Dark Souls.

It's very good. Well worth it.

i just beat dark souls for the first time last night.. i have demons souls waiting at home for this weekend to start :)

Official PR a few months ago stated that the PC version would follow the console versions, lagging at the most, by the end of March. This has been repeated a couple of times since and there is no official indication of a change.

If they deliver it later than that, They have to know it will hurt their PR reputation. I wouldn't worry until there is an official reason to worry.

*on a more positive note: the winners for the shield design contest got a surprise today: they will be receiving real shields, made by a company known for professional medieval weaponry. They are real life recreations of the winning designs and look absolutely amazing. check the Dark Souls Facebook for pics and screenshots.

Man, props to you pro-gamers who are beating this game. After throwing myself at the Capra Demon a few more times and getting frustrated, I couldn't even get back to him anymore without dying. Funny how that works. You really have to be in a very patient mood for this game, yet it steals your patience away from you as you play it.

It's surprising to me how much I love this game considering I haven't really gotten anywhere in it (I never got past Blighttown), and have quit multiple times.

So I'm playing a new M&B:W Pendor mod playthrough. Boy it's nice having quicksave back :eek:

Sigh i'm such a noob :(

Last edited:
sales brochure or something like that
rwqk3yX.jpg

OMG, that was sooooo GLORIOUS.
My hype level is at the moon now! I can not wait for this.

Caught something in there too:
Apparently the Vitality penalty for dying is only applied if you die, and do not make it to your bloodstain to recover your souls. Previously I though it was for every death, as this wasn't ever made clear. That's good. I think it would be too brutal otherwise.

Best news so far: DEDICATED SERVERS! No more lag backstabs when your opponent is 15 feet in front of you because they are in Japan and you are in Maine. I love the PVP, but man can a laggy connection make it frustrating.

An interesting change I thought of would be that you are immune to backstabs when you have a shield slung across your back (also meaning that you are vulnerable to regular attacks and must rely on dodging to avoid damage)

I finished Dark Souls first. I played Demon's Souls first. I don't have any consoles so I had to borrow my friend's PS3 to finally finish Demon's Souls last year. I only had a dozen or so hours logged in Demon's Souls when I beat Dark Souls.

It's very good. Well worth it.

Thanks for the comment. Maybe it's time to actually use my ps3 to play games for once.

Anyone ever seen a Vagrant in game?
I keep seeing this mentioned, and after 200+ hrs, never seen one.

Are you talking about the ghostly figures? I see them all the time. Frequently at bonfires.

Man, props to you pro-gamers who are beating this game. After throwing myself at the Capra Demon a few more times and getting frustrated, I couldn't even get back to him anymore without dying. Funny how that works. You really have to be in a very patient mood for this game, yet it steals your patience away from you as you play it.

It's surprising to me how much I love this game considering I haven't really gotten anywhere in it (I never got past Blighttown), and have quit multiple times.

So I'm playing a new M&B:W Pendor mod playthrough. Boy it's nice having quicksave back :eek:

Sigh i'm such a noob :(

You can skip Capra Demon for quite a while.

I bought this game. and seriously a whole lot of Fuck this shit.

I get and enjoy difficulty. but this is stupid. there is no learning curve. there's a bottom of the hoover dam and it's perfectly vertical "curve"

I quit after barely getting to the second boss. the black knight and the demon on the wall ya gotta jump down repeatedly to kill.

that took me a month to get to after playing nightly by the way.

Anyone ever seen a Vagrant in game?
I keep seeing this mentioned, and after 200+ hrs, never seen one.

In the 5 or 6 playthroughs and over 200 hours of playtime I only encountered 2: 1 in anor londo and another when I was summoned to another world.

I bought this game. and seriously a whole lot of Fuck this shit.

I get and enjoy difficulty. but this is stupid. there is no learning curve. there's a bottom of the hoover dam and it's perfectly vertical "curve"

I quit after barely getting to the second boss. the black knight and the demon on the wall ya gotta jump down repeatedly to kill.

that took me a month to get to after playing nightly by the way.
Not trying to brag or go wtf on you but seriously it isn't that hard.

Back