Black Desert Online

game is only $5 right now on steam. sorta wanting to play a mmo again. I havn't played one since wow 7 years ago. I liked doing instances/raids. and playing a healer, keeping people alive was the shit. since this game has neither I don't know if I should bother getting it.

game is only $5 right now on steam. sorta wanting to play a mmo again. I havn't played one since wow 7 years ago. I liked doing instances/raids. and playing a healer, keeping people alive was the shit. since this game has neither I don't know if I should bother getting it.

Get eso. :D

Anyone interested in playing this game? I have 3 full game passes to give out. The ONLY condition is you must reach level 30 on your character. If you want one and will level at least one character to level 30 shoot me a PM.

Anyone interested in playing this game? I have 3 full game passes to give out. The ONLY condition is you must reach level 30 on your character. If you want one and will level at least one character to level 30 shoot me a PM.
Sucks my region isn't supported, would have jumped on this.

Wow I paid full price for this thing last week for my wife. :-/

If you bought it on Steam just tell them that you'd like a price adjustment. Tell them that you are not interested in returning it as you are enjoying the game, but since you bought it so close to the sale that you would like an adjustment. All they can tell you is Yes or No. :)

My bud at work said the Black Desert Online Severs are super Laggy because of the Free weekend on Steam.

You helping the new players?

No, go to a trader and purchase a trade good. I like to do it in Veilia, but any will do. Instead of placing it on a horse or carriage, place it on your character's back. If in Veilia open the map and choose Eileen as your destination by right clicking on her. Then you will notice that the map says autoloop close to your character's dot on the map. Click autoloop and then close the map.

When you're out of the map screen, hit T to auto walk. Your character should start automatically walking to Eileen and then auto loop walk back to the trader while carrying the backpack. They will do this forever. If you hold SHIFT down they will run. A Q-tip under the CAPS lock will lock the SHIFT key in for autorun. You can exit the game, but make sure that you choose to leave the game running in the background. This will allow your character to walk all day and night training.

Hit the P key to see your stats page. You can watch your strength increase. Eating food gives more health and walking without a backpack gives more stamina. You can autoloop horse training also. I believe that you need to leave some carrots in the horse's backpack so that it will walk at full speed. It will eat them as necessary. Of course you can auto-fish also.

I hear this game is definitely P2W. Otherwise, the combat and graphics look awesome and very fluid.

I hear this game is definitely P2W. Otherwise, the combat and graphics look awesome and very fluid.

Well it is P2W now as they have added in things like "get an extra 30% money back from the auction house tax system when you post items for sale, if you buy the $15 a month backpack of goodies from the cash shop." But in general all the rest of the stuff in the cash shop is Pay for Convenience. In the end the game is RNG based and paying for everything in the cash shop isn't going to increase your chances at enchanting the killer gear that makes you into a PVP God. ;)

For example when you fail an enchant, it takes away some of the durability of the item. You can buy items that cost 50 cents each from the cash shop to make fixing the item require 4x less mats! Or you can just kill the easiest boss summons ever created in MMO history over and over again to gather the materials. Lots of people would rather farm the materials for the boss summon scrolls and sell them on the auction house. Then BUY the 4x buff from the auction house and use them to fix their gear. Kinda funny right?

Also the PVP is extremely skill based so even if you bought an account from someone that was the luckiest person to ever live, you'd still get your arse handed to you. Luckily most people don't attack you while grinding mobs unless you're infringing upon their space. :) The PVP only areas and tournaments will require skill to win an gear. Of course gear is mandatory for grinding mobs in some areas and in PVP it helps a helluva lot! Don't expect to win a tournament without some RNG based enchanted gear as some of the top guilds are decked out ridiculously.

The main things that I think are necessary to buy from the Cash Shop are:

Weight. I get annoyed when I can't carry more stuff and don't want to run back to town to sell.
Inventory space. Again I want to pick it all up!
Bank space. After I have picked it all up, I want to keep it all forever and never sell it! I suffer from MMO pack rat syndrome.

All the costumes, buffs, dyes, maids, camps and other stuff in the cash shop aren't necessary to play. If I could travel back into time, I wouldn't have bought 1/10th of the stuff that I listed above as necessary. If you login everyday you will generate loyalty points to purchase weight, bank space and inventory space for free. In the end you're only really going to gear one character to the max, so why buy extras for all the rest of them? Also you only need one set of gear for all of your characters as you can freely swap gear amongst them with the exception of weapon type as different classes use different weapons. Even then, some of them are shareable. So I were starting the game today, I would immediately bought a Grunil set or Heve set of armor with all the trash loot that I vendor from playing the game. Then enchant and wear that set until I could get boss end game gear. Thus being efficient would have kept me out of the Cash Shop altogether.

Nowadays the developers have even added in weapons and armor from simply doing the main story line that is just as good as enchanting the Grunil and Heve to Pri at least. Some of the accessories for doing the main quest are Tri quality! There is an Asula set of accessories that drops in easy to farm areas that only requires your time and effort to farm. That stuff is great and is one step below end game gear for accessory slots. There is a blue starter Boss set on the auction house that costs a few million each that a person can use. Everyone says that the Lemoria set is terrible, but I thought I would mention it if you were the type that has to wear Boss gear. If you level a few characters to level 56, which will take a couple of days of grinding each, you will get 1 million gold in your mail everyday. Getting gold to buy gear is easy; not spending it on Cash Shop items that someone is selling on the auction house is hard as hell.

For a game that is only $6 when on sale, even with the P2W damn backpack buffs, I think it is a worthwhile investment. There isn't a single game mechanic that restricts you from accomplishing the same tasks as a person that owns one of everything on the Cash Shop.

Reading reviews on steam people have like 1,000+-5,000+ hours in the game and give it a bad review they must of been addicted at one point and seen something they liked.

Reading reviews on steam people have like 1,000+-5,000+ hours in the game and give it a bad review they must of been addicted at one point and seen something they liked.
Don't get it either. Same thing with FFxiv. People coplain about no content and still keep playing everyday.

Don't get it either. Same thing with FFxiv. People coplain about no content and still keep playing everyday.

Happens a lot in MMOs.

Biggest complaints that have a noticeable impact usually revolve around: Aggressive business decisions - people complain/leave. Good [impactful aspect] (story/gameplay/art) countered by bad [impactful aspect] - people complain/leave/take a break. Poor server performance - people complain/leave/take a break. Content reliant retention with low update-cycle/easy content/too rewarding (low replay-ability) - people complain/take a break. Poor balancing practices - people complain.

BDO has; engaging gameplay, interesting story, and the artistry is nice. But, it's plagued by; bad servers, aggressive business practices, poor balancing. The content update cycle is give or take (not on the bad side, from what I've seen) because it relies heavily on grinding and soft caps for player retention (Korean MMO - second-life/job philosophy).

They fixed the servers. The story is alright; it is there if you want to read it. Game is stunning and the game play is awesome. The cash shop is there for those that can afford it. I don't like playing inventory tetris so buying some extra space is almost mandatory. Then again the game is $10 on normal pricing and $6 on sale. It is Korean so there will be grinding.

The updates are great and people are highly upset at the newest changes as the class styles are being updated. The developer has decided that they want to get into ESports arena tournaments and the previous game play model didn't support that as everyone was designed to live at least for a few seconds of a siege with literally hundreds of people attacking your fort. Now they have taken all the gimmicky Super Armor and Invincibility frames mostly out of the game. Some classes were so stout that 5 or 6 people beating on them was a joke.

Can't have a 3 vs 3 or 10 vs 10 tournament if it takes 5 or 6 people to kill one member of the opposing team or one guy can keep their team alive with aoe healing on a short cool down. Now people are mad as fire because they have invested so much time and money into a class and it is completely revamped. Same moves and graphics; completely different outcomes in PVE and PVP.

I'm taking a break myself as I've played too much and failed too many enchants.

They fixed the servers. The story is alright; it is there if you want to read it. Game is stunning and the game play is awesome. The cash shop is there for those that can afford it. I don't like playing inventory tetris so buying some extra space is almost mandatory. Then again the game is $10 on normal pricing and $6 on sale. It is Korean so there will be grinding.

The updates are great and people are highly upset at the newest changes as the class styles are being updated. The developer has decided that they want to get into ESports arena tournaments and the previous game play model didn't support that as everyone was designed to live at least for a few seconds of a siege with literally hundreds of people attacking your fort. Now they have taken all the gimmicky Super Armor and Invincibility frames mostly out of the game. Some classes were so stout that 5 or 6 people beating on them was a joke.

Can't have a 3 vs 3 or 10 vs 10 tournament if it takes 5 or 6 people to kill one member of the opposing team or one guy can keep their team alive with aoe healing on a short cool down. Now people are mad as fire because they have invested so much time and money into a class and it is completely revamped. Same moves and graphics; completely different outcomes in PVE and PVP.

I'm taking a break myself as I've played too much and failed too many enchants.

When did they change/pay for better servers? I haven't played in a few months, but the latency issues kept me from playing some of the more technical classes that relied on animation cancels. I know they added a new PVP server for more "competitive" play, but didn't know about a overhaul across servers. Are they going to rebalance classes and equipment? Because going for E-sport status is kind of a joke if all they do is remove super armor/i-frames and don't do something to equalize gear advantages in those activities, that's totally counter productive to the whole game model too...

TBH, I don't think the game can support a move to E-sport gameplay unless they; completely gut it and change a lot, make special rule-based arenas, and/or work more on adding world content to keep [the game as a whole] from becoming stale.

I never got into the competitive PVP, mostly because of gear soft caps and the grind to even have a chance in "real" PVP, lol.

When did they change/pay for better servers? I haven't played in a few months, but the latency issues kept me from playing some of the more technical classes that relied on animation cancels. I know they added a new PVP server for more "competitive" play, but didn't know about a overhaul across servers. Are they going to rebalance classes and equipment? Because going for E-sport status is kind of a joke if all they do is remove super armor/i-frames and don't do something to equalize gear advantages in those activities, that's totally counter productive to the whole game model too...

TBH, I don't think the game can support a move to E-sport gameplay unless they; completely gut it and change a lot, make special rule-based arenas, and/or work more on adding world content to keep [the game as a whole] from becoming stale.

I never got into the competitive PVP, mostly because of gear soft caps and the grind to even have a chance in "real" PVP, lol.

Yes they are gutting the combat and the NA and EU player tribunals begged the developers to allow new content to flourish here as soon as KR gets it. So now we are Beta testing the changes in real time just like KR has been doing since launch. People are so mad until they are quitting the game. :) ;) ;) But the truth is that it needs to be done if they are going for ESports as the Super Armor and Invincible frame stuff just doesn't work in 3 vs 3 and other arena formats. I believe that the mobs are now easier to kill, but since you do less damage it kinda equals out. Like I said I'm on a break from the game so this is just from occasionally watching Twitch streams.

Now when I say gutting the content I don't mean that the way skills look or the amount of skills have changed. You still have the same skills but some no longer give the same outcome as before. I was watching a Ranger do a flip into a group of players to attack them with a dagger. Before when he did it he was protected by Super Armor and Invincibility frames. Now he got his face ripped off before he got 1/2 through the animation. ;) :) ;)

Witch / Wizard streamers were saying that they do 30% less damage now and their heals / protect area spells are on longer cool downs for example. Again I haven't logged in but the tears from watching the streams is good enough. :)

And yes they changed service providers for the the servers. I did login for a couple of days after they did that and everything was a lot crisper.

So the game is "new" again I'd say.

Yes they are gutting the combat and the NA and EU player tribunals begged the developers to allow new content to flourish here as soon as KR gets it. So now we are Beta testing the changes in real time just like KR has been doing since launch. People are so mad until they are quitting the game. :) ;) ;) But the truth is that it needs to be done if they are going for ESports as the Super Armor and Invincible frame stuff just doesn't work in 3 vs 3 and other arena formats. I believe that the mobs are now easier to kill, but since you do less damage it kinda equals out. Like I said I'm on a break from the game so this is just from occasionally watching Twitch streams.

Now when I say gutting the content I don't mean that the way skills look or the amount of skills have changed. You still have the same skills but some no longer give the same outcome as before. I was watching a Ranger do a flip into a group of players to attack them with a dagger. Before when he did it he was protected by Super Armor and Invincibility frames. Now he got his face ripped off before he got 1/2 through the animation. ;) :) ;)

Witch / Wizard streamers were saying that they do 30% less damage now and their heals / protect area spells are on longer cool downs for example. Again I haven't logged in but the tears from watching the streams is good enough. :)

And yes they changed service providers for the the servers. I did login for a couple of days after they did that and everything was a lot crisper.

So the game is "new" again I'd say.

That's kind of amazing, I didn't think Kakao had it in them to pull something like that. I might have to check it out once all the salt dies down and things peter-out to show the game's new direction. Makes me wonder if they'll try to up their PVE game to create more replay value if they're truly trying to make PVP E-sport competitive.

IIRC and maybe they changed it, but AFK fishing used to be a big thing. They also didn't have any inactive logout so people would just stay logged in constantly.

12,436 hours in game and Not Recommended I can tell you I never played that many hours since my Atari days in all games I ever played in my life.

-----cut paste from Steam------

Not Recommended
227.2 hrs last two weeks / 12,436.7 hrs on record
Posted: Mar 30 @ 10:06pm
Updated: Mar 30 @ 10:10pm

Well this is it.

Obviously, as anyone can see, I have sunk a lot of time into this game both AFK and actively playing. However the game's recent events have caused me to question recommending this to new players.

This game is beautiful, a perfect game for those who enjoy roleplaying, those who enjoy active PvP and those who, like myself, enjoy games that you can mindlessly grind away for hours. The character customization is massive quite in depth, however to fully enjoy it one must open their wallet to purchase the costumes the game has to offer (there is no costume cosmetics in game, and the current end game armour is so notoriously ugly that it almost seems a ploy for users to submit and purchase the in game cash currency). There are a plethora of classes to play, albeit many gender locked, but one will find it easy to find a class that suits their play style.

There is no dungeons and no raids, end game solely focuses on PvP through many different forms. Warring against guilds, open world PvP and the newly added Battle Royale mode make it so that you will encounter PvP sometime in your playthrough.

Many say the game is P2W, but even if you happily feed your credit card number into Pearl Abyss and Kakao's wallet you are not guaranteed to win anything. The game massively relies on RNG so if you are unlucky you could toss thousands of dollars and thousands of hours into this game and not have anything to show for it. Do people who pay have a massive advantage? Of course, but their "P2W" mechanics feed off the impulsive and those who struggle with addiction. It's all a gamble and you could end up with absolutely nothing.
However, the "Pay for Convenience" is quite strong as one must drop a hundred dollars for weight, inventory slots and pets (which will pick up loot).

Kakao has threatened suspend the accounts of guild leaders for not 'reigning in their guild members' in the official Kakao Discord despite having no evidence that those who have offended their Discord actually belongs to said guild.
As well, in the past, Kakao has claimed that they manually check all accounts for cheating/third party software before releasing bans, and thus they do not accept ban appeals. However in a recent light it has been revealed by Kakao themselves that they falsely banned several hundred accounts as their programs detected those who played on Steam were using third party software. Further proving that they have lied in the past about how they go about their bans and has caused the community to question how many users had been falesly banned in the past that could not appeal and how many have been flagged for third party software when their system is obviously faulty that it would flag Steam itself.
I myself have not been banned as I write this, but it certainly causes me to question what other lies the community has been fed over the years in regards to the game and how it is run and handled.

It has the potential to be a great game, as the combat, graphics and world are some of the best in MMO of the decade, however the incapability of both Kakao and Pearl Abyss rears their ugly head every day. Because of this, I do not recommend this game to new players.
Was this review helpful? Yes No Funny

Comments are disabled for this review.

Last edited:
I'm trying this game for the 1st time I wanted to try it 3 years ago before it was on Steam picked up the started edition don't plan on putting 1K hours in maybe 1-2 hours.
Just want to see what it's all about even though its Korean.

Got to level 11 or something in the tutorial area. Main complaint isn't the combat it's the interface. The game is good looking but I wouldn't want to live there monsters are more forgettable and hide in the bad looking grass. I wonder how clunky the other characters play I just chose a Bezerker cause it looked cool. I like the autofollow for quests where you can just sit back and let the character follow the next quest marker. The NPCs were talking to me and they seem like they are on drugs or something just real unatural maybe your suppose to laugh at them behind the computer screen I just don't know.

20190418100759_3.jpg
20190418101214_1.jpg
20190418092428_1.jpg

I got my refund spent 110 minutes playing the game I said in the refund the game isn't fun just makes my blood pressure go up.

I played this for almost 2 years after it came to NA, I ended up selling my account for a hefty sum to get out, had an extremely geared Valkyrie with PEN and TET pieces. The only other time in my life where I've gotten as sucked in was WoW 2004-2006. I loved the server atmosphere and community in BDO.

The performance is only really trash during sieges and massive guild wars for territory. You have to turn your graphics down substantially, I was playing at 1440p with a 1080ti at the time and fps was pretty bad during war.

A lot of people have insane amounts of playtime because you will fall behind if you aren't AFK fishing for fragments 24/7.

You can work the stack enhancement system to your advantage with alts, but it's still extremely punishing (destroyed accessories, losing TRI back to PRI). At one time I had 140~ stacks on my main, 90~ and several alts in the 30-60 range.

I was interested in trying it, but the sandbox nature is a pretty big turn off for me. I want my games to have more than a limited structure to it and I've never been interested in role playing. I grabbed it while it's free to at least check it out, though.

Back