Chimp Challenge 2009 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just glanced through the different ID's, and we've got a lot of work to do - there's a couple teams that appear to have pulled ahead of us by 300k.

That's great for them. The race doesn't start for another hour and a half. :D

My parts arrived early. Just built my first quad GPU box with 4 x GTX275 GPUs. Got it running right away and folding for [H]ardApe. Had to get out the hole saw and cut a couple of 3" holes in the bottom of the case for ventilation since the bottom card had zero clearance. The other three cards don't have much room between them either but hopefully it will be enough for them not to overheat.

My parts arrived early. Just built my first quad GPU box with 4 x GTX275 GPUs. Got it running right away and folding for [H]ardApe. Had to get out the hole saw and cut a couple of 3" holes in the bottom of the case for ventilation since the bottom card had zero clearance. The other three cards don't have much room between them either but hopefully it will be enough for them not to overheat.

Guess you won't be running this with a side panel for a while, huh? :D Rock those vidcards on for the [H]orde!!!

if they are using a standard cooling.. take a piece of paper.. fold it a crap load of times.. and stick it between the cards.. only need to seporate them a couple mm.. should help you get better airflow to them..

if they are using a standard cooling.. take a piece of paper.. fold it a crap load of times.. and stick it between the cards.. only need to seporate them a couple mm.. should help you get better airflow to them..

See, it's always about folding!

not standard cooling, I'm thinking these may have been a poor choice to build a quad gpu system from because of the cooling layout. MSI N275GTX TwinFrozr OC GeForce GTX 275

not standard cooling, I'm thinking these may have been a poor choice to build a quad gpu system from because of the cooling layout. MSI N275GTX TwinFrozr OC GeForce GTX 275

nah they arent bad.. but id still try the folded paper trick i was tellin ya about.. see if that helps.. or if there is even a small enough gap between the cards to keep the piece of paper there..

but ya know.. if you dont want one of those cards.. ill take one off your hands (for free of course :D)

Now that we're a fair set of hours into the CC, is anyone worried about barnettworks's +2 MILLION PpD?

Now that we're a fair set of hours into the CC, is anyone worried about barnettworks's +2 MILLION PpD?

it hasnt started yet.. doesnt start for a little over a half hour.. 12 pm PST..

and no im not worried.. because barnett has to change the login information on about 100+ computers.. :p and about 200+ clients..

it hasnt started yet.. doesnt start for a little over a half hour.. 12 pm PST..

and no im not worried.. because barnett has to change the login information on about 100+ computers.. :p and about 200+ clients..

lol, 12pm... not am. arg. s'okay though, I'm all locked and loaded then.

True, unless he's creates some batch file that can do all of that in a single click....:rolleyes: uh-oh

lol, 12pm... not am. arg. s'okay though, I'm all locked and loaded then.

True, unless he's creates some batch file that can do all of that in a single click....:rolleyes: uh-oh

doubt it since all the smp clients have to be restarted for it to take effect..

Less than 20 mins before the challenge start. Get your poo in gear and be ready !

nah they arent bad.. but id still try the folded paper trick i was tellin ya about.. see if that helps.. or if there is even a small enough gap between the cards to keep the piece of paper there..

but ya know.. if you dont want one of those cards.. ill take one off your hands (for free of course :D)

temp was getting up around 110c on the hotest of the GPUs and it hadn't even been running long yet. Strapped together 4 high rpm 80mm fans from an old server case and got them blowing on the cards, seems to be keeping it at manageable temps (below 80c). Now it sounds like a jet engine though.

Last edited:
Ahhhh the sound of a CC. Makes us all fold [H]ard some just more than others.

Fold on lassiterb, sounds like a nice new boxen.

temp was getting up around 110c on the hotest of the GPUs and it hadn't even been running long yet. Strapped together 4 high rpm 80mm fans from an old server case and got them blowing on the cards, seems to be keeping it at manageable temps (below 80c). Now it sounds like a jet engine though.

lol gotta find a way to get a gap between the cards then.. sounds like they are just sitting on top of each other..

After looking at the design of those cards, it's easy to see why they're getting so hot stacked on top of each other like that. I'm thinking the designer only intended for maybe two in an SLI config or something with some airspace between them. :eek: Only way I see four in a row would be to use the reference design that pushes air from the back of the card our the rear vent.

After looking at the design of those cards, it's easy to see why they're getting so hot stacked on top of each other like that. I'm thinking the designer only intended for maybe two in an SLI config or something with some airspace between them. :eek: Only way I see four in a row would be to use the reference design that pushes air from the back of the card our the rear vent.

My have to swap 4 of my 260s into the quad setup and split the 275s between two of my dual gpu rigs.

Not sure how long the chimp challenge will go but for the short term you could just keep the case covers off and have a decent sized fan (house fan not case fan) blowing onto the mobo/graphics cards.

First casualty of Chimp Challenge 2009, one of my brand new GTX275s that I just got today just bit the dust. :( Guess Its RMA time.

I had a major family emergency last night. I had planned to switch everything over prior to going to work. Because of the emergency, I was 2 hours late to work and nothing got switched over. I will get switched over when I get back home in a couple of hours. I am very sorry to disappoint, but my wife comes first :(

I had a major family emergency last night. I had planned to switch everything over prior to going to work. Because of the emergency, I was 2 hours late to work and nothing got switched over. I will get switched over when I get back home in a couple of hours. I am very sorry to disappoint, but my wife comes first :(

Don't worry, family always comes first. I hope everything is ok.

Everything is ok (finally), but only got 2 hours of sleep prior to having to do 8 hours of very boring software training. At least I can provide help here as I can. I've been able to switch one machine over via logmein.com, but I hadn't had a chance to set it up on the other boxes.

Not to be a downer but we ain't off to the greatest start. Come of yall get off yer butts and get it in gear.

From EOC stats

[H]ardApe
05.05, 3pm 166,088

EVGApes
05.05, 3pm 770,966

maximum_monkey
05.05, 3pm 258,845

OCNChimpin
05.05, 3pm 988,637

Monkey_Bollocks
05.05, 3pm 148,808

T32Monkeys
05.05, 3pm 225,389

Last edited:

Holy crappola brother capreppy :eek: You are 100% right the family ALWAYS comes first. I sincerely hope everything is copacetic with your better half. :)

I think most of us would have been way more disappointed if you hadn't taken care of your wife first :D

DCing for the CURE

Ummm, wow...just wow...:( Lassiter, sorry to hear about that 275 biting the dust. Sucks that it didn't hold out to long, but I guess it's better to know now while it's still fresh for RMA than right after the warrenty was up.

Capreppy - family first man. Anything else is trivial and can always wait. We're just glad you can come to the party.....

Don't let the initial stats worry you guys - we're still gonna push for all it's worth and make the most of it.....:cool:

Dang I done forgot to rename my user to [H]ardApe. Better do it when I get home from work. (sound of head hitting wall) :confused:

Last edited:
6th place [H]orde?

wow...... this is bad

Get it in gear guys!!!

Double check your User names.
Somebody's got a [H]ardeApe doing work ....... :eek:
8,000 Points and counting ....... :(

Luck ............ :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back