Corsair H70 CPU Cooler - First Install @ [H]

The Dyson "bladeless fans" actually do have blades: in their bases. The air is funneled through internal baffles and guides and out through some weird venturi thing to achieve the smooth air flow they mention. I doubt the design could be squeezed into a computer fan...

It could be done, eventually the technology would funnel down and create "blade-less" fans.

I've had the H50 for a minute, a few of them and I've used them in full tower Lian Li cases. a G70 and a 2000 something or other, the best way to use the H50 / H70 is placing the radiator outside the case and using 2 fans in a push / pull config. Yes it's an eye sore, yes you might have to use zip ties and or long ass screws but it does work and works very very well. Pulling cool air into the case across the fins is how it's done. I challenge anyone else to show me a better way. I will tell you to your virtual face right now, you won't be able to. Having the radiator outside the case at room temp is key.

I've had the H50 for a minute, a few of them and I've used them in full tower Lian Li cases. a G70 and a 2000 something or other, the best way to use the H50 / H70 is placing the radiator outside the case and using 2 fans in a push / pull config. Yes it's an eye sore, yes you might have to use zip ties and or long ass screws but it does work and works very very well. Pulling cool air into the case across the fins is how it's done. I challenge anyone else to show me a better way. I will tell you to your virtual face right now, you won't be able to. Having the radiator outside the case at room temp is key.

How do you route the tubes and block into the case?

...Pulling cool air into the case across the fins is how it's done. I challenge anyone else to show me a better way. I will tell you to your virtual face right now, you won't be able to. Having the radiator outside the case at room temp is key.

Your solution might be best for keeping the CPU cooler but it may may adversely affect the cooling of the other computer components in the case. Ideally, you want to create a NEGATIVE pressure situation within your case. This will create a vacuum effect allowing more air to be forced OUT of your case. Negative pressure will allow for more cool air to flow across all of the computer components and eliminate the possibility of dead/hot spots. Your cooling solution may adversely affect the cooling of the other computer components in the case.

Remember that some of us are running multiple video cards (that are already running very hot). Those video cards may be the most expensive and important components in our cases and it's vital that we try to keep them as cool as possible. That is especially true if we're overclocking them.

I imagine that Kyle has this in mind when he completes his analysis of the H70. One thing is for sure, we'll find out which solution is best.

Last edited:
Remember that some of us are running multiple video cards (that are already running very hot). Those video cards may be the most expensive and important components in our cases and it's vital that we try to keep them as cool as possible. That is especially true if we're overclocking them.

True, but then there are the remaining 90% of us that run one pretty good GPU maybe mildly OC'd but run a CPU thats razzed to the max and want that as the priority.

Different strokes.....

True, but then there are the remaining 90% of us that run one pretty good GPU maybe mildly OC'd but run a CPU thats razzed to the max and want that as the priority.

Different strokes.....

Yes, very well said. I fall into that "rest of us" category. I plan on probably only two gpu's and my cpu, not overclocked at all, so I am assuming I am going to be safe with an H50/70
or that ECC thingy. :rolleyes:

I'm really diggin' how short the block/pump unit is.

Actually the shortness makes me question its longevity. based on completely nothing but small can't be good right? BIGGER IS BETTER I SWEAR IT!

A compelling argument for advanced water cooling.

hmm, those temp decreases from the h70 compared to the h50 is what I achieved by adding another fan to my h50.

I see alot of people who already have the H50 just hanging onto it. But as the the price goes down, The H70 should be a great option. One thing people tend to overlook with the H50 and H70 you are able to cool your PWMIC/Northbridge much better. For example I use an Antec Spot cool with my H50 to keep everything around the cpu socket cool. Because we all know with tower coolers, your PWMIC and Northbridge temps suffer.

Very nice Heatsink.

My roommate just bought his H50 3 weeks ago, and we did some tests with the air blowing in the case and blowing out.

He has an antec 900. We mounted the fan on the back 120mm fan placement and had the fan blowing in from the back into the radiator. With the top fan blowing out, It accually helps keep that air thats blowing in the case from going anywhere since its directly exited from the case.

We also has the fan blowing out of the case to have the heat from the Radiator going out so his 460's in SLI would not get any hotter.

What we found was having the fan blowing in was more beneficial. It lowered his temps on his 940 P2 by 3-4C compared to blowing out.

It also DID NOT raise the temps of the video cards (We think it's because the top fan blowing out the hot air, thus preventing the system from heating up).

I think Kyle might get difference results with a fan blowing in compared to blowing out since he does not have another external fan blowing the air out (and of course his setup it totally different).

I do agree with Kyle that a setup that has the air blowing in from the top would raise the temps of the 480 as it should.

He has an antec 900. We mounted the fan on the back 120mm fan placement and had the fan blowing in from the back into the radiator. With the top fan blowing out, It accually helps keep that air thats blowing in the case from going anywhere since its directly exited from the case.

We also has the fan blowing out of the case to have the heat from the Radiator going out so his 460's in SLI would not get any hotter.

What we found was having the fan blowing in was more beneficial. It lowered his temps on his 940 P2 by 3-4C compared to blowing out.

It also DID NOT raise the temps of the video cards (We think it's because the top fan blowing out the hot air, thus preventing the system from heating up).

This is similar to my setup and what I've found. I have a Corsair 750W PSU sitting right above the CPU/H50 'blow in zone' and that shifts most of the warm air from the H50 straight out of the case.

I'm not too worried about warm air going into the PSU as its designed to take a bit of heat and running well below spec for my setup.

If I put my hand where the ram is I cant feel any warn air reaching the fingers. So its not affecting my 5770 to any major degree. The GPU sits quite a way below the blow in zone so its out of the way.

As its a single card setup I could just move it down further to the lower PCI16 slot.

I'm not too worried about warm air going into the PSU as its designed to take a bit of heat and running well below spec for my setup.
The PSU fan will just speed up, creating more noise...
Also, won't some of the heated air from the PSU loop right back into the radiator?
If I put my hand where the ram is I cant feel any warn air reaching the fingers.
Is there any (forced) air movement at all?

There's a clear risk that the air flow paths will be messed up enough to reduce important parts of the cooling.

Dam..I had the same though about that fan development too..wouldn't that make for a BAD ASS fan with no blades

It just occurred to me that after seeing a commercial for this Dyson Bladeless Fan, that it would be cool if someone could apply the physics of its technology of entrainment and inducement to a fan that can fit inside a computer chassis. I wonder if it is a viable solution for noise reduction and moving more CFM's.

Any comments? Redbeard? Oh, I think I just gave Corsair an idea. Ka-Ching!!!! :D:D

I for one have no argument about Kyles preview. Maybe because of everyone's response, in the future don't bother doing them a favor and giving them a heads-up, just wait til your final, in-depth review is done, then you won't have to endure comments such as these two-fold; once for the 'pre-view', and again for the 'official' review.

I will take this opportunity (and I say this with much love :D ) to say that I miss a nice article without any mispellings and poor grammar. Ok I am going to shower and wash my very sanded vagina. LOLOLOL!!

Also, won't some of the heated air from the PSU loop right back into the radiator?
Is there any (forced) air movement at all?

Nope as I put a plastic air dam at the back of the case which divdes the outgoing air from the PSU and the incoming air below it. Under the dam the air is perfectly cool and room temperature.

Nothing else is affected heat wise as all temps (GPU etc) are fine.

Dam..I had the same though about that fan development too..wouldn't that make for a BAD ASS fan with no blades

iirc, dyson is just a normal fan, with all the stuff in the base, and air ducts to move the air to the "bladeless hoop(laa)" at the top. It looks like it's bladeless... which is exactly the point. There is still a fan in the base unit.

seeing some of the numbers floating around it is not worth the extra 30-50 dollars for 2-3 degree decrease in temps.. I do love the smaller profile cpu block though

iirc, dyson is just a normal fan, with all the stuff in the base, and air ducts to move the air to the "bladeless hoop(laa)" at the top. It looks like it's bladeless... which is exactly the point. There is still a fan in the base unit.

Yeah.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6314107/Dyson-bladeless-fan-how-it-works.html

The mechanism in the base is fairly bulky and I don't think the whole thing will be viable in a small 120mm form factor for a very long time. If ever.

dyson is just another one of those brands designed to part the upper-middle class of their money. I have no faith in anything they produce.

You think this'll cool better than a thermalright venomous-x?

I'd also like corsair to make a WC GPU cooler as well.

Not sure if this is feasible, But owell.

Would be kinda cool if Corsair offered a step-up type for owners of the H50 at a reduced price.

Say you buy the H70 from Newegg (pfft) & if you own the H50, Send in a rebate form w/ the serial # off the H50 and Corsair sends you a rebate for purchasing the H70.

Or something similar

My i7 920 gets up to 79c with my H50 at 4ghz... maybe I'll get the H70 so I can run at 4ghz without any worries

how much better is a push pull H70 vs a H50 with similar fans?

Awesome review, and definitely looking forward to some performance figures for different fan configurations.

I can definitely see myself trying out the H70 as soon as it is available. The only thing that bugs me is that between the rad and two fans the cooling unit is 100mm thick! That's...big!

Kyle,
Sweet setup and review. Sorry to go off topic, but, how do you like having those 480's next to each other like that? I have the FT02 and am looking into a 480 sli setup, but from past experiences with normal MB mountings and 2X 280's right next to each other I had 1 overheat and shit the bed. Your thoughts?

I am getting an Obsidian 800D. Could you mount the Rad and fans in one of the top fan slots and have it as intake?

I have an old 775-generation TRUE Black with 2 Scythe S-Flex models, on my Core i7 920 @3.8, house in my Corsair Obsidian 800D with stock fan setup (ie. I've not yet put fans in the top "rad area" ).

I'm very curious if the H70 would benefit even more from upgrading the stock fans to Feser Triebwerk Mediums - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...m_Mid_Speed_Fan_-_1800_RPM.html?tl=g30c95s933 ?

I've read quite a few reviews from those who use them on their custom watercooling setups and they report that Triebwerks make a very noticeable change in their radiator's performance, topping all of the "normals", except the ultra high flow ultra loud Delta models. Would anyone be willing to test their H70 with a 1 or 2 Triebwerk setup?

I'm considering upgrading my cooling and if I don't go custom "full water", I'd really prefer to go something like the H70 instead of a typical air cooler because the space saved directly atop the motherboard is a a godsend for easy installation, but I don't want to sacrifice performance compared to a TRUE, new Thermalright and Prolimatech offerings etc...

Think that the H70 will prove a worthy upgrade to what I have now, especially with a Triebwerk addon? If I do upgrade, I'm curious as to the best positioning as well - out the back of the Obsidian 800, or on top? Intake, or exhaust?

I thought hardocp's review would be out by now :/ sofar all of the reviews i've seen are underwhelming. No 13c difference between h50 and h70 like corsair says.

I've read quite a few reviews from those who use them on their custom watercooling setups and they report that Triebwerks make a very noticeable change in their radiator's performance, topping all of the "normals", except the ultra high flow ultra loud Delta models. Would anyone be willing to test their H70 with a 1 or 2 Triebwerk setup?

I currently have an H50 with x1 Triebwerk low speed fan (1200rpm). My i7 960 is oc'd to 3.67ghz w/ turbo (3.8ghz). 48C idle, 63C during regular gaming and 82C during LinX testing. My ambient room temp is pretty high at around 44C so the temp delta isn't that bad, plus my rig is very quiet.

I just ordered an H70 from newegg and it should be coming in on Monday. I'll be installing the low speed Triebwerk fan on it. Will post my results sometime next week.

I just ordered an H70 from newegg and it should be coming in on Monday. I'll be installing the low speed Triebwerk fan on it. Will post my results sometime next week.

How could you have just ordered a H70 from newegg & get it monday when its Auto Notify from NewEgg?

Back