Crysis 2 demo

Didnt they lie to us about BC2? They said it was primarily for PC, but turned out to be a buggy port, which took a while to patch and fix. Hopefully Demize isnt working on BF3, we all know what a console troll he is when it comes to PC platform and game changes. I remember lots of players reported flares not working on choppers for 3 months, his reply over twatter was that he checked on his xbox360 and the flares were working fine so he slammed the PC crowd with some rubbish "learn to play".

BC2 being buggy doesn't mean anything. How long did it take them to fix BF2? 1942 wasn't exactly bug free at launch either.
 
Just played for a bit. No settings to adjust graphics quality, auto aim, and on screen "press start button"?

Crysis 2 = console port. Very sad but its a fact.
 
If that's true, then the last bastion on the PC is dead too. The only developer to make a real PC game in several years, is going to focus on consoles too.

And this, after all the Crysis 2 TV videos, where they said that the PC version of the game would be quite superior to the console version. The only hope is that the full game does indeed bring some differences suited for the PC...
 
If that's true, then the last bastion on the PC is dead too. The only developer to make a real PC game in several years, is going to focus on consoles too.

And this, after all the Crysis 2 TV videos, where they said that the PC version of the game would be quite superior to the console version. The only hope is that the full game does indeed bring some differences suited for the PC...

Real PC game? So what about the dozens of PC exclusive indie devs? What about Valve and Blizzard? WTF does "real PC game" even mean?
 
Valve is PC-focused but it has done absolutely nothing to advance PC gaming technology since 2004 with its stubborn refusal to ditch that Source engine crap.

TF2 and the L4Ds are good games but they are nothing spectacular...Valve is still largely trading on Half-Life 2 and PC fanboism.
 
Real PC game? So what about the dozens of PC exclusive indie devs? What about Valve and Blizzard? WTF does "real PC game" even mean?

It means whatever I consider to be a true PC Game, in terms of controls, menus, graphics, gameplay. Some aspects are common sense and shared among many people, while other aspects are opinion.

Valve ? Give me a break...they release a game every 100 years and in case you missed it, they are also on the console bandwagon and releasing constant content for the franchises they started on the consoles, while the content that was PC centric and made them what they are today, is ignored.

Blizzard, ok, but I was mostly talking about FPS titles. Since I rarely play RTS's or MMO's, Blizzard, although a quality developer, isn't really a consideration for me.

As for indie devs, I'm talking about AAA titles. Indie devs have obviously merit, but they do not have the budgets that these big studios do and if the PC is restricted to indie devs to get a real PC game, well, it's even worse than I thought.
 
Valve is PC-focused but it has done absolutely nothing to advance PC gaming technology since 2004 with its stubborn refusal to ditch that Source engine crap.

TF2 and the L4Ds are good games but they are nothing spectacular...Valve is still largely trading on Half-Life 2 and PC fanboism.

Precisely. And I can't say they are PC focused, when they're quite clearly NOT being focused on the PC at all.
 
It means whatever I consider to be a true PC Game, in terms of controls, menus, graphics, gameplay. Some aspects are common sense and shared among many people, while other aspects are opinion.

Valve ? Give me a break...they release a game every 100 years and in case you missed it, they are also on the console bandwagon and releasing constant content for the franchises they started on the consoles, while the content that was PC centric and made them what they are today, is ignored.

Blizzard, ok, but I was mostly talking about FPS titles. Since I rarely play RTS's or MMO's, Blizzard, although a quality developer, isn't really a consideration for me.

As for indie devs, I'm talking about AAA titles. Indie devs have obviously merit, but they do not have the budgets that these big studios do and if the PC is restricted to indie devs to get a real PC game, well, it's even worse than I thought.

So its simply a bullshit elitist term. Gotcha.
 
the STALKER series, as well

The STALKER series have been dropping in quality ever since the first game. I loved the original, but the next titles were sub-par IMO.

The developers of Metro 2033 have my attention though. Let's see what happens with Metro 2034.
 
Yeah, that must be it! Great arguments for a discussion you have there!

There is no point in arguing against elitism. I simply don't have the patients to do it. I figured it was just more elitist bullshit before even asking what it was, I just decided to give you a chance to explain what you meant. There is no point in arguing with people like you because it just turns into a circular argument and I have no interest in being forced to repeat myself.
 
There is no point in arguing against elitism. I simply don't have the patients to do it. I figured it was just more elitist bullshit before even asking what it was, I just decided to give you a chance to explain what you meant. There is no point in arguing with people like you because it just turns into a circular argument and I have no interest in being forced to repeat myself.

You're right. It's just as pointless to discuss with someone that assumes something immediately without much to justify it, like yourself.
 
Valve ? Give me a break...they release a game every 100 years and in case you missed it, they are also on the console bandwagon and releasing constant content for the franchises they started on the consoles, while the content that was PC centric and made them what they are today, is ignored.
Uhh.. they have yet to "start" a franchise on a console, whatever that even means in this context. Besides, they've never been quick to release HL things. L4D, which I assume is what you are trying to use in your argument, has nothing to do with that.

Anyway, I'd say their creation and maintenance of Steam not only indicates their involvement in PC gaming, but puts them in one of, if not the dominant, leadership positions in the industry. You may not like them, but let's not make things up here.
 
The source engine really is just awful, the authoring tools are diabolically bad, especially compared to something like the Unreal Engine (UDK)

I recently read about the work they did to get dynamic flow on water in game and it's amazingly convoluted and low quality method full of constraints because of the console hardware.

I don't think we'll see a source engine re-write any time soon, like Epic they are probably focused more on consoles and the current generation doesn't benefit from any updates in technology right now as they're limited by the graphics API and lack of raw computational power.

I'd be willing to bet that Valve have got an engine overhaul in the pipeline planned for the next wave in consoles.
 
I think the smart money is on Microsoft adding in mouse and KB support for their next console.
 
Uhh.. they have yet to "start" a franchise on a console, whatever that even means in this context. Besides, they've never been quick to release HL things. L4D, which I assume is what you are trying to use in your argument, has nothing to do with that.

Anyway, I'd say their creation and maintenance of Steam not only indicates their involvement in PC gaming, but puts them in one of, if not the dominant, leadership positions in the industry. You may not like them, but let's not make things up here.

So, by leading in Steam, it means they care about the PC market ?...What ?
Do you know that Steam is "just" a digital distribution medium ? It does nothing to improve games...

This isn't about me not liking them. it's about what they do and they haven't been doing much for quite a while, especially to improve the quality of PC games, which is the point of the discussion, in how it's decreasing as more and more developers jump to cross-platform development, which is something Valve already did.
 
Yeah Valve are hardly immune to consolitis, look at the matchmaking in L4D and things like the ping value being replaced something akin to mobile phone signal bars, I mean what were they thinking for a PC audience who actually care about this stuff?
 
They set the motion blur to 11 and it's annoying as hell, hard to see anything especially with the tiny FOV.
 
It
Valve ? Give me a break...they release a game every 100 years and in case you missed it, they are also on the console bandwagon and releasing constant content for the franchises they started on the consoles, while the content that was PC centric and made them what they are today, is ignored.

Released 6 games by the end of this year since HL2...why does everyone ignore the games they release that arent Episode 3?
 
It needs some tweaking that's for sure. However graphically it's pretty solid. It almost feels like a PC game. Where it goes wrong is the lack of sufficient game options with regard to video. You basically set the hardware spec, and the resolution. That's all. Comparatively it runs better than Crysis 1 and Warhead did, but it's hard to compare the visuals given that Crysis and Crysis 2 are so vastly different in their locations and styles. That said the weapons models are much better than they were in Crysis and Crysis Warhead. The gameplay of the multiplayer really seems to be Call of Duty with nanosuits and even smaller maps. It didn't run worth a shit at 8160x1600. I had to turn it down to 5760x1440 or something like that to make it playable. There also seems to be issues with the game actually starting on some servers.
 
So, by leading in Steam, it means they care about the PC market ?...What ?
Do you know that Steam is "just" a digital distribution medium ? It does nothing to improve games...

This isn't about me not liking them. it's about what they do and they haven't been doing much for quite a while, especially to improve the quality of PC games, which is the point of the discussion, in how it's decreasing as more and more developers jump to cross-platform development, which is something Valve already did.
Of course. And yes, Steam does do things to help PC gaming. It makes them available. If the only way to get PC games was through brick and mortar stores, then PC gaming would certainly be dead. I rue the day that Valve actually does lose its PC focus, but it hasn't happened yet and I hope it doesn't happen anytime in the near future.

All I'll say is enjoy what you've got while it's there. A majority of the PC community bitched when Crysis was released. It doesn't run on my computer... it's poorly coded... etc. People complaining about stupid things for a game clearly designed for the PC. Well Crytek learned their lesson. Quite frankly, if I were a game developer I don't know if I'd want to work on PC-based games either. The PC community as a whole is very ungrateful, and seems to be only good at looking at the negative side, and not the positive side. And then when a legitimate gripe comes along, like auto-aim in a MP shooter, it holds less weight because people have already complained about every other thing under the sun.
 
Sad ..sad demo. Auto Aim ..??? Really Crytek? On the PC no less.

Its the same sad MP demo that was released for consoles , major let down. This demo is not a good way to stave off piracy or show the game in a positive light. Boring as shit.

Also why are people saying Valve has a console franchise ? All of there console games are PC ports. Saying that Valve has consolitis doesn't make sense either , what Valve PC game suffers from this?? Valve has released games steadily since HL2 as well .. don't be stupid.

Comparing Valve to Crytek is really a sad comparision , Valve supports the PC gaming community and has had a huge impact on it. Crytek has accused the PC gaming community of every thing short of pedophila and after the leak caused internally they will finally drop out of PC gaming and do what they have been "threatening" to do for a while now and go console only.
 
Last edited:
I did mention things like the lack of graphics options in the the beta and a bunch of people moaned that they would fix it for the final game, and here's the demo with that stuff still missing, doesn't bode well!
 
I did mention things like the lack of graphics options in the the beta and a bunch of people moaned that they would fix it for the final game, and here's the demo with that stuff still missing, doesn't bode well!

You'll probably have to edit an .ini to get in deeper into the graphics settings with Crysis 2. I mean shit they left an auto aim feature in the PC MP demo :confused: its obvious they are retarded.
 
You'll probably have to edit an .ini to get in deeper into the graphics settings with Crysis 2. I mean shit they left an auto aim feature in the PC MP demo :confused: its obvious they are retarded.

Lets just hope that auto aim thing was a mistake and it won't make its way into the final version for PC
 
Lets just hope that auto aim thing was a mistake and it won't make its way into the final version for PC
Pretty big mistake! I mean, if they make the same mistake in the retail version and then patch it after the fact, it won't matter. The game's MP will be dead on arrival.
 
Of course. And yes, Steam does do things to help PC gaming. It makes them available. If the only way to get PC games was through brick and mortar stores, then PC gaming would certainly be dead. I rue the day that Valve actually does lose its PC focus, but it hasn't happened yet and I hope it doesn't happen anytime in the near future.

Wow! That has to be the worst possible explanation of why Steam helps the PC market...So a digital distribution system helps the PC market, because it makes the games...available, which is its whole point anyway, just like any other digital distribution system...A digital distribution system...digitally distributes games...ok...

drako said:
All I'll say is enjoy what you've got while it's there. A majority of the PC community bitched when Crysis was released. It doesn't run on my computer... it's poorly coded... etc. People complaining about stupid things for a game clearly designed for the PC. Well Crytek learned their lesson. Quite frankly, if I were a game developer I don't know if I'd want to work on PC-based games either. The PC community as a whole is very ungrateful, and seems to be only good at looking at the negative side, and not the positive side. And then when a legitimate gripe comes along, like auto-aim in a MP shooter, it holds less weight because people have already complained about every other thing under the sun.

And I'm one of the most vocal people in this forum, against that sort of thing - whining about anything and everything - without even playing the game or knowing the whole story.

But that's not what's being discussed here. It's not about criticizing a game based on console screenshots (as what happens in the Skyrim thread). This is about former PC centric companies shifting focus to consoles (Valve and Crytek included) and, in this case, Crytek ignoring things that they know the PC Gamers want (Crysis 1 being an example of that), while catering for the console crowd, with auto-aim and usual consolitis stuff.
I'm really hopeful that the full game is different and provides more graphics fidelity than the console version. That it has all the graphical options we expect. That has menus that work great with keyboard and mouse. That we can customize our controls at will. That there's no mouse smoothing. That we won't have glowing objectives. That we can open doors and not have invisible walls around a hole in the ground, forcing us to take the glowing ladder...At the very least that all this, even if not available in the default package, that we can tweak through configuration file changes.
Gameplay wise, what Crysis 1 offered, I'm sure will be present in Crysis 2, even if the environment is quite different. But if all those consolitis elements are present, I'll be fairly disappointed.
 
Yeah Valve are hardly immune to consolitis, look at the matchmaking in L4D and things like the ping value being replaced something akin to mobile phone signal bars, I mean what were they thinking for a PC audience who actually care about this stuff?

except

1. you could open the server browser and join that way if you really felt so inclined
2. there was a numerical value for ping with the bars

l4d matchmaking made sense, you needed a full game from the start to have any kind of meaningful experience. you could force the server to connect to. i owned a server so i always went there, straight from the lobby.
 
Wow! That has to be the worst possible explanation of why Steam helps the PC market...So a digital distribution system helps the PC market, because it makes the games...available, which is its whole point anyway, just like any other digital distribution system...A digital distribution system...digitally distributes games...ok...
And without Steam spearheading the way, whose to say those other digital distribution services get started? Yeah, it's kind of important that the games are available. Somebody had to take the initial risk. Valve did, took their lumps for a poor launch and got it right over time. You can't discredit that.
But that's not what's being discussed here. It's not about criticizing a game based on console screenshots (as what happens in the Skyrim thread). This is about former PC centric companies shifting focus to consoles (Valve and Crytek included) and, in this case, Crytek ignoring things that they know the PC Gamers want (Crysis 1 being an example of that), while catering for the console crowd, with auto-aim and usual consolitis stuff.
Gripes about Crysis 2 and Crytek's attitude are legitimate. But saying Valve caters to consoles just isn't true. Just because they support them doesn't mean they cater to that market more than the PC. To me, it seems quite the opposite is true. PC is their bread and butter and the consoles are secondary, contrary to most developers these days. I have faith that Portal 2 will bear this out.

Regardless, we clearly do not see eye to eye on this, so I won't continue arguing your point.
 
Valve is PC-focused but it has done absolutely nothing to advance PC gaming technology since 2004 with its stubborn refusal to ditch that Source engine crap.

TF2 and the L4Ds are good games but they are nothing spectacular...Valve is still largely trading on Half-Life 2 and PC fanboism.

don't be dumb. they own and develop the engine, they can change whatever they need to as it's needed. ughgh the first playable unreal engine tech demo was from like 96 too bad epic hasn't advanced that piece of shit since. ughghgh cryengine too bad it hasn't changed at all since far cry in 2004.
 
Way to go release a mp demo nobody can register or login with.. baaah why didnt they just do a sp demo of the first level instead. not like this game breaks any new grounds in online mode.
 
Way to go release a mp demo nobody can register or login with.. baaah why didnt they just do a sp demo of the first level instead. not like this game breaks any new grounds in online mode.

Somebody is logining in, most of the servers are full. Looks like a basic but good looking shooter. 3D Surround works though the framerates seem a little low, getting low 20s at 5760x1080 with 3D on and off with at Hardcore and Advanced setttings didn't seem to help much however the game felt very fluid.
 
And without Steam spearheading the way, whose to say those other digital distribution services get started? Yeah, it's kind of important that the games are available. Somebody had to take the initial risk. Valve did, took their lumps for a poor launch and got it right over time. You can't discredit that.

I can agree with that. Steam has merit because it started it all. But it's definitely not helping the quality of PC games, just because it helps distributing them. That's ridiculous.

drako said:
Gripes about Crysis 2 and Crytek's attitude are legitimate. But saying Valve caters to consoles just isn't true. Just because they support them doesn't mean they cater to that market more than the PC. To me, it seems quite the opposite is true. PC is their bread and butter and the consoles are secondary, contrary to most developers these days. I have faith that Portal 2 will bear this out.

How is the opposite true ? Where are the episodes for HL2, which they promised would be released in less time ? Remember that the HL franchise is what made Valve what they are today. Because WE supported them. If PC was their bread and butter, I wouldn't even need to ask this, because HL2 Episode 3 would be out for quite some time. But they are milking the franchise and the "fanboys".
I'm sure that any answer to this will be the usual "oh, but Valve makes quality games, so they can take whatever time they want to make them". And that right there, is the biggest BS I always read in anything related to Valve...If every developer with at least one good game, had that kind of attention (fanboyism) from people, then we would get 3 games each year, because "hey that one game was great, so they can take as long as they want to make more"...:rolleyes:
This is not PC centric, quite far from it. Actually evolving their tech and releasing new games based on it (and in this century), would be great, but they don't do that for 7 years now. Oh and Portal 2 will be a cross-platform release, so don't get your hopes up. I'm sure gameplay wise it will be solid, or at least as good as the first, but it really needs to be much, much longer than the original to justify its price.

drako said:
Regardless, we clearly do not see eye to eye on this, so I won't continue arguing your point.

Fair enough.
 
Way to go release a mp demo nobody can register or login with.. baaah why didnt they just do a sp demo of the first level instead. not like this game breaks any new grounds in online mode.

I logged in :eek:
 
I'm having trouble getting into the demo because I can't find the fucking START BUTTON! (i.e. "Press Start to Begin")

Fucking pathetic console port.
 
don't be dumb. they own and develop the engine, they can change whatever they need to as it's needed. ughgh the first playable unreal engine tech demo was from like 96 too bad epic hasn't advanced that piece of shit since. ughghgh cryengine too bad it hasn't changed at all since far cry in 2004.

Fanboy much?

First of all, UE3 looks so much better than UE1. CryEngine 2 looks much better than CryEngine 1 (and almost everything else). Source circa 2011 does not look significantly better than Source 2004.

It's ridiculous fanboist posts like this that give Valve equally ridiculous licence to flog glorified mods on a painfully outdated engine.
 
Back
Top