Crazy ideas...let's hear them

I've decided to go to next year's QuakeCon. While reading the FAQ, you can only bring 1
pc for the BYOC lan. I for one like to share and leech filez from others while gaming...so
how about putting 2 seperate computer systems in one case.

Its easy enough to do, if you get that one computer system that fits in a 5 1/2" drive bay,
but we all know its better to do it full size.

stfu about the mac's you hijacked this guy's thread!

stfu stfu stfu

Start your own mac thread.

Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs, Macs,........ :D
Hey, you asked for it ;)
The thread is about crazy mods as in: "Crazy ideas...let's hear them" that is unless you think a Mac fish tank is perfectly sane. :D

aL Mac said:

stfu stfu stfu

you stfu, i didnt start the topic about the macs... its not like your the poster of the thread and you're talking too so YOU stop threadcrapping.... jeez

aL Mac said:

stfu stfu stfu

Actually, this part of the Mac conversation is more on topic than the last part. I think a Macquarium would be pretty damn cool, personally.

twyztyr said:
Actually, this part of the Mac conversation is more on topic than the last part. I think a Macquarium would be pretty damn cool, personally.
there was this topic a while ago, a guy made it and i think antec also made it... it was just a normal case window but it was really a flat fish tank... i thought it was a pretty cool idea but if you've ever owned fish before, you'd realize that in that kinda environment, its really difficult to change water, feed fish, etc

ok... self enclosed watter cooled case that can be watter profed, (covers over any port that isnt being used, and watter tight seals on the ports in use) nothing like putting your radiator in a pool of cold watter to keep your temps down. the optical drive would have to be external and removable, it would have to be a mini atx board but it is doable i just dont have the time and $ now.

i want to move my blow hole to the botom and flip my pc upside down so i dont have to deal with any more BTX fanboys

Id like to take an old big ass moniter, put in an LCD and a kick ass rig inside, it would be like an imac but w/o being a silly color, and it would be able to play games and actualy have cooling.

A mid tower with wierless keyboard and mouce and an lcd in the side pannle, so you ony have to bring your mid tower everywhere (set up inside a back pack harness would be cool to, or the same thing but a lap top type interface where you put the pc up, and flip down the side, and you have a keyboard, and lcd

I also like the idea of brushed stainless steel, and maybe some gull wings for the side walls (gull wings come up, mobo tray then flips down, gull wings have lights so you can see into the case when they are open even if the pc of off (but still has to be pluged in)

kuyaglen, last time i was at quakecon, they only gave me one network cable, and one static IP. At least thats what i remember, it was 2000 and I was quite high... so anyways, you might need to put a router in that box.

I've always wanted a case that looks like a dodge viper. It would be the proper scale so that under the hood was a top loading dvd-/+ drive. The power switch would be on the dash board, so you'd have to reach through the car's window to turn it on. All the cords would plug neatly into the back bumper. The headlights would like up and such.

colin said:
kuyaglen, last time i was at quakecon, they only gave me one network cable, and one static IP. At least thats what i remember, it was 2000 and I was quite high... so anyways, you might need to put a router in that box.

I've put one of those pocket sized 4 port switches in a box (self contained lan box) but a
router...hmmm.

I would remove the router case (probably a a cheap Linksys) and place it underneath the
mobo...I would also need a KVM switch built in (its gotta look like one PC).:D

Another crazy idea I had was a water cooled case where one entire panel was the heater
core and the other side panel was all fans! Imagine the cooling on that sucker. :eek:

i had another one of a mini fridge with all the computer parts inside and a tiny hole where the wires would go thru and it cools the comp to below 0 degrees C

that would be kinda cool

I want a case made entirely of case fans held together with little brackets. Half would be intake, half would be exhaust.

I also want to add a little 60mm fan connected to a duct to get cool air in behind my mobo.

I've always wanted to take a really old computer case, like a VT-100 terminal, a TRS-80 Model III, or maybe an IBM PC (the original 8086 model) and mod a modern system into it.

Talk about a sleeper :)

What could be easily done.. a plexiglass case designed much like a full tower, except 2 motherboards, 2 HDD, 2 psu ( or one modified?), 2 dvdrom. Just need to mount that other mobo on the other side and then do your opticals vertically out the top + HDD anywhere you want. sounds good to me, now i just need a second system and more acrylic.

u take a old case (maybe 1996) and put a new computer inside and leave the outside alone. then bring it to a lanparty :D

I'm working on finding one of those HotWheels PCs made in 1999 or 2000 from Patriot. My son loves the HotWheels cars and I thought it would be pretty cool to mod a modern system in to it for him. Only problem is I can't find one. :(

I have always thought about getting a mid tower atx case and putting a MicroATX mobo in it.
The rest of the space would be used for a real live aquarium. this would be all UV lights and all UV reactive cables and parts. For a while i thought i could use the water from that for water cooling, but then i realised that fish shit probably isnt the best thing for my water blocks. :p

This is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

I have a Pentium 1 that I want to turn into a router or find use for it in some other way, and I have my current rig. A while ago my mom brought home this huge wooden box with drawers. About 15 inches wide, by 18 inches tall, and its gotta be atleast 2 feet long. I want to place a center divider inside the box so its now 2 separate compartments. Then place the two mother boards back to back, as the pentium 1 is opposite form factor from ATX (is it ITX?). Then adjust the two side panels so they slide out, but drill holes in the tops so that they lock into place by means of thumb screws. There would be no windows or CCFLs, to keep the box look to it. I'd have to create a front panel from scratch, but all in all it wouldnt be too difficult. Just dont have the money or tools required.

Captain Colonoscopy-

Have you thought of finding out which car he likes most and building a case that looks like the car? Get a block of balsa or something and create a mold for it, then use fiber glass to shape it. It would be kind of like redd38's Dodge Viper idea. You could custom paint the mouse/keyboard/monitor. And if you havent seen it already, theres a hot wheels mouse on ebay.

CBR said:
Captain Colonoscopy-

Have you thought of finding out which car he likes most and building a case that looks like the car? Get a block of balsa or something and create a mold for it, then use fiber glass to shape it. It would be kind of like redd38's Dodge Viper idea. You could custom paint the mouse/keyboard/monitor. And if you havent seen it already, theres a hot wheels mouse on ebay.

I found the speaker/mouse combos on e-bay, too. :) I was thinking about picking up a set of them to go with whatever I do if I can't find a HotWheels PC. I wanted to go with the HotWheels PC because it would probably be a little bit easier than the other idea I had which was to get a larger toy fire truck, gut it, and put the pc in there. I still have to build my wife's computer, yet. I'm taking an old Compaq Presario P200MMX with their old craptastic back plane mobo design and converting that to ATX, cutting a window with flames in the side, doing the 120mm front blow hole with the airplane propeller mod, etc. Should be nice when I finish it, only problem is getting some money together for the internal parts. She really liked the front bezel on that box and told me I needed to build her her own computer so I told her I'd figure something out. :p And I still have to start/finish modding my Antec 1040B case. 2x 120mm on the bottom panel, 1x 120mm blow hole with duct straight to CPU, 3x 120mm exhaust on the top panel, custom PSU mod to use one of the top panel fans as cooling, a few other goodies for myself. Too many projects . . . . . bleach :eek:

i have another idea

i wanna take one of those small toast ovens, like the ones tahts like half foot by 1 foot by half foot big... its the tiny ovens that are for baking pizzas, etc.... fyi, these are not the toy kinds... they're real toast ovens

my aunt gave my dad one of these for like christmas, ive looked at it and thought it was moddable... so now i m waiting for it to break... it has two heat tubes, one on the top and one on the bottom.... i can replace those with CCFLs... then the door panel is made of glass so voila, thats my window.. it has one of those tray for putting stuff on to cool and that can be my motherboard tray.... the top is metal so i can drill and make a blowhole.... the back is also metal and i can do my I/O plate there... theres also a timer and temperature regulator... i can use those as rheobuses and power buttons... it also has a power cord that is 120VAC and i can use that for the power for power supplies

so now i m deciding... if i do that mod, i d have to buy a broken used toaster and clean it up... or buy a brand new but really cheap toaster oven.... or wait for the current one to break

How about a case with anti-family security like a taser or motion sensor dartgun :D

CodeWaste said:
I have always thought about getting a mid tower atx case and putting a MicroATX mobo in it.
The rest of the space would be used for a real live aquarium. this would be all UV lights and all UV reactive cables and parts. For a while i thought i could use the water from that for water cooling, but then i realised that fish shit probably isnt the best thing for my water blocks. :p

I don't know much about watercooling, but couldn't the water get too hot for the fish, depending on what you had in your rig.

Speaking of fish, a friend and I will attempt to build a (crappy) macquarium using a deceased iMac tomorrow (7/16/04). That same day a couple other people i know are going to rip apart an old iBook and incorporate the parts(including the LCD) into a picture frame, creating one of those doodads that display digital pics randomely yet look like a normal picture frame... :p

Captain Colonoscopy said:
dude, you can get a toaster oven for about $15-20, depending on model and quality.
i know... but i dont want to buy a perfectly good working oven just to wreck it and slap a computer into it... i rather use a broken one to make it more useful

wayne said:
i know... but i dont want to buy a perfectly good working oven just to wreck it and slap a computer into it... i rather use a broken one to make it more useful

by the time they break they look like ass...burnt food all over the place etc. I'd just buy the cheapest one you can find...the $15 is worth not having to try to clean the damn thing up first :)

twyztyr said:
I don't know much about watercooling, but couldn't the water get too hot for the fish, depending on what you had in your rig.

Actually I typically have tropical fish which typically need warmer water than room temperature. The components in my comp would bring the water to a nice temperature for the fish.

CodeWaste said:
Actually I typically have tropical fish which typically need warmer water than room temperature. The components in my comp would bring the water to a nice temperature for the fish.

actually the fish crapping in the water would be bad plus fish dont take nicely to water wetter

siege said:
by the time they break they look like ass...burnt food all over the place etc. I'd just buy the cheapest one you can find...the $15 is worth not having to try to clean the damn thing up first :)
...true....

if i cut the wires to the heat tubes in my current one, that renders it as "broken" right? :D

the thing is, not all of them have heat tubes the way mine does... some of those metal grill like things on the bottom where heat comes from it ... mine has the heat tubes and i want a similar one just to use the spot for CCFLs... maybe thats a crazy idea, after all, this thread is for crazy ideas... i might not even do it... or i ll let fate decide and if i have a free toaster oven coming my way, then i ll definitely do it...

my parents dont see the fun of modding, they think its a waste of time and money and i doubt they're gonna buy me a new toaster oven just for a computer mod

wayne said:
my parents dont see the fun of modding, they think its a waste of time and money and i doubt they're gonna buy me a new toaster oven just for a computer mod
Just tell them this: "I can either amuse myself by modding household appliances into computers or I can start smoking pot and get a girl pregnant. Your choice." I'm sure they'll see the light and let you tear into that toaster oven in no time. ;)

On another note, that idea to put CCFLs into where the heat tubes are sounds awesome. Have you thought about what type of mobo you'd use? You could fit one of those EPIA boards no problem I bet, maybe even room for a mini-ATX.

Drugs are bad, mmm-kay.

CodeWaste said:

kronchev said:
actually the fish crapping in the water would be bad plus fish dont take nicely to water wetter

Just use a heat exchanger. Put a radiator or something in the tank & run the colling water through that. No mixing = no fish crap in your waterblock and no water wetter for the fishies.

Captain Colonoscopy said:
Just tell them this: "I can either amuse myself by modding household appliances into computers or I can start smoking pot and get a girl pregnant. Your choice." I'm sure they'll see the light and let you tear into that toaster oven in no time. ;)

On another note, that idea to put CCFLs into where the heat tubes are sounds awesome. Have you thought about what type of mobo you'd use? You could fit one of those EPIA boards no problem I bet, maybe even room for a mini-ATX.

Drugs are bad, mmm-kay.
hahah, good idea

yea, ive thought about it and i figured i d probably fit a microATX in it... probably similar to the board that i stuck in my vcr casing... biostar MVsomething... i bought it for like $54 off newegg and it overclocked my 1.53ghz athlonxp (forgot which model its equal to, probably 1800+) to 1.9Ghz.... i like that board and would recommend it for its size and design of the looks

The coolest mods I've seen have an LCD screen built in. I love that.

The other coolest ones are modded into either house-hold appliances, or (the most cool) the house itself. :D

better yet, take a crt, take out all the guts, put an lcd in the front where the screen was, and put a computer in the back.

Thermite Paste said:
better yet, take a crt, take out all the guts, put an lcd in the front where the screen was, and put a computer in the back.
That's actually a good idea: DIY iMac. I love it. :cool:

Back