Catalyst 10.9 Out and Now Available Through Steam

It decided or I decided? Did you crash?

It decided.. but after rebooting from profile install it has ran great and i play at 1920 x1080 with every set to high with 4xAA and 16xAF with HSAO enabled.. FPS99 shows most MP maps from 75-150fps and plays pretty smooth.

I started getting "DisplayPort Link Failure" errors for the first time EVER after updating to these drivers.

Back to 10.4a I go...maybe ATi will get it right one of these days/months/years

The whole way ati drivers are packaged and maintained make me want to jumpnto the green team.

Back to 10.4a I go...maybe ATi will get it right one of these days/months/years
Yeah, that might be nice. Though so far 10.8 has been fairly good to me. Still the occasional issue with the display not working after coming out of sleep, so I quit putting the machine to sleep.

Oh, the hoops one has to jump through when buying an AMD card...

hey guys,

i am using 10.9 with 10.9 CAP. i got a dual 5970 setup. I had random crashes in Bad Company 2 playing in 5970 x 1080p everything on max, 1xAA and 1xAA HBAO off Vsync off. I set my overclock on my Phenom 965 back to stock I was running it at 3.7 GHZ now its back to 3.4 and I notice that the gameplay is smoother and no crashes. I will try it again tomorrow. I played for about 30 mins

oh and also for SC2 i ran it at 1920 x 1080 everything maxed out no AA. played the last level char with ez i didn't notice any lag or delay.

Has anyone noticed a dramatic decrease in frame rates in WoW going from 10.8 > 10.9? Fresh install of windows 7 and installed 10.9 and wow feels like shit now. Running on a 5870 @ 1920 X1080 Ultra Settings. I am averaging ~35FPS where as before on 10.8's I must have been at least high 50's as I never noticed a slowdown at all....

bah, tried 10.9a and still get the same problem in bc2 where the game just closes. i tried to roll back to 10.5a, and now my system is in shambles :mad:

need to play around with driver sweeper in safe mode and uninstall video cards and try to re-install 10.5a, system restore did not work either:(

oh and also for SC2 i ran it at 1920 x 1080 everything maxed out no AA. played the last level char with ez i didn't notice any lag or delay.

are you using 10.9 or 10.9a with or without the app profiles?

I completely agree with you, Kor, that ATI/AMD need to abandon the monthly drivers updates and instead focus on releasing drivers only when they're ready, perhaps releasing the odd beta/preview driver inbetween like NVIDIA do. They can use the Catalyst Application Profiles to add support for new games and improve support for existing ones; that is what I thought they were for!

I feel that these monthly WHQLed drivers are like a noose around ATI/AMD's neck because they HAVE to complete them and submit them to Microsoft for certification to make the end of the next month. That must put a tremendous amount of pressure on the driver team and it is no wonder that stuff gets broken and issues remain unresolved month after month. My guess is this is why NVIDIA don't have a strict monthly driver policy and it shows as their drivers are, IMHO as a long-time user of their graphics cards, far better with fewer issues. They can just refer to the drivers by version, e.g. this month's are v8.771 (or whatever they are).
You dont know the history here, do you? ATI used to put out drivers only every 3 or four months, way back in the day. But that wasnt enough for the user here and elsewhere, they bitched and complained for YEARS about that, until ATI at the decided to start doing it the way they do it now. But now, YEARS later, noobs who decide to jump into conversations with their limited knowledge of the history of ATI and computing in general give out their opinions that they should do it the old way.

You will never be happy either way, so just be happy they update them at all and dont just make it the responsibility of the game makers to make fixes for their games instead of going to the trouble of modifying their drivers to fit software.

You dont know the history here, do you? ATI used to put out drivers only every 3 or four months, way back in the day. But that wasnt enough for the user here and elsewhere, they bitched and complained for YEARS about that, until ATI at the decided to start doing it the way they do it now. But now, YEARS later, noobs who decide to jump into conversations with their limited knowledge of the history of ATI and computing in general give out their opinions that they should do it the old way.

You will never be happy either way, so just be happy they update them at all and dont just make it the responsibility of the game makers to make fixes for their games instead of going to the trouble of modifying their drivers to fit software.

You seem to be under the impression that this is my first rodeo. I'm well aware of the history behind the ATI driver release schedule. I'm simply implying that the new one is just as if not more ineffective. Heck the thing's I'm complaining about here aren't even game related, they basic usability issues (Colour saturation adjustment in crossfire, bad HDMI audio, scaling problems, CCC forgetting settings after runtime restarts). The current monthly cycle really just doesn't seem to be enough time to produce quality software. I’m pretty sure a lot of these basic functionality issues wouldn’t be anywhere near as much as a problem if there was adequate time to perform more extensive in house testing, and collect feedback and take action from public beta testers before a production release.

During the 6 years I was using NVIDIA cards after my 9800 Pro (the last ATI purchase I made prior to the 5870’s I’m using) I never encountered anywhere near the number of problems I’ve seen in the last 6 months since I picked up my current configuration. This I can only attribute to the release schedule used by NVIDIA (it’s either that or simple lack of development expertise on AMD’s side). Their Production/Beta driver schedule really does seem to cover the right amount of space between lengthy waits and addressing immediate issues, without introducing endless series of new problems (or bringing back old ones). Although I must admit that whole fan speed fault a few months ago was rather alarming.

I'm not calling for a 16 week cycle, just something somewhere in the middle to aid quality control to stamp out these bugs before they're unleashed on the general public.

Sloppy PC porting is another matter entirely and is completely the responsibility of the game developer.

fwiw i cant get working CF in unigine benchmark or SC2 at all.

850w Antec PSU (Earthwatts I think is the branding they use for it? or maybe that was just their branding for the 500w one I had) solid PSU and more than enough power.

Xaeos - my issues is just what I've noticed when running several apps like GPUZ, GPU Observer, Afterburner, and the CCC Panel. I've seen it clock up properly, not clock up properly, and not clock down properly though that's been really rare for me, usually it's not clocking up properly in dx10 games for me, but clocking up properly in dx9 games. 10.8b I didn't experience those problems, but I did have hardware cursor issues. Again, my big issue is I want some of the new feature sets added (GPU Flash, VLC, OpenCL and the likes) so that's the only reason why I pushed up to these releases

I've seen a lot of driver related problems go away when most of those apps are turned off. I try to only run one monitoring app at a time (Afterburner right now). It's worth a shot!

You seem to be under the impression that this is my first rodeo. I'm well aware of the history behind the ATI driver release schedule. I'm simply implying that the new one is just as if not more ineffective. Heck the thing's I'm complaining about here aren't even game related, they basic usability issues (Colour saturation adjustment in crossfire, bad HDMI audio, scaling problems, CCC forgetting settings after runtime restarts). The current monthly cycle really just doesn't seem to be enough time to produce quality software. I’m pretty sure a lot of these basic functionality issues wouldn’t be anywhere near as much as a problem if there was adequate time to perform more extensive in house testing, and collect feedback and take action from public beta testers before a production release.

During the 6 years I was using NVIDIA cards after my 9800 Pro (the last ATI purchase I made prior to the 5870’s I’m using) I never encountered anywhere near the number of problems I’ve seen in the last 6 months since I picked up my current configuration. This I can only attribute to the release schedule used by NVIDIA (it’s either that or simple lack of development expertise on AMD’s side). Their Production/Beta driver schedule really does seem to cover the right amount of space between lengthy waits and addressing immediate issues, without introducing endless series of new problems (or bringing back old ones). Although I must admit that whole fan speed fault a few months ago was rather alarming.

I'm not calling for a 16 week cycle, just something somewhere in the middle to aid quality control to stamp out these bugs before they're unleashed on the general public.

Sloppy PC porting is another matter entirely and is completely the responsibility of the game developer.
And I and the vast majority of ATI users havent experienced any of those problems, which leads me to believe its something to do with your setup and not the drivers. Perhaps you should follow up on that some..

And, face it, your a Nvidia fanboy. Nothing wrong with that, but they have just as many problems with their drivers as ATI appears to have. And you only see people on here who are complaining, the vast majority of people who use ATI are out playing their games because their stuff works right.

Bet your overclocking too, arent you?

@chameleoki: in what games? are you using the app profile?

@chameleoki: in what games? are you using the app profile?

If you mean the Application Profiles then yes. In the games so far tested: Dirt2, F1 2010, Race On, NFS: Shift and Dragon Age. (Can you tell I like racing?) Haven't loaded up my FPS's yet.

If you mean the Application Profiles then yes. In the games so far tested: Dirt2, F1 2010, Race On, NFS: Shift and Dragon Age. (Can you tell I like racing?) Haven't loaded up my FPS's yet.

How do you like F1 2010 - thinking about buying it...

Do you have grid? If so could you see if that works? I like racing and FPS and some RTS games.

And I and the vast majority of ATI users havent experienced any of those problems, which leads me to believe its something to do with your setup and not the drivers. Perhaps you should follow up on that some..

And, face it, your a Nvidia fanboy. Nothing wrong with that, but they have just as many problems with their drivers as ATI appears to have. And you only see people on here who are complaining, the vast majority of people who use ATI are out playing their games because their stuff works right.

Bet your overclocking too, arent you?

The majority of ATI users aren't running crossfire (you're not). Any yeah, my setup is a little less common than a standard desk configuration. I'm currently plugged into a 55" TV and a fairly reasonable audio setup. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has some of these issues, the scaling problem present in the last 2 driver releases is a fairly obvious example.

I'm not screaming for the death of ATI like some rabid NVIDIA fan boy, hell theres a very obvious reason why I didn't buy SLI'd 480's. I'm asking for ATI to raise the level of quality control on their software, that's hardly an absurd request.

Also, of course I'm over clocked. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't.

Last edited:
For 5850 users on Win7 64bit, the 10.9whql drivers seem to work better with BC2 than the 10.9a's.

Just a heads up, hopefully save some of you some headaches etc.

One thing that baffles me is why 10.9a (and basically every other hotfix) is so hidden or hard to find on their site. What's even worse is that the drivers page still shows the ME2 hotfix from almost 2 years ago.

Can anyone here confirm if they fixed OpenGL or not? I went back to 10.4 before testing that particular aspect of the new drivers. Getting DisplayPort Link Failure errors (which I've never had before) due to the new drivers pissed me off to the point that I didn't want to deal with them further.

I did test Flash, though. My video RAM still downclocks from 1000MHz to 900MHz when I play a flash video (or play a video with any DXVA codec), which causes my secondary monitors to flicker. I can't believe this is STILL an issue...

I updated to the 10.9's from Steam and used them about a week. Everything worked great except BF: BC2 crashes to desktop about 2 minutes into any server I join. I reinstalled several times (and reinstalled Win7 in an unrelated event) and it still kept happening. I went back to 10.8 and the issue resolved, so these are a no go for me.

hmm....I'm gonna try downgrading to 10.8 and using the 10.9 app profiles

Update on the crossfire color saturation flickering issue. I've narrowed it down to a problem with the HDMI driver. I've since swapped from using a Mini-DP to HDMI dongle to a Mini-DP to DVI dongle (which in turn I then plug into a DVI to HDMI adaptor in order to plug the machine into the TV). When running cards in "DVI Mode" the problem is not present. Again this is hardly ideal as I now need to run a second cable to my amplifier in order to utilise 5.1/7.1 LPCM.

I had a flick through steam...how do I get my drivers through them? Can't seem to find it, probably just being a pleb though :)

*edit*

Nevermind ;)

I'm using the 10.9 hotfix drivers on my 5870 in my AMD rig. So far so good. I like 'em.

Back