DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Has anyone extrapolated out the expected dimensions of the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 card to see if it should fit in the case?

fix the link i can't even handle seeing this anymore
It is the only way we can actually copy the link, bookmark etc. If it is full link, then you would we the tables etc. and you wouldn't be able to open it outside of [H] nor copy link or anythinf.

I got some pretty good results with my nexus low, modified fan, and motherboard heatsinks. I put the data in the spreadsheet.

https://goo.gl/photos/EqeLsskUiFC1B7HaA

Edit: Not shown in the pictures... I used the backplate from my Noctua NH-C12P, with some longer M3 bolts from home depot. The stock Nexus heatsink mounting brackets leave a lot to be desired.. To even mount it to my motheboard with all the stock hardware, my motherboard would have been flexing severely. The backplate and longer screws cured that issue.

Last edited:
M.2 is 32gb 4x.

how many more sata do you need?

That board in the picture is the x370GTN, which supports full 32Gbps, i think Eingang may be confused as to which chipset the motherboard in the picture is, i think he mistook it for the B350GTN

just in case anyone may make the mistake of buying the B350 chipset board, it only supports 16 gigabits max. if you want to use a very very fast m.2, go for the x370GTN board.

There are 8 bits in a byte.

so 32 gigabits is 4 gigabytes per second theoretical speed limit for m.2s

16 gigabits would only be 2 gigabytes per second, so m.2 ssd's like the 950 pro or 960 pro/evo could never hit their true speeds because they run at 2.5 gigabytes per second or higher. they simply don't have enough pci-e lanes to utilize to reach their true potential speeds on the B350GTN version of that board.

Last edited:
https://gfycat.com/SingleSpottedAracari

I got the Corsair lighting kit, and honestly, I think it was worth the extra. I can set the lights to correspond to any temperature sensor (even my 960 evo), which was actually useful when testing. The lighting strips are the same length as the actual case, and the box is super tiny.

I am definitely going to switch to the SFX (non
-L) Corsair PSU. There is no room underneath.

Edit:. Should I not post this here? I can't remember

Last edited:

I got the Corsair lighting kit, and honestly, I think it was worth the extra. I can set the lights to correspond to any temperature sensor (even my 960 evo), which was actually useful when testing. The lighting strips are the same length as the actual case, and the box is super tiny.

I was planning to do asus aura setup with the z270...but it only syncs with the cpu temperature. The other sensor temps are grabbed by the corsair application?

Well, I built the computer and brought it to my girlfriends place and I forgot to bring a power cord. It'll have to wait till Monday.

Check the TV, or any other device she has connected to the TV. Maybe she has a music system? Check all the things!

Also did you only buy the 14.99 light kit? Thanks

Just wanted to leave my build here :) Thank you so much Dan, from all the ITX cases i built in the past this was the most easy and awesome of them all. I've been waiting for this project since June 2015 and let me tell you it was worth the wait. Now comes the planning part to make a total portable rig. Probably will do a monitor based on a laptop screen, thought of buying GeChic but the price i think it's just too much...

Hope you enjoyed it :)

Sorry for the bad picture quality XD

My case just got delivered today!! For other in the US I'm located in Utah. I got silver case #1350. I must admit that it's difficult to appreciate the size of the case until you've got one in your hands. Now to just start purchasing my components.... I also am going to attempt to do a custom tempered-glass side panel mod. I had the idea before I realized that DAN was working on a plexi-version. I plan to do mine in the same manner. I'm hoping to make it so I can have additional clearance to put in a slightly taller CPU cooler. I'm currently considering the Noctua NH-L9x65 or SilverStone AR06.

People who have the noctua nhl9i what are your temps like?

I got 83c in 1 or 2 cores for a few seconds now and then during some installing and general task on windows. Have tried the noctua paste and thermal grizzly kryonaut both sit around that. Am I doing anything wrong? Xtu package hits 90c during benchmarking

Also just checking does every SF450 owner hear a sharp clank when you turn on or off the PC?

Last edited:

I got 83c in 1 or 2 cores for a few seconds now and then during some installing and general task on windows. Have tried the noctua paste and thermal grizzly kryonaut both sit around that. Am I doing anything wrong? Xtu package hits 90c during benchmarking

Also just checking does every SF450 owner hear a sharp clank when you turn on or off the PC?
From what I read, you are supposed to hear a rather loud click noise when the psu turns on or off.

I was planning to do asus aura setup with the z270...but it only syncs with the cpu temperature. The other sensor temps are grabbed by the corsair application?
Yeah, it grabs all of the temps. I have the CPU side showing the SSD and CPU temps, and the other side the GPU temp.

It's pretty awesome. It can even set everything to bright red when it hits a threshold. So even when it's rainbow, I can know if I'm in danger.

I got the $60 kit

Sf450has Ben tested here and showed to be able to go 500w no prob. High quality Japanese caps. You can run a Titan x with 7700k no prob.
If that is the case, great. But having had a PSUs die on me and take parts of my system down with it, I'll skip.

The AXP-100H Muscle is not usable with a ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac.

The delivered fan is too big to fit in the mainboard.

To use a Noctua NF-A9x14 instead is only possible when the heatpipes are bended a little bit. Otherwise the fix plate touches the rotor. But bending increases the height a few mm and the case can´t be closed anymore. (4mm spacers)

:cry:

Just ordered LP53.... since C7 is too weak....

I assume you are running a 7700K? NH-L9 will struggle to keep it cool. You can try to undervolt your cpu (while staying at stock clocks) to try to keep the heat down as a first step, but IMO the only way to use the nh-l9i with the 7700K at stock with what i consider to be sufficient margin is to delid the processor

@ 4.4GHz on my 6700K, I'm hitting a max of 75C w/ prime95 setup as outline in the spreadsheet. But it's mostly around 70C. This is w/ a nexus low-7000 R2 cooler, and 120 x 120 x 20mm fan. I already have a rockit delid tool, so I just ordered some CLU. Hopefully my max drops to 60's or below after delid.

going against the flow here, but, has anyone use the case with the stock intel cooler? How's the noise and temp?

@ 4.4GHz on my 6700K, I'm hitting a max of 75C w/ prime95 setup as outline in the spreadsheet. But it's mostly around 70C. This is w/ a nexus low-7000 R2 cooler, and 120 x 120 x 20mm fan. I already have a rockit delid tool, so I just ordered some CLU. Hopefully my max drops to 60's or below after delid.
That's very impressive! Very interested in the delid temps when you get there. What ram are you using?
I got a Cooljag Falcon II, Thermolab LP53 and Thermalright AXP-100 full copper, but still in the process of buying a new rig and hopefully do some temperature tests soon.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
That's very impressive! Very interested in the delid temps when you get there. What ram are you using?
I got a Cooljag Falcon II, Thermolab LP53 and Thermalright AXP-100 full copper, but still in the process of buying a new rig and hopefully do some temperature tests soon.

I had to give up one ram slot to use the 120mm fan. So bought a normal size (physical) 16GB stick to put on the outside slot.

Dear fellow singaporeans, the Dan A4 has landed here and is being processed for delivery (finally!!)

im not singaporean but im staying in singapore, and yeah! WUHOO and it is With Delivery Courier. what cooler are you planning to use? i have managed to get a l9i for 30s$ via carousell XD

I got some pretty good results with my nexus low, modified fan, and motherboard heatsinks. I put the data in the spreadsheet.

https://goo.gl/photos/EqeLsskUiFC1B7HaA

Edit: Not shown in the pictures... I used the backplate from my Noctua NH-C12P, with some longer M3 bolts from home depot. The stock Nexus heatsink mounting brackets leave a lot to be desired.. To even mount it to my motheboard with all the stock hardware, my motherboard would have been flexing severely. The backplate and longer screws cured that issue.

Fantastic news! (Pictures please)

What motherboard are you using? I have the Asus Maximus Impact VIiI. Am am using the C7 cooler now, as I need to cut 5 mm off the top of the (excessively-huge) VRM heatsink to get the Nexus Low 7000 R2 to fit. Now I am concerned about the mounting hardware.

Could four plastic washers be used? I do not have a backplate from a NH-C12P to use. I have the washers from the Cryorig C7. That cooler is loud AF, but it cools well. My guess is the good C7 performance is due to pulling a lot of air from outside the case.

Could you let us Nexus Low 7000 users know what Home Depot calls the right-sized M3 bolts?

Last edited:
im not singaporean but im staying in singapore, and yeah! WUHOO and it is With Delivery Courier. what cooler are you planning to use? i have managed to get a l9i for 30s$ via carousell XD

Someone at home has already collected the case on my behalf. Im in Japan now and only back tomorrow :( man what shitty timing

I'm running a delidded 7700K with a Cyrorig C7 heatsink combined with the fan from the L9i...it works great in testing. I have the 7700K overclocked to 4.8GHZ stable running Intel's extreme utility test overnight and its hovering from 70-73degrees. Hopefully the temps dont go up much once it all goes into the case

Now its another waiting game for a good AIB 1080Ti to be released

Perth, Australia has arrived. I will be setting mine up with the stock cooler on a i5 4750 and an Asus H97I Plus, with stock everything as far as I am aware. Temps with the stock cooler are pretty respectable on the bench (around 60 deg, ambient 25 while playing BF1), but its in the case that matters and I am expecting it to get much warmer. GPU wise, its a 1070 EVGA SC.

I also have a LP53 and the A9-14 that will eventually go in, but certainly not right away.

I think someone earlier was asking about stock temps and noise, so I will keep an eye out for this. Im normally very sensitive to noise, so lets see how well the stock cooler works.

On the desk, I find my 1070 EVGA to be Overall ok, but most of the noise is due to the fan bearings being ball bearing type! At load, air noise and bearing noise is present, but at lower loads, its the bearings are the loudest part of the whole system, producing a fairly indistinct hissing sound that is more audible than the stock cpu cooler. Lets see what its like in the case that I will be setting up tonight :)

Last edited:
Someone at home has already collected the case on my behalf. Im in Japan now and only back tomorrow :( man what shitty timing

I'm running a delidded 7700K with a Cyrorig C7 heatsink combined with the fan from the L9i...it works great in testing. I have the 7700K overclocked to 4.8GHZ stable running Intel's extreme utility test overnight and its hovering from 70-73degrees. Hopefully the temps dont go up much once it all goes into the case

Now its another waiting game for a good AIB 1080Ti to be released

haha, but still, when you get back it is there. hmm have you tried using the l9i heatsink and fan? mine is getting hot at 82c peak while playing csgo. :/ would you really recommend using the c7 heatsink?

update: mine was delivered just a moment ago at my house, but i am still here in my office, cant wait to go home ;)

Last edited:
Back