Catalyst 10.9 Out and Now Available Through Steam

Any word on if these fix the HDTV scaling and CFX color saturation bugs from 10.7 and 10.8? I'm getting awfully sick of 10.5a and it's busted multi-channel HDMI audio.

Appreciate your response although I read the release notes and meant more that I was looking forward to hearing how well the drivers live up to their promise.

There will always be complaints.

Hmm just read patch notes, scaling is still apparently busted. No word on the color issues, I'm so shelving these things once Fermi no longer set's my house on fire.

damn i just pulled the trigger on another 5850....crap crap crap, damn drivers

Any word on if these fix the HDTV scaling and CFX color saturation bugs from 10.7 and 10.8? I'm getting awfully sick of 10.5a and it's busted multi-channel HDMI audio.
They don't, that fix is due 10.10, in regards of scaling (not sure about the color sat). I just read something about people saying the 10.9a hotfix fixes the HDMI overscan/underscan issue, vsync in q3 engine games and popcap game issues, link is at the bottom of this post. Maybe try your luck with those.

And my joke was just that, not pro green or red. It's just hard doing a similar joke for Nvidia, they don't have a cycle like this and can't mess up as often.

And the 10.9a hotfix is already out.
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst109Hotfix.aspx

Last edited:
After the Steam install I got the drivers not compatible with CCC issue. So as usually I went with the uninstall drivers then driver cleaner/sweeper in safe mode method.

I don't see an option in SC2 to enable AA. CCC 10.9a, twin HD5870s.

Maybe my game client is not updated?

I won't use this service but it is an option for a lot of people who find it difficult to go to AMD's website. Options are usually good to have.

I don't see an option in SC2 to enable AA. CCC 10.9a, twin HD5870s.

Maybe my game client is not updated?

That's because that option doesn't exist in the game. :) Try enabling the antialiasing from the Catalyst Control Center and then enter the game. Hopefully, that works. I'll be able to try later in the evening and will post my results later tonight.

That's because that option doesn't exist in the game. :) Try enabling the antialiasing from the Catalyst Control Center and then enter the game. Hopefully, that works. I'll be able to try later in the evening and will post my results later tonight.

Ah, the wording of the release notes got my hopes up, lol... :p

Thank you :)

I just read something about people saying the 10.9a hotfix fixes the HDMI overscan/underscan issue

I think it does. I output via HDMI adapter to a TV, and whenever I would change drivers, the overscan would reset back to 15% below full size. Installing 10.9a gave me a full-scan desktop right from the start, no adjustment needed.

I think it does. I output via HDMI adapter to a TV, and whenever I would change drivers, the overscan would reset back to 15% below full size. Installing 10.9a gave me a full-scan desktop right from the start, no adjustment needed.

Mate I'm at the office at the moment I don't support your running crossfire and can test the saturation flickering out on 10.9a?

Mate I'm at the office at the moment I don't support your running crossfire and can test the saturation flickering out on 10.9a?

I don’t know what problem you’re asking me to test, since I haven’t noticed any color saturation or flickering problems. My colors look the same as they always have.

I don’t know what problem you’re asking me to test, since I haven’t noticed any color saturation or flickering problems. My colors look the same as they always have.

Theres an issue that popped up in the 10.7 and 10.8 releases in which changes made to the color saturation using the slider in CCC was not being applied across both cards when running crossfire. This results in a range of color related issues when in game, the issue isn't visible in 2D applications. For instance Starcraft 2 will flicker between the standard color value and the modified color value every alternating frame. In Metro 2033 the red and blue color ranges go crazy and flicker wildly. I am unsure if this is an issue on dual GPU cards though. The issue effects anyone using a "dumb display" panel where the saturation adjustments in the driver is used to increase on screen color values.

Theres also a problem with BGR display detection, but thats been around for longer than 10.7 and 10.8.

Theres an issue that popped up in the 10.7 and 10.8 releases in which changes made to the color saturation using the slider in CCC was not being applied across both cards when running crossfire. This results in a range of color related issues when in game, the issue isn't visible in 2D applications. For instance Starcraft 2 will flicker between the standard color value and the modified color value every alternating frame. In Metro 2033 the red and blue color ranges go crazy and flicker wildly. I am unsure if this is an issue on dual GPU cards though. The issue effects anyone using a "dumb display" panel where the saturation adjustments in the driver is used to increase on screen color values.

Theres also a problem with BGR display detection, but thats been around for longer than 10.7 and 10.8.

I’m probably not the best person to test out those bugs, then. Hopefully someone will report back on those, but I haven’t observed them. Then again, I don’t mess with the color options in the CCC. I use a display profile and adjust my TV.

Ok, crossfire still does not work for Starcraft 2. Freaking garbage! :mad:
Antialiasing does work, though, and does make the game look nicer. But I want a framerate increase! I don't care about antialiasing.....grrrrr. :mad:

Ok, crossfire still does not work for Starcraft 2. Freaking garbage! :mad:
Antialiasing does work, though, and does make the game look nicer. But I want a framerate increase! I don't care about antialiasing.....grrrrr. :mad:

OH F ME! my 5850 comes in the mail on friday and I bought it thinking SC2 would see an improvement. Damn.

glad I waited on getting that 2nd 5850...still pretty neat that they are updating over steam

On my secondary rig with a 4870 it gave install errors, failed and I had to remove everything and start fresh. It could be that I was running 10.4's but I don't know. Serves me right for clicking a day1 release ;)

On my secondary rig with a 4870 it gave install errors, failed and I had to remove everything and start fresh. It could be that I was running 10.4's but I don't know. Serves me right for clicking a day1 release ;)

installed from 10.8 to 10.9 without issue for me, using a 4870-512mb

Known Issues Under the Windows 7 Operating System
- Secondary (Slave) GPU and Memory Clock values might fail to increase when D3D samples/games are running in full screen mode
I wonder if this means that CrossFireX might be crippled with D3D games running full screen because secondary GPU is running on 2D clocks? I hope that "samples/games" is only referring to their own technology demos and not to games in general.

I wonder if this means that CrossFireX might be crippled with D3D games running full screen because secondary GPU is running on 2D clocks? I hope that "samples/games" is only referring to their own technology demos and not to games in general.

They released 10.8b last week - too late to make it into a WHQL validated driver for this month. As a result, 10.9a is already out.

OH F ME! my 5850 comes in the mail on friday and I bought it thinking SC2 would see an improvement. Damn.

I don't think it is either ati or nvidia issue, Starcraft just doesn't take advantage of crossfire or sli. It is highly optimized game for single cards if you have a mid to highend card it should run fairley well.

I think I will wait for Kyles review of it's performance before I install it. I am hoping that a lot of issues are fixed for XP 64bit & Crossfire.

I downloaded and installed these manually rather than wait for them to appear on Steam. I had some initial CrossFireX issues with games like Mafia II and Assassin's Creed II not working with it but an uninstall/reinstall fixed that.

Almost everything seems fine from the few games I've tested and much as before with the 10.8 drivers (unsurprisingly). It was nice though to see Kane & Lynch 2 working properly with CrossFireX at last (even if the game itself isn't that great).

I was disappointed, however, to see that the Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands CrossFireX issue has STILL not been addressed despite me reporting this issue via the Catalyst Feedback Form at least THREE times over the past FOUR months. Whenever the prince dies and you resume from the last checkpoint the game's framerate literally halves and the only way to fix it is to Alt-Tab to the desktop and back. At the very least I would have expected ATI/AMD to have disabled CrossFireX (as they did with the Blur water slowdown bug) as that also fixes it but they haven't even bothered with that.

I think it is unacceptable personally as I have to continually mess around enabling and disabling CrossFireX depending on what game I'm playing because the horrible profiles the CCC uses are not automated like NVIDIA's are.

Ok blew all my existing stuff away and scrubbed it clean. 10.9a resolves the scaling issue, however the god damn color flickering is still present when crossfire kicks in.

Still most visible in Metro and Starcraft, especially on the 2D elements such as the HUD and cinematics, also quite prominent on the Borderlands loading screens. I reported this stuff via the feedback when 10.7 launched and I talked about it in the 10.8 cap thread where Catalyst Maker was reviewing the comments. I'm really getting tired of these shonky ass drivers. Is it to much to ask for the cards which I paid $1300 for (Aussie pricing is jacked) to work as advertised?

AMD really need to stop with this 3-4 week release schedule business there clearly just isnt enough time to get all the issues worked out properly. Extend it to 8-10 weeks or something and do some real QA for once.

(EDIT: Mirrors Edge is another good example)

Last edited:
I completely agree with you, Kor, that ATI/AMD need to abandon the monthly drivers updates and instead focus on releasing drivers only when they're ready, perhaps releasing the odd beta/preview driver inbetween like NVIDIA do. They can use the Catalyst Application Profiles to add support for new games and improve support for existing ones; that is what I thought they were for!

I feel that these monthly WHQLed drivers are like a noose around ATI/AMD's neck because they HAVE to complete them and submit them to Microsoft for certification to make the end of the next month. That must put a tremendous amount of pressure on the driver team and it is no wonder that stuff gets broken and issues remain unresolved month after month. My guess is this is why NVIDIA don't have a strict monthly driver policy and it shows as their drivers are, IMHO as a long-time user of their graphics cards, far better with fewer issues. They can just refer to the drivers by version, e.g. this month's are v8.771 (or whatever they are).

Contrary to CatalystMaker's tweet - the hotfix solves the scaling problem. I'm happy enough about that.

so i should get 10.9a and will have sorta working xfire? where did you hear this?

I completely agree with you, Kor, that ATI/AMD need to abandon the monthly drivers updates and instead focus on releasing drivers only when they're ready, perhaps releasing the odd beta/preview driver inbetween like NVIDIA do. They can use the Catalyst Application Profiles to add support for new games and improve support for existing ones; that is what I thought they were for!

I feel that these monthly WHQLed drivers are like a noose around ATI/AMD's neck because they HAVE to complete them and submit them to Microsoft for certification to make the end of the next month. That must put a tremendous amount of pressure on the driver team and it is no wonder that stuff gets broken and issues remain unresolved month after month. My guess is this is why NVIDIA don't have a strict monthly driver policy and it shows as their drivers are, IMHO as a long-time user of their graphics cards, far better with fewer issues. They can just refer to the drivers by version, e.g. this month's are v8.771 (or whatever they are).

So those who get fixes they are looking for when a dirver is available should just go fuck themselves and wait until you get the fixes you are looking for? Even if it is only a few fixes per month I think that is still better than a lot of them every 4 or 5 months like it used to be.

The one thing AMD should have waited on is Crossfire as they still dont seem to have it working right. Nvidia has shown AMD what multiple card performance scaling should be like and right now I have no faith that AMD can catch up. When Fermi hit adding a second card provided an actual visible difference versus a couple of fps in Crossfire.

yes, I tried BFBC2. The black lines and flickering stopped for the 45 minutes I spent playing it. Frame rates went up a little. I can't comment on loading times, I have the game on my ssd, and it always loads pretty fast. So far, this driver looks like a keeper, but I have not tried all my games yet. I gained 200 points on my Vantage score, Crysis and Warhead benched ok, up a couple of fps.

They released 10.8b last week - too late to make it into a WHQL validated driver for this month. As a result, 10.9a is already out.

The problem with that though is 10.8b fixed the 2nd GPU issue on the 4870x2, 10.9a however brings that same problem back and doesn't fix the issue at all. DX9 you'll see it increase, DX10 it stays at 2d clock values.

From and end users point of view it just seems like they haven't honestly tested whatever it is they fixed and that they slapped the same fix they had used in 10.8b in to 10.9a hoping that it would actually work properly. This is why people are frustrated because of regression like this.

Honestly I'm of the mindset of a lot of others that AMD should look at scaling back release times on their drivers and go to a more regular CAP release to help do tweaks for games / new games. It pays off in a few ways 1) You continue to provide a regular release for customers supporting new games and tweaking old to provide better settings 2) You will drastically improve your QA testing of new driver cycles since you'll have reasonable time with the drivers to work through the bugs you run in to and if you're looking for a wider test audience you will find people who are eager to test out beta drivers and provide feedback.

Back