CJ leaks benchmarks of 5870/5850 vs. 285/295

I can't decide if I want to CF two 5870s or just wait on the 5870X2. Any thoughts?

You should wait to see how the 5870x2 is priced... and by that time, there should be some discounts on the 5870, lol

Don't feel bad. nVidia has DX11 parts coming out too.

Hahaha, yeah this is what I got out of it too.

I definitely don't see how DX11 could be meaningless when 2 titles coming out this year will be using it (DiRT 2 and STALKER 3).

Hahaha, yeah this is what I got out of it too.

I definitely don't see how DX11 could be meaningless when 2 titles coming out this year will be using it (DiRT 2 and STALKER 3).

And that's just the announced ones...

(now if only Halo 3 came out...)

Tesselation (sp?) is DX11 only right ? There is an impressive demo of AvP3 using it... tho i don´t think it ll come out this year
DX11 definitely has me more psyched than DX10

I thought they would be better than this. Looking forward to more benchmarks. :)

And here I was, thinking my HD4870 would provide enough juice for another 2 years... when 5800 comes along and wipes the floor with it.

The funny thing is, you really don't need more than perhaps a GTX285 to max out any game, including Crysis, at 1920x1200 with 2x AA or less. At 1680x1050, even my HD4870 will do just fine. Honestly, how many people game at 2560x1600 with 8x AA? Just goes to show how important e-peen is these days... I guess Eyefinity will entice some users to get high-res, multi-display setups, but I still think it's better to get a single giant monitor.

Please, oh great seer of the future, with the ability to tell us all the meaningfulness of DX11 in the next year, please do tell me what I will have for breakfast tomorrow!

Scrambled Eggs on Toast, 1 Hash Brown and some Bacon........................................well that's if your mother and I get up early enough:D

but seriously these cards look awesome!...It's great to see ATI deliver a card that is truly well above the current Nvidia cards(except in Crysis etc)
I love the look of the HD5870 aswell,...finally an ATi card that doesn't look like #$@%
Whether Nvidia continue to effectively one-up ATI in the near future or not...the future looks bright.

Very good stuff. Are these cards still believed to be out Sept. 22?!?! No confirmed sources/dates yet?

Stolen from: http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/32575530#32575530

5850.png

5870.png

So... tempting... to get a 5870 crossfire setup... :eek: , can only imagine what one would do at 2560x1600 based off of these single-card benches!

dissapointing 5870 scores no?

I thought the 5870 would run Clear Sky better than that. 27fps @ 1920 with 4xAA. My 4890 will do the 1920x1200 but with no AA of course. Barely. Heck, I thought 4870X2 played the game fine. I wonder if that is with the SSAO and all the other options completely maxed.

It's not like I'm still playing Clear Sky but I am a Stalker fan and looking forward to Call of Pripyat.

no.. the single card is faster than a gtx 295

these cards rock my world.. I hope the other side brings something to the table to compete to bring prices down a bit.. but these cards are awesomeness

Though the numbers look good, I look forward to [H]ardOCP's review so that I can get a little more info on whats being presented here.

I would wait for an official review with the proper driver set for the cards before I'd be worrying about the low numbers in some games.

I don't trust these benches, no matter who is posting them. I'll wait for something a little more solid than jpegs. For all we know they could have been run with ideal hardware, at low image quality settings or certain functions disabled. Or never run at all.

I do find the numbers a tad "meh" - 2x GTX285s that cost me $550 total are still going to keep up with 2x5850s from what I see.

I thought the 5870 would run Clear Sky better than that. 27fps @ 1920 with 4xAA. My 4890 will do the 1920x1200 but with no AA of course. Barely. Heck, I thought 4870X2 played the game fine. I wonder if that is with the SSAO and all the other options completely maxed.

It's not like I'm still playing Clear Sky but I am a Stalker fan and looking forward to Call of Pripyat.

Those aren't bad numbers at all IF... and yes that's a big IF... if ambient occlusion is turned on.

Ambient Occlusion in Clear Sky is just a killer. I dropped ten frames just from turning that one feature on. Seriously, I went from about 30 FPS with everything maxed out (except Ambient Occlusion), down to about 20, just because of Ambient Occlusion. And what does it do? As far as I could tell it didn't do anything at all. Sure, maybe a screenshot might show the difference, but with the naked eye, I couldn't see it.

It certainly wasn't worth a ten FPS hit.

Nevertheless, it's great for benchmarking.

Those aren't bad numbers at all IF... and yes that's a big IF... if ambient occlusion is turned on.

Ambient Occlusion in Clear Sky is just a killer. I dropped ten frames just from turning that one feature on. Seriously, I went from about 30 FPS with everything maxed out, down to about 20, just because of Ambient Occlusion. And what does it do? As far as I could tell it didn't do anything at all. Sure, maybe a screenshot might show the difference, but with the naked eye, I couldn't see it.

It certainly wasn't worth a ten FPS hit.

Nevertheless, it's great for benchmarking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_occlusion

http://images.google.com/images?q=A...=&startPage=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=da&tab=wi

Wow, can you say, watercool 5870x2 FTW? Seriously, the 5870 is damn awesome. Finally, it's NEXT GEN, NOT REFRESH. Unfortunately the card does not meet the 60fps constant in crysis requirements. But we agreed in that thread that we will need to see a couple of generations of video cards before that happened.

But a 5870 out performing a gtx295 makes it well worth it IMO.

The Crysis scores are somewhat disappointing. Other than that, it looks good

Agree with you, guess i will keep my 4870 512mb for a while. It still runs games i play all the way up to 1920x1200, and Crysis was the game i hoped would run well on the next gen hardware.

Very impressive.
The mid-high 5850 is already beating GTX 285.
Add to that a cheaper price, lower power reqs, new features.
Not to mention premature drivers and OC potential on 40nm process.

nVidia looks like they're in trouble unless they have something in their hat.

Wow, can you say, watercool 5870x2 FTW? Seriously, the 5870 is damn awesome. Finally, it's NEXT GEN, NOT REFRESH. Unfortunately the card does not meet the 60fps constant in crysis requirements. But we agreed in that thread that we will need to see a couple of generations of video cards before that happened.

But a 5870 out performing a gtx295 makes it well worth it IMO.

60FPS in crysis...

Might be posstible on 2 5870 cards! (5870x2?).

And besides, I remeber Crysis is far more optimized for nVidia cards then ATi.
For ATi to just brute force their way to here, is awesome at the very least.

Back