Crazy ideas...let's hear them

wizzackr said:
... and it's LOUD as a bloody jumbo-jet (we got some at UNI). heck, every b-class fan-site has LOTS of better design-ideas posted in their forums!

Do you really find the G5 that loud? There's about 4 of em where I work and I haven't found them to be any louder than any of the PC's I've seen.

Now the G4's or an Xserve those are loud.

CBR said:
No war was started. I agree whole heartedly, I dislike those kinds of arguements immensely, and I would hate to be the cause of one. I am sorry for any inconvienence.

Apparently I was the only one who felt it was going that way. So I'd like to apologize to you.

James

matoch said:
Do you really find the G5 that loud? There's about 4 of em where I work and I haven't found them to be any louder than any of the PC's I've seen.
Ditto

Apparently I was the only one who felt it was going that way. So I'd like to apologize to you.

All I saw where two people who didn't understand what I posted ;)

matoch said:

i thought it was way louder than my PC, but maybe the one i worked on had a flawd fan or something? just because two of you said it was not any louder than a normal PC, which makes me wonder...

lol, I remember seeing somebody who made a custom cpu heatsink so that they could fry eggs on it. It actually worked as well, slowly but surely.

Ub312g0d654 said:
lol, I remember seeing somebody who made a custom cpu heatsink so that they could fry eggs on it. It actually worked as well, slowly but surely.

that is awsome!!

CBR said:
I would rather live the rest of my life running this 600MHz Celeron.
this comp i m on (my moms) is a 433Mhz... yea, my life is worse than yours ;)

my crazy idea would be to mod a comp into my hand so i ll plug my keyboard into my thumb, mouse into my index finger, monitor to my middle finger, printer to the ring finger and power to my pinky :D

Da PlaN-R said:
You know your obsessed with case modding when you: dream about it

I dreamed that i fryed my motherboard by frying the voltage regulators from overclocking. Then i bought a referb NF7-S at newegg (in the dream) :confused:

wayne said:
my crazy idea would be to mod a comp into my hand so i ll plug my keyboard into my thumb, mouse into my index finger, monitor to my middle finger, printer to the ring finger and power to my pinky
But what do you use for prOn then? :eek: :D

Rakinos said:
I dreamed that i fryed my motherboard by frying the voltage regulators from overclocking. Then i bought a referb NF7-S at newegg (in the dream) :confused:
:) Funny thing is I had that dream too but with hot chick in it. :D

I have one of those antique radios. You know the type,wood with a point on the top and legs that make it around three feet tall. Anyway, I would like to remove most of the tubes and install a small formfactor system into it so I can load a bunch of music (sorta like a giant Ipod). I want to install a small LCD without changing the overall apearance of the case. I was thinking it would be cool to have some glowing tubes for effect, either by powering them or adding LED's to them.I havent seen one of these modded yet but am sure there are some out there.

mnkykllr said:
I have one of those antique radios. You know the type,wood with a point on the top and legs that make it around three feet tall. Anyway, I would like to remove most of the tubes and install a small formfactor system into it so I can load a bunch of music (sorta like a giant Ipod). I want to install a small LCD without changing the overall apearance of the case. I was thinking it would be cool to have some glowing tubes for effect, either by powering them or adding LED's to them.I havent seen one of these modded yet but am sure there are some out there.

I am actually doing something very similar right now. I have a four foot tall console radio that I have gutted and fitted a fish tank to the inside of. It's not a good fit, just used one that we had. Eventually I'm going to build a tank that conforms to the inside so it doesn't look quite so ghetto. I was going to get one of those car stereos with the screen that pops out of it to replace the actual radio part of it and then a pair of 3-way 6x9 speakers and a set of tweeters to place in the top for sound. I have been thinking recently that a PSOne LCD screen and an EPIA based setup might work better than the car stereo though, I think it would be much more customizable. It's currently a work in progress that I never seem to have the money to finish. If anyone wants to see a pic of what it looks like now I'll post one.

^^ You're Welcome. Now all I have to do is say something stupid to have the same done to me!

mnkykllr said:

That makes me want to cry. :( Why not get it fixed and have a antique radio that works and is worth something.:)

James

matoch said:

in the NYU recording labs they for some reason use dual g5's...even in a stupidly expensive envirometally controlled "sound dampening" box it was louder than my current PC. You win, mac.

i dont like their cases, i mean they take a decenet concept, metal and plexi, and then hit it in the face with a brick about a thousand times, dump subpar ugly as sin components in, which they try to cover up with huge, ugly, unnecessary cooling fans (and then people claim they have passive cooling..ROFL), and market it as "hip" and "efficient" and "innovative". their case designs suck.

fold down motherboard tray is a decenent idea but id love to see you get a PSU cable that long. even if you found one or used extensions itd be EVERYWHERE in the case. although if the PSU was on the bottom (whats that reversed ATX standard called?) then itd be doable and possibly nice.

kronchev said:
in the NYU recording labs they for some reason use dual g5's...even in a stupidly expensive envirometally controlled "sound dampening" box it was louder than my current PC. You win, mac.

i dont like their cases, i mean they take a decenet concept, metal and plexi, and then hit it in the face with a brick about a thousand times, dump subpar ugly as sin components in, which they try to cover up with huge, ugly, unnecessary cooling fans (and then people claim they have passive cooling..ROFL), and market it as "hip" and "efficient" and "innovative". their case designs suck.

fold down motherboard tray is a decenent idea but id love to see you get a PSU cable that long. even if you found one or used extensions itd be EVERYWHERE in the case. although if the PSU was on the bottom (whats that reversed ATX standard called?) then itd be doable and possibly nice.

EXACTLY what i wanted to say in my first post, but i tried to hide my anger underneath a faked cover of nice friendlyness and pretended objectivity ;)

Captain Colonoscopy said:
can we quit talking about macs already?

it was suggested, we are just pointing out why its not a great idea

i want to see more mATX casemods. I dont see NEARLY enough of those. Something about smaller custom computers seems a lot neater than a full sized tower done up

oh yeh, im crazy, whoo hoo.

Captain Colonoscopy said:
can we quit talking about macs already?
Umm... no. Butchering Macs us just way too much fun. Plus it's great fun to show up with a "Mac" at a lan party.
So far I've done an iMac->PC conversion by swapping the CRT for a built-in LCD. The next one I'd like to do is make a new iMac (one of the LCD/lamp ones) into a monitor. Also, the internal CD drive should be plugged into a USB or SCSI (probably USB, SCSI if I can't boot off USB) converter so I can use that too. Then build a rig inside of a flatbed scanner. When it's closed it'll look mostly like a scanner, open it'll have lots of lighting and some sort of logo or design etched into the glass. Obviously you'll be able to see the innards of the machine through the glass. Then I show up to a lan party with an iMac and a scanner...

zandor said:
Umm... no. Butchering Macs us just way too much fun. Plus it's great fun to show up with a "Mac" at a lan party.
So far I've done an iMac->PC conversion by swapping the CRT for a built-in LCD. The next one I'd like to do is make a new iMac (one of the LCD/lamp ones) into a monitor. Also, the internal CD drive should be plugged into a USB or SCSI (probably USB, SCSI if I can't boot off USB) converter so I can use that too. Then build a rig inside of a flatbed scanner. When it's closed it'll look mostly like a scanner, open it'll have lots of lighting and some sort of logo or design etched into the glass. Obviously you'll be able to see the innards of the machine through the glass. Then I show up to a lan party with an iMac and a scanner...

Do you think you can hook up the imac's LCD to something else? I would have thought they'd be wired directly onboard which would make it dificult to hook up to anything else. Also the native res on an imac screen is only 1024x768 which is pretty crappy imo.

I like my powerbook I'd love a G5 but the imac's themselves are so limited I don't think i'd even use the LCD screen for anything.

Oh and I'm pretty sure all the new macs use IDE instead of scsi.

And since everyone has different opinions I'd love to know what the decibal ratings of peoples PC's are and exactly how loud the macs are under idle and full load just to see a comparison. I didn't think they were that loud.

Ok I just thought about this now. One of my pcs is under my desk and so much heat rises out of this slot in the desk where the tower goes. I was thinking I need to be able to do something with all this heat so why not pipe it into a mini green house? Make all that excess heat useful. What do you guys think about that?

kronchev and edited for spelling :D said:
fold down motherboard tray is a decent idea but id love to see you get a PSU cable that long. even if you found one or used extensions it would be EVERYWHERE in the case. Although if the PSU was on the bottom (whats that reversed ATX standard called?) then it would be doable and possibly nice.
Wow that's just...thats just...well, stupid. Maybe you should tell that to Kyle since, obviously, this cables aren't "everywhere". :rolleyes: Such a stupid reason (and one that doesn't make much sense) to not like something. ;)

CrimandEvil said:
Wow that's just...thats just...well, stupid. Maybe you should tell that to Kyle since, obviously, this cables aren't "everywhere". :rolleyes: Such a stupid reason (and one that doesn't make much sense) to not like something. ;)

wow its almost like that isnt ATX standard at all. yes you could use a mac case with mac placement AND DO IT but if youre going to mod a case youd need to mod more than just the tray to get it to fold down.

binary digit said:
Ok I just thought about this now. One of my pcs is under my desk and so much heat rises out of this slot in the desk where the tower goes. I was thinking I need to be able to do something with all this heat so why not pipe it into a mini green house? Make all that excess heat useful. What do you guys think about that?

that the heat and humidity would build up and fry the computer ;)

put your computer in a ziplock baggy and toss all of your internals into a portable fridge :) i will call it "Fr33z3r BurN"......or better yet, mount all of your stuff to a peice of plywood and mount a home fan to each corner blowing across it....put vent holes in the plywood by drilling it like crazy for a while... that should be good :) hell... im going to nail my next computer to the wall! mobo up there with thumbtacks.... cases are overrated...

There are some pretty funny ideas here...but you guys crapping all over other people's posts need to chill. The thread is for ideas you'd like to do, but won't necessarily get to. I've noticed an increased lack of respect for other people's opinions and ideas around here lately, and it sucks.

CrimandEvil said:
But what do you use for prOn then? :eek: :D
my mother gave me two hands... left hand for the computer and right hand for personal business :D :D

Yes listen to wayne... geez. Enough talking about it.

I forgot to mention in my R/C hovercraft case idea: Imagine your computer buzzing over a lake by remote control?

Speaking of macs (sorry guys) some kid at my school wanted to turn one of those old candy-colored imacs into a fishtank. A bit odd nevertheless but I would want to see it anyway. :eek:

buzzard34 said:
Speaking of macs (sorry guys) some kid at my school wanted to turn one of those old candy-colored imacs into a fishtank. A bit odd nevertheless but I would want to see it anyway. :eek:
:eek:

smartt idea... i m gonna do the same thing too IF i can get my hands on one :D

Heh thats awesome. I'm gonna see if I can build one of those since theres a crapload of imac cases laying around where i work :cool:

mmm...macquarium.... :D

Now that would be crazy if one could make a macquarium while the COMP IS STILL FUNCTIONAL :eek: You could bring it to LAN parties and be like," losers. I have a REAL fish screensaver!!"

If you find an extra I'd like to build myself one ;)
I'm might have to start WCing my CPU and those would make a really nice res :D

Back