DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. MintCondition

MintCondition n00b

Hi. Quick question :

Why is the internal dust filters shorter than the external ones ?

My guess is that you can't fit a dust filter between the side panel and the power supply (because it's pretty much flat) ? That's a real bummer if it is...

Meccabolix likes this.
  2. Diverge

Diverge Gawd

I had to give up one ram slot to use the 120mm fan. So bought a normal size (physical) 16GB stick to put on the outside slot.

3. Calysto

Calysto n00b

Can you provide the link to that?

4. SideSwiped

SideSwiped n00b

Are there any pictures of the internal ones installed?

5. Blackreplica

Blackreplica Limp Gawd

Dear fellow singaporeans, the Dan A4 has landed here and is being processed for delivery (finally!!)

6. Jirbin

Jirbin n00b

im not singaporean but im staying in singapore, and yeah! WUHOO and it is With Delivery Courier. what cooler are you planning to use? i have managed to get a l9i for 30s$ via carousell XD

7. JackGLemmon

JackGLemmon n00b

Fantastic news! (Pictures please)

What motherboard are you using? I have the Asus Maximus Impact VIiI. Am am using the C7 cooler now, as I need to cut 5 mm off the top of the (excessively-huge) VRM heatsink to get the Nexus Low 7000 R2 to fit. Now I am concerned about the mounting hardware.

Could four plastic washers be used? I do not have a backplate from a NH-C12P to use. I have the washers from the Cryorig C7. That cooler is loud AF, but it cools well. My guess is the good C7 performance is due to pulling a lot of air from outside the case.

Could you let us Nexus Low 7000 users know what Home Depot calls the right-sized M3 bolts?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. Blackreplica

Blackreplica Limp Gawd

Someone at home has already collected the case on my behalf. Im in Japan now and only back tomorrow :( man what shitty timing

I'm running a delidded 7700K with a Cyrorig C7 heatsink combined with the fan from the L9i...it works great in testing. I have the 7700K overclocked to 4.8GHZ stable running Intel's extreme utility test overnight and its hovering from 70-73degrees. Hopefully the temps dont go up much once it all goes into the case

Now its another waiting game for a good AIB 1080Ti to be released

9. okwchin

okwchin Limp Gawd

Perth, Australia has arrived. I will be setting mine up with the stock cooler on a i5 4750 and an Asus H97I Plus, with stock everything as far as I am aware. Temps with the stock cooler are pretty respectable on the bench (around 60 deg, ambient 25 while playing BF1), but its in the case that matters and I am expecting it to get much warmer. GPU wise, its a 1070 EVGA SC.

I also have a LP53 and the A9-14 that will eventually go in, but certainly not right away.

I think someone earlier was asking about stock temps and noise, so I will keep an eye out for this. Im normally very sensitive to noise, so lets see how well the stock cooler works.

On the desk, I find my 1070 EVGA to be Overall ok, but most of the noise is due to the fan bearings being ball bearing type! At load, air noise and bearing noise is present, but at lower loads, its the bearings are the loudest part of the whole system, producing a fairly indistinct hissing sound that is more audible than the stock cpu cooler. Lets see what its like in the case that I will be setting up tonight :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  10. Jirbin

Jirbin n00b

haha, but still, when you get back it is there. hmm have you tried using the l9i heatsink and fan? mine is getting hot at 82c peak while playing csgo. :/ would you really recommend using the c7 heatsink?

update: mine was delivered just a moment ago at my house, but i am still here in my office, cant wait to go home ;)

11. Blackreplica

Blackreplica Limp Gawd

Based on what I've seen in this thread, the C7 heatsink may drop temps a few degrees but it wont change much..i assume you are also using a 7700K? If so, I think as far as managing just gaming loads..not cinebench or prime95 loops..you might do ok but you'd be pushing it. The only way to improve things is to go with more exotic cooling options (like that LP53 + A9 fan combo maybe?) or delid the processor

Okwchin> i can say for sure the a9x14 fan is really quiet and has a very unoffensive sound signature even running at full speed so you should love it

Meccabolix likes this.
  12. Jirbin

Jirbin n00b

im using i7-7700 non k :/

13. Theelichtje

Theelichtje n00b

Can confirm, mine clicks aswell :)

Also, does anyones case act as a heatsink for the GPU? The rear GPU IO and the rear portion of the sidepanel get really hot, does anyone else notice the same?

14. Theelichtje

Theelichtje n00b

I do, not sure on temps, only checked them for a brief period.

As for the noise, i can't hear the CPU fan over the inaudible sf450, i can only hear my GPU fan.

I5-4440 stock btw, placeholder until its clear what the R5 series can deliver.

jjsyht and JackGLemmon like this.
  15. HoodedHusky

HoodedHusky n00b

Yes, which is why many (myself included), run without no rear IO panel.

16. Blackreplica

Blackreplica Limp Gawd

Oh in that case you'll be fine. Noctua themselves say the L9i has no problem handling the 65W TDP 7700

17. Jann5s

Jann5s [H]Lite

Be careful that when using only a single slot you are running the memory in single-channel mode instead of dual-channel. Consequently, the memory bandwidth will be lower. From my experience this is not very critical when gaming, but this may change in the future.

See also this

mcheddadi likes this.
  18. cowsgomoo2

cowsgomoo2 Limp Gawd

Someone in this thread recommended the Tenba DYOB 13 camera bag for the case.
    I want to report that it's a very tight fit with no inches to spare.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

al007, JackGLemmon, jjsyht and 9 others like this.
  19. Horrocko

Horrocko n00b

Man, that looks really snug! So would you need a separate bag to transport peripherals or can you still fit a slim wireless keyboard/mouse combo in there somehow?

20. cowsgomoo2

cowsgomoo2 Limp Gawd

Most likely you need another bag. Or just stuff the camera bag and the peripherals into a bigger backpack.

21. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

when I ordered the full copper axp-100, they forgot to include two ty-100 fans so they sent another package with lots of freebies! :D

[​IMG]

loafidelity, MrLahn, Ca11idus and 5 others like this.
  22. Jirbin

Jirbin n00b

http://imgur.com/a/Qesf1

i managed to put NF-A4x10 on top of the board as exhaust, havent really tested yet if it helps with the temperature but i can noticeably feel the hot air blowing out, which i think is better than nothing. =)

Julio Espinosa and Jspr like this.
  23. Hotshot619

Hotshot619 n00b

That's lucky, any chance you don't need that second TY-100? I'm searching for a 100mm pwm fan with no luck other than buying the AXP-100 and using the TY.

24. Diverge

Diverge Gawd

These are all the pictures I have for now. I'll try to take more if/when I delid my cpu. https://goo.gl/photos/RkQLiX9XxbLHA3NMA

Home Depot has very little selection for M3 bolts. You'll find them in the pull out drawers on the screw/bolt/nut isle. IMO, you're gonna want to use a backplate, unless you don't mind your motherboard being bent.... which could be very bad. Unless you come up with another way of mounting it. You just need to be creative. It's not too difficult to come up with ideas once you play around with the parts. The specs of my parts are in my sig.

I'm not too concerned about memory speeds or single vs dual channel. IMO, all that has minimal effect on everyday PC use (gaming, browsing, MS Office, etc).

25. phoxx

phoxx n00b

Where do you live, and how long was the shipping to you?

26. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

I was thinking of doing the same. How noisy is that little thing?

mcheddadi are those Gears of War pajamas?? :D Amazing.

repentsinner likes this.
  27. Jann5s

Jann5s [H]Lite

Cool, just wanted to make sure that you (and anybody reading) was informed.

Your post triggered some renewed interest on my part and I researched it again. My findings confirm your opinion, only in memory intensive cases (e.g. zip, x264) you will find a moderate improvement (~5%) using dual-channel DDR (~20% for quad-channel). I can't seem to find if dual-channel memory actually allows two cpu's to interact with the memory simultaneously, and thus reducing latency. Cores typically have their own MMU's (probably these only operate on the cache), but I don't know how these are connected to the memory controller. Anyway, the benchmarks show that it doesn't really matter.

28. absolut_zero

absolut_zero [H]Lite

You can email Thermalright if you want to buy the TY-100 fan alone.

29. Jspr

Jspr Limp Gawd

That is looking really nice! I am looking for something similar, though maybe cheaper, as I will "just" use it was a sleeve during transportation in my backback.

How about noise? :)

And to those who mount a9x14 on the LP-53:
    HOW THE **** AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THIS?! :mad:
    I've used maybe 2½ hours fiddling with this, and the best I could do was rubberbands which 1: looks like rubbish 2: interfere with the fans airflow.

30. Jonas Mellkvist

Jonas Mellkvist Limp Gawd

I think Akassa 80 mm fan slim should fit in the roof to.

http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-FN076

31. HoodedHusky

HoodedHusky n00b

I used the TY100 100mm fan above PSU + lowered PSU. Fits also fine.

32. wanako

wanako n00b

Just got my A4 in the mail today! Los Angeles area is getting them now.

33. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

yep email them, and you can ask for the black and white, black and red or brown and green
    6 days, each time, from taiwan to montreal
    oh yeah! cole train baby!

34. Jonas Mellkvist

Jonas Mellkvist Limp Gawd

How did you get down the Psu ??

35. drklu

drklu 2[H]4U

Case just arrived today, looks fantastic! amazing job Dan !

36. MostComfortable

MostComfortable Limp Gawd

My case just arrived in SoCal. Looks great, can't wait to start my build this week, thank you Dan!

37. phoxx

phoxx n00b

Did your tracking info every get updated?

38. JackGLemmon

JackGLemmon n00b

The Lowepro Event Messenger 250 is also a tight AF fit. It is like they made the offical messurments before they added the padding. The A4-SFX does fit the bag, but it takes a little push. It has an exterior pocket that is enough for everything but a keyboard. The internal 13" laptop/tablet pocket can NOT be used, due to the pressure.

https://smile.amazon.com/Lowepro-Event-Messenger-Camera-Shoulder/dp/B0077B403S/

Most non-gaming wireless keyboards do not have multi-key rollover of any kind. You cannot run, strafe, slide, and reload at the same time.

Now that the "tower" is so small the peripherals are taking up all the space. A mechanical keyboard, over-the-ear headphones, and necessary cables take up as much volume. I hope someone comes out with a folding 27 inch 144 Hz monitor soon.

javidan, jjsyht and MintCondition like this.
  39. Horrocko

Horrocko n00b

Thanks for the tip!

I'm actually looking for something super basic in terms of peripherals on this occasion; planning to use the case as a mobile VR machine. When in use at my desk, I have a full setup right there.

darksable likes this.
  40. Jspr

Jspr Limp Gawd

A little about ram compatibility:
    Corsair dominator platinum fits without the top bar without a problem. I was afraid I had to mod them, but it wasn't needed.

RemoteDoc and MintCondition like this.