Crazy ideas...let's hear them

twyztyr

Gawd
I guess this could also be your dream mod...something you want to do but either haven't figured out yet, or haven't gotten around to.

I'm sure someone's done something similar to this somewhere, but I haven't found it...I want to mod a case to take vacuum tubes and look like an old Ampeg Fliptop bass amp. I definitely don't have the money or the time to make something like this work right now, but if I could, I'd be all over it like stank on a hobo.

I think it'd be funny to actually construct the single ugliest case on the face of the earth and make it look stock. Take all the aspects of every case everyone hates and combine them all into one craptacular masterpiece. Talk about fun!!

Ok, your turn.

I had a dream the other night that I modded a computer into my cat . . . while she was still alive. It was an EPIA based deal with notebook DVD and HDD kind of just strapped together. The cool part of the mod was inserting a balloon under the skin on the cat's back and inflating it a little bit more every other day or so until she had enough room in there to mount the parts. I mounted the mobo on top of the drives with the passive heatsinks protruding through the skin to dissapate heat. I then grafted the USB, LAN and VGA ports onto the top of her skull and ran the wires underneath the skin back to the mobo. The only problem I ran into was space for the PSU. I ended up just making the ATX and 4-pin leads modular so I wouldn't have to have the PSU mounted to the cat all the time, only when I need my media served to me. My idea was to have a very mobile media server. Sure its not very practical, but hey it would be a pretty fucking kewl mod.

This is something I'll probably never do, but it would be cool to try.

Take a dome made out of plexi, cover the back side of the dome with plexi and fill it with water. Then cut a hole in the side panel, and install the dome there. The dome would be used as the res. for a water cooling kit.

Or, if you were really worried about temps. You could install a nitrogen kit. Its just like water cooling, but instead of water you use liquid nitrogen. :D

I was building a R/C hovercraft.. the idea hit me to make a hovercraft case. I still reserve the right to call this my idea though.. or something..

a mod where you cover every square inch of your pc in led's all one color either blue/red, so many that you'd be soldering for months and would need a completely seperate ps to power em all. But the goddamn thing would be so bright you'd blind people at a lan and everyone would hate you and love it at the same time lol

I want to see some more PC cases modded to open like Apple's G4 case.

I want laptops to be as powerful as deskops, and have battieries that last for 5 days straight without recharging

You mean you want bateries that last 5 days withoutn a recharge, weigh less than 1 KG, can be recharged in 2 hours...

Because you can have what you originally said, you just need a pickup truck filled with lead/acid batteries, plus a small generator fopr recharging.

CrimandEvil said:
I want to see some more PC cases modded to open like Apple's G4 case.

damn, you just gave me an idea :)

wait...the cube or the powermac? I would assume the powermac....

Either one I guess, I've always had the idea to build a case for flex atx boards like the Cube.
I'm thinking of tearing my Antec apart and making the tray fold down like the Powermac.

Qtip42 said:
worst idea ever. you should be ashamed.

Y????

Gotta be the easiest access to a mobo I've ever seen. Even beats the hell out of a removable mobo tray. You do know that you can pop the side door down and access the mobo WHILE the Mac is on and running, right? I'd LOVE to see this on some PC cases. Make swapping out card and memory way easier....

aL Mac said:
I was building a R/C hovercraft.. the idea hit me to make a hovercraft case. I still reserve the right to call this my idea though.. or something..

This sounds like ProjectTwin's R/C Avalanche. I wish he had finished that damned thing. It was awesome and everyone followed the log for 9+ months.

I would have to agree with Qtip42. Apple cases are ugly as hell. Which leads me to dream mod #2 of mine.

Take an Apple case of any type, preferably with Apple components still installed, and a shotgun of the largest caliber you can find, as well as about 100 rounds of ammo. Set Apple case up on firing range, step away to safe distance, and commence firing on the case. Repeat till case is in 1000 or more tiny pieces.

Captain Colonoscopy said:
I had a dream the other night that I modded a computer into my cat . . . while she was still alive. It was an EPIA based deal with notebook DVD and HDD kind of just strapped together. The cool part of the mod was inserting a balloon under the skin on the cat's back and inflating it a little bit more every other day or so until she had enough room in there to mount the parts. I mounted the mobo on top of the drives with the passive heatsinks protruding through the skin to dissapate heat. I then grafted the USB, LAN and VGA ports onto the top of her skull and ran the wires underneath the skin back to the mobo. The only problem I ran into was space for the PSU. I ended up just making the ATX and 4-pin leads modular so I wouldn't have to have the PSU mounted to the cat all the time, only when I need my media served to me. My idea was to have a very mobile media server. Sure its not very practical, but hey it would be a pretty fucking kewl mod.

You know your obsessed with case modding when you: dream about it

CBR said:
I would have to agree with Qtip42. Apple cases are ugly as hell.

hmmm, yes apple cases are kinda ugly, but the concept of the fold down tray is not. its a really good idea frankly.

I'd like to rip into this Enermax case (which I'm planning on starting soon anyway) and make the tray fold down...been thinkin of how to do it since I last posted in this thread

oh and are you saying you would take a dual G5 machine and go blow the hell out of it? I'm gonna have to say "boo" to that.

siege said:
oh and are you saying you would take a dual G5 machine and go blow the hell out of it? I'm gonna have to say "boo" to that.

I would rather live the rest of my life running this 600MHz Celeron.

CBR said:
I would have to agree with Qtip42. Apple cases are ugly as hell. Which leads me to dream mod #2 of mine.

Take an Apple case of any type, preferably with Apple components still installed, and a shotgun of the largest caliber you can find, as well as about 100 rounds of ammo. Set Apple case up on firing range, step away to safe distance, and commence firing on the case. Repeat till case is in 1000 or more tiny pieces.

Don't knock apple, their cases are just ahead of their time. And let me just say the G5 case is a design wonder, the most brilliant case design i have ever seen. Funtionality meets Beauty in the apple G5.

But I always wanted to mod a lazyboy chair. Put a killer PC in it with a pop out LCD.

CBR said:

odd. quite odd. oh well, to each his own :)

oh and that lay-z-boy idea would rule. for me it would probably be a couch though...more roomy

pistola said:
But I always wanted to mod a lazyboy chair. Put a killer PC in it with a pop out LCD.

Oh yeah.. that's the ticket. And in the winter time, you could re-direct the exhaust fans to the bottom of the seat cushion: instant heated seat!

Something appealing about on-line fragging with your feet propped up in a Lay-Z-Boy... I think you're onto something here.

I am in the process of trying to figure out a way to make the door of my chieftec case flip open from the top automatically. Just cant find anything not totally expensive or a type of hydraulic cylinder small enough. Now I am looking at some how gutting an old cassette deck and using that to make it work.

I refuse to ever acknowledge apple designs in any mods. Thats all.

Veldrid said:
I am in the process of trying to figure out a way to make the door of my chieftec case flip open from the top automatically. Just cant find anything not totally expensive or a type of hydraulic cylinder small enough. Now I am looking at some how gutting an old cassette deck and using that to make it work.

the motor or spring from a tape deck? either way I'm not sure they would be strong enough. I'd try a small motor from a kitchen appliance like a mixer or something...of course you'd have to rig some kinda gear system to make it work. just a thought...

or how about a power antenna motor from a car?

the motor or spring from a tape deck? either way I'm not sure they would be strong enough. I'd try a small motor from a kitchen appliance like a mixer or something...of course you'd have to rig some kinda gear system to make it work. just a thought...

Ya, that is all what I am still debating. I pretty much want it to function like a trunk door on a car. I would have a button that would release the door latch and then slowly allow the door to raise. I thought of just putting a spring hinge on it but I am afraid it will slam open and eventually damage the case door.

Veldrid said:
Ya, that is all what I am still debating. I pretty much want it to function like a trunk door on a car. I would have a button that would release the door latch and then slowly allow the door to raise. I thought of just putting a spring hinge on it but I am afraid it will slam open and eventually damage the case door.

you'd need some pretty f-ing small hydraulic lifters for that...there is a case at directron.com that has a hydraulic-assisted fall, but its pretty much the opposite of what you're lookin for. I personally like the power antenna motor idea best...makes most sense - and you get bragging rights for having something motorized on your case. still trying to think of what I could use one for on my case cause its a good idea :)

CBR said:

This is not the place for a apple vs. pc war. It's a pointless argument that never goes anywhere constructive.

Why not a casket mod? Why go the rest of eternity without a vital tool, such as a computer. You'll be the resting in your coffin, the envy of the entire grave yard with an LCD built into the door, and a 3.4 P4 EE at your feet, and an acrylic window showing off your glorious digs. Dont forget the CCFLs and a cup holder. Theres nothing like fragging with all the saints, apostles, gods, goddesses, etc, and getting quenched. So you're gonna need a hefty supply of bawls to fill that cupholder. Refridgeration is a must, preserve your body while keeping your bawls cold. And ofcourse no gaming system is complete without a sound system. Mother nature does half the job with sound proofing the ground (except in such areas as California where earth quakes are common). A nice 5.1 system in an enclosed sound proof area couldnt get any better. And hey, guess whats the best part. Its got broadband! Cant get much better than that.

I'm just a little bit tired and have gone completely insane. Dehydration + 100 something degree heat = not good.

Originally Posted by matoch
This is not the place for a apple vs. pc war. It's a pointless argument that never goes anywhere constructive.

No war was started. I agree whole heartedly, I dislike those kinds of arguements immensely, and I would hate to be the cause of one. I am sorry for any inconvienence.

matoch said:

Does this look like an argument or a war? I'm just saying that modifying a PC into a Mac is overused and a bad idea. This is for crazy ideas, not "lets see how we can make modify a stock pc into a stock mac"....which is basically going from a tower to another tower. Nothing crazy about that.

Give your crazy idea and quit trying to mod the thread.

The casket mod has been done. The guy used a children's coffin. It did not, however, have refrigeration or a cupholder.

I know it's not an original idea but I would love to figure out how to do the easy bake oven in a 5 1/4" bay mod. Of course, if I ever figured it out then Vantec would steal the idea and start selling it along with there cigarette lighters. ;) I remember the thread that was posted to the site that sold one for an april fool's day prank. I can't seem to remember what place listed it though. Fresh, piping hot pop tarts and pizza rolls at your disposal without having to leave the room, yum.

I would love to mod a pc into my wife. Then she would quit bitching about me spending more time with the computer than her. I'd have to mod a LCD screen into her belly, like a teletubby with big boobs.

I have no idea why my fascination with modding computers has turned to living things and kitchen appliances.

I think ThinkGeek (thinkgeek.com) were the guys thet sold Halflife 2, the Hamster cage case, the EZ-bake, and Stakler on April Fools.

I have always wanted to mod a mini fridge into a computer and use the fridges cooling as well cooling.

im hoping to do this for my next case mod, once i get the money together that is. i am going to join the two sides to the top and then cut the top down the middle. the doors would then be open automatically by small linear actuators at the flip of a switch, or two, towards the sky. kinda like a delorian (i think that's how you spell it). patent pending ;)

Captain Colonoscopy said:
I would love to mod a pc into my wife. Then she would quit bitching about me spending more time with the computer than her. I'd have to mod a LCD screen into her belly, like a teletubby with big boobs.

Sig worthy right there.

pistola said:
And let me just say the G5 case is a design wonder, the most brilliant case design i have ever seen. Funtionality meets Beauty in the apple G5.

dunno - i have always LOVED the apple cases as much as i hated the computers inside of them ;) . However, the G5 case is the most boring, self-cloned dumb adaptation i could think of! man was i disappointed. and it's LOUD as a bloody jumbo-jet (we got some at UNI). heck, every b-class fan-site has LOTS of better design-ideas posted in their forums!

...just my opinion tho, as most people seem to like them. functionwise they are really really good, i give you that. so in my opinion: functionality meets a poop-bad design ;)

Qtip42 said:
Does this look like an argument or a war? I'm just saying that modifying a PC into a Mac is overused and a bad idea. This is for crazy ideas, not "lets see how we can make modify a stock pc into a stock mac"....which is basically going from a tower to another tower. Nothing crazy about that.

Give your crazy idea and quit trying to mod the thread.
I said door, theirs a big difference between the a door on a PC and the door on a Mac. I've always thought removable MB trays were alittle "ass-backwards" you still have to open up the case and unplug everything before you can remove it. Anyone that has worked on a G4 knows how easy it is since all you do is open the door with the motherboard attached to it without having to unplug anything. Thats what I said I wanted to see more of, not PC parts put in a Mac case thats been pretty much done to death and quite frankly most of them are crap.

Caffeinatedsoap said:
a setup where you could actualy cook small things with your processors...

I'm thinking that setup would have to have a prescott. Who knows, could have weenie roast. Get them tiny little ones and roast them. :p

Back