Built-in Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you should have just gotten one ginormous chunk of wood from a sequoia or something and just chiseled out your desk, seems like it would have been easier and quicker :D

But seriously, great work, your attention to detail is amazing, and your skill at planning out this desk is very good too. All this makes me want to build that air hockey table I have been wanting.

Hopefully the curves in the last few photos are just vignetting from your camera.

This is coming along nicely and giving me some good ideas. I loved the ghetto steam setup. I'm getting one of those propane turkey friers for some serious steam action. Ghetto paradise.

What does heat activated veneer do?

eggrock said:
Hopefully the curves in the last few photos are just vignetting from your camera.

This is coming along nicely and giving me some good ideas. I loved the ghetto steam setup. I'm getting one of those propane turkey friers for some serious steam action. Ghetto paradise.

What does heat activated veneer do?

Yea- it's straight as an arrow.

The veneer is already backed with glue so you don't have to go thru the whole contact cement fiasco.

PICT9194.jpg

PICT9192.jpg

Here's a pic of where I am at right now- the messy areas are wood filler- sand it down and it makes a great finished joint or screw hole.

Quite an amazing accomplishment thus far, I must say! I can't even imagine how long it will take for you to stain this monolith, though! *faints* :eek:

How much stuff do you have???:eek:

I could never fill that many shelves...well okay, maybe I could.

Nice job nonetheless

Lazy_Moron said:
Any updates coming? Or have you been to busy with work again?

You guessed it- going on vacation next week, so having a helluva time getting caught up enough to keep things going while I'm gone.

I've actually got alot of the veneering done- just been really busy.

Holy poop shit, Batman!

I never realized it was gonna be THAT big. That is freakin' sweet

New pics with my new camera- Canon EOS 20D :D - very happy with it..

Began Sanding

IMG_3101.jpg

Finished Bookshelves / Picture Holes (whatever you want to call them..)

IMG_3208_W.jpg

UBER super-big hyper huge original resolution pic (3.3MB JPG) Low light conditions made it difficult to get a really sharp pic; I'm still learning everything there is to know about the 20D.

Installed Halogen Lights :D

IMG_3228_W.jpg

UBER super-big hyper huge original resolution pic (4.4MB JPG) Again, Low light conditions made it difficult to get a really sharp pic; I'm still learning everything there is to know about the 20D.

MrSlacker said:
very nice. why are you covering all windows with shelves?

Well, I don't know- seemed like a good idea at the time... JK :D

Not a great view.

• Not a great view
  • Block off the openings for theft
  • Wanted the space
  • Light and lights & shades are still easily accessible..

She's a beaut! Can't wait till it's finished! By the next time I hit this thread, it'll probably be done. I check back here around every 3/4 month. Keep it goin'!

MrSlacker said:
very nice. why are you covering all windows with shelves?

yeah, no kidding....you do realize that in the event of a fire (which is quite possible with all that wood, LOL), you're pretty much screwed... :D

the fire marshall would have a field day with this room!

masher said:
Standard Cyanoacrylate is a pretty poor glue for porous materials. Surely there's a better bonding agent for a thin wood fascia?
Gorilla Glue

man, i think every computer room should have an oven mitt....never know when it will come in handy!! :D :D

ovenmitt.jpg

looking good, though.....damn this thing is HUUUUUUUGE!

Are you going to stain the wood? Or are you just going to sand it very good, and leave it how it is?

EvilKokonut said:
wow much better than the 10k desk
Speaking of which (sorry I didn't read all 11 pages) what's your estimated cost in parts (we all know it's a labor of love ;) )?

BTW, very nice work, I like all the built in lighting. :)

xXaNaXx said:
yeah, no kidding....you do realize that in the event of a fire (which is quite possible with all that wood, LOL), you're pretty much screwed... :D

the fire marshall would have a field day with this room!

Gorilla Glue

man, i think every computer room should have an oven mitt....never know when it will come in handy!! :D

ovenmitt.jpg

looking good, though.....damn this thing is HUUUUUUUGE!

I look at it as furniture- and the whole house has hardwood floors with a polyurethane varnish.. I don't think my desk will be the big problem in the event of a fire.. ;)

And the door opening is ADA compliant :D

Phoenix86 said:
Speaking of which (sorry I didn't read all 11 pages) what's your estimated cost in parts (we all know it's a labor of love ;) )?

BTW, very nice work, I like all the built in lighting. :)

Probably about $4,000 - $5,000 in parts and materials. And that includes some new tools :D

Drill a hole(s) in the wall and duct your cpu exhaust into it. I dont care about racheal dont tell me about it.

ovenmitt.jpg

He calls it "The Love Glove" :D

Just read the thread, very industrious mofo you are. I like the time and detail you put into it. The recessed lighting in the top looks a helluvalot better than the antennae lighting you had going on. Did you repurpose that somewhere else?

Patman said:
Drill a hole(s) in the wall and duct your cpu exhaust into it. I dont care about racheal dont tell me about it.

A main point with this project is to not touch the room- no permanent modifications or attachments to the walls. I don't own the place, plan on taking it with me when I leave-

jen4950 said:
A main point with this project is to not touch the room- no permanent modifications or attachments to the walls. I don't own the place, plan on taking it with me when I leave-

Whoa, how in the world are you going to find another house with the exact same dimensions and windows in the same place, so your desk will fit again?

$4-$5 going into a custom-built home furnishing (and it's not even looking like chattel anymore, more like a "fixture,") is an awful lot for a place you don't own. :(

On the up side, it's beautifully done and I admire your skill, ambition, and "vision." :)

RogerX said:
Whoa, how in the world are you going to find another house with the exact same dimensions and windows in the same place, so your desk will fit again?

$4-$5 going into a custom-built home furnishing (and it's not even looking like chattel anymore, more like a "fixture,") is an awful lot for a place you don't own. :(

On the up side, it's beautifully done and I admire your skill, ambition, and "vision." :)

That's why I am the engineer in this thread :D

there are 3 main components- it will fit in any 10' by 12' room by building new 'interconnects' between the pieces. If the room is wider, I build a bigger credenza. If the room is longer, I add shelves the to back-end. It's pretty tough to tell the joints because I have hidden most of the hardware with blind bolts- that was the point.

Besides- building it is 90% of the reason I am doing this project- the only real way you get better at a trade is by doing it. And I really have a knack for woodworking- always have; and want to get better at it now that I can afford it.

If my landlord offers $300 for it- I'd sell; just more motivation for the next project in the next house-

Awesome work, but I'm confused as why you'd sell something that cost you $3000-$4000 to build for $300. Why take a negative profit on a masterpiece?

Empyrean said:
Awesome work, but I'm confused as why you'd sell something that cost you $3000-$4000 to build for $300. Why take a negative profit on a masterpiece?

It's not about the money- I'd take pride in someone willing to buy it- I've extracted all of the value I need out of it- It'll work great for the years that I am in this place- but by then I'll be ready for my next project.

I'm not doing this for the money; and I sure as hell wouldn't be doing it if money was an issue that was a serious problem.

I would love to have any one of those three pieces, but all three together would make me feel a little claustraphobic...great work though, all this woodwork makes me want to build that air hockey table I have always wanted to build.

Fantastic work!! It has really been a pleasure watching this project come together. Thanks for sharing it with us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back