Cysis 2 DX11 and Sandbox Update

I guess I never should have set my expectations to having DX 11 at launch. I guess that was too much to ask for.

It was TOO much to ask for then but TOO little to receive now. You see? It's just a bunch of back and forth pissing contests. Not liking the game because it's gameplay sucks is one thing and I understand that, everyone has their own cups of tea. Not liking the game for technical semantics even though it looks better than 95% of games available is another.

Hating the game because it sucks is cool, hating the game because it wasn't as pretty as you'd of liked it is kinda gay. I somehow feel that if C2 came out being jack the ripper for your rig, people would of bitched and moaned about another "Unoptimized" Crytek game.

That is dismissive and largely incorrect assumption. Your final few sentences serve to show you are just as wrong as PC gamers who assume they are entitled to certain expectations in there games.

Crytek has had a long history of blaming PC gamers since before Crysis 1 was launched. How many times has the CEO placed foot in mouth during an interview? More often then not. However I won't lob in all developers on the PC platform , many do things the best way they can do them considering the financial restrictions they are forced to work within.

Blaming the customers rarely is a sound argument.

Irrelevant emotion does not mean my words are not true.

Was DX11 promised at launch for Crysis 2 at all?

Would you have been satisfied if they included "DX11" support like how Crysis 1 included "DX10" support at launch?

CryTek CEO did say Crysis 2 will be shipped with DX11 support in one of the interview about almost a year ago before release.

It was TOO much to ask for then but TOO little to receive now. You see? It's just a bunch of back and forth pissing contests. Not liking the game because it's gameplay sucks is one thing and I understand that, everyone has their own cups of tea. Not liking the game for technical semantics even though it looks better than 95% of games available is another.

Hating the game because it sucks is cool, hating the game because it wasn't as pretty as you'd of liked it is kinda gay. I somehow feel that if C2 came out being jack the ripper for your rig, people would of bitched and moaned about another "Unoptimized" Crytek game.

No, that's not it. I guess I need to better clarify myself. I don't hate the game because DX 11 wasn't included at launch. I don't like the game simply because the gameplay is meh. It's a very average game at best and not because of the graphics. I'm just simply stating that it would have been nice to play the game at launch with DX 11 enabled, not 3 months later. That's it. That's what I'm disappointed in. I'm disappointed that Cryek didn't include DX 11 from the outset.

Took a couple of pics of the mssing posters, hi-res definately makes them far mroe elgible.

on

EC9354A4AB6A5346F0CC80108CCF197F9EAB894A

Off
ED533C04B21F545EF4BDA08739DAC49BB5135CCD

I don't know that early buyers were "screwed." They knew at that point DX11 wasn't there. And they can still get the patch for free. As for the current price, of course games always go down in price, so again I don't see where the "screwing" occurred.

Please shine a UV light and illuminate me. ;)

I agree with with Kyle on these points. Early buyers were screwed.

I was an early buyer and I don't feel screwed or fucked. First of all only an idiot didn't see where Crytek was going with this game, it was clear to me that Crytek was focused on consoles, I mean how many Crysis haters pointed out Crytek's constant piracy complaints. There was a demo. There were sites like this bashed the game to hell and back. I bought the game knowing full well what to expect and not expecting this patch. I'm happy to get this update because I really thought that the haters were going to kill it, though I guess nVidia ponied up cash to work on this update.

At any rate, to claim that anyone that bought the game at $60 got screwed makes no sense since unlike many games there was a demo. At some point this bashing gets so irrational that facts are just ignored.

I bought the game at launch despite knowing it was consolized because I got a sweet deal on it.Finished a while back but like many decided to give it a go with the new patches..This game should be the poster child for the phrase"polishing a turd"..I am locked @ 60fps smooth as silk on my sig rig but thats not the point.you can still see this games console roots under the "polish"..For example..shoot a tire and what you get is a reduced size intact tire..Anyone remember what happenned when you shot a tire in Crysis??A satisfying "pop,hiss and shredded tire"..Small thing,nitpicking,maybe but its the details that shined through.

In the beginning level of C2 when you see the viewfinder for the Statue of Liberty,it is still a low res texture on the machine..Granted,other things are changed,garbage bags,boxes etc but again,it still reeks of consolitis..I will load up random game save for the hell of it but I still call it Too little too late...Et tu Crytek?

Installed the patches and the game looks really good. I'm getting around 15-40 FPS on my rig at 1920 x 1200, and it seems playable around 20+ FPS (so a few areas are chugging for me at the moment). I think my performance is to be expected considering my card is almost 2 years old at this point.

As for the gameplay, I'm not sure why people are hating on it so much. It's different than the first game, but is still better than 90% of shooters out there. The only thing that bugs me is the game announcing "tactical options available" before every remotely non-linear section.

Yes I have it, it's a consolized piece of trash and no graphics updates are going to fix that because bad graphics are only a small fraction of what is wrong with the game.

Did you play it with the update?

I was an early buyer and I don't feel screwed or fucked. First of all only an idiot didn't see where Crytek was going with this game, it was clear to me that Crytek was focused on consoles, I mean how many Crysis haters pointed out Crytek's constant piracy complaints. There was a demo. There were sites like this bashed the game to hell and back. I bought the game knowing full well what to expect and not expecting this patch. I'm happy to get this update because I really thought that the haters were going to kill it, though I guess nVidia ponied up cash to work on this update.

At any rate, to claim that anyone that bought the game at $60 got screwed makes no sense since unlike many games there was a demo. At some point this bashing gets so irrational that facts are just ignored.

I knew were they were going but, it was really a slightly better console version on the PC. I didn't think the game was going to be toned down that much.
I paid $47 and felt that I got ripped off. Early buyers should have recieved the game we have now. That's all I'm saying. That's not bashing the game, that's bashing Crytek. I've always bashed Crytek more than the game.

I bought the game at launch despite knowing it was consolized because I got a sweet deal on it.Finished a while back but like many decided to give it a go with the new patches..This game should be the poster child for the phrase"polishing a turd"..I am locked @ 60fps smooth as silk on my sig rig but thats not the point.you can still see this games console roots under the "polish"..For example..shoot a tire and what you get is a reduced size intact tire..Anyone remember what happenned when you shot a tire in Crysis??A satisfying "pop,hiss and shredded tire"..Small thing,nitpicking,maybe but its the details that shined through.

In the beginning level of C2 when you see the viewfinder for the Statue of Liberty,it is still a low res texture on the machine..Granted,other things are changed,garbage bags,boxes etc but again,it still reeks of consolitis..I will load up random game save for the hell of it but I still call it Too little too late...Et tu Crytek?

The core is still console, and it can't be changed. The SDK is the last hope. Look at BC2, the core is console. Every FPS game out there, the core game is console.
BF3 is the only AAA game in a long time to go PC first. But people will still bash, how the gameplay will resemble BC2 and not BF2. Haters will never get over themselves.

Last edited:
Crysis2lowmemory.jpg

Crysis 2 maxed my 6GB of RAM. I had Virtual Memory disabled. If you get this error that means you better enable your virtual memory :) Just a friendly reminder.

Anyone figured out how to use the dx11 benchmark yet? Theres a .bat file in the bin32 directory that im pretty sure wasn't there before.

Installed the patches and the game looks really good. I'm getting around 15-40 FPS on my rig at 1920 x 1200, and it seems playable around 20+ FPS (so a few areas are chugging for me at the moment). I think my performance is to be expected considering my card is almost 2 years old at this point.

As for the gameplay, I'm not sure why people are hating on it so much. It's different than the first game, but is still better than 90% of shooters out there. The only thing that bugs me is the game announcing "tactical options available" before every remotely non-linear section.

I would love it if the game was like this at release. Granted I will play the game again now with this patch. But it would have been a better experience if it was like this at day one. Also it's nice to see my computer actually being utilized other than being 50% dormant :)

My game is running at around 25-30fps with everything at Ultra (1920x1080). Should I expect more from 2x6950s?

The "Object" option has the greatest effect on performance, putting it down one setting nets me an extra 10-20fps and the lowest an extra 70fps! "Shading" has the next highest impact with around a 10fps boost by lowering it a notch.

What exactly do these two settings do?

I would love it if the game was like this at release. Granted I will play the game again now with this patch. But it would have been a better experience if it was like this at day one. Also it's nice to see my computer actually being utilized other than being 50% dormant :)

I do wonder if it would have benefited Crytek to have simply held up the release of the console versions until the DX 11 version was ready. From the sounds on many around here I tend to doubt as

have you even played the game with the new patch and visual upgrade packages?...my guess is no...to say that no one will notice the differences based on nothing but your previous hatred of the game is silly...some people just always want to see the glass as half empty

To be honest, no I haven't played the game with the new visual patches but I have little interest in replaying Crysis 2 just to see a slightly higher res texture or some DX11 effects.

I still revisit Crysis 1 from time to time to enjoy the jungle and ocean and fan mods. With Crysis 2, Crytek has encrypted many of the modding files and are still mum on whether or not they will even release an editor (Sandbox 3) for owners. Crysis 1 is a beautiful game. Crysis 2 is mundane and locked down.

I enjoyed the gameplay of Crysis 1 but Crysis 2 felt mundane, artificially small, limiting. The island works well because the ocean and mountain feel like natural barriers that are real. Crysis 2 is full of rubble and barriers and cars that block your path in what should have been a large, navigable city. As I get older, I become increasingly annoyed at such scripted artificiality because these things are basically the same as the piles of crates we had in FPS's 10 years ago.

I have to admit, the new tesselated bricks and POM dirt tracks and splashy water all look beautiful, but they are things you easily ignore when playing. It doesn't make it part of the experience in a world that makes realism beautiful and fun.

The Witcher 2 on the other hand, that game has made me hold my breath at it's graphics and the world it creates despite it being no where close to the technicality of the upgraded Crysis 2.

Last edited:
Early impressions:

It does feel better to have much crisper textures.

It actually does run on a 768MB video card, and performance isn't terrible at 1900x1200 on Ultra. I have my GTX460 clocked to about 900/1800/2100 and I would say I was getting roughly 15-30 fps. Motion blur makes it playable, but I would definitely suggest a better card for truly enjoyable gameplay.

My game is running at around 25-30fps with everything at Ultra (1920x1080). Should I expect more from 2x6950s?

The "Object" option has the greatest effect on performance, putting it down one setting nets me an extra 10-20fps and the lowest an extra 70fps! "Shading" has the next highest impact with around a 10fps boost by lowering it a notch.

My understanding from Crysis one was that object is like draw distance for things like rocks, and shading deals more with how realistically drawn those rocks are. Not sure about that but that it what I think.

That's not exactly confidence inspiring. I have the same videocard setup :|

Bop, I have 1x 6950 And was getting 15-25fps, and the game was not really playable. I was thinking this might be a good time to get a second one, not just for this, but for future things as well. Does it feel playable at 25-30 FPS?

Thanks.

With Crysis 2, Crytek has encrypted many of the modding files and are still mum on whether or not they will even release an editor (Sandbox 3) for owners.

This is far more important than DX11 or hi-res texture packs IMO. Crysis 1 had some excellent mods,and if an SDK is released I'm sure the community will come through with Crysis 2, although I'd prefer the jungle setting from Crysis 1. (Of course, the jungle setting caused complaints about how overused it was--now the complaints are about the restrictive city setting. Where exactly should a game be based? :confused:)

Props to Crytek for releasing this. Now my 6950 can get stressed finally.

Dont understand why everyones bitching right now btw.

I've tried out Crysis 2 with the updates. Well, I have to say it does look beautiful and the levels look more lighter/clearer (better IMHO) as well.

Definitely slower though, even at 1280x1024. There is some kind of delay while playing, it's very little but I can't help but notice it. Videocard memory maxed out around 1000 MB, highest I've seen so far on my card. System memory (After closing my other windows) stayed around 3,95 GB, lower than I expected from the FAQ but a good thing.

GPU usage was almost constantly around the 100%, so it definitely let's your videocard work hard. Temperatures maxed out around 60-62 degrees. (MSI TWin Frozr)

Anyone else getting this metallic noise while playing?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85A0h4wcedY"]YouTube - ‪Crysis 2 AI‬‏[/ame]

And yes, that is a cell soldier enquiring if a rifle is ok....

I think I am the only one here who really likes Crysis 2. lol

Nope, not the only one. :p

I'm often too impatient to finish a game entirely. But Crysis 2 was one of the few games that kept me interested until the end.

I feel bad for Crytek to be honest

Crysis 1, ships with DX10... enables 'very high', which can be done in DX9 via config at higher framerates and look exactly the fucking same.
-> FUCK YEAH DX10 SUPPORT AT LAUNCH.
-> Uguguughu TOO BAD THE GAME WAS UNOPTIMIZED AS FUCK.

Crysis 2, ships with DX9... launches as one of the best looking games on market, runs smooth as fuck.
-> Immediately forget everything ugly that ever existed in first game
-> It runs... good?? FUCK THAT IT LOOKS LIKE HORSE SHIT. FUCK CONSOLES.
-> DX11 patch, dual card setups begin to get massacred, is the next step a loop back to complaining?

People are literally impossible to please no matter what. Would people have felt better if DX11 was in from the start and did nothing just like DX10 in the first game did? Well, here's the patch, pretty nice visual overhaul with performance that will probably increase with driver-hax, config tweaks, and patches. SDK is dropping soon followed by their answer to UDK. So I guess if Crysis 2 wasn't your thing you're now more then welcome to mod it until it is or just flat out create an entirely new game.

I think I am the only one here who really likes Crysis 2. lol

Tell me about it! There's a good number of folks that like this game, we just don't go ballistic. Honestly, it's just a damn game, if you don't like it just say so and play something else. For a game that the haters said people stopped caring about three months ago a lot of them have spent time in these threads bashing the game again. They obviously care more than they are being honest about.

'Object detail' was also the biggest single performance killer in Crysis at the higher levels. One of the reason it killed performance was because it started to stress the DirectX layer with a high number of draw calls thereby becoming highly CPU and bandwidth dependant. There was some discussion about it recently how the API is starting to become a bottleneck on the PC despite its huge performance advantage over the consoles and it's one of the things that DX11 was supposed to fix. ATi have yet to enable support for it in their drivers, however, while nVidia did so a couple of months ago.

I'd be curious to hear what effect it has on nVidia cards now that multithreaded rendering has been enabled in their drivers if anyone cares to test.

Shading is basically just how much work your graphics card needs to do.

I feel bad for Crytek to be honest

Crysis 1, ships with DX10... enables 'very high', which can be done in DX9 via config at higher framerates and look exactly the fucking same.
-> FUCK YEAH DX10 SUPPORT AT LAUNCH.
-> Uguguughu TOO BAD THE GAME WAS UNOPTIMIZED AS FUCK.

Crysis 2, ships with DX9... launches as one of the best looking games on market, runs smooth as fuck.
-> Immediately forget everything ugly that ever existed in first game
-> It runs... good?? FUCK THAT IT LOOKS LIKE HORSE SHIT. FUCK CONSOLES.
-> DX11 patch, dual card setups begin to get massacred, is the next step a loop back to complaining?

People are literally impossible to please no matter what. Would people have felt better if DX11 was in from the start and did nothing just like DX10 in the first game did? Well, here's the patch, pretty nice visual overhaul with performance that will probably increase with driver-hax, config tweaks, and patches. SDK is dropping soon followed by their answer to UDK. So I guess if Crysis 2 wasn't your thing you're now more then welcome to mod it until it is or just flat out create an entirely new game.

Crysis 1 sold like hotcakes, and Warhead sold quite well too. The people that complained about performance were usually the ones who didn't actually buy it. Then you have those that bought it, but thought it was boring. One of those is a legitimate complaint.

Furthermore, people have different opinions, so it is easy to pick out the ones you like on both sides that conflict and say "LOOK AT THIS HYPOCRISY!!", without regard to quote consistency. The truth is somewhere in between. It seems like people who actually liked Crysis 1 are the ones not liking Crysis 2. They say there is less interaction with the world, certain consolized elements, and an expectation of cutting edge from previous game.

That's how the world works, consumers aren't here to sit on our thumbs and hope a company can shit out a game we like, it's up to us to decide what we like by buying/not buying and offering feedback as well as discussing our opinions with the community.

As far as SDK goes, they have not said with 100% certainty they will ever release a non gimped SDK.

This is far more important than DX11 or hi-res texture packs IMO. Crysis 1 had some excellent mods,and if an SDK is released I'm sure the community will come through with Crysis 2, although I'd prefer the jungle setting from Crysis 1. (Of course, the jungle setting caused complaints about how overused it was--now the complaints are about the restrictive city setting. Where exactly should a game be based? :confused:)

An open city like you fine in many Sandbox games today that even consoles can run. NYC had so much potential crushed by having almost every moment be in an incredibly fake situation where it just happened that all the major roads were blocked off by rubble or cars or barriers.

It's just that artificiality that affects enjoyment. With the jungle, the ocean and mountains feel like realistic barriers.

I don't know about you guys but three years ago, I fully expected Crysis 2 to have the scale of GTA IV complete with completely destructible procedurally created environments :)

Tell me about it! There's a good number of folks that like this game, we just don't go ballistic. Honestly, it's just a damn game, if you don't like it just say so and play something else. For a game that the haters said people stopped caring about three months ago a lot of them have spent time in these threads bashing the game again. They obviously care more than they are being honest about.

/agree, and yeah, I like the game or I wouldn't give a crap about whether the patch was out, let alone any good. I don't get why they hang around here like fruit flies, but, they do *shrug*. I couldn't have put this better myself.

An open city like you fine in many Sandbox games today that even consoles can run. NYC had so much potential crushed by having almost every moment be in an incredibly fake situation where it just happened that all the major roads were blocked off by rubble or cars or barriers.

It's just that artificiality that affects enjoyment. With the jungle, the ocean and mountains feel like realistic barriers.

I don't know about you guys but three years ago, I fully expected Crysis 2 to have the scale of GTA IV complete with completely destructible procedurally created environments :)

I don't know about you, but I can read a product description and thus knew this wasn't meant or intended to be a sandbox game, and enjoy it for what it is ;).

The DX11 patch with hi-res textures maxed looks utterly fantastic, runs between 25min and avg of 35-45 fps on my sig rig using 1260mb of VRAM with no AA :eek: . Need... KEPLER... NOW!!!!! I want to max this sucker fluidly with AA, cmon Kepler already :p . I'm testing near the "collapse" level at the moment. Seriously looks amazing @ 2560x1600 for me :D. Color me impressed, a good game just got even better!

Last edited:

I get 25-30 fps on one 6970 o_O

Back