• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Corsair: 650D

I got the fan kit today. Came surprising quick considering it was shipped last Thursday and I'm in Canada. Pretty quick for the free UPS shipping option. Good job Corsair for that. That buzzing noise that occured when the fan controller was set to medium or low is now gone. Though, I feel that the front fan on low is only a little bit quieter than on high. Anyways, I took a pic of what's included.

Funny, got mine too today, and in Canada aswell.
 
Thanks Skunk, did I really say that? Noctua male grommet type replacements for the Corsair screws? Really am I reading you wrong? No no no no, don't tell me this is the current state of things. If Corsair doesn't make that call to Austria soon we are all eFFed in the ass!

It has to happen this year please George it really could be the best of Corsairs' collaborations, please George pick up the phone, for everyones' sake call Huttengasse! There is a really nice guy there Jakob Dellinger he has an accent so what get over it! He can hook up Corsair and Noctua. Please call them! Please give us the ultimate 200mm fan supersilent in Obsidian Black with awesome Corsair inline attenuators, no buzz, no whine, pure pleasure, pleeeeeese do it! Come on George lets make things better for everyone!:)
 
Last edited:
You just pass the rubber screws through the mounting holes and yank it. Noctua I believe uses similar mounts. I think they might be meant for one time use though. On the instructions it shows cutting off the rubber tails, but I just left them.

How about the top one, that is the one I'm wondering about as the mounting holes for the fans look pretty wide for those grommets.

They are similar to Noctua's, but Noctua's are reusable and definitely don't look as cheap.
 
How about the top one, that is the one I'm wondering about as the mounting holes for the fans look pretty wide for those grommets.

They are similar to Noctua's, but Noctua's are reusable and definitely don't look as cheap.

Yeah, the top fan gets mounted the exact same way. They fit.
 
I'm going to assume you had to remove the front panel to install the grommets for the front intake fan, correct?

Thanks.
 
Yup, I had to remove the front panel, which also means my dvd drive had to come out as well.
 
Crap, that's gonna somewhat suck, gotta remove my Blu-Ray drives, the front panel and then redo all the fan cables. Now I'm regretting keeping this case and not getting something else, especially since others on the Corsair forum have reported whining from the fans now using the new fan controller wire. Guess I'll have to see how bad things are when the kit arrives...
 
Having to remove the optical drives in order to take the front panel off is a little bothersome, but at least its toolless and quick. You know, I did read that post on the Corsair forums, some guy Kit mentioned a whining noise. I actually do notice that as well, but only from the front fan. The top fan doesn't do that, but it makes some kinda other noise that's intermittent. The 200mm stock fans don't seem to be that great. At lease the top fan can be easily replaced, but I don't know what would be a better fan for the front. There isn't a whole lot of options.
 
Thanks Skunk, did I really say that? Noctua male grommet type replacements for the Corsair screws? Really am I reading you wrong? No no no no, don't tell me this is the current state of things. If Corsair doesn't make that call to Austria soon we are all eFFed in the ass!

It has to happen this year please George it really could be the best of Corsairs' collaborations, please George pick up the phone, for everyones' sake call Huttengasse! There is a really nice guy there Jakob Dellinger he has an accent so what get over it! He can hook up Corsair and Noctua. Please call them! Please give us the ultimate 200mm fan supersilent in Obsidian Black with awesome Corsair inline attenuators, no buzz, no whine, pure pleasure, pleeeeeese do it! Come on George lets make things better for everyone!:)

Haha, sorry man, Noctua didn't invent rubber fan mounts or in-line resistors. These things have existed long before they did.

The fan kit is designed to work with the existing rubber mounts on the fan holes in combination with the new fan mounts. If you want, you can cut them off. If not, they don't hurt anything.

The in-line fix isn't a resistor here, that would slow down the fans. The fix we include is a capacitor designed to smooth out the PWM signal from the fan controller.
 
More whining noises even with the fan fix. Not encouraging to hear.

Not a problem though. By the time I get my fan fix kit I'm sure the Corsair 950D will already be available with Dyson vacuum technology and have all connectors hand-wired by mastercraft Swiss and German engineers. The side panels will also be developed by Crytek and they will contain special nano-adaptive capabilities as to fit perfectly flush with all other elements of the case. Bulging be gone!

CLOAK ENGAGED
 
Dam that seems like an jerry rigged fix at best. Do the new cases come with that pre installed? Seems that us early addpters are getting some extra wirring and residual stuff to mess with....
 
Anyone with the kit tried only the rubber grommets and leaving the fan controller as is?
Does it still buzz etc?
 
Anyone with the kit tried only the rubber grommets and leaving the fan controller as is?
Does it still buzz etc?

The rubber grommets are merely there for vibration transmission. The real fix is the capacitor to clean up the PWM fan controller, which alleviates the harsh stop/start in the motor of the 200mm fan which causes most of the vibration in the first place.
 
Darn, may have to bypass the controller then and use my own which I have lying around.

Can the one in the 650D be removed to at least clean up the wires?
 
Darn, may have to bypass the controller then and use my own which I have lying around.

Can the one in the 650D be removed to at least clean up the wires?

Yeah, it's two screws holding it in if I remember right.
 
Why didn't the fix kit include a band new controller? Spending 200+ bucks on a case only to get a jerry rigged fan controller solution leaves me kinda underwhelmed.

Also shipping is taking forever. Not to sound ungrateful, but Redbeard your folks should know that at this pricepoint the bar is set pretty high.
 
Why didn't the fix kit include a band new controller? Spending 200+ bucks on a case only to get a jerry rigged fan controller solution leaves me kinda underwhelmed.

Also shipping is taking forever. Not to sound ungrateful, but Redbeard your folks should know that at this pricepoint the bar is set pretty high.

I agree. I don't want to sound like a nuisance or ungrateful either, it's just a shame that such an awesome case has to deal with what I would imagine to be such a fundamental issue.

I understand things happen though. Still concerned about the noise coming after the fix. Still concerned about my order not having arrived or shipped. Small potatoes, I guess. I could be dealing with a nuclear meltdown, instead I'm griping about buzzing computer fans. It'll get fixed when it gets fixed.
 
Couldn't wait any longer for the 650 so just went with the 800D. Its huge but I don't think I'll need a new case ever again.
 
Why didn't the fix kit include a band new controller? Spending 200+ bucks on a case only to get a jerry rigged fan controller solution leaves me kinda underwhelmed.

Also shipping is taking forever. Not to sound ungrateful, but Redbeard your folks should know that at this pricepoint the bar is set pretty high.

A new controller could be made available to the more technical customers, if need be in the future, but it'll be another month before we have inventory on that part.

So the question came down to fixing 100% of the units with the issue with a kit in a matter of a couple weeks, or fixing 100% of the units with the issue in a matter of months.

I have the fix-it kit on my home system, and am not planning on using the new fan controller, because functionally it'll work identically, and replacing the fan controller is kind of a pain.

That being said, if, in a month or so, when we have the linear fan controllers in stock, if one of you guys wants it, I'll gladly ship it to you.
 
A new controller could be made available to the more technical customers, if need be in the future, but it'll be another month before we have inventory on that part.

So the question came down to fixing 100% of the units with the issue with a kit in a matter of a couple weeks, or fixing 100% of the units with the issue in a matter of months.

I have the fix-it kit on my home system, and am not planning on using the new fan controller, because functionally it'll work identically, and replacing the fan controller is kind of a pain.

That being said, if, in a month or so, when we have the linear fan controllers in stock, if one of you guys wants it, I'll gladly ship it to you.

awesome
 
George, I think I am a more technical customer, count me in on the fantroller upgrade. I will see you at AT&T park in the Fall and remember the game isn't over until Steve Perry sings!;)

"When the lights go down in the city"
 
Last edited:
A new controller could be made available to the more technical customers, if need be in the future, but it'll be another month before we have inventory on that part.

So the question came down to fixing 100% of the units with the issue with a kit in a matter of a couple weeks, or fixing 100% of the units with the issue in a matter of months.

I have the fix-it kit on my home system, and am not planning on using the new fan controller, because functionally it'll work identically, and replacing the fan controller is kind of a pain.

That being said, if, in a month or so, when we have the linear fan controllers in stock, if one of you guys wants it, I'll gladly ship it to you.

Ok, now that's customer service!
Put me down for one of those as well please.

I'll take the time in pulling out the old controller to be able to have a cleaner cable management setup in the 650D!
 
Same here, I would really prefer the fan controller vs a jerry rigged fix. I will take the case apart just of that. Thank you for the feedback, I will reach out to you in May.
 
Wait, so do the CC650DW-1 have that capacitor or is the actual controller fixed?
 
Still waiting on the fix... :(
No shipping notice either yet.
Redbeard, are you sure all the initial orders have had their items shipped?

Thanks.
 
I'm sure this as been asked somewhere in here, but can a dual 120mm radiator be mounted at the top without modification? The spacing in the pictures makes it look like the mounting holes are spaced out a bit.
 
I'm sure this as been asked somewhere in here, but can a dual 120mm radiator be mounted at the top without modification? The spacing in the pictures makes it look like the mounting holes are spaced out a bit.

They are spaced appropriately for a dual 120mm or a dual 140mm.
 
Ok, so this order actually is already processed and ready to ship.
Guess my original order was stuck in the system somewhere.

Redbeard, you may want to have someone look into it, if you need my order number for the stuck order to help resolve the issue for others, let me know.
I may finally get this! Too bad I've had to wait almost a month since ordering it to finally get a shipping notice.
 
Back
Top