Dark Souls is on Steam

Wherein while i was in motion of swinging certain great axe strikes, even if someone would land an attack while I was midswing, I would not stumble, and my attack would still complete. Is this what you mean?

That part.

Invincibility frames are frames of animation where you are invincible - you don't take damage. To my knowledge, they are only in rolls. This allows the character to basically roll through attacks unharmed and one of the ways the game makes lighter, lesser armed characters more viable.

Not getting stumbled out of you attack animation is just a result of the calculation that determines if a hit breaks your animation - you would still take damage either way, so that is not invincibility frames.

Like chameleoneel said, In Dark Souls, they made some of that stuff a little more apparent with the poise system.

New Dark Souls 2 screenshots

iOuMcbn11QSGJ.jpg

ibeYdVxz9MwuLF.jpg

iz2BfHFgWjRwG.jpg

ibq6yHwbWEg6dE.jpg

From new interview with Yui Tanimura, they talk about 5 of the new covenants, but its all in Japanese. 2 of them are these:

Warriors of Sunlight - Function like the Sunlight Covenant in the first game, complete with classic gesture.
Guardians of the Bell - Function similar to the forest defenders, but this time you are summoned as a black phantom to stop invaders ringing two bells somewhere in the world.

the other 3:
Covenant of Blue - If a player belongs to this covenant and gets invaded, he will get a "bodyguard" which will be another player. Obviously, this covenants main purpose is to get help when dealing with invaders.
Protector of Blue - This covenant serves to protect players from the Covenant of Blue. So, to sum up,you can either get protection, or be the protector depending on which covenant you choose.
The Brotherhood of Blood - The "red" invaders covenant confirmed similar to the darkwraiths from Dark Souls.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201312/05044271.html

What is the purpose of gestures anyway? Do you ever use them in the game or are they just for fun?

they allow you to die faster :)

hehehe i actually have no idea.. i'm about half way through (Tomb of Giants... Grr...) and i don't think i've used 1 Gesture

I'd like to mention how badass the Dingy Robe upgraded to +10 is. The ONLY quality it lacks is poise (easily made up for by the wolf ring). With Giant Leggings and Giant Helm and Tattered Manchette upgraded I think that makes for the best resistance/armor to weight set in the game.

I'd like to mention how badass the Dingy Robe upgraded to +10 is. The ONLY quality it lacks is poise (easily made up for by the wolf ring). With Giant Leggings and Giant Helm and Tattered Manchette upgraded I think that makes for the best resistance/armor to weight set in the game.

Using it in my second play through as Anastasia herself :p.

Link
Link

New Dark Souls 2 screenshots

I just hope the PC release won't be delayed too long...still hoping for a March PC release...one of the main reasons I didn't upgrade my video card recently (GTX 580) was because Dark Souls 2 was not going to require a next-gen card...will wait for the Nvidia Maxwell release in 2014

So I just noticed something that was not really apparent in NG, like it is in NG+(or maybe I just never noticed it...)
When you summon an NPC for boss battle, it literally DOUBLES the boss's health. Holy shit, I went at the Gaping Dragon, alone, got him down to nothing and made a mistake so I died; the next round I summoned Soliare and Lautrec, my hits still did the same damage (around 600 hp per hit), but his life bar..... My hits did nothing! Barely got his life down, maybe 1/8 of the life bar, before everyone died. Next round I went at it alone, each hit still did the same damage (600hp), but took about 1/12 of his life bar each time.

That shit was crazy. Went after the Four Kings, the first king was just unbeatable with NPC summoned, next round by myself tore them completely apart.

Using it in my second play through as Anastasia herself :p.

Link
Link

Awesome RP! I took a few shots of my character and stats page to show the robe's potential (I'm pretty sure that Armor & Elemental Resistances cap at 300 for damage reduction purposes):

It's a great setup. I really want Havel's shield but it's just too heavy, so I have Black Knight shield (95% reduction to fire, 77 stability) and Crest Shield (80% reduction to magic) and just quick swap depending on what my opponent uses. The only weak area is lightning at 65% reduction (BK shield)

BK shield for pyromancy and heavy attacks, Crest for sorcery. I love when I meet a pyromancer, even direct hits do so little damage they may as well not have bothered. The weakness of this character is to black magic, since the Crest shield is low stability, but most of that is pretty dodgeable.

It's a great setup. I really want Havel's shield but it's just too heavy, so I have Black Knight shield (95% reduction to fire, 77 stability) and Crest Shield (80% reduction to magic) and just quick swap depending on what my opponent uses. The only weak area is lightning at 65% reduction (BK shield)

BK shield for pyromancy and heavy attacks, Crest for sorcery. I love when I meet a pyromancer, even direct hits do so little damage they may as well not have bothered. The weakness of this character is to black magic, since the Crest shield is low stability, but most of that is pretty dodgeable.

Couldn't you just get more stamina?

it weighs 26 lbs vs 6 lbs for black knight shield. fast roll with 99 stamina you would have 9 lbs for weapons and armor. Carrying it you are going to be stuck doing mid rolls (with high stamina) or slow rolls.

it weighs 26 lbs vs 6 lbs for black knight shield. fast roll with 99 stamina you would have 9 lbs for weapons and armor. Carrying it you are going to be stuck doing mid rolls (with high stamina) or slow rolls.
Ahh gotcha. I don't think I've ever fast rolled.

I finally got a Titanite Slab drop from a crystal lizard! I also assembled the Lifehunt Scythe from Priscilla's soul... it's pretty badass!

DATA%202013-12-08%2017-08-39-62.jpg

In 4 playthroughs and 350+ hours this is the first I've seen it drop. So yea, it's rare. I'm likely to use it to take the Pharis Longbow to +15.

Funny to see RNG in play. I had 2 slabs off lizards my first playthorugh, and 1 each time since.

In all fairness, I was actively farming for it with +10 humanity and CovGoldSerp Ring and in the Great Hollow where you can't walk 10 feet without stepping on a crystal lizard. Otherwise I don't generally have the CGSR equipped for item find.

Second piece of business: I was looking for ways to boost my bleed resist so I can use Priscilla's Lifehunt Scythe with impunity (causes bleeding in user as well as target, but does 50% lifebar bleed damage). I think I found the way... High armor bleed resist + Bloodbite ring + Bloodshield = nuts.

DATA%202013-12-09%2019-33-54-61.jpg

I farmed the hell out of the darkwraiths usually got 1 every threeish runs down in the watery city under the starting point. Been a while since I've played, can't remember the name.

Slab drops seem to be totally random. Back when I was playing this a lot sometimes I'd get 2 in a single run through the Darkwraith area. Other times I wouldn't get one for hour after after, and with my item discovery cranked to the max.

Another day another cheater... Superswolebros. Infinite health, infinite stamina (bled him 5 times in a row with the lifehunt scythe for 64000 damage a pop). Called him out on it and his response was that "he was not here to PVP.", and I replied to play hollow or offline and his response was... "no". I tried to kick him of a ledge but he was able to land hit after hit and stunlock me indefinitely since he didn't need to stop swinging.

Gotta love it. Here's hoping they have solid anti-cheat measures (be it active banning of reported cheaters or server side sanity checks) in place for DS2.

Also went down to New Londo to farm slabs from Darkwraiths. Took three runs before a slab dropped.

Last edited:
Alright, I know this is a non sequitur, but I'm going to try to get back into Dark Souls. I played it for six hours and never passed the first big boss (the one on the bridge), I got fed up with the controls so I stopped playing. I could see why people enjoy the combat, but the boss battles just felt cheap as opposed to difficult (if there is any distinction to be made there). I'm going to take another stab (har) at it!

Remember that even though the game feels cheap and dirty - you can play that way yourself. Nearly everything you do that feels like an exploit isn't actually an exploit but simply the "thinking man's (or woman's) way to do it."

Remember that even though the game feels cheap and dirty - you can play that way yourself. Nearly everything you do that feels like an exploit isn't actually an exploit but simply the "thinking man's (or woman's) way to do it."

Yeah...I just need to put on my big boy pants and get out of that first area. I killed the first mini-boss knight guy, but couldn't manage the guy at the bottom of the first tower area (the one with the big hammer). I just need to get past the first main boss on the bridge and I think it'll pull me back in.

Alright, I know this is a non sequitur, but I'm going to try to get back into Dark Souls. I played it for six hours and never passed the first big boss (the one on the bridge), I got fed up with the controls so I stopped playing. I could see why people enjoy the combat, but the boss battles just felt cheap as opposed to difficult (if there is any distinction to be made there). I'm going to take another stab (har) at it!

it feels cheap during your first run but after you finish the game you'll see that it's not and all the bosses are fair...all the bosses have exploits and weaknesses...the general confusion on the game mechanics and gameplay is what bothered me more then the bosses during my first run-through

I'll give Dark Souls another playthrough closer to the release of Dark Souls 2...hopefully GFWL will have been patched out by then

i just picked up Dark Souls in the last steam sale and want to give it a go. Quick question though, are you guys using the DSfix still or have updates fixed most of the launch problems?

i just picked up Dark Souls in the last steam sale and want to give it a go. Quick question though, are you guys using the DSfix still or have updates fixed most of the launch problems?

you still need to use DSFix...official patches didn't fix the graphics limitations

The mouse fix was broken on the last patch. There is a workaround, but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

...the general confusion on the game mechanics and gameplay is what bothered me more then the bosses during my first run-through

That's another issue - do you know of a good go-to guide walking through the mechanics? Humanity and all that shit?

Back