Catalyst 10.9 Out and Now Available Through Steam

I tried it and it broke crossfire for me, it couldn't find the 2nd card. You have to have previous drivers for it to install new ones so you can't do a clean install through steam either. It works fine again using the normal method.

how the hell does this work through steam lol

I just tried it, basically it installs like a steam client update. It downloads and then runs the installer, big deal.

The one thing I did like was that it seems to perform a proper express install. Uses your existing CCC settings and updates everything accordingly without messing up old settings.

Edit: It also doesn't ask you to opt-in to every little AMD program and promotion.

Last edited:
Its not automatically going to do this next I start Steam, is it?

Going to be royally pissed if it does...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yeah no shit, i've little to no interest in the new driver, best not auto install on my system or bye bye Steam forever not like i use it for anything anyways, such a aweful program.

Did the X2's only use only of the two GPU's before?

The last few Catalyst drivers have had a bug where the second GPU wasn’t being used in Crossfire. Read the 10.8a sticky, you’ll see the chain of events that leads to the 10.8b and 10.9a hotfixes.

Rofl, that was quick!

Of course it was quick. AMD submits their drivers to Microsoft for WHQL certification before releasing them. They can’t add a patch to those drivers that have already been approved, so they just tack the hotfix on in a post-release version.

Not sure why you’re driving amusement from this. It’s completely legitimate. If history holds, then 10.10 will have the hotfix incorporated as part of the WHQL certified package, eliminating the need for a post-release hotfix.

From what I can tell you must initiate the update. I updated steam and it showed me that a new driver was available. Didn't auto install or anything.

I've got the option to update through Steam, but it didn't force it on me.

So.. how do you find this on Steam?

I see no intuitive way to do this. Nothing in Steam says anything about AMD drivers.

So.. how do you find this on Steam?

I see no intuitive way to do this. Nothing in Steam says anything about AMD drivers.

If you didn't get the popup or cleared it and wish to download/install the drivers later, click STEAM -> Update AMD Video Drivers.

Anyone who has crossfire and has tried 10.9 with Starcraft 2 - does it improve performance? I see this in the release notes:

CrossFire™ now functions properly and in-game Anti-Aliasing can now be enabled
in "StarCraft II"

System Specs:
E8500 @ 4ghz
Asus P5Q3 Deluxe w/ WiFi
XFi Xtrememusic
4gb DDR3 ram
win7 x64
4870x2
10.9a drivers w/ 10.9 cap

dx 9 - 2nd gpu clocks up just fine
dx10 - 2nd gpu stays at 2d clock speeds
hardware cursor problem has been fixed

Anyone who has crossfire and has tried 10.9 with Starcraft 2 - does it improve performance? I see this in the release notes:

CrossFire™ now functions properly and in-game Anti-Aliasing can now be enabled
in "StarCraft II"

How about with BFBC2 in CrossFire? Is says there is an updated profile, but once again I am skeptical.

I tried out the steam update, worked okay. Only thing I don't like is that it express installed and went right past the option screen for custom/express install. I usually hit custom and click off the comm opt in and other crap they sometimes have in there for free game trials or whatever.

I see AA in SC2 is supported now. I'm not at home to check, is that enabled in-game or in CCC?

Looking forward to hearing whether Starcraft 2 is fixed by these drivers. My brother has a nice system with an i7 920 and 4870x2 but SC2 has appalingly low fps for his system.

How about with BFBC2 in CrossFire? Is says there is an updated profile, but once again I am skeptical.

I don't have BFBC 2, but yeah, it would be nice if they fixed that. I'm also skeptical but will definitely try the new drivers after I get off of work.

I tried out the steam update, worked okay. Only thing I don't like is that it express installed and went right past the option screen for custom/express install. I usually hit custom and click off the comm opt in and other crap they sometimes have in there for free game trials or whatever.
The express install through Steam doesn't install any of that crap anyway, so you're good.

Looking forward to hearing whether Starcraft 2 is fixed by these drivers. My brother has a nice system with an i7 920 and 4870x2 but SC2 has appalingly low fps for his system.

Read the release notes. Your answer is in there.

(The answer is yes.)

Read the release notes. Your answer is in there.

(The answer is yes.)

Appreciate your response although I read the release notes and meant more that I was looking forward to hearing how well the drivers live up to their promise.

Its either laugh or cry right? ;-) JK. In all seriousness, Lets just remember that they both have problems, and keep pushing BOTH companies to do what needs to be done. This is an awesome step by AMD to partner with Steam- It's gonna help with marketing and ease of use which is huge for the mainstream user.

Has anyone gotten a chance to try out 10.9 and the new CAP on BC2? The BC2 forums are of no help whatsoever. I'm on 10.5a with the 10.8b app profile right now with my CFX 4890s. Getting a little tired of seeing random rocks, grass etc. being rendered in places where they shouldn't be..

Back