Black Desert Online

Today is the Steam launch. Striker class comes out today also.

New trailer for Kamasylvia.

So is this game any good? Is it really p2w as most ppl claim it to be?

Are you the type that has to save one of every ingredient or material that you find? Then you're going to find that you need to buy more bank space. So it will be P2W for convenience for you.

If you just collect what you're currently building then you will have enough bank space from doing the quests that give bank and bag space. The game isn't P2W.

You can spend $15 a month on a 30 day temporary bank and bag space buff (value pack) that gives you the ability to dye your gear with some of the available dyes. The best looking dyes come from buying random dye packs from the cash shop. People can and often do sell these on the auction house. The P2W part of the value pack buff is that when you sell items on the auction house, you get a larger percentage back on each sale. The auction house keeps a certain percentage of each sale with or without the value pack buff. That is the most P2W aspect of the game. Personally I could care less, but some people get upset about this. I just see this as people giving the developer $15 a month.

Some of the cash shop outfits give you nice buffs like the ability to swim faster or 10% combat experience. Those are considered P2W. People can buy SOME of these and sell them on the auction house. Most of my characters wear these as I just bid on them and have won some. Thank you P2W people for giving me free outfits!

Pets give 3% buffs and can automatically loot items for you. The automatic looting is AWESOME! They are P2W as they are only given out freely for events; otherwise you have to buy them with real money. Unless you find a P2W dreamer selling them on the auction house. I have yet to win a pet as people LOVE them. You can breed these P2W pets and yes you have to buy each pet that is bred. Cuteness sells!

Lastly I mentioned that people can buy certain things from the cash shop and sell them on the auction house. These people are so stupid. The "good" stuff costs 1.5 billion to 3.5 billion gold. I guess you can buy lesser gear, but what dummy would want to do that with REAL MONEY? A $30 cash shop outfit sells for $24 million. It is ridiculous to think that someone would think buying outfits for $30, and only getting $24 million in gold, will get them end game gear that literally costs billions each on the auction house. You can get a ton of gold chopping trees and selling wood. Or mining. Or making armor, costumes, and weapons. Or hiring workers for free and letting them chop wood, mining, fishing, etc. Or breeding horses. So many other things you can do to make money like killing mobs that give you skill points also.

So is the game P2W? Depends on how you play. If you just play the game as intended; it isn't. If you want to skip ahead, you can in small increments. $24 million can get you close to a +15 enchanted yellow regular weapon but normally those go for $30 - $35 million. A boss weapon starts at $9 million (damage is too small at starter levels to be relevant) and a +15 version is going to be a helluva lot more than $30 million. :) Everything starts to get "good" at +15 and above. The entry level boss weapon enchanted to Pri is going to be pushing 100 million at least. Then there is Duo, Tri, TET, and PENTA. I was looking at TET regular boss weapons and they were pushing $1.3 billion on the auction house. Penta was 3.5 billion. That is the blue boss starter weapons. There are yellow versions that are much more expensive.

What you can do to make the game pay for convenience? Buy costumes for $30. Sell them for $24 million. Buy a +15 yellow regular weapon. Keep spending $30 and buy other gear enchanted to +15. Remember that +15 regular armor costs just as much as the weapons. Then you can "skip" farming the easiest mobs and "progress" to killing the next level of mobs. You surely won't be killing players in higher end gear with it. The easiest mobs drop items that you can sell on the auction house for good money to put towards enchanting your gear to Pri, Duo, TET, and Penta. So in the end you can P2W skip the first 15 levels of enchanting as you start off with+15 yellow normal gear. Honestly if you bought or made a boat and fished for some hours, you can buy your gear in no time. I guess you can say that you paid for that skip mechanic convenience. ;) The yellow boss gear without an enchant starts at 90 million plus. Good luck enchanting that gear without grinding for gold. It costs billions in materials to enchant it.

The costumes that give stats in the cash shop that can''t be sold on the auction house are the most P2W aspect of the game and the $15 value pack that saves on auction house fees is a close second. The rest of the stuff is slight and honestly who cares if a guy wants to catch up faster.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How fun is the game? Game is as fun as you want it to be. Killing mobs is fun as the game's combat is different from the average MMO. Here is a secret though. You don't really know how a class plays until you have experienced its Awakening Weapon game play that you unlock at level 56. The only thing you know about the class before level 56 is whether it is squishy or not. So my advice is to watch some videos of guys playing a class on Youtube and see if it fits your play style. I think the game is an INCREDIBLE value at $5. There is no way you can't get $5 of enjoyment out of the game. There is no monthly fee to play, so you can leave on a business trip, come back a week later and pickup on your character. I FINALLY did the Awakening quest chain on my Valkyrie and it's a lot more fun to play now. Well I have to figure it out again, but I'm having fun with it. I don't PvP as my gear sucks and real life has taken my free time to grind for gold. But even then the game is still fun for me. I recommend giving the game a $5 try. ;)

Last edited:
It's not pay to win, but if you don't buy a $30 costume from the shop you're going to look like a peasant. Literally.

Don't expect the game to give you many different looks from the armor you loot during playing the game.
What you look at lvl 1 is what you're going to look like at lvl 60.... Almost.

However it's definitely worth $5.

just hit 56 as a striker... in 1 day... FML. bed is calling me. Was also a good day for streaming. I started a new channel and a bunch of people came in to see whats up and a mildly active chat. ~415 seperate viewers aparently.

just hit 56 as a striker... in 1 day... FML. bed is calling me. Was also a good day for streaming. I started a new channel and a bunch of people came in to see whats up and a mildly active chat. ~415 seperate viewers aparently.

Should link your channel. ;)

Bytesgonewild. Nothing special. Waiting for my ryzen parts to come in before perfecti g everything

How did you do that? I want to level up a dark knight but I don't have so much time. My sorceress is lvl 50 and I want her at 56, but I think it's kinda slow :(

How did you do that? I want to level up a dark knight but I don't have so much time. My sorceress is lvl 50 and I want her at 56, but I think it's kinda slow :(
Gear and knowing the game. My striker at lvl 1 had like 140 ap and 248 dp. You also need to be smart about level gap between you and the mobs. Anything higher then 4 levels you won't be able to hit unless you stack accuracy and won't grind efficiently.

Milk tea is 8%
Loyalty shop scroll 50%
Exp helmet get 10%
Exp elixir 8%
I had 2x 1h 100% xp I was able to stack (daily reward)
I had some GM blessings laying around 10%.
Weekend xp bonus on all servers 100%

Gear and knowing the game. My striker at lvl 1 had like 140 ap and 248 dp. You also need to be smart about level gap between you and the mobs. Anything higher then 4 levels you won't be able to hit unless you stack accuracy and won't grind efficiently.

Milk tea is 8%
Loyalty shop scroll 50%
Exp helmet get 10%
Exp elixir 8%
I had 2x 1h 100% xp I was able to stack (daily reward)
I had some GM blessings laying around 10%.
Weekend xp bonus on all servers 100%

Thanks, I'll buy some weapon and then try to enchant it.

Korean version. Look how big it is at the end of the video.

5 vs 5 arena.

Last edited:
FUCK my new PC wont be ready for like a month.... Time to bust out my laptop with a 860m =[

Let me compare it to World of Warcraft as I played that game for over 5 years.

No dungeons.
No raids.
Thus nothing in the same vein as a 10, 20, or 40 man dungeon that gives epic quality loot.

What is here.

Questing that gives bonuses like inventory slots and intermediate gear, but zero experience towards leveling. Just like in WoW there is hamster wheel questing and killing the mobs to get the item will level you up. In the end it is much faster to just kill the mobs if racing to max level.

There is theft as in you can steal from a NPC. I got caught and I never thought about doing it again. :) Not sure if there is a penalty for it.

You can get carry on a conversation with a NPC and gain amity with them. You then spend that "currency" on weapons that the blacksmith NPC you are conversing with sells. You use these to repair your main weapon for example. There are other uses for it of course. That was one example.

There is an option for World PvP, but most of the time nobody engages in it as there is a penalty for killing too many players. With that said lots of people duel and there is even an arena and a dueling island now in the game. The arena supports 4 vs 4 I believe and maybe even more formats. Think of it as an elaborate WoW arena fight.

Guilds can capture and hold regions on the map. Sometimes the guild fights are 1 vs 1, but the larger regions are 3 vs 1, and I've seen 7 or 8 vs 1. The rewards are hundreds of millions in gold weekly per guild member for holding the largest castles.

For the sieges there is base building. The base isn't there unless it is during the scheduled server war time. Well you get to build it, so I guess that theoretically it is there, but invisible. I don't know really; my gear is too bad for real PvP. They have cannons that you can setup to rain hell on your enemies. You can bring supplies to repair a base. They have elephants that you can ride to battle. You can have your entire guild horse charge a section of a wooden base to bring the wall down fast, siege towers can be brought into the fight to scale a wall, etc. Siege is ridiculous!

Lots of material collecting in the world. So you grab your axe and start chopping trees, hoe to collect plants, syringe for blood, butcher knife for meat, etc. Then you can set a NPC worker that you hire and level up to create you a boat, costumes, run a nursery for siege elephants, make armor, jewelry, weapons, etc. You don't actually make the stuff yourself; the worker does. So it is important to pick one skilled in the crafting that you're interested in.

You can cook, do alchemy, enchant your gear, process materials that you collected in the world, etc yourself.

Fishing is its own profession and you can catch whales and kill sea monsters. In my post above there is a sea monster fight explained.

There are world bosses on global server timers that everyone on the server can join in on the fight to defeat. They drop the rarest and best gear in the game.

There are outdoor elite mobs that drop some of the best gear in the game. Of course it is rare also.

Enchanting is pure gambling. It deserves its own post.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed and informative reply. It sounds like the sieges are the end game here, which is pretty cool.

You mentioned boats, are there a lot of things to do on the sea? (Is the sea large?) Is there any form of piracy that can take place?

I appreciate your taking the time to share the information with me/us!

Thank you for the detailed and informative reply. It sounds like the sieges are the end game here, which is pretty cool.

You mentioned boats, are there a lot of things to do on the sea? (Is the sea large?) Is there any form of piracy that can take place?

I appreciate your taking the time to share the information with me/us!

Well there is sea PVP supposedly, but I haven't tried it. The sea is huge and full of hot spot areas for fishing. You can go whaling and the top 5 teams get loot such as rare loot. There are islands where it takes forever to get to, but has the best farming areas for money and experience. You can go diving and gather materials from the bottom of the sea.

Sea trailer

Underwater exploration.

Well there is sea PVP supposedly, but I haven't tried it. The sea is huge and full of hot spot areas for fishing. You can go whaling and the top 5 teams get loot such as rare loot. There are islands where it takes forever to get to, but has the best farming areas for money and experience. You can go diving and gather materials from the bottom of the sea.

Oh, Awesome! I'll need to load this back up again! I didn't play since I helped Dan out with the while RAF thing.

Came back to the game after a short break, Got my warrior to 58 with 166/178/233 stats. Tri ult greatsword is awesome. Currently waiting to get my Tri zarka.

I tried the 7 day free week thing earlier this year, and then kind of dropped off. Thought I'd re-invest and give this game a go again since then, and so far it seems pretty fun.

Unfortunately, I've been getting surprise, non-error related hard crashes to desktop out of the blue while playing (sometimes preceded by a freeze, sometimes just outright CTD) despite 'repairing' the game afterwards. I haven't tried re-installing (good grief, the download speed from the client/launcher installer is painfully slow for some reason). Besides that, and reading earlier posts in this thread to get acclimated, this is a pretty solid experience for me.

I'm trying to figure out the whole amity bit when it comes to conversations. I think I've been just randomly right clicking NPCs that are available to me in an effort to see what works. I've also been trying the whole improve 'strength' thing via lugging things from the trader - is there another way to increase it and/or does it matter how much weight matters to effectively increase this fitness attribute?

I tried the 7 day free week thing earlier this year, and then kind of dropped off. Thought I'd re-invest and give this game a go again since then, and so far it seems pretty fun.

Unfortunately, I've been getting surprise, non-error related hard crashes to desktop out of the blue while playing (sometimes preceded by a freeze, sometimes just outright CTD) despite 'repairing' the game afterwards. I haven't tried re-installing (good grief, the download speed from the client/launcher installer is painfully slow for some reason). Besides that, and reading earlier posts in this thread to get acclimated, this is a pretty solid experience for me.

I'm trying to figure out the whole amity bit when it comes to conversations. I think I've been just randomly right clicking NPCs that are available to me in an effort to see what works. I've also been trying the whole improve 'strength' thing via lugging things from the trader - is there another way to increase it and/or does it matter how much weight matters to effectively increase this fitness attribute?

Try that website for the best possible combinations. Never used it, but I should. ;)
http://bdotools.com/

I just grab a pack and set my character on an automated path around a town. If I remember during the day, I will tab back in and eat a food buff. This levels your health attribute. Every 30 minutes you can consume another meal while walking. If I leave the game maximized, I will leave a Q-Tip under the shift key. That way I can run when it is off CD. ;)

Edited to change the tip to Shift key. :)

Last edited:
Try that website for the best possible combinations. Never used it, but I should. ;)
http://bdotools.com/

I just grab a pack and set my character on an automated path around a town. If I remember during the day, I will tab back in and eat a food buff. This levels your health attribute. Every 30 minutes you can consume another meal while walking. If I leave the game maximized, I will leave a Q-Tip under the shift key. That way I can run when it is off CD. ;)

Edited to change the tip to Shift key. :)

Gave that link a try with Siuta in Heidal, but didn't really gain any Amity despite succeeding. Actually, now that I think about it, I wasn't exactly sure what I should have been aiming for in the first place! LOL.

As for the grabbing of a pack and doing the automated path, thought I had this down pat. I thought I'd be clever and have BDO run minimized in the background while I do other things and have my character go on an autoloop in town, but discovered that every now and then BDO will close out / disconnect. Guess I should tab back into the game every now and then if there's a separate activity timer built in.

Anyone wanna buy my lvl 58 account + others? cheap

Huh. Super strange... I was AFK a bit at some outpost and was leaning against a fortification wall and came back to see a string of messages from strangers - I don't know if they're RP'ing or something, but caught my player's name mentioned once about "them spotting us", or whatever the heck that means. Decided to move on and wrap up a couple of quests further west (decided to finally start using that horse I got) and I couldn't find what I was supposed to attack. Combat music going on, and some weird message kept popping up about "non-participants may be attacked" or the like.

I guess this means I should just head back and stay in Heidel.

EDIT: Oh, scratch that. Looks like there was a Node War going on. When there was a suggestion to "flee to another channel", I ended up thinking an in-game 'chat channel', which definitely was not the case. Didn't realize they meant switch to another Server that isn't #1. Whoops!

Well, I need a grindy game and this looks like a it fits the bill. And it's only $10 to give it a whirl so here we go.

This game has a very old school UO vibe to it with the way skills and crafting appear to work which is awesome. It's freaking overwhelming but I think I could love this game

Back