DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. barvis

barvis n00b

Bay Area arrival here, too! Can't wait to get home and see this thing in person.

Edit: Thank you, Dan!

2. darksable

darksable Limp Gawd

This. Honestly, the two places I take my computer regularly, I just bit the bullet - I split the cost of a second 1080p screen with both people, so they get a nice benefit but I get to use the screen when I come over, and I stash a cheapo $5 microsoft keyboard and a mousepad in their closet. That way I only have to bring my mouse and headphones.

Still trying to figure out what to do with headphones, though - there's not a great way to transport mine safely, but I despise earbuds...

3. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

Any excuse to buy new headphones should be seen as a golden opportunity. Seriously, I have like two or three different headphones stationed at all the various computers and consoles in my home and office......any excuse. :p

repentsinner and darksable like this.
  4. ManaNeko

ManaNeko n00b

Has anyone tried mounting a 2½ slot GPU in the DAN A4 case? I just saw the Asus GTX 1080ti Strix on Twitter and lots of people are going to want to know if it's possible to fit it in.

5. Diverge

Diverge Gawd

On a Titan X, with reference cooler. There is 7mm from outside of case, to hitting the GPU's cooler. So 7mm - thickness of the side panel = 7mm - 1.5mm = 5.5mm of space between inside of panel to reference videocard cooler.

I doubt it will fit.

6. jtcera

jtcera [H]Lite

7. Blackreplica

Blackreplica Limp Gawd

Damn.why did asus have to go 2.5 slot for the strix 1090ti. Hoping the EVGA ICX cards will be able to fit now

8. Jirbin

Jirbin n00b

barely noticeable =)

illram likes this.
  9. Jirbin

Jirbin n00b

though it might fit, but wouldnt do much since the PCIE extender will probably block most of the fan area.

10. rmearns

rmearns n00b

My full copper Axp-100 came in and I went a different route with modifying it. I cut off the blades hanging underneath (using a hacksaw with a 32T blade...) instead of bending the heatpipes. I'm still waiting for my case and parts to come in but I'll let everyone know how the temps are once I get it all together. I've also got a LP53 on the way too, so I'll be interested to compare them both using the A9x14 Fan.

http://imgur.com/gallery/YSe15

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

Nice! we'll be able to see if bending the heatpipes has a negative effect or not. great stuff man! all that copper must have been long to cut!

rmearns likes this.
  12. rmearns

rmearns n00b

Haha yeah, it did take a bit of time but I was also trying to do as clean of a job as I could.

13. Blackreplica

Blackreplica Limp Gawd

Case finally arrived and I managed to put almost everything in the case. Still waiting for the GPU though.

[​IMG]

The challenge was to fit 2 disk drives along with 2 RGB LED strips.

[​IMG]

Mounted the RGB strips here where they interfered the least with the holes on the bottom of the case

[​IMG]

The hard drives will sit nicely on top of the strips. With the Corsair SF600 SATA cables, its a bit of a squeeze but it does fit ok

[​IMG]

Custom cabling helps a lot to keep things tidy. With Asus Strix Z270I, I used lengths of 150mm for the 24pin ATX cable, and 250mm for the 8 pin EPS. The lengths work near perfectly

[​IMG]

With the GPU PCIE cables though, I might have made a mistake. Mine is 200mm and a little too short. It may work with the EVGA dongle that moves the PCIE ports to the back of the GPU but for top mount PCIE i would advise you guys go with 300mm to guarantee compatibility with any GPU and yet not have too much excess cabling

[​IMG]

Build more or less finished except for the GPU. Very happy with the result. With my delidded 7700K I was able to get stable 4.8GHz at 1.27V on the test bench but once in the case, although temps never went beyond 80 degrees during benchmarking, it would BSOD. Backing off to 4.7GHz at 1.25V fixed things and max temps seen during benchmarking are 78 degrees. Thanks Dan for making a wonderful case for us to enjoy and hope you guys find the info useful for your builds!

[​IMG]

14. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

Your guys' excellent picture taking skills are a sight to behold. Once I get my case I'll try to not burn everyone's retinas with potato camera shots of my messy ass desk.

Shaav, Blackreplica and repentsinner like this.
  15. jjsyht

jjsyht [H]Lite

im thinking of cutting off the interior pouch fora tablet, it would then fit without a push. still need to eait for the case to come though.

JackGLemmon likes this.
  16. phoxx

phoxx n00b

Where was yours shipped too? Trying to find out how long til my gets here in SoCal

17. Uwe2

Uwe2 n00b

18. JackGLemmon

JackGLemmon n00b

Please let us know how A4-SFX fits in the Lowepro Event Messenger 250 after the tablet pouch is removed. It may give the needed few millimeters so that I do not have to push or shake to get the computer to fit each time.

I do not want to cut out my tablet pouch as I had hoped to use it for a 11" 1080p 60Hz GeChic portable monitor if there was space. I still want to use the Event Messenger 250 for accessories and cables, even if I decide on something like the Tenba byob 13 for the case.

javidan likes this.
  19. cowsgomoo2

cowsgomoo2 Limp Gawd

I've actually been downsizing my peripherals, or at least getting portable versions of peripherals. My results:
    Keyboard: Ajazz AK33 mechanical keyboard with Grifiti Chiton sleeve
    Headphones: Beyerdynamics DT-1350-80
    Speakers (if you dislike headphones like me): Edifier MP300 Plus 2.1 speakers (or Edifier Aurora which is the same thing but come without the protective pouch), you can power this off the PSU with a molex to 5.5mmx2.5mm barrel adapter since it runs off 12V. Incidentally this is where the "hole" at the GPU bracket comes in handy.
    Monitors: Portable HDMI monitors from Aliexpress or Taobao(sells for cheaper if you can use the website), most 15.6" power off USB, a 17.3" version powers off 12V (again you can use a molex to 5.5mmx2.5mm barrel adapter to run it off the PSU), most of them are 8-bit IPS monitors unlike Gechic's 6-bit monitors. Throw them in a separate laptop bag to prevent damage. We won't be seeing gaming portable monitors though.
    Storage: Stick 2x4TB or 2x5TB 2.5" 15mm Seagate drives in the A4. If you need external drives, use 2.5", don't use enclosures as they add unnecessary weight, get SATA->USB adapters instead and silicone sleeves for the 2.5" drives.
    Wires: Can't do anything about this, but some HDMI cables are thinner than others.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  20. rmearns

rmearns n00b

Mine actually arrived in 3 or 4 days after I placed the order to Vancouver, Canada. It seemed fairly quick.

21. dopa

dopa n00b

Like this
    or this

22. Jspr

Jspr Limp Gawd

JackGLemmon, rmearns and mcheddadi like this.
  23. ubreakubuy2

ubreakubuy2 n00b

24. Blackreplica

Blackreplica Limp Gawd

I'm hoping either the MSI Gaming X or the EVGA ICX will be a workable substitute

[​IMG]

25. Jirbin

Jirbin n00b

okay, im worried about my i7 7700. gets 88c when playing csgo with the noctua L9i....is this normal or there is something wrong with my cooler?

26. epitaphic

epitaphic n00b

Have you tried undervolting?

27. phoxx

phoxx n00b

Did your tracking update at all? or was it just delivered?

28. Jbob06

Jbob06 n00b

Has anyone in the US not had any updates to their tracking since feb 27? This is all I see

upload_2017-3-14_10-59-14.png

I called USPS and they said they haven't received it yet from Deutsche Post. Anyone else hearing the same thing?

I contacted Dan but he said shipping takes 2-3 weeks. It has now been 3 weeks and it isn't even out of Germany.

This is shipping to Michigan if that matters at all.

29. Eingang

Eingang n00b

OMG I´m shocked about those shipping times. (I´m from Germany.)

Why not just using DHL? Yes, it´s a bit more expensive but how can it need 2-3 weeks or even more to transfer such an item from Germany to the USA?

A regular DHL parcel with 500€ insurance to USA is 36,99€. Average shipping time is 10-12 days.
    A registered airmail letter with 37,50€ insurance is 19,50€.

Why would you ship this valuable item with such a low insurance and long long shipping time just to save 17,49€?
    If this gets lost or damaged you will be the fools.... Hopefully that story has a good ending for all of you..

30. rmearns

rmearns n00b

They did give me a tracking number but I forgot to check it.

31. ahmedelamin_

ahmedelamin_ n00b

Just spoke to overclockers UK. The gtx 1080TI (non FE) won'the be available until April. They weren't able to specify beginning or end of April either.....

32. MintCondition

MintCondition n00b

Hey, has anyone tried to fit the Thermalright AXP100H in the case ? The height without a fan in the top is 51mm, so maybe it will fit with 4mm motherboard standoffs ?

I really hope it fits, because it's a slightly better version than the regular AXP100, and looks like it doesn't require any modding to fit a fan below.

33. Diverge

Diverge Gawd

That seems normal for shipping this product to the US. They pretty much don't update it until they deliver it for whatever reason. USPS sucks for stuff coming outside the US.

I just ordered something for my car yesterday from Romania, and in less than a day it's already in the US via DHL.

Curiositie likes this.
  34. Uwe2

Uwe2 n00b

Jspr: So here are some photos:

IMG_6722.jpg
    IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg

35. Jspr

Jspr Limp Gawd

36. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

I'm in the same boat. (San Francisco.) I bet you the USPS person you talked to just told you that based on looking at the tracking that you are looking at, though. As we have seen from people here, it appears the tracking for these packages is not updated for some reason.

37. barvis

barvis n00b

Bay Area here - my case arrived yesterday with no updates from beyond the "origin post is preparing" message. I just checked it today, and it still doesn't even say it was ever delivered.

38. SideSwiped

SideSwiped n00b

Now thats scary. I'm on day 22, part of first shipment that went out on the 17th, and still no updates. If I had updates I wouldn't care, but I have no clue where it is at this point when people started getting there's last monday.

39. krcm0209

krcm0209 n00b

He said 7700 not 7700K.
    I have a 7700 (non-K) in my case with an L9i and while running stress tests the temp goes between 77-89ish Celsius. I think the fluctuation is due to my fan curve.

Julio Espinosa likes this.
  40. Ozymandias

Ozymandias [H]ard|Gawd

I transplanted my 5820K X99 ITX system into the Dan A4 yesterday and a AXP100H Muscle cooler didn't fit, even with 4mm standoffs. It's a few millimeters too tall and when I bent the heatpipes to make it shorter, the blades of the underslung fan started rubbing on the retention screws. This is with Thermalright's Narrow ILM kit, which requires standoffs that raises the height of the cooler. As seen in this thread, Meccabolix didn't have the same issues with a LGA 1151 system.

I did a quick and dirty, 10 minute Intel XTU benchmark of the AXP100H with the side panel off with a Noctua NF-A9x14, a Scythe Slipstream SY1212SL12H, and Thermalright TY 100, all blowing out. The Noctua was the quietest but hottest, topping out at 80C, the Scythe was louder but livable and hit 75C, while the Thermalright was a bit quieter than the Scythe and cooled best with 71C. Maybe a draw-through orientation of the fans would have worked better, but I stopped testing after confirming the cooler was too tall.

I switched back to the Dynatron T318, paired it with the TY100 fan, and after 10 minutes of XTU it only reached 65C. So it's a clear winner temperature-wise and it fits. The TY100 fan is a gem too - I can barely tell that the computer is on at idle and it's easily masked by speakers or headphones during load.

EDIT: Added more details to make it clear this is an X99 system and as Meccabolix shows, it fits with LGA1151 motherboards.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    MintCondition likes this.