Built-in Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted in this thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=897286

another way to look at it:

550W peak PSU / 120 volts = 4.6 AMPS.

I'm building my new desk/workstation and only want to run off of one plug. So I am buying a APC rackmount unit that runs off of 220V. Cuts the amps in half for the same load. (Or in my case, double the load, same Amps :D ) And it comes with a 220V to 120V transformer unit. Going to hire an electrician to run essentially an electric range plug to my office and everything will run off of it. 30 AMPS at 220V should cover everything:

• 21" CRT
  • 2 x LCD's
  • 2 x 650W comps
  • 27" TV
  • Cable Box
  • Klipch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 system 9'er
  • Color Laser Printer
  • 6 x indirect light bars (~30W apiece)
  • 5 incandescent lights (60W ea)
  • 8 duplex plugs minimum
  • Scanner
  • 1 halogen track light thing
  • future NAS server
  • Untold peripherials
  • you get the point.

About 5900W listed there with everything at rated max load- at 220V that comes up to 27 Amps. 90% of capacity. Works for me. And that's at full tilt. Average load should be around 10 Amps at 220V. On powersave with all of the lights out, around 1 Amp at 220V.

TSS Modder said:
it really doesnt matter, since he has a nuclear reactor set up in his garage ;) :D

Hahahahaa! I was trying to come up with the most complete BS statement possible.... someone bit! Oh well- all is well and fun and games until someone's reactor melts down.. :)

Impressive... I wonder how much it's all gonna cost when it's done. I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to buy something like that. Great work!

pcMan said:
Impressive... I wonder how much it's all gonna cost when it's done. I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to buy something like that. Great work!
oh, i would be more than willing to buy a desk like that. until i saw the total for labor.... :eek:

MrPrez said:
bump to front

Only worked about 70 hours this past week, haven't had much time for building..

Will be posting pics in the near future, beginning to move my old desk out so I can finish the new desk.

Awesome. What do you do for a living that requries you to work 70 hours a week? Store manager or something?

I had a hard time picturing at all what this was going to look like until you got those shelves with the lamp up, at first I didn't like it too much because it seemed too large, but now with the shelves and lamp, I like it a lot, great work, and that lighting method of the indirect light looks very nice. Keep up the good work, and I hope you finish soon so you can stop laboring over the office and start working in it :)

MrPrez said:
Awesome. What do you do for a living that requries you to work 70 hours a week? Store manager or something?

Nah I believe its the life of a fellow 'Geer

Slap

Been working too much- drove right past my house the other day; didn't recognize it :D jk

Working on fascia on my CRT stand:

PICT9130.jpg

PICT9133.jpg

PICT9135.jpg

PICT9137.jpg

PICT9138.jpg

Affixing with Cyanoacrylate (superglue essentially; acrylic in a solvent - crystalizes into a stiff acrylic matrix after permiating into micro-crevices and pores; once the cat is let out of the bag so to speak - from what I understand; I'm not a chemical engineer..) .. and then using fewer screws/nails- it's a high visibility piece.)
PICT9139.jpg

Standard Cyanoacrylate is a pretty poor glue for porous materials. Surely there's a better bonding agent for a thin wood fascia?

masher said:
Standard Cyanoacrylate is a pretty poor glue for porous materials. Surely there's a better bonding agent for a thin wood fascia?

It's what I had, and it 'stuck' so to speak, In reality it has no structural value, it held everything there until I got the nails and screws installed.

What would you suggest? Epoxy?

No, not epoxy. Standard carpenter's yellow glue or a modified PVA or polyurethane glue. Properly used, these will form sandable joints on wood that are stronger than the wood itself. They're not horribly brittle like cyanoacrylate and they're much better at spanning small gaps.

If you switch, you'll want to use a lower clamping force than you have been with superglue. Too strong a clamp will squeeze out all the glue and weaken the final joint.

That looks to be a very promising desk, and by god you have the most beautiful medicine cabinet I have ever seen in my life.
That makes me laugh.

illgiveumorality said:
That looks to be a very promising desk, and by god you have the most beautiful medicine cabinet I have ever seen in my life.
That makes me laugh.

Going to try and make a good dent in it this weekend; finally a weekend I am not working :) :cool:

It sucks that you have to work so many hours, but at least that is what is paying for all that lumber...and the electricity bill. Oh wait, you have that Mk. 9 UNSC Halcyon Fusion reactor in your garage. :D

Getting closer to substantial completion..

Last Minute with the old desk..
PICT9142.jpg

Old Desk gone..
PICT9143.jpg

PICT9148.jpg

PICT9151.jpg

PICT9152.jpg

PICT9156.jpg

PICT9160.jpg

Borgschulze said:
Damn, if you sell the house does the desk come with it?
I'd buy your house just for the desk.

Ha! I'm leasing! :D - I've built it where I can take it with me, and only re-build certain key pieces to fit a new configuration..

beautiful work there jen4950! Is there a chance of a tutorial on how to build an office like that for the "less skilled in trades" people?

poppa said:
beautiful work there jen4950! Is there a chance of a tutorial on how to build an office like that for the "less skilled in trades" people?

That was the whole idea of this thread..

If you have specific questions about a particular pic, just ask..

the_Ultimate said:
so he bought?

stop giving me riddles!
how much more straightforward can i put it? its a joke... can you not understand that?

joke = false

its impossible to obtain a fussion reactor.... :rolleyes:

TSS Modder said:
how much more straightforward can i put it? its a joke... can you not understand that?

joke = false

its impossible to obtain a fussion reactor.... :rolleyes:

Not impossible... but.. :rolleyes:

Ahh... genuine progress..

Heat activated veneer- suprizingly high-quality stuff..

PICT9176.jpg

PICT9178.jpg

PICT9180.jpg

Contact Cement process in action- works really well..
PICT9181.jpg

PICT9182.jpg

PICT9183.jpg

PICT9183.jpg

PICT9185.jpg

PICT9190.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back