Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Blade-Runner

Supreme [H]ardness
2K just announced Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, a new entry in the awesome/ridiculous/ridiculously-awesome FPS series from Gearbox. It takes place between Borderlands 1 and 2, and explores the rise of the latter’s charmingly sadistic villain: Handsome Jack. Oh, and it’s on the moon.

Offensive opportunities will be plentiful, with new laser-based and “Cryo” weapons joining the already gargantuan armory present on Pandora, and you can play as one of four new characters — including Claptrap.

Handsome Jack is back with a whole new cast of playable characters and he’s taking you to the moon of Pandora in the next standalone AAA game in 2K’s best-selling franchise – Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. 2K announced today that the game is being co-developed by Gearbox Software and 2K Australia, and will be available later this fall for the PlayStation 3. See, aren’t you glad you kept your PS3!?

Narratively, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel takes place between the original Borderlands game and Borderlands 2. For the very first time, you’ll play on the other side as four new playable characters fighting alongside Handsome Jack, and you’ll witness Jack’s transformation into the megalomaniacal tyrant that you loved to hate in Borderlands 2. Fans of the franchise will no doubt remember some of these characters from past games. There’s Athena – The Gladiator, Wilhelm – The Enforcer, Nisha – The Lawbringer, and Claptrap – The Fragtrap. That’s right, you can play as THE Claptrap! Oh, and did we mention that you’re fighting on the moon!?

http://www.destructoid.com/borderla...s-the-shooter-looter-to-the-moon-272973.phtml

I hope its better than BL2. I just couldnt get into BL2 as i could with BL1.

I loved both Borderlands games and I can't imagine this being any different, I'll be looking forward to it. I do find it a bit odd that it's not coming to PS4 and XB1 though.... I wonder what the deal is there.

I'll be steering clear of this one by a wide margin. Loved BL2, but I really get the feeling Gearbox mostly lucked out with it (wasn't that big of a fan of BL1) and so I have low hopes that the same studio would be able to strike lightning twice, let alone a new studio taking over.

I loved both Borderlands games and I can't imagine this being any different
That was the problem with Borderlands 2 IMO. It was pretty much the same game as the first one with minor tweaks here and there. I still enjoyed it, but I think a third helping of the same would wear thin pretty quick. Here's hoping they change it up some.

Edit: Having now read the article... this sounds like a pass. If all they are changing is making movement floaty and adding jetpacks, it's going to get dull. Also, it appears this entry was farmed out, like Batman Arkham Origins.

Gearbox has pissed me off quite a bit in recent years, so they're not going to get my money that easily.

Gearbox has pissed me off quite a bit in recent years, so they're not going to get my money that easily.

Well, this one isn't Gearbox. It's 2K Australia developing it. So, 2K would get your money but Gearbox isn't a part of this one. Well, I guess they're saying Gearbox is "co-developing" it. But I don't think they really have anything to do with the development outside of passing their code over.

Well, this one isn't Gearbox. It's 2K Australia developing it. So, 2K would get your money but Gearbox isn't a part of this one. Well, I guess they're saying Gearbox is "co-developing" it. But I don't think they really have anything to do with the development outside of passing their code over.

Hmm...yeah, I guess we'll see.

I can't get to the link at work - is it a new/full game or is it more of an expansion or value game?

God, I hope the loot drops in SP are better than BL2. I couldn't finish half the bosses because I never got any good weapons.

I hope its better than BL2. I just couldnt get into BL2 as i could with BL1.

I agree man, I wanted to love BL2. I just couldn't force myself to continue through it. BL1 had me from pretty early on.

Same here, I had to force myself to care when playing BL2, I still haven't beaten it. I think I am towards the end of it but haven't played it in months.

Disappointed with BL2 so probably wont get this one. The whole "gimped gore" for worldwide release was a bit of a piss off.

The only thing that was bad in bl2 was the bosses scaling in coop, it litterally took less than a minute to beat the final boss with 4 players

That was the problem with Borderlands 2 IMO. It was pretty much the same game as the first one with minor tweaks here and there. I still enjoyed it, but I think a third helping of the same would wear thin pretty quick. Here's hoping they change it up some.

Edit: Having now read the article... this sounds like a pass. If all they are changing is making movement floaty and adding jetpacks, it's going to get dull. Also, it appears this entry was farmed out, like Batman Arkham Origins.

This is on the H moon I believe. Not Pandora.. so.. it's kinda different.

I do find it a bit odd that it's not coming to PS4 and XB1 though.... I wonder what the deal is there.

1) In development since before new consoles were even announced
2) Work already done for the PS3/360/PC versions, this is basically a mod of BL2 by a different studio with new art and assets
3) Lack of install base: only 8 or 9 million combined PS4/XBONE vs 160+ million PS3/360's
4) Who cares, this is the glorious master race forum

This title is the Arkham Origins effect -- filler title by another studio to keep the IP producing revenue and the publisher happy, giving the real developer more time to create the real nextgen sequel.

Last edited:
1) In development since before new consoles were even announced
2) Work already done for the PS3/360/PC versions, this is basically a mod of BL2 by a different studio with new art and assets
3) Lack of install base: only 8 or 9 million combined PS4/XBONE vs 160+ million PS3/360's
4) Who cares, this is the glorious master race forum

This title is the Arkham Origins effect -- filler title by another studio to keep the IP producing revenue and the publisher happy, giving the real developer more time to create the real nextgen sequel.

I'm not surprised that it's on the current gen consoles, I guess I just figured why not both? Let it run at 1080p60, toss in a handful of pretties that will be on PC anyway, and call it a day. I'll have it on PC anyway, but I didn't expect to see many 360/PS3 only releases this year.

We're going to see plenty of 360/PS3 releases in 2014 and into 2015, because nextgen consoles are struggling to gain footing and its going to be a while until they reach a critical mass.

Obviously porting a game to XBONE/PS4 is not quick & simple, it requires time and development resources that Gearbox would probably rather stay focused on BL3/Borderworlds. All the PR and marketing fluff about nextgen consoles being "basically like PC's", trying to imply crossplatform development barriers will be reduced, is just that - marketing fluff.

We're going to see plenty of 360/PS3 releases in 2014 and into 2015, because nextgen consoles are struggling to gain footing and its going to be a while until they reach a critical mass.

Obviously porting a game to XBONE/PS4 is not quick & simple, it requires time and development resources that Gearbox would probably rather stay focused on BL3/Borderworlds. All the PR and marketing fluff about nextgen consoles being "basically like PC's", trying to imply crossplatform development barriers will be reduced, is just that - marketing fluff.

Its funny that people are surprised that its mainlining its release to previous gen consoles but come on? The 360 has an installed base of over 80 million (so does the PS3) and it would be pretty dumb not to continue to support those platforms frankly.

As for the expansion/sequel/pre-sequel/pizza/pillowcase or whatever the fuck they wish to brand it as .. I'm not hugely pleased. It feels like an expanded DLC that got green lit into a full game because Randy wants to add more gold to his toilet.

Other than the low grav which looks marginally cool, it just looks like more BL2 to me. Which I guess depending on your interest level in BL2 is not a bad thing...personally I am kind of sick of it.

Other than the low grav which looks marginally cool, it just looks like more BL2 to me. Which I guess depending on your interest level in BL2 is not a bad thing...personally I am kind of sick of it.

I had fun with BL2 but I noticed I burned out on it faster than I did part 1.

I'm sure I'll probably get this but I'm not "dying" for it if you know what I mean.

I agree. I put nearly 300 hours into the first game, and probably only 30-40 into the second one. I'm not entirely sure why as they are pretty similar. I even liked a few individual aspects of BL2 better. However, add-on's like the Island of Dr. Ned and General Knoxx made the game incredibly cool. I spent most of my time in those areas. I haven't tried a lot of the DLC for BL2 yet, because the main portion didn't interest me as much.

Anyone who's played the BL2 DLC that can tell me if any of it is on the level of Dr. Ned or Knoxx?

I agree. I put nearly 300 hours into the first game, and probably only 30-40 into the second one. I'm not entirely sure why as they are pretty similar. I even liked a few individual aspects of BL2 better. However, add-on's like the Island of Dr. Ned and General Knoxx made the game incredibly cool. I spent most of my time in those areas. I haven't tried a lot of the DLC for BL2 yet, because the main portion didn't interest me as much.

Anyone who's played the BL2 DLC that can tell me if any of it is on the level of Dr. Ned or Knoxx?

Tiny Tina DLC is regarded as one of the best DLCs out there, not just in borderlands 2 but in general gaming.

Thanks! I'll give it a whirl the next time I play the game. I keep coming back to it in small doses. I was totally hooked on BL1 to where a couple of friends and I would be up until 5am multiple times a week. (luckily we were all between jobs at the same time the summer we played it...) :D

With BL2, I can play it in 2 hour chunks usually. I'll give this DLC a whirl though.

More like,

Bored-erlands

I couldn't finish the Second one. I just couldn't bring myself to care. I doubt this one will be any different.

Had a lot of fun with Borderlands 1 and 2 but will probably wait for a deep discount before picking this one up. The environment looks drab and boring, not sure how much diversity we'll see for the game.

I really enjoyed the first two games, but this looks like too much of the same; I'm concerned that the O2 meter is going to feel too much like resource management/babysitting. With a new team at the helm I think it will also be a challenge for them to maintain the feel of the first two games.

I definitely think this will be a case of wait and see before picking it up.

Had a lot of fun with Borderlands 1 and 2 but will probably wait for a deep discount before picking this one up. The environment looks drab and boring, not sure how much diversity we'll see for the game.
That's one of the things they mentioned in a previous video-- the environment may be too repetitive given the game takes place on the moon. They mentioned something about providing some variety to the area so it doesn't look so boring.

I think the problem with Borderlands 2, for me that is, was that they-- Gearbox-- decided to stick with what worked in Borderlands 1 and added a few new things to it. That was a double-edged sword in my opinion. Sure, the gameplay was not that different than BL1 but it also felt similar, maybe too similar to BL1. Given that, the game would get repetitive and boring after a while since there wasn't too much that was new to the game.

If there is a Borderlands 3, I hope they give the game more variety. I enjoy this franchise and do have a lot of fun playing it. The weapons to the [dark] humor and colorful characters are what make me like this game.

That and I hope we get more Tiny Tina in the next Borderlands game, maybe even as a playable character, perhaps. :p

400 hours in BL1 and 500+ in BL2.

Cause they are basically the only co-op with friends FPS games that are worth a crap and have any remote amount of replay value.

MORE FPS CO-OP!

Ill be buying this.

400 hours in BL1 and 500+ in BL2.

Cause they are basically the only co-op with friends FPS games that are worth a crap and have any remote amount of replay value.

MORE FPS CO-OP!

Ill be buying this.
That is another reason I enjoy Borderlands-- co-op FPS.

No F2P mechanics.

No multiplayer PVP FPS like Battlefield.

It's just you and a couple of friends, a plethora of weapons, and a wave of enemies in a single game.

I don't believe there is a comparable co-op FPS out there, let alone one that lets you play together with friends in the storyline.

Back