Built-in Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
jmroberts70 said:
Fantastic work!! It has really been a pleasure watching this project come together. Thanks for sharing it with us all.

I really appreciate your support- thanks!

Howdy. Found your project through the post your workstation thread. I got through most of the pages. I noticed your Aggie banner a few pages back and just wanted to say nice work... WHOOP! I really like that you built in the electrical.

You should run some ductwork from the ac duct to your comp for so uber cold air cooling.

You should run some ductwork from the ac duct to your comp for so uber cold air cooling...

...or run the cold water supply for the house through the back, to water-cool all the equipment? Nice and quiet...and every time you flush a toilet, your cpu temps drop a couple degrees.

masher said:
...or run the cold water supply for the house through the back, to water-cool all the equipment? Nice and quiet...and every time you flush a toilet, your cpu temps drop a couple degrees.
hahahaha!! :D :D

That thing takes up the whole room! how many people could you comfortably fit in there if you had a lan party?

and its not a computer room its a desk room :p

oh and it looks awesome

WOW! ... very nice work! I hope you dont' have to move anytime soon. :D

... about a month ago, I bought one of the best purchases I've ever made... Porter-Cable Finish & Brad Nailer Combo Kit. I also bought the frameing nailer too. Since their arival... I've replaced all our trim in the house, added some crown molding, and made our own 6 panel doors. Now my mom wants me to do her house too... lol...

... How did they ever do this stuff without these great power tools?!?!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Heh and i thought the desk im planning on building was big and expensive.

You have just redefined the desk, congrats.

You show great skill and craftsmanship in building that desk, take pride in it. If i were you id keep a pic of it in my wallet :)

Most furniture built today will fall apart after a few years. I usually look for older stuff since they made their stuff to last. Todays companies see no profit in building something that alsts because that is one customer that wont come back. They make stuff to last long enough so that that customer comes back. Like when shopping to a desk with drawers I look for dovetails holding it together. If tis nailed together with tiny nails it will fall apart within a few months. I also like a solid wood bottom and not the carboard thin wood most companies use.

Buying old, building it yourself, or buying it from Norm Abrams is the best way to go.

damn, I want to be an engineer

and that's alot of wood, wonder how much the wood cost

And can I have your old desk?

BTW great job!

I absolutely love your work, your doing everything I've wanted to do, but only attempted to do with ikea furniture :( (Make a customized desk sort of)
This is a good kick in the ass for me though :) keep up the good work!

dear god its coming along VERY nicely. I finally have an idea of what it looks like. the peices posted before made me think it was only an L shapped desk but now i see its more of a U Thats awesome. Skills like those are priceless.

Most furniture built today will fall apart after a few years. I usually look for older stuff since they made their stuff to last...

Of course, they said the same thing in the 1980s...and the 60s...and the 40s...and pretty much all the way back to the dawn of time. Every generation believes in the myth of the 'good old days'.

We only see the well-made furniture from the past...the poorly made stuff all fell apart years ago. So obviously if you see a 50-year old desk, chair, or table, then it was built to last. By definition.

masher said:
LMFAO ROFL

masher said:
Of course, they said the same thing in the 1980s...and the 60s...and the 40s...and pretty much all the way back to the dawn of time. Every generation believes in the myth of the 'good old days'.

We only see the well-made furniture from the past...the poorly made stuff all fell apart years ago. So obviously if you see a 50-year old desk, chair, or table, then it was built to last. By definition.

of course 10 or 20 years ago the majority of cheap furniture wasnt built out of particleboard w\ a veneer, think the point is that cheap furniture has always had poor joinery, but that modern cheap furniture will melt like the wicked witch in a few years :p

just incredible - i only hope i can have such patience and skill if i ever choose to do such a project.

Now, my thoughts - dnt do it in a deep stain - to me, leave it light as it is , alight stain - a more modern look i guess? and with the right lighting it will look fantastic.

but i am sure it will look great either way, and of course if you prefer dark, then go dark and make it look awsome.

mmm, come to think of it, a dark stain could look very nice... with the right lighting :D

Its been a month since we had an update. Is everything ok over there?

Lazy_Moron said:
Its been a month since we had an update. Is everything ok over there?

Been traveling and worked pretty hard. Was already to 40 hours this week on Wednesday. :rolleyes:

I've got some help lined up to finish this in the next 2 or 3 weeks. I've done alot on the wiring, will post some pics later.

WOW jen, i think its time to knock down a wall and continue the expansion on the desk, not quite big enuf yet :p looks REALLY good tho!

of course 10 or 20 years ago the majority of cheap furniture wasnt built out of particleboard w\ a veneer...

Actually the cheap furniture I had in college (just under 20 years ago) was built exactly like this. And given the particleboard of the time didn't use the high-tech glues we have today, it tended to crumble to dust in high-humidity weather in just a few years time.

Particleboard's been around a lot longer than you think.

just curiuos as to how much u have spent on this whole project.

great work tho.

marley1 said:
just curiuos as to how much u have spent on this whole project.

great work tho.

Alot. I am getting alot closer to the finish line- been traveling and working alot. Pics in a few minutes..

Pics:

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

I don't know if that last pic is a finish or no flash, but either way it looks SWEET. Killer work as always.

:eek:

oh man, I liked that lighter wood tone
just a personal perference, but to me that stain is dark
I personally would have probably clearcoated

Ice Czar said:
:eek:

oh man, I liked that lighter wood tone
just a personal perference, but to me that stain is dark
I personally would have probably clearcoated

I am a dark mahogany kind of guy- also the lighting is deceptive- I'll take a pic in a minute (this morning..)

ah that looks better ;)

I still perfer the lighter wood value at least with the limited color balance we have between the camera, your image editing, my ICC ect :p

but thats sheer personal preference a more uniform grain value, its was looking very Maplesque before the staining, but the new photo brings up the Mahogany tones much better the the last one which reminded me of fake Walnut

Based upon how much I spent on the wood, it is very definitely real oak with a dark red stain :D

I like the stain you choose for it. Looks very nice.

How much more is there to go, before its 100% completed. Since you put the stain on, I take it, there isnt anymore cutting or drilling that has to be donel

Lazy_Moron said:
I like the stain you choose for it. Looks very nice.

How much more is there to go, before its 100% completed. Since you put the stain on, I take it, there isnt anymore cutting or drilling that has to be donel

I've got a little left on the other side-

And have to finish the wiring.. I'll be buying my UPS in probably a month, so at most another 4-6 weeks. Keep in mind, I've only been working on it a couple nights a week-

i remembered seeing this thread a couple months ago, and have recently decided to build my own desk. thank you for your inspiration! i took the idea of being modular and using bolts to make it so (i will be taking it home from college). anyways... i wanna see yours finished!!!! also, what was your design process like? design it as you went, or sit down and design it all at once? either way, can you scan a bunch of your sketches so i can get an idea of your process. bottom line is i want to imitate it... who wouldnt, this is a gorgeous piece of work... incredible.

Nat

natpond said:
i remembered seeing this thread a couple months ago, and have recently decided to build my own desk. thank you for your inspiration! i took the idea of being modular and using bolts to make it so (i will be taking it home from college). anyways... i wanna see yours finished!!!! also, what was your design process like? design it as you went, or sit down and design it all at once? either way, can you scan a bunch of your sketches so i can get an idea of your process. bottom line is i want to imitate it... who wouldnt, this is a gorgeous piece of work... incredible.

Nat

I'll work something up for you in the next couple days. I pretty much winged it- but I'm really good with visualizing stuff; so didn't need to draw much.

It's one thing trying to get someone else to build your design; another to build it yourself. Helluva lot easier to build it yourself.

I've stained and clear-coated a bunch of pieces; will post pics in the next couple days. Been too damn busy to get anything significant done.. Also had an opportunity to move across the country that fell thru; so obviously didn't want to work on it if I was going to scrap it in 2 weeks.. Been working on it since I heard from the project.

I love the "Damn the Windows - Full Wood Ahead" thought here :)

-Larry

5inistry said:
Any finished pics of the whole desk?

Not quite- been swamped at work; for instance, had a 400' crane fall over on my building yesterday.. :eek: Knocked out the whole 4th level.

And have had the Shingles all last week and this week. Talk about a shitty weekend.

jen4950 said:
Not quite- been swamped at work; for instance, had a 400' crane fall over on my building yesterday.. :eek: Knocked out the whole 4th level.
Okay, I know this is a little OT, and not real nice, but

PICS!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back