Dark Souls is on Steam

DeathPrincess

Fully [H]
Trailers (looks like the original trailers) and has a release date of 24th of August 2012. (2m 3 weeks 5 days).

No price or anything else yet...

Here!

System requirements look pretty low but has one weird entry:

Additional: Multiplayer requires microphone headset support. (Maybe no ingame typing?)

Its because its a straight console port. So no typing.

Its because its a straight console port. So no typing.

Yep. To be expected given that From Software has not only never done a PC game in house they also only had a few months to do it.

Own and played the console version for over 120 hours and I still can't wait to buy this, will be the first game I pre-order in years, it's almost torture seeing that countdown timer almost 3 months away.

I'm really excited about this too. Loved it on ps3. Going to b better with three monitors.

I'm willing to give From a lot of leeway given their lack of experience but there is no excuse for a shitty port. I think buying this game at launch would be a bad idea as I'm expecting the game to be in a disasterous state that may never get patched.

I'm willing to give From a lot of leeway given their lack of experience but there is no excuse for a shitty port. I think buying this game at launch would be a bad idea as I'm expecting the game to be in a disasterous state that may never get patched.

I've been a fan of From Software for a long time and even though they have their duds it never seems from lack of trying to I'm expecting them to put some real effort into this one. They're clearly cutting corners where required to make it work (won't look better than the console versions, controller will be preferred, capped frame rate) but as long as it works I'm fine with that.

I've been a fan of From Software for a long time and even though they have their duds it never seems from lack of trying to I'm expecting them to put some real effort into this one. They're clearly cutting corners where required to make it work (won't look better than the console versions, controller will be preferred, capped frame rate) but as long as it works I'm fine with that.

Here's hoping.

I hope they have a good experience and port more... Would like to see an Armored Core come to the PC. There is an almost total lack of mecha games (I know Hawken and MW online are coming soonish, but still)! :D

I just have a feeling that this game is going to be a big disappointment for PC gamers. Console ports on PC usually do not go very well with a few exceptions from developers who know how to build PC games.

I do find it somewhat amusing. So often devs/pubs get shit canned for bad ports and people go off whining that they'd rather play it on console instead of PC because it's such a terrible port (which IMO is actually extremely rare and PC versions are almost always better if for no other reason than high res graphics), and here we have people satisfied to get anything.

I know the circumstances are different, but it pretty much is just sending the message "if we want your game, we couldn't give a fuck if it's a straight port".

I do find it somewhat amusing. So often devs/pubs get shit canned for bad ports and people go off whining that they'd rather play it on console instead of PC because it's such a terrible port (which IMO is actually extremely rare and PC versions are almost always better if for no other reason than high res graphics), and here we have people satisfied to get anything.

I know the circumstances are different, but it pretty much is just sending the message "if we want your game, we couldn't give a fuck if it's a straight port".

The funny part is its the same people bitching about console ports and games like Call of Duty. But I guess its fine because this a game THEY want :rolleyes:

The funny part is its the same people bitching about console ports and games like Call of Duty. But I guess its fine because this a game THEY want :rolleyes:

There are pretty big differences though. I.E., a stupid small FOV in a fps is a pretty big deal...and the whole COD rehash thing isn't even comparable.

I mean, Darksiders was pretty much a straight port, but I never really saw anyone complaining about it.

isn't the gameplay the primary appeal of this game and not Frostbite 2 type of graphics?

darksoulspc.png

There are pretty big differences though. I.E., a stupid small FOV in a fps is a pretty big deal...and the whole COD rehash thing isn't even comparable.

I mean, Darksiders was pretty much a straight port, but I never really saw anyone complaining about it.

I did, but apparently I am the only person who sees Darksiders for the unoriginal piece of shit that it is.

There is a HUGE difference between a studio giving a straight port because they don't care and want to make a quick buck and a studio testing the waters of a platform they have NEVER developed for and NEVER considered before. Of course people are satisfied to get anything. What do you expect? Dark Souls was never going to come to the PC. NamcoBandai and From Software didn't consider it at all during development. The ONLY reason it did is do to some pretty massive campaigning by gamers. Sensible people are aware of the limitations FS is facing right now and of what to expect from their first try. The message isn't "we'll take anything" it's "thank you for listening to us and giving us a chance to prove we can be a good market for you". If you can't see that difference between those then well there is no hope for you.

There is a HUGE difference between a studio giving a straight port because they don't care and want to make a quick buck and a studio testing the waters of a platform they have NEVER developed for and NEVER considered before. Of course people are satisfied to get anything. What do you expect? Dark Souls was never going to come to the PC. NamcoBandai and From Software didn't consider it at all during development. The ONLY reason it did is do to some pretty massive campaigning by gamers. Sensible people are aware of the limitations FS is facing right now and of what to expect from their first try. The message isn't "we'll take anything" it's "thank you for listening to us and giving us a chance to prove we can be a good market for you". If you can't see that difference between those then well there is no hope for you.

I can see that's the message you're trying to send, but I don't think that's the message that will get through to publishers. ;)

The message I think publishers are more likely to see is people will flock to ports they want, be they good or bad, and attack ports they probably would have never bought anyway and honestly I think that's closer to the truth for the market as a whole.

I can see that's the message you're trying to send, but I don't think that's the message that will get through to publishers. ;)

The message I think publishers are more likely to see is people will flock to ports they want, be they good or bad, and attack ports they probably would have never bought anyway and honestly I think that's closer to the truth for the market as a whole.

That depends on how much NamcoBandai and From actually pay attention to the feedback their getting now and after release. NB isn't all that experienced with the PC market either and they are a very hard company to gauge. I'd say it also depends heavily on sales. Even though a lot of people asked for the game I don't see it pulling amazing numbers and given the time and likely budget constraints of the port I don't think NB sees it selling a lot either.

WTH does "proper PC support" mean?

Not have a "Press Start" message at the beginning for one. Actually made for PC controls, and not a game where they pretty much tell you to get a controller. Being able to rebind keys would be nice... being able to scale graphic setting would be good as well.

hopefully it will have proper customizable keyboard controls

According to all the articles I read, it won't. There will be basic mouse+keyboard support but gamepad is mostly required, but we will see at release what happens.

According to all the articles I read, it won't. There will be basic mouse+keyboard support but gamepad is mostly required, but we will see at release what happens.

what's the point of even releasing it on PC if it's pretty much a straight console port?...they should at least throw us a small bone...I know the PC version includes new content and bosses etc but I want proper keyboard support...if I wanted to play with a controller I would buy it on Xbox or PS3

what's the point of even releasing it on PC if it's pretty much a straight console port?...they should at least throw us a small bone...I know the PC version includes new content and bosses etc but I want proper keyboard support...if I wanted to play with a controller I would buy it on Xbox or PS3

The point of releasing it on PC is that you don't need to buy an Xbox 360 or PS3. Also higher resolutions is probably a given (but hopefully not frame rate lock). Gamepads for playing on PC is already a given in so many games these days because of porting. We wouldn't even get those games otherwise. There is also the opportunity for hacking and modding. My Demon's Souls on PS3 is already modded with some hex editing cheats (single player only of course) and it makes it an easier game for those of us without the luxury of free time to spend the disciplined hours honing skills and farming souls.

The official announcement that multiplayer communication requires a headset/mic pretty much cements the idea that any in-depth keyboard support was will be not in the game. Those that are saying that you can CTRL-TAB and Steam chat are forgetting that blue/black phantoms in the game are random players and you can't play directly with friends that you could steam chat with. I doubt they would rewrite that mechanic for PC but we'll see.

Last edited:
I so can not wait for this, but please god hope it doesn't require GFWL. Though I got a feeling, that due to the fact that it's basically a 360 game, it will have GFWL simply because with such a short time they've put this out, they don't have time or experience to make it a SteamWorks title.

Either way, waiting patiently for this game.

http://www.change.org/petitions/nam...ls-pc-edition-without-games-for-windows-live#

It has GAWFUL because it's the easiest and fastest way to implement the netcode required for the game's multiplayer components.

Back