Built-in Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

jen4950

[H]F Junkie
I'm starting my next project- build out of my office..

Completely modular so I can take it with me if I leave this house- I'll just build new modules if it doesn't fit in the new room..

Well- let the pics begin...

Before Pictures: (toronado came thru- moving pains..)

PICT7711.jpg

Only salvaged part of old desk-
PICT7712.jpg

Pic of old desk in it's hey-day (200 miles away in College Station..- obviously ripped out of it's home- suprized it fared as well as it did :D ):
Desk_004.jpg

These cables go somewhere... :D
PICT7713.jpg

PICT7714.jpg

I'll post my tools etc later.... There is 1 critical tool; the miter saw.. Notice no wood putty on 7719...

jen4950 said:
:D

Nope- I'm an engineer- pre-fab doesn't suit me well :D
nah, i wasj ust saying the base of that reminded me of the jerker :)

10k desk for 1g does sound awesome, and feasible. Not to mention this will be better!

are you a chick?

randyc said:
nah, i wasj ust saying the base of that reminded me of the jerker :)

10k desk for 1g does sound awesome, and feasible. Not to mention this will be better!

are you a chick?

Check out my saw:

SAW_Mother_Fucker.jpg

Is that a woman's saw? ( dikes don't count dammit) ;) - trying to get a rise out of the [H] :cool:

Hey jen4950 you might want to rephrase what you just said in the parentheses there. I know it could get some people upset.

That looks to be shaping up to be one heck of a' sturdy desk! :eek:

wtf...
a mod just edited a post in your thread for being off subject :-/
Isn't that the job of the thread starter to decide!

Either way, I'm looking forward to more on the project.
I'm curious on what type of modules your putting in?

randyc said:
wtf...
a mod just edited a post in your thread for being off subject :-/
Isn't that the job of the thread starter to decide!

Either way, I'm looking forward to more on the project.
I'm curious on what type of modules your putting in?

No prob- I said something along the lines of not liking being called a girl.. :D

I'll scan in some sketches tonight...

Wow, combination desk/bomb shelter!
Cant wait to see the plans. looks like some sort of cable management at the back of the desk?

Here's the medicine cabinet I just finished this past weekend- kinda the look I'm going for but with more red and millwork details.

Med_Cabinet.jpg

DryFire said:
Looks like you're anchoring it to the wall any particular reason for this?

Actually completely opposite- my previous desk was anchored to the wall, and taking it out was a disaster.. I learned many things from my first desk build... Things I loved- things I regret. trying to work it all in this time.

Old_Removal.jpg

So this one is being built in modules- limits of 6'-7" in length, 24" deep and 52" high to be able to get thru all of the openings and halls in my current house.

And NO attachment to the existing structure.. Notice the backboard on the old desk was where I started, ... by attaching it to the wall.. I built it to take apart, and most everything came apart pretty easy.. but the drywall was really cheap and got poked thru really easy.

DryFire said:
Looks like you're anchoring it to the wall any particular reason for this?

Here is what you are reffering to:

PICT7737.jpg

It's just a spacer for the backing sheet that I am getting ready to put up. I needed the frame to mount it to before I brought it in.

THIS is what I'M talking about,woodworking is awesome. i have only built things such as speaker stands, sub enclsoures, and toolboxes, but still, this desk is going to own all!

Tiny said:
That looks to be shaping up to be one heck of a' sturdy desk! :eek:

Actually the real motivation behind the framing is that 2x4's and 2x6's are a HELLUVA lot cheaper than oak. I'll frame it out and then add a 1/4" oak veneer over all of the exposed members, and built out the details with real oak.

derrick1623 said:
THIS is what I'M talking about,woodworking is awesome. i have only built things such as speaker stands, sub enclsoures, and toolboxes, but still, this desk is going to own all!

Thanks for the props- I'll try to keep the thread up-to-date; we don't see many of these around here..

i must interject here for a moment, thinking about the "near future"... what if you get a leak in your tub, and have to get to that access panel there, do you have to disassemble the desk?

other than that, yes, keep me updated with pics, its shaping up nicely!

derrick1623 said:
i must interject here for a moment, thinking about the "near future"... what if you get a leak in your tub, and have to get to that access panel there, do you have to disassemble the desk?

other than that, yes, keep me updated with pics, its shaping up nicely!

Very Perceptive!! I'm Impressed! (flooding experience?)

PICT7741.jpg

PICT7743.jpg

I've designed it where I'll have to remove two flat modules (and the TV.., until I upgrade to the plasma :D ) and the rest slides away from the wall. 8 bolts (10 minutes tops) and easy access.. Plumbing is also accessible from crawlspace.. kinda not really..

House was built in the 40's but recently remodeled.. But still have to plan for contingencies.

jen4950 said:
Actually completely opposite- my previous desk was anchored to the wall, and taking it out was a disaster.. I learned many things from my first desk build... Things I loved- things I regret. trying to work it all in this time.

Old_Removal.jpg

So this one is being built in modules- limits of 6'-7" in length, 24" deep and 52" high to be able to get thru all of the openings and halls in my current house.

And NO attachment to the existing structure.. Notice the backboard on the old desk was where I started, ... by attaching it to the wall.. I built it to take apart, and most everything came apart pretty easy.. but the drywall was really cheap and got poked thru really easy.

dont look now, but i think you have a hammer floating in mid air their.

very nice desk though, and not to undermine you, but I have a 25,000 dollar workstation being made right now...i'll get pics (and my own thread) later

P.S. By workstation I mean basement :p

rayman2k2 said:
dont look now, but i think you have a hammer floating in mid air their.

very nice desk though, and not to undermine you, but I have a 25,000 dollar workstation being made right now...i'll get pics (and my own thread) later

P.S. By workstation I mean basement :p

Sweet! PICS DAMMIT!

I've always had a knack for woodworking- ever since I dropped out of my first tree-house and subsequently killed the tree with so many fucking nails with my retrofit... :D

This is my relaxation after work- bling-bling; lets compare after the finished product is complete! It'll really help my ego :D heh- jk- I'm an engineer and am very specific with my desires, a carpenter would go nuts with me as a client...

PICS DAMMIT!! :D

Here are a couple pics of my old desk minutes before destruction... (as much fun as that sounds, it was a pain in the ass..)

Old_1.jpg

Old_2.jpg

i can see why your making a new one, mine wasnt nearly as complex just a plain L

I'm using blind bolts to facilitate easy dissasembly, and they are going to be behind a thin red oak veneer. I am using a large bolt to allow a lower level of stress on the filler that I am using to keep it from spinning..
PICT7753.jpg

PICT7747.jpg

Other current pics

PICT7754.jpg

PICT7755.jpg

Looking good! Keep up the good work.

BTW....I was a pack-rat too at one time. But I got over it when I could hardly see the floor becuase of all the stuff I was holding onto. Just tossing all the junk that I hadn't touched in over a year was fun.

Anyway, I like how it is shaping up, and good thinking on the veneer. Any inlay plans? ;)

Tiny said:
Looking good! Keep up the good work.

BTW....I was a pack-rat too at one time. But I got over it when I could hardly see the floor becuase of all the stuff I was holding onto. Just tossing all the junk that I hadn't touched in over a year was fun.

Anyway, I like how it is shaping up, and good thinking on the veneer. Any inlay plans? ;)

No joke- that was my old place-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back