Black Desert Online

Engine/visuals are impressive. Korean style games action/combat I do not care for.

That character creator looks incredible... particularly the hair. The in-game stuff looks pretty damn impressive also.

As for the actual gameplay, I'm mixed. The fast combat actually looks pretty awesome (one of the biggest things that keeps me away from MMOs is slow, clunky combat). The camera, however... fuck me. I couldn't keep my eyes on the video for more than a few seconds at a time without getting dizzy. The camera bouncing and spinning all over the place is too much.

The "fast" gameplay is probably going to get boring when you find out it takes you about 20 hours (real gameplay) per level. ;)

Most of the combat I've seen thus far over the past few months looks COOL but at the early stages also looks incredibly easy. I know it's not finished but it doesn't look like the mobs do a hell of a whole lot besides let you beat their ass in style.

Character creation is better than anything we've ever seen.

I'd bet money it'll be next P2W ArcheAge flop. Pessimism ftw.

Stream I am watching because the guy looks fascinating. He can read and speak English so no Google translate allowed unless you want to have a good laugh.
http://www.twitch.tv/kooncoon

Lots of streams!
http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Black Desert

Not sure if twitch messed up or what, but everyone I tried to watch that said they were playing Black Desert were instead playing something different, from CS:GO to Smite and other crap, not a single one was playing Black Desert Online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGsyckPIYFs

Just AMAZING...... multiple enemies staggers realistically just so much going for it.

1366272482.jpg

black_desert_0008-pc-games.jpg

Black-Desert-screenshots-4.jpg

black-desert-online-beta-gameplay.jpg

Last edited:
Gender locked classes are my current gripe. Wonder if they would change that for the Western release. The game does look cool and the graphics are on point.

I absolutely hate gender locked classes, it makes everyone look the same and I like playing as males in games.

I absolutely hate gender locked classes, it makes everyone look the same and I like playing as males in games.

Same here. Literally played female avatars like once or twice max in all of the MMO's I have played, and never for very long. Lots of my friends on the other hand, who are males, ONLY play female avatars. I've just never really liked that.

I really hope this doesn't feel like every other MMO with hotbar skills, exclamation points over people's heads, a quest log, and everything else standardized by them, cause this game is looking really good.

I really hope this doesn't feel like every other MMO with hotbar skills, exclamation points over people's heads, a quest log, and everything else standardized by them, cause this game is looking really good.
Have you seen the videos on Youtube? That's exactly what this game is. Almost all MMO's follow the exact same recipe that you just laid out.

The last MMORPG to really take me away was Rift I think I'll skip Blade and Soul because it's pretty dated and just features fresh faces and oil slick Korean Anime bodies. Black Desert Online looks like the real deal.

can they just not gender lock classes, jeebus. i want to play a male archer FFS

I think I'm the only one who doesn't mind gender locked classes.

They've also added a decent amount of PvE content that the player bases has been asking for. Hopefully this game turns out like I want it to.

The gender lock pisses me off.

I always like to play a male character in rpgs and I really wanted to play a Tamer, but nope tamers are only female.

They only reason to do this is to save development cost/time (Since they don't have to model two different sets of animations and such.

Oh it's gonna be free to play with a P2W cash shop.

it's a korean game, did you expect something different from the P2W business model they've been using for years there and in China?

I believe that the game is Buy to Play and that the cash shop is for stuff like extra costumes and convenience. A player just progressing through the game will get plenty of costumes from playing the game. But the cash shop has some darn sick ones though. I can see a person getting cash shop envy from this. ;)

Also from watching livestreams, I found out that the only real P2W item in the store is a fishing pole that boosts your fishing skill for awhile and allows you to catch more or better fish; can't remember which. It lasts for a short while before you have to purchase another one. Which sounds more like something that a person that doesn't have time to play would want, but I guess some kid with mommy's CC could become the best fisherman on the server.

Going by memory, the horses in the game were catchable and breedable. So if you wanted the best horse, the only way to do it is to catch and breed them until you get the stats that you want. Not sure what is available in the cash shop. Catching horses looked interesting to me.

Glad to see more interest in this. Excited that we won't be waiting much longer!

My dream MMO has always been an open world Vindictus - lets hope Daum delivers.

Pre-ordered.

Glad to see more interest in this. Excited that we won't be waiting much longer!

My dream MMO has always been an open world Vindictus - lets hope Daum delivers.

Pre-ordered.

Really liking what DAUM is doing. Let's hope they keep it this way, or will have another ArcheAge, LOL

Game looks good, I would like to play it first before I would consider spending any money.

Back