Borderlands 3

Driving is a PITA! But I got used to it and frankly it’s little more than a quick transport to another location.

At least the controls are tight, I booted up NMS to check their latest update and was reminded exactly what poor control setup feels like...

I am having an absolute blast playing BL3. I just got to Eden-6 and finally got the 4th weapon slot.

Wait 'till you get that damn artifact slot, and go into vapor lock trying to see what combo of mfr/shield/artifact works together. And running out of backpack slots really quick. And look at the cost of the higher pdu's, keep a defib handy. Funny, I haven't spent much eridium on weapons, once again, you have to figure out yet another combo adding the skills for Crazy Earl's weapons. Screw needing a spreadsheet, you'll need a data-mining tool and a sql database for the damn combos.

Maybe LSD would help.

Saw something about the best psycho quotes you all have heard.. My best one (if remembered correctly) after I killed them is:

"Please tell my kids I wish they were born!"

So they released an update last last night that fixed my driving issues.
Even if you're using KB/M, go under the settings for controllers and choose the driving scheme "Third-Person Camera Relative."
That will allow you to drive entirely using the keyboard and remapping all of the keys now works. The mouse still seems to affect your turning, but it isn't required. This scheme is far closer to driving in most other games.

that may be temporary, nothing really conclusive about the way it happened, and as the saying goes, if there is no body....

I just learned about this today but apparently the pc version supports HDR:

Still gotta test it out when I get home but got really excited when I found out! Apparently the video options for HDR only show if you explicitly enable HDR in Windows before launching the game. Most HDR enabled games I’ve played on PC will toggle this on for you based on game setting, so I’ve become accustomed to it being off by default.

I know visual improvements from HDR can vary wildly depending on implementation, content, and display, but it’s always great to at least have the option.

Last edited:
I just learned about this today but apparently the pc version supports HDR:

Still gotta test it out when I get home but got really excited when I found out! Apparently the video options for HDR only show if you explicitly enable HDR in Windows before launching the game.

I know visual improvements from HDR can vary wildly depending on implementation, content, and display, but it’s always great to at least have the option.

Yep, I've been using HDR since launch and it looks fantastic. And yes, you need to enable HDR in your display settings before launch. The HDR in BL3 is one of the best implementations I've seen in a PC game so far.

When in game just hit "Calibrate Display" in the video settings, enable HDR, then adjust brightness to suit and you're golden.

Yep, I've been using HDR since launch and it looks fantastic. And yes, you need to enable HDR in your display settings before launch. The HDR in BL3 is one of the best implementations I've seen in a PC game so far.

When in game just hit "Calibrate Display" in the video settings, enable HDR, then adjust brightness to suit and you're golden.
Awesome, thanks for confirming!

I was pretty disappointed when I didn’t see HDR options in Video settings the first day; figured BL3 would look awesome in HDR. Can’t wait to try it out tonight.

When using DX12 you don't have to enable HDR in Windows...it just works automatically. I wish that was how all games worked. More and more games require you to enable it before starting the game or HDR is disabled and the options disappear.

The weird thing about HDR in Borderlands is that the intro movies don't feature it. On my TV they occasionally boot me out of HDR mode and I have to re-enable it once the actual games begins. Disabling the intro movies (by renaming them) doesn't seem to change anything since it's related to the movie player they're using.

When using DX12 you don't have to enable HDR in Windows...it just works automatically. I wish that was how all games worked. More and more games require you to enable it before starting the game or HDR is disabled and the options disappear.

The weird thing about HDR in Borderlands is that the intro movies don't feature it. On my TV they occasionally boot me out of HDR mode and I have to re-enable it once the actual games begins. Disabling the intro movies (by renaming them) doesn't seem to change anything since it's related to the movie player they're using.
Interesting, and good to know about dx12! I’ve got some other HDR games I now need to go back and revisit to see if I’ve had the same problem.

I tried out HDR last night and agree with mr_zen256, it is really well implemented! All of the lighting sources just pop so much more vividly (neon lights especially so). Reflections from light also feel a lot more pronounced and noticeable, all in a good way.

On my tv/monitor all the overall image is slightly darker in HDR (not uncommon) but when mixed with the brighter light sources it makes environments more immersive. Really digging it!

Interesting, and good to know about dx12! I’ve got some other HDR games I now need to go back and revisit to see if I’ve had the same problem.

I tried out HDR last night and agree with mr_zen256, it is really well implemented! All of the lighting sources just pop so much more vividly (neon lights especially so). Reflections from light also feel a lot more pronounced and noticeable, all in a good way.

On my tv/monitor all the overall image is slightly darker in HDR (not uncommon) but when mixed with the brighter light sources it makes environments more immersive. Really digging it!

On my set I have to have a completely different color profile setting. If I don't, everything looks washed out, especially anything with a red or violet tone.
I learned this after messing around with HDR on the consoles. Luckily the exact same color/birghtness settings work fine on the PC as long as I have my color scheme set to RGB.

so anyone do those burger deliver missions? how inthe world can you do them with 9 min or more remaining?

also,

I just got to Splinterlands and EVERYTHING there is 10 levels below me when the zone just before this everything is 0 to 2 levels below me. wtf? I'm just plowing through everything.

Last edited:
About the DX12 & HDR, have they fixed the long load times with DX12? Like to see how the hdr looks, but the DX12 part sucks.

On my set I have to have a completely different color profile setting. If I don't, everything looks washed out, especially anything with a red or violet tone.
I learned this after messing around with HDR on the consoles. Luckily the exact same color/birghtness settings work fine on the PC as long as I have my color scheme set to RGB.
I’ll have to try out RGB for comparison. I’ve been using 4:4:4 just based on limited online feedback I read about HDR10 on the PC, but never went back to test RGB. Just another excuse to jump on and play BL3 again tonight. :D

About the DX12 & HDR, have they fixed the long load times with DX12? Like to see how the hdr looks, but the DX12 part sucks.

Last I checked it was still slow and stuttery. You should be able to get HDR working in DX11 if you can enable it on your desktop first. The setting is located under visuals/calibrate display.
You might try toggling RGB/YCBCR if you can't get that working.

Pretty much don't bother with DX12 in BL3. It just isn't there yet and I am not sure it ever will be. Unless you have a super ancient CPU coupled with a newer RTX GPU, the downsides (stuttering) aren't worth it. DX11 + HDR works fine beginning with Windows 10 build 1809.

Yes HDR is amazing in this game. Stunning on an LG OLED. The colors are so damn bright that I've begun to suspect it might be what those LSD microdosing people are seeing without HDR. Perhaps Comixbooks can comment.

HDR done right is just one of those things you wonder how we ever lived without, and makes you glad to be alive in this golden age of technology and gaming.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of taking off heads with Jakobs shotguns in this game. Once I discovered the One Pump Chump legendary, I was in heaven. Single shot, 1160% weapon damage and 10% crit damage, combined with Amara's skill where damage is greater the closer you are to an enemy? Heads pop like grapes even on TVHM in Mayhem3.

upload_2019-9-25_15-3-24.png

Its also a nice touch that the gun manufacturers will Mail you a new gun at your current level after 100 kills. I didn't even realize the "F4 to check Mail" option until halfway through the game. The F4 for Mail feature is also how guns from completed challenges are delivered (ie from Hammerlock or Zer0). MIght not be news to some, but was unknown to me.

Example with your Level 17 gun you reach 100 kills, and now you're at Level 19. Manufacturer mails you a new roll of that weapon type at your current level. They're typically just lower quality tiered guns (not Legendary or Epic) but its very cool nonetheless since I'm finding that a Legendary weapon doesn't necessarily mean the gun is any good.

Last edited:
Pretty much don't bother with DX12 in BL3. It just isn't there yet and I am not sure it ever will be. Unless you have a super ancient CPU coupled with a newer RTX GPU, the downsides (stuttering) aren't worth it. .

DX12 works WAAAAAAAAAY better than DX11 for me. Frames stay absolutely locked at 100 where I have it capped for my monitor instead of constant laggy stuttering and bouncing between 20 and 90. Switching to DX12 and turning texture streaming to ultra fixed all my performance problems. The game is buggy as shit otherwise but I'm still having a lot of fun.

DX12 works WAAAAAAAAAY better than DX11 for me. Frames stay absolutely locked at 100 where I have it capped for my monitor instead of constant laggy stuttering and bouncing between 20 and 90. Switching to DX12 and turning texture streaming to ultra fixed all my performance problems. The game is buggy as shit otherwise but I'm still having a lot of fun.
Really? What kind of CPU and GPU? In fairness I only tested DX12 a single time, and flipped back to DX11.

Really? What kind of CPU and GPU? In fairness I only tested DX12 a single time, and flipped back to DX11.

3700X and 2070 super. I was having constant crashes with DX11 and since I switched its been fine, the only bug I've found is sometimes a missing texture on the "floaty face" communications that some of them do.

So where did all the funny go in this game? Yes some references are funny but where is it?

Looking back at 1,2 and ps, they were silly as hell all the time. . Where did it go?

Mr. Torgue where are you? Seriously where did the funny go?

two.jpg

Finally something of a challenge he was glitched for me where I couldn't get past his shield one time the only option was to start over.
Took me 5 tries or so almost got him on the 1st. When he howls it sounds like a freight train lol.

one.jpg

Yeah, no Torgue, and Claptrap being compassionate? WTF?

Nerfs incoming https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2019-09-26-borderlands-3-patch-sept-26/
Today we’ll release an update to Borderlands 3 by or before 3:00 PM PDT that fixes a number of reported concerns:

Performance

• [PC Only] Reduced the amount of texture streaming that was occurring when aiming down sights.
  • Addressed a reported concern where certain users with a lot of people in their friend’s list saw more frequent hitching.
  • Implementing General stability improvements.
General Fixes and Improvements

• Addressed a reported issue where KillaVolt’s Shield Storm attack does not disable the tiles around KillaVolt, resulting in the entire floor being activated (oops).
  • Addressed a potential progression blocker in the mission “Footsteps of Giants”.
  • Addressed a reported issue where Guardian Rank had the potential to become non-functional and/or the player could potentially lose Guardian Rank tokens into the negatives.
  • Modified vending machines so it will now sort items by rarity.
  • Console FOV is now set to 75 by default. This will not affect players who have already started the game.
  • Special prompts for particle text (Tediore guns, “critical”, “immune”) are now properly localized.
  • Addressed a reported concern that certain players experienced where their vehicle’s boost could continue into the next map.
  • Addressed a reported concern with “Porcelain Pipe Bomb” where it set off multiple explosions when colliding with objects.This grenade was never meant to explode multiple times. All enemies in the Borderlands universe are now safe from being instantly melted by radioactive poop.
UI

• Adjusted the verbiage for “left stick” and “right stick” inside the Russian localized version of the control options screen.
  • Addressed a reported issue where certain users experienced a failure of the audio to play when spending skill points in the UI.
  • The text is now correctly marked “invalid” when you enter an invalid e-mail address on the SHiFT account creation page.
  • Addressed a reported issue where the item of the day item card would flash briefly before displaying on vending machines.
  • Addressed a reported concern that certain players were served an unread mail icon when they didn’t have mail to read.
  • Iron Bear button prompts will now correctly update if you re-bind your controls.
  • Modified various features and elements of Crazy Earl’s store.
  • Addressed a reported issue where subtitles wouldn’t display until after the initial cutscene.
  • Addressed an issue experienced by certain players that social notifications could become stuck on-screen.
  • Addressed a player concern that certain item preview images were failing to load inside the player bank.
  • [PC Only] Addressed an issue reported by certain PC players where the focus from the mouse’s last known location was sticking around even when playing with a gamepad.
  • Addressed an issue reported by certain players where the cursor would snap to an unintended location in the UI.
Splitscreen and Online Multiplayer

• Addressed a concern reported by certain players that the dialog volume faded too low before switching to ECHO audio during split-screen gameplay.
  • Addressed a concern reported by certain players that sounds were quiet or missing for the second split-screen player if they move too far from player one.
  • Addressed a concern reported by certain players that 3-player groups were having trouble matchmaking with an additional solo player.
  • Addressed a reported concerned experienced by certain players that in split-screen one player’s sprinting animation could be interrupted by the other player opening the ECHO menu.
  • Addressed a concern reported by certain players that in split-screen where one player’s aiming down sights could be interrupted by the other player opening the ECHO menu.
  • Addressed a handful of reported client replication issues:
    - Addressed Tina’s pizza bomb so it displays correctly for clients.
    - Modified certain audio elements that were reportedly looping for clients.
    - Addressed a reported player concern so the Guardian Skill “Dead Man’s Hand” now functions property.
  • Player icons are now pinned to the side of the mini-map when playing in any kind of multiplayer.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of taking off heads with Jakobs shotguns in this game. Once I discovered the One Pump Chump legendary, I was in heaven. Single shot, 1160% weapon damage and 10% crit damage, combined with Amara's skill where damage is greater the closer you are to an enemy? Heads pop like grapes even on TVHM in Mayhem3.

View attachment 189447

Its also a nice touch that the gun manufacturers will Mail you a new gun at your current level after 100 kills. I didn't even realize the "F4 to check Mail" option until halfway through the game. The F4 for Mail feature is also how guns from completed challenges are delivered (ie from Hammerlock or Zer0). MIght not be news to some, but was unknown to me.

Example with your Level 17 gun you reach 100 kills, and now you're at Level 19. Manufacturer mails you a new roll of that weapon type at your current level. They're typically just lower quality tiered guns (not Legendary or Epic) but its very cool nonetheless since I'm finding that a Legendary weapon doesn't necessarily mean the gun is any good.
I really need that gun!

The problem with Nerfs you have a few 100s videos on youtube that are no longer valid. They will stay up and cause confusion on what works in the game and what doesnt.

Finally figured out my eyestrain woes monitor was just too far away so I placed it about a foot closer seems to help.

Well the pipe bomb needed a nerf, it literally melts everything regardless of LvL or Difficulty.

Naa, make everyone better and add more enemies the borderlands way!

I 100% oppose nerfs in none pvp games.

Nerf’ing a PVE/solo game :rolleyes: people ruin everything.
Then again the term Nerf gets overused, with some people calling any change they don't like a Nerf.

BL3's internal mechanics are a big rats nest of stats and numbers and multipliers, so I can understand the developer making tweaks to better align with their original vision for the game, even if it means a few cringey meme kids in /r/borderlands3 get their 1-click boss EZkill taken away and they have to adapt to the next best thing.

unless youou are on the hardest difficulty you don't even need to sort of exloiot the game. its easy as hell on normal mode. partially becauuse the AI is terrilble. I have had so many mini bosses and bosses usut kind of fglitch out and stand there or they made fighting them easy because you can fall back into postions that theyy can't touuch you.

unless youou are on the hardest difficulty you don't even need to sort of exloiot the game. its easy as hell on normal mode. partially becauuse the AI is terrilble. I have had so many mini bosses and bosses usut kind of fglitch out and stand there or they made fighting them easy because you can fall back into postions that theyy can't touuch you.

Are you having a stroke?

Back