CONTROL (Remedy)

It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, some people hate that you never get really out of the bureau. It's certain areas and the little details like the mop swirls left on the floor when you meet the janitor. And it's very much a physics showcase to the point that at least a couple of times I was going crazy looking for a key or entrance and suddenly realized that I was passing a window... :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, half the time it never occurred to me that I could break through a window in this game. It seems like sometimes you can't so it's a bit random.

Once you upgrade throw a bit the only ones you can't break are pretty obvious- they have the reinforcing grid in them.

I completed the game a few minutes ago. I still don't know what to think of it. It's okay, I guess. On paper it sounds great - a supernatural mix of Alan Wake, Half-Life 2, and a little bit of Metroid-vania. Yet I don't think it did anything particularly well. It didn't suck, but I didn't really enjoy it much. The exploration element never truly got fleshed out that well and combat was the same thing over and over. Not sure why they emphasized grabbing random objects when you literally grab the building itself 1/2 the time. It just felt like they put a lot of time into things that barely matter. Combat-wise, I found myself mostly using a cadence of 2-3 thrown objects and using the charge-up gun while waiting for my powers to regenerate. The explosives gun was also of use, but throwing random shit and charged shots always seemed to hurt the most. If I paid for the game, I'd probably be disappointed. As a free Epic game, it was at least something interesting to experience for a week. The talk of a sequel (and reading the stuff about Bright Falls in Control) makes me want an Alan Wake crossover. I liked that game quite a bit more, in spite of its many flaws.

Yeah, the combat could have been made more interesting. Other than the DLC's if was pretty basic. But I did enjoy the world building and event / object notes everywhere. And for some reason the Oceanview motel unnerved me beyond all reason...

One thing I wish I had more "control" over was respawning enemies. They keep giving you assignments involving killing enemies in certain areas in certain ways...but you can't actually do that until they respawn. Even when they do, there's no guarantee that the right types of enemies will show up, too. I found that annoying. They throw power-ups at you left and right, but the ones I wanted (more damage, health, energy) stayed lower level for nearly the whole game. I'd get like a half dozen level 5 mods that would make my shield 0.02% better, while I'm running around with a level 1 health booster that gave me 20% more health.

Yeah, not really sure why they're giving this entire thing away for free now. It deserves at least $30 even now, IMO.

It says 29 cents so did it get another price drop? lol

And why does it say "Please Note: This code CANNOT be redeemed after December 1st, 2021"

It says 29 cents so did it get another price drop? lol

And why does it say "Please Note: This code CANNOT be redeemed after December 1st, 2021"
Because it cannot be redeemed after December 1st? Quite self explanatory. They probably have a bunch of these keys that expire on Dec 1st, hence why they are giving it away basically.

So, I own the game already 4 times. Bought it on Epic, then Steam, then on PS4 and finally PS5.

However, $0.29 for a DRM free copy is way too good a deal to pass up. I just bought it and redeemed it, the deal is legit.

Hi my pc:
10850K stock 4800mhz
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I dont know if this is game issue or my gpu on stock. In some specific level when i shoot with gun and broke glass then i have small black flickering points on that glass. Happens only in one level only after i shoot and broke glass. I guess its the game?

Sorry didnt have time to make clip video.

Hi my pc:
10850K stock 4800mhz
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I dont know if this is game issue or my gpu on stock. In some specific level when i shoot with gun and broke glass then i have small black flickering points on that glass. Happens only in one level only after i shoot and broke glass. I guess its the game?

Sorry didnt have time to make clip video.
It's the game. The reflections are grainy and it's more noticeable in some situations than others.
Your computer is fine, still.

Thank you very much :)
I think this game gets too much praise for its graphics. It looks pretty good at times but it is by far the most noisy, flickering, grainy game I have ever played. I still enjoy playing it though...

I cant understand why here 2080 ti gettin only 10 fps less than 3080 ti during heavy combat in this specific level. Resolution DLSS 960P and other details are the same.Also gpu load is 98% here on 2080 ti. When 3080 Ti or 3090 have drops to 70-80 usage. I checked that on my rtx 3090 and yeah i have drops to 80% gpu usage in this place in game during combat. Is this updated game issue or rather drivers?

I cant understand why here 2080 ti gettin only 10 fps less than 3080 ti during heavy combat in this specific level. Resolution DLSS 960P and other details are the same.Also gpu load is 98% here on 2080 ti. When 3080 Ti or 3090 have drops to 70-80 usage. I checked that on my rtx 3090 and yeah i have drops to 80% gpu usage in this place in game during combat. Is this updated game issue or rather drivers?

Most likely due to the physics and AI being handled by the CPU. The more the CPU works in a scene, the more the GPU has to wait for frame updates from the CPU. This will lower GPU utilization as it waits.

This game is really physics heavy, and that is done on the CPU. So probably a CPU bottleneck. Also, you can't accept the CPU percentage on MSI Afterburner, cause with multi-core CPUs the load is distributed.

So the CPU usage might say 40% but you are actually maxing out the main thread or the physics thread. This is difficult to test, as games implement multi-threading in different ways so there is not a standard method to verify.

Ok but why during combat utilization drops to 70- 80% with 3080 ti and Ryzen 9 5900X
and my 3090 and 10850K. When on 2080 ti and 9900K utilization is 98%.

Ok but why during combat utilization drops to 70- 80% with 3080 ti and Ryzen 9 5900X
Primarily because the 9900K has 2 cores and 4 threads fewer than the 10850K, 4 cores and 8 threads fewer than the 5900X.

Secondary is because the 3080 Ti and 3090 are much more powerful compared to the 2080 Ti, meaning they are getting work done at a faster rate comparatively. The faster the GPU finishes rendering a frame, the longer it will have to wait on the CPU.

I think this has already been thoroughly answered, but I have a feeling more detail may be wanted...
It is not a driver issue. There are no updates available or coming for Control that will change this. It does not indicate a problem with your system.
As mentioned by others, it's because this game is quite physics-heavy and it's doing physics calculations on the CPU, and it has to do much more of those in combat when objects and particles are flying around. From what I've observed, Control seems to do its physics processing across only one or two threads which means that CPUs with many cores do not necessarily perform better than ones with fewer cores. This can cause a CPU Bottleneck with very fast graphics cards. There is no way to "force" Control to use more CPU threads to spread the physics load, this is just how the game is put together.
What those numbers indicate is that apparently, in Control, at those settings, a 9900K is just fast enough to allow a 2080Ti to work as hard as it can.
Since GPU utilization drops with graphics cards that are faster than a 2080Ti, and the resulting performance is not that much higher than a 2080Ti, that means that, in this particular game, at these particular settings, even fast CPUs cannot "keep up" with the fastest GPUs and the GPU has to "slow down" to keep pace. That's an oversimplification but is the essence of what a "CPU Bottleneck" is.
This is normal behavior that can be exposed on almost any game / CPU / GPU combination, but it becomes much more apparent when the GPU is very fast, or the game is running at a very high framerate. One only need take notice if GPU utilization is ALWAYS low- in that case, it means the CPU is seriously holding back the GPU and one should increase graphics settings until GPU utilization is high. That does not seem to be what is going on here. If the game is mostly keeping high GPU utilization and only dropping lower in really intense combat scenes (which, again, can overload the CPU in Control due to the way the game handles physics calculations) then it's completely fine and is performing as expected in the circumstances.

I think this has already been thoroughly answered, but I have a feeling more detail may be wanted...
It is not a driver issue. There are no updates available or coming for Control that will change this. It does not indicate a problem with your system.
As mentioned by others, it's because this game is quite physics-heavy and it's doing physics calculations on the CPU, and it has to do much more of those in combat when objects and particles are flying around. From what I've observed, Control seems to do its physics processing across only one or two threads which means that CPUs with many cores do not necessarily perform better than ones with fewer cores. This can cause a CPU Bottleneck with very fast graphics cards. There is no way to "force" Control to use more CPU threads to spread the physics load, this is just how the game is put together.
What those numbers indicate is that apparently, in Control, at those settings, a 9900K is just fast enough to allow a 2080Ti to work as hard as it can.
Since GPU utilization drops with graphics cards that are faster than a 2080Ti, and the resulting performance is not that much higher than a 2080Ti, that means that, in this particular game, at these particular settings, even fast CPUs cannot "keep up" with the fastest GPUs and the GPU has to "slow down" to keep pace. That's an oversimplification but is the essence of what a "CPU Bottleneck" is.
This is normal behavior that can be exposed on almost any game / CPU / GPU combination, but it becomes much more apparent when the GPU is very fast, or the game is running at a very high framerate. One only need take notice if GPU utilization is ALWAYS low- in that case, it means the CPU is seriously holding back the GPU and one should increase graphics settings until GPU utilization is high. That does not seem to be what is going on here. If the game is mostly keeping high GPU utilization and only dropping lower in really intense combat scenes (which, again, can overload the CPU in Control due to the way the game handles physics calculations) then it's completely fine and is performing as expected in the circumstances.
Oh thank you Natty for real explanation. I am really greatful. Thank you so much . :)

Oh thank you Natty for real explanation. I am really greatful. Thank you so much . :)
Also just FYI this is not uncommon in games for them to be multi-threaded... but only kinda. They have one or two threads that everything really depends on and they will hit a speed cap on those/ More cores won't help, only more core speed. Elder Scrolls Online was that way real bad prior to the latest updates (and is still that way to a lesser extent) as another example. That is why the Intel 12th gen CPUs slap ass compared to the 5950X. Despite the 5950X being a real full 16-core CPU and the 12900 being an 8+8 deal, the Intel draws more juice and can push the performance cores harder, giving more to the critical threads in a game.

So you may see similar behaviour in other games, even new ones.

I played this back in August/September after I put together my new rig, and I can say yeah it definitely surprised me by how monotonous and tedious it became. It started off good and I really liked the meatiness of the environments and overall look of everything. The weapons are pretty interesting, but I found it stupid that you could only use two at a time. I found myself sticking with the railgun mod and the starter regular pistol the whole way through.

The problem is it just starts to drag on and on. I thought the Ocean Side motel sequence was kinda lol the first time. After the fifth time doing some uninteresting little puzzle and pulling the light cord three times I was like yeah lol wtf, but not in a funny way. Alan Wake was the same way for me, started off good, then just drags on...I can't really get into their games anymore it seems.

There is definitely some interesting stuff going on with Control though, I didn't hate it.

Strange. I guess not every game is for everyone. I loved Control and Alan Wake a whole lot.

I agree that the puzzles were uninteresting, though. The motel was a great setup but didn't reach it's full potential.

Back