Catalyst 10.9 Out and Now Available Through Steam

The problem with that though is 10.8b fixed the 2nd GPU issue on the 4870x2, 10.9a however brings that same problem back and doesn't fix the issue at all. DX9 you'll see it increase, DX10 it stays at 2d clock values.

From and end users point of view it just seems like they haven't honestly tested whatever it is they fixed and that they slapped the same fix they had used in 10.8b in to 10.9a hoping that it would actually work properly. This is why people are frustrated because of regression like this.

Honestly I'm of the mindset of a lot of others that AMD should look at scaling back release times on their drivers and go to a more regular CAP release to help do tweaks for games / new games. It pays off in a few ways 1) You continue to provide a regular release for customers supporting new games and tweaking old to provide better settings 2) You will drastically improve your QA testing of new driver cycles since you'll have reasonable time with the drivers to work through the bugs you run in to and if you're looking for a wider test audience you will find people who are eager to test out beta drivers and provide feedback.

I was unaware that 10.8b fixed BFBC2 with the 4xxx series. I will have to give it a try.

What about Crossfire and BC2 with this driver set? Stay with 10.5a with 10.9 CAP or is it safe to upgrade to 10.9 drivers as well? Don't play SC2 at all.

I was unaware that 10.8b fixed BFBC2 with the 4xxx series. I will have to give it a try.

I'm not sure about BFBC2 because I didn't play that one directly, however all the games I did play worked fine which was World of Tanks, Metro 2033, Bioshock 1 and 2, WoW, L4D2, Alien Swarm and I can't remember what else I've played since then.

still have not fixed the mouse cursor corruption... this is getting old.

What? That was fixed MONTHS ago. Seriously. I had the problem myself on a 5850 and haven't seen it in forever. Something else has got to be wrong with your installation or card. I recommend using a driver cleaner of sorts then reinstalling a newish driver set.

Edit:

Have they fixed the idle clocks with overdrive enabled bug yet?

Last edited:
On my HD5970 I have 10.5 drivers + 10.5 CrossfireX Profiles, those are the ones that work best for me in Bad Company 2 (10.8 would crash to desktop every 5-20 minutes...).

Do you guys recommend me going for 10.9?

So those who get fixes they are looking for when a dirver is available should just go fuck themselves and wait until you get the fixes you are looking for? Even if it is only a few fixes per month I think that is still better than a lot of them every 4 or 5 months like it used to be.

Not at all, they simply shouldn't keep shoving out drivers on such a short time frame without having enough time to properly test them to make sure nothing new breaks. Theres nothing wrong with occasionally releasing preview driver builds in the form of non WHQL beta packages to supply immediate fixes to issues. But they really need time to develop proper functioning releases, instead of chasing their tails for 3-4 driver releases trying to restore functionality that was once there but was broken due to funky code.

What about Crossfire and BC2 with this driver set? Stay with 10.5a with 10.9 CAP or is it safe to upgrade to 10.9 drivers as well? Don't play SC2 at all.
I purchased a 4GB Sapphire Radeon 5970 yesterday and first tried the 10.9a hotfix with 10.9 CFX profile. I can confirm that with these latest drivers crossfire is broken in BC2. Each GPU is only being used 30 to 40% and the fps about half of what one GPU produces (my single 5870 performs a lot better and when I disabled catalyst AI with the 5970 one GPU would max out and the game would run a lot faster). I experienced this both with single screen and in eyefinity.

Thankfully some in this thread mentioned 10.5a so I gave them a go and wow - properly functioning crossfire in BC2. Each GPU is now used a lot more and the game runs smooth and actually feels stutter free (I had a bad experience trying crossfire eyefinity 6 months ago, BC2 and other intensive games were a stuttery mess).

It's amazing how AMD broke crossfire support for a popular game 4 months ago and still have not fixed it! I agree with what some others have said in that AMD should ditch their monthly driver release promise and just release drivers when they're ready. Their driver team clearly isn't resourced enough to keep up with their 5 year old driver release policy anymore, especially with the numerous configurations they have to test now.

Wait so are the 10.5s with ai off the best way to go for xfire?

Turning off AI is never good for Crossfire. However 10.5a are still the best ones to date, so long as your not concerned with HDMI connectivity for audio.

I'm not sure about BFBC2 because I didn't play that one directly, however all the games I did play worked fine which was World of Tanks, Metro 2033, Bioshock 1 and 2, WoW, L4D2, Alien Swarm and I can't remember what else I've played since then.

I think I'll stay with 10.5a for now since I play BFBC2 all the time. Here's hoping they fix the problem one day.:rolleyes:

What? That was fixed MONTHS ago. Seriously. I had the problem myself on a 5850 and haven't seen it in forever. Something else has got to be wrong with your installation or card. I recommend using a driver cleaner of sorts then reinstalling a newish driver set.

Edit:

Have they fixed the idle clocks with overdrive enabled bug yet?

They haven't fixed the corrupted mouse cursor yet I had it not that long ago.

Nope you definitely want AI enabled so that both GPUs will be used for xfire (disabling AI effectively disables crossfire). I mentioned AI disabled in my prior post because I did that during my testing of the latest 10.9 hotfix driver.

Stupid question: I've installed previous hotfixes over the original version of the driver. Is that the best/only way, or can you just shortcut it and install the hotfix driver without the original version. For example, just install 10.9a without installing 10.9 first.

The hotfix is a complete install and you can install it clean, or over top of another driver. I personally install everything clean and spend the extra 5 minutes it takes to do that. The hotfix includes more than just the drivers which is why there's a file size difference, it also includes Avio, Hydravision etc (basically the entire package instead of being broken down in their main release).

The hotfix is a complete install and you can install it clean, or over top of another driver. I personally install everything clean and spend the extra 5 minutes it takes to do that. The hotfix includes more than just the drivers which is why there's a file size difference, it also includes Avio, Hydravision etc (basically the entire package instead of being broken down in their main release).

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured...

How about that. They fixed my Pop Cap Bookworm bug:

ATI Catalyst 10.9a Hotfix Feature:

■ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2 and ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 series of products use both Graphics Processing Units (GPU) for high performance
■Intermittent hangs with Pop Cap games in a system with an ATI Radeon series graphics card installed
■High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) overscan / underscan settings are restored upon system reboot

WARNING: Got a weird vertical lines across the screen audio stuck total lock up playing BFBC2. it happened 15 minutes in. Never had THIS particular issue before.

FFS ATI COME ON. Going back to the drivers that still work. Jesus.

WARNING: Got a weird vertical lines across the screen audio stuck total lock up playing BFBC2. it happened 15 minutes in. Never had THIS particular issue before.

FFS ATI COME ON. Going back to the drivers that still work. Jesus.

Is everyone that owns this game and an ATI card having that same issue? I wouldn't say the drivers are broke if you are the only one or a very tiny fraction of owners that experince that problem.

Ok tried these as well as teh 10.9a drivers. 5870 2 of them in crossfire. BFBC2 still has horrid performance of 10.6 on forward. Nothing has been fixed. Random black screens while playing also and a couple of crash to desktop.

You can see by the lack of support for 5xxx series as well as 4xxx now, that ATI is heavily focused on the drivers for the release in the near future of the 6xxx series.

I was hoping for a lot more in these drivers, CatalystMaker.

Ok tried these as well as teh 10.9a drivers. 5870 2 of them in crossfire. BFBC2 still has horrid performance of 10.6 on forward. Nothing has been fixed. Random black screens while playing also and a couple of crash to desktop.

You can see by the lack of support for 5xxx series as well as 4xxx now, that ATI is heavily focused on the drivers for the release in the near future of the 6xxx series.

I was hoping for a lot more in these drivers, CatalystMaker.

Same here. :mad:

Is everyone that owns this game and an ATI card having that same issue? I wouldn't say the drivers are broke if you are the only one or a very tiny fraction of owners that experince that problem.

Not a tiny fraction. The drivers most people use for BC2 are the 10.5A. I have had issues with every driver since that one. Wish it was otherwise. ATI is fucking up. No other way to say it.

Let's try not to slam the driver and just give some feedback to help with the next build for CatMaker. .

I have only tested Vantage so far and i did see a 800+ gpu score and plus 2-3 fps in both test ..

http://service.futuremark.com/resultComparison.action?compareResultId=2529223&compareResultType=19

I only tried BC 2 once and after afew mins of the game .. it decided to close out and i was looking at the desktop with no errors or crash reports..

It decided or I decided? Did you crash?

I could have a crappy 5870 too. It will not OC at all with MSI afterburner. Not overheating just no likey extra speed.

My issue is that every ati driver release has had serious stability problems. Especially with BFBC2. Granted, it could just as easily be Dices fault too. However, I just do not see these types of issues on the Green side.

Since I have a 4870x2, I definitely need 10.9a from the looks of it. (using 10.8 now). Is the 10.9a hotfix a true self contained "full" driver package, or do I need to install 10.9 by itself and then 10.9a? The hotfix is 116mb, larger than the 72mb driver package, but I guess it could be multilanguage...

10.9A. I have seen people install 10.5 then the 10.9 app profile. I think you can download that separate on the amd site. Check guru3d for more info.

If you're using a 4870x2 the best drivers out for them right now are 10.5a or 10.8b, 10.9a still has issues with the 2nd GPU. If you don't need the new features or fixes that have been introduced in the past few patches (Flash GPU acceleration, VLC GPU acceleration, OpenCL to name a couple, SC 2 or other game improvements and you don't play BFBC2) then I'd honestly say stick with 10.5a.

I'd still be using 10.8b but because most of the games I play were using hardware cursor support and 10.8b having issues with that I pushed up to 10.9a and am eating the bullet on the 2nd GPU issues because of some of the feature sets I want and am just manually OCing the GPUs to push the right clock values because I want some of the newer features that aren't offered in 10.5a.

As for the patch, just download the hotfix it's a full install on it's own and is larger because it includes Avio, Hydravision etc instead of breaking it down to sub packages like they do on the main release.

Ouch, there are still issues in 10.9a with 2nd GPU? I thought the notes specifically said they'd be fixed. Sigh. Thanks for the information though. When there's 2nd GPU issues, does it not show up in the hardware field of CCC? Or is it something less noticeable? I've seen people say that with 10.7/10.8 etc.. only one of their 2 GPUs showed up at all, but mine always have done so...

I'm curious as to what kind of power supplies the guys who are having problems are running? Power fluctuations can cause instability especially when running Crossfire.

Ok so for 4870X2 and 5970 it is 10.5 + 10.8b app looks like. This is why I run single cards. Even so, still got issues. Nvidia just got their BFBC2 drivers right finally. 10.5A works good for me so whatever I guess. PC gaming in general has become a pita. Almost like they are trying to get us away from the computer and do something productive.

Last edited:
so i just got my second 5850, so what driver install path should I go? should I just go 10.9a?

I'm curious as to what kind of power supplies the guys who are having problems are running? Power fluctuations can cause instability especially when running Crossfire.

850w Antec PSU (Earthwatts I think is the branding they use for it? or maybe that was just their branding for the 500w one I had) solid PSU and more than enough power.

Xaeos - my issues is just what I've noticed when running several apps like GPUZ, GPU Observer, Afterburner, and the CCC Panel. I've seen it clock up properly, not clock up properly, and not clock down properly though that's been really rare for me, usually it's not clocking up properly in dx10 games for me, but clocking up properly in dx9 games. 10.8b I didn't experience those problems, but I did have hardware cursor issues. Again, my big issue is I want some of the new feature sets added (GPU Flash, VLC, OpenCL and the likes) so that's the only reason why I pushed up to these releases

Last edited:
Finally a new, decent driver revision!! (10.9a)

No problems so far....

I guess this is goodbye to my trusty 10.4's....

I am having flickering black screen issues and crashing in BFBC2 since updating my drivers. Fuckin eh.

TF2 seems fine, its only in BFBC2

I redid a clean install of 10.9A and it seems to be working ok now for bfbc2. Terrible lag but I am pretty sure it is server side b/c everyone was bitching in every server tonight. So a single 5870 is ok.

Just run driver sweeper, reboot and then CCleaner, reboot then install the drivers.

Back