Crazy ideas...let's hear them

Disarray said:
A recling computer desk. It would lay back to a 45 degree angle.

its been done.

i'll go look for the link

EDIT: your the guy that did it, LOL. nice work with that, i liked it.

Thermite Paste said:
better yet, take a crt, take out all the guts, put an lcd in the front where the screen was, and put a computer in the back.
It's been done

Thermite Paste said:
better yet, take a crt, take out all the guts, put an lcd in the front where the screen was, and put a computer in the back.

I was actually thinking about doing that to one of those Mickey Mouse TVs they sell at Target. I think it was a 20" TV. Would be a cool mod for the kid, but way to expensive. If anybody in this house is going to get an 18-20" LCD its going to be me gawddamnit! :p

A water cooled computer where you could chill your beer in the resevoir.

May be possible now with that open resevoir kit.

zandor said:
Just use a heat exchanger. Put a radiator or something in the tank & run the colling water through that. No mixing = no fish crap in your waterblock and no water wetter for the fishies.

thats a pretty good idea

CodeWaste said:
thats a pretty good idea
i had something similar but its a computer case with a fish tank seperate next to it... the reservoir and rad are both submerged in the water, and the coolant has UV reactive dye and the tank is lit up by a UV light or two... so at night, the res and rad tubes glow and it lights up the tank showing the fish... also keeps the water warm and thats good for some kinds of fish

matoch said:
That makes me want to cry. :( Why not get it fixed and have a antique radio that works and is worth something.:)

James
Who said it isnt working. Thats what makes it a crazy idea. :D

I want to paint my old p-1 case PLAD!!!!!!!!!!! and put a disco ball in it ( with a window ) :rolleyes:

You can get the mini disco ball at spencers for 10 bucks also comes with siren and multicolored light thingy all 3 for 10 bucks and they happend to be 80mm, what are the odds of that :D

Build my own freezer with the mobo inside with a desktop case on top to hold the drives and psu's. It would include a 6-8in 110V fan blowing on the mobo. The bottom would be lined with 2 liter pop bottles partialy filled with water to act as heat sinks. The CPU could be cooled with a peilter and the largest, loudest heatsink I can find. The door would be a modified vaccum window. Ducting for the large fan would include dessicant to absorb moisture and keep Mr. Frosty away.

Now if I only knew more about refreidgeration and welding Al I could get started tomorrow. :D

I had a couple of ideas while reading this, I don't know how crazy they are.

The first one was to grab a desktop case (I'm sure there's some around somewhere) and mod an LCD into the top, but one that lifts up on power on - like the flip-up headlights on a porsche or something. Bonus points for a metallic paint job, radiator grille and a tacho for fan speed.

The second one was actually one that I contemplated before - grabbing a server case - one of the ones that's really quite deep - covering the whole thing in black croc-skin vinyl, some corner covers, handle, some knobs that go to eleven, maybe some lit-up valves and dials, a big Marshall or Fender logo - et voila, an amp-PC. Bonus points for mounting a freakin' great 14" subwoofer in it. Actually, if you got an old guitar or bass amp and gutted it, it'd give you a heap of room to play with. You'd need to hire roadies to go to LANs, though.

A third one - build a custom case that's sorta like an Apple folds-down-for-easy-access case - a PC case that splits neatly down the middle, with the mobo on one side, the drives on the other - and the PSU at the bottom, under the hinge. Easy maintenance. Again, extra points if you make it motorized.

Just a few oddball ideas I've had.

-p

paraxion said:
The second one was actually one that I contemplated before - grabbing a server case - one of the ones that's really quite deep - covering the whole thing in black croc-skin vinyl, some corner covers, handle, some knobs that go to eleven, maybe some lit-up valves and dials, a big Marshall or Fender logo - et voila, an amp-PC. Bonus points for mounting a freakin' great 14" subwoofer in it. Actually, if you got an old guitar or bass amp and gutted it, it'd give you a heap of room to play with. You'd need to hire roadies to go to LANs, though.

w00h00!! Someone that has the same idea as me. If you actually do this, I'd love to see it. I'm really wondering about how much effort, time, and money it would take to make the fliptop mod I mentioned. There's no way I'd actually buy one and gut it...even broken Ampeg fliptops are several hundred bucks just because they're collectors' items. I'd use that design because it has the tubes in a mesh cage on the top, and if they'd actually fire, that'd be the shit. If you don't know, this is an Ampeg Portaflex Flip Top from 1966: http://users.rcn.com/jdreyer/ampeg/

The only problem is if you use power tubes, you have to have them connected to a load, or they'll blow up. You can probably get away with just using preamp tubes like 12AX7s or 12AU7s, but nothing more powerful. I think actually mounting a speaker inside the box would have a serious detrimental effect on everything in the system. Hell, the Eminence speakers in my 410 bass cab have 96oz magnets, and the 115 I have is like 123oz. That's a hell of a lot of magnet to put inside a machine.

paraxion said:
Bonus points for mounting a freakin' great 14" subwoofer in it.
I'm not sure, but don't sub-woofers have gigantic magnets on them? Doesn't that cause some major interference?

The post about a case opening like an Apple G4 reminds me: I thought it would be interesting to make a case that contains two motherboards, facing each other. The thing would open up like a vertical clamshell, with each mobo/side hinged at the bottom. Cooling duties would be run off of a centralized pump and radiator. It would be useful as an ultra- compact renderfarm.

I wanna see a PC in a gamecube, with the CD drive where the gamecube's mini-cd drive was but it still looks the same.

This was my most recent project.

normal_DSC00865%20(Large).JPG

normal_DSC00866%20(Large).JPG

Since we're talking about unconventional projects and all. :) Check out the rest of the pics here.

My next project will be a duel TEC'ed water cooled Nuclear Reactor monster PC (that was a mouth full to say)

I will have:
4 D-Tek Pro HC's W/ shroud
4 120mm Fans
8 Green CC/LED 80mm Fans
8 Fan Filters
8 Radation Fan Guards
Green UV dye.
2 Ehiem 1280 (I believe) Pumps
2 Res (Haven't decided yet)
2 275 Watt TEC
1 PC-75 (I believe) Li-Lian Case
1 Fanbus
1 LCD baybus monitor
3 HD coolers
LOTS of Sound absorbent padding, and lots of rubber silencers!

My case will be nuclear reactor themed, and I plan to achieve it this way:

1. I will pain my case a cement texture. Yes, cement texture, including all bay drives. I will stealth the drives also. So, everything will be stealth except the fan bus and LCD monitor, but will be painted cement texture. I will also pain the inside of my case a glossy black.

2. I will create 4 smoke stacks to sit up top of the case. The reason for these is both functional and aesthetics. On top of the case will rest the HC w/shroud followed by the 120mm fan. To cover this and make it look pretty will be the smoke stacks.

3. I will then install all the fans and hook them up to the fan controller. The reason for this is both functional and aesthetics. As, the fan controller controls both the brightness of the LED and speed of the fan. The reason for the filter and fan guards are to give it an 'eerie glow'. Like a radiation glow.

4. I will install the pumps and res somewhere (I'm now sure where) I will buy lead and put lead in the res. I will attach the pumps with hose and add green UV dye to again, give it an 'eerie glow'.

5. The water cooling setup for each loop, will be this:

Pump->HC->HC->TEC->Res->Pump

6. I will replace All LED's I can find with Green ones.

This, is my project as I see it now. LOTS of money, so I will not start for a VERY long time. But, the ideas keep rolling.

That is very much awesome, and at the same time it really hurts my head. Good work.

Tremek said:

Since we're talking about unconventional projects and all. :) Check out the rest of the pics here.

kronchev said:
i want to see more mATX casemods. I dont see NEARLY enough of those. Something about smaller custom computers seems a lot neater than a full sized tower done up

My first mod is going to be done to a mATX case. It's nothing extreme though, just a blowhole and possibly a false bottom made from plexi. I don't think I'll do a window, though. It's a server, so I don't want it to draw too much attention to itself. Although that might change...

Tremek said:

WOW.. DUDE, THATS PIMP!!!....lol, awesome work

EQTakeOffense said:
My next project will be a duel TEC'ed watercooled Nuclear Reactor monstor PC (that was a mouth full to say)

I will have:
4 D-Tek Pro HC's W/ shroud
4 120mm Fans
8 Green CC/LED 80mm Fans
8 Fan Filters
8 Radation Fan Guards
Green UV dye.
2 Ehiem 1280 (I believe) Pumps
2 Res' (Haven't decided yet)
2 275 Watt TEC
1 PC-75 (I believe) Li-Lian Case
1 Fanbus
1 LCD baybus monitor
3 HD coolers
LOTS of Sound absorbent padding, and lots of rubber silencers!

My case will be nuclear reactor themed, and I plan to achive it this way:

1. I will pain my case a cement texture. Yes, cement texture, including all bay drives. I will stealth the drives also. So, everything will be stealthed except the fanbus and LCD monitor, but will be painted cement texture. I will also pain the inside of my case a glossy black.
2. I will create 4 smoke stacks to sit upton of the case. The reason for these is both fuctional and asthentics. Ontop of the case will rest the HC w/shroud followed by the 120mm fan. To cover this and make it look pretty will be the smoke stacks.
3. I will then install all the fans and hook them upto the fan controler. The reason for this is both funtional and asthtics. As, the fan controller controls both the brightness of the LED and speed of the fan. The reason for the filter and fan guards are to give it an 'eire glow'. Like, a radation glow.
4. I will install the pumps and res' somwehere (I'm now sure where) I will buy lead and put lead in the res'. I will attach the pumps with hose and add green UV dye to again, give it an 'erie glow'.
5. The water cooling setup for each loop, will be this:

Pump->HC->HC->TEC->Res->Pump

6. I will replace All LED's I can find with Green ones.

This, is my project as I see it now. LOTS of money, so I will not start for a VERY long time. But, the ideas keep rolling.
this i would love to see... and your spelling is bad bad bad... i would say put the pump up on top next to the smoke stacks but cover it and make it look like a power house next to it with tons of those random wires and power poles or whatever its called good luck

CBR said:
I'm thinking that setup would have to have a prescott. Who knows, could have weenie roast. Get them tiny little ones and roast them. :p

Nah, just a Cyrix MII 300@450 with passive cooling... :D

for real i had a realy crazy idea a couple of years ago... i waz thinking about putting my motherboard up side down so i could cool the processor with the bottom intake fans ...

shit on me ... now lian-li done it ...

this i would love to see... and your spelling is bad bad bad...

Yeah, sorry about that. I edited it just now.

i would say put the pump up on top next to the smoke stacks but cover it and make it look like a power house next to it with tons of those random wires and power poles or whatever its called good luck

That isn't a bad idea actually.... Thanks....

twyztyr said:
The only problem is if you use power tubes, you have to have them connected to a load, or they'll blow up. You can probably get away with just using preamp tubes like 12AX7s or 12AU7s, but nothing more powerful. I think actually mounting a speaker inside the box would have a serious detrimental effect on everything in the system. Hell, the Eminence speakers in my 410 bass cab have 96oz magnets, and the 115 I have is like 123oz. That's a hell of a lot of magnet to put inside a machine.

Yeah, I figure'd it'd be a pain to get tubes to actually work - although, having a tube-driven stereo amp built-in to one's PC would pretty much rock for a media PC. But failing that, you could probably dupe people into thinking they're on by back-lighting them with some LEDs or something.

As to the magnet thing, I personally wouldn't be game to try it, although
Dan tells us it's probably OK. I think there'd be more of a danger of blowing components off the motherboard due to the massive air movement within the case. Still... think of the cooling airflow you'd get during a decent bass solo...

EQTakeOffense said:
I will create 4 smoke stacks to sit upton of the case

Man, kickass. You could even do something like placing a heating coil and a place for some smoke-machine oil; or a shelf for some dry ice - have the smokestacks actually give off smoke. Or just get a Prescott and don't cool it. That smoke'd be a little short-lived, though.

-p

hmm...
my first post...
umm.. im currently thinking about giving my pc an modern ice theme (dont know how to explain it really)

Wel if i had the money i would design something with this sort of look.

*Frosted Techy Look (shruggs)

Frosted Glass attached to pci cards. ( i dont know about the electronic side of it)
Cold Cathode on the base (Aqua)
Small Smoke machine to simulate (coldness)
UV reactive paint blue on top of pci cards. (on top of card and selective components)
Custom made heat sink for hd bay and utilising the intake exhaust fans

*extras.

Plexi Glass Side panel with some sort of decal (dont know what yet. but probably a snow flake)
Cut an square out of my right side panel and light up mobo circuit board.

If u ever seen the movie "paycheck" i kinda want it to look similar to that kinda.

A mouse made to look and "feel" like a tit.
3 nipples: left, middle, right mouse button

An inverted (convexed) 510MX, made to look "even more" than a woman's privates.

kuyaglen said:
A mouse made to look and "feel" like a tit.
3 nipples: left, middle, right mouse button

An inverted (convexed) 510MX, made to look "even more" than a woman's privates.
Freud would have a field day with that, but it's still the funniest thing I've read all night. :D

the smokestack idea could work if you had a thin vertical metal wire and run a current though it, causing it to heat up. Then, just make a system to drip the fog machine fluid down the wire, you could even have a res at the bottom of the stack to gather the unused fog fluid.

my thoughts are to build a case that looks like an airliner turbine engine, it will have to be pretty massive, but I like the idea, especially of putting in a nice big working turbofan running at 1000+ rpms..... ahhhh...... airflow.... I think I could get some nice positive pressure out of that, don't worry if I brought it to a lan or something I would build a screen to keep curious fingers from being ground to stumps. I think I should be able to mount a motherboard across the diameter of the engine, and mount the PSU below th mobo, and then build the drive cages in the back and it should all fit.... just need time and more tool money :(

I dont know if anyone has done this before of if it counts as crazy but I have a sample of Liquid Crystal Glazing on order to use as a case window. It is the type of glass that is narmally opaque and when you apply current to it, it changes to clear. The military uses it alot for windows into secure areas and such. The sample is just about right for the side of a small midtower case and I want to wire it up so that when the system is on its clear and all other times it opaque.

Hey Scar1.8T where the hell does some one get something like that? :D That would make for some nice mods.

CrimandEvil said:
Hey Scar1.8T where the hell does some one get something like that? :D That would make for some nice mods.

The company I work for ordered a few samples from SGG Privalite, but the samples are about $300 per and they return your money if you place an order for their products so to just get a few samples with no intent to buy would be kinda expensive. Since we will get reimbursed I just odered an extra sample and had it temporarily taken out of my pay.

WoWzErS guys........dont get too crazy with those mods.. You're all so out of control..........

Back