Bitcoin Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah 5830's get you good numbers for the price. I run about 250mh/s with them, and I dont even overclock them much.

Hashing power is mostly about the number of shaders your card has. The 58xx series cards have more shaders respectively then th 68xx cards.

Yep, mostly a function of (wide x fast).

This seems to be the case with RC5-72 and GPGPU Password Cracking as well.

When/if bitcoin mining crashes, 5830's are going to be worth nothing. The 6950's seem like a sweet spot for a modern, usable card that will still hold it's value to people besides miners. I don't think you could go wrong picking up reference 2GB cards that unlock.

When/if bitcoin mining crashes, 5830's are going to be worth nothing. The 6950's seem like a sweet spot for a modern, usable card that will still hold it's value to people besides miners. I don't think you could go wrong picking up reference 2GB cards that unlock.

That's fine. I dont plan on selling my 5830 after this craze is over. It's a nice backup card.

I originally thought BTC was going to crash. However, after the Mt.Gox hack and seeing bitcoins hold their value, Im not so sure anymore. I'm surprised at the resilience. I figured the bottom would fall out but now I dont see how it would completely. The value may remain volatile, but I think they'll retain some worth over the long term.

That said, I only bought a $109 card, I wasnt THAT sure.

My thinking is similar to those posts above. I am suspicious that mining won't be profitable long term, so I kept my investment relatively low at around $169 and went with a 6870 for my HTPC. I would have liked to get a 6950 but they're considerably more expensive than that

That's fine. I dont plan on selling my 5830 after this craze is over. It's a nice backup card.

the difference is that there are people with large numbers of 5830s that will be trying to dump them on the market all at once, they will be really, really cheap and XFX brand cards will probably get sold first over any other brands because of the double lifetime warranty...

hell, one picture here shows a garage filled with at least 100 5770s, the used market for ATI cards is gonna be insane...

XFX brand cards will probably get sold first over any other brands because of the double lifetime warranty...

Makes the 3 XFX 5830s I bought for $80 each after rebate and selling off the Shogun 2 codes on ebay look pretty good.

I'm surprised at the resilience.

I can't say I'm too surprised. I think most people realize that the Mt. Gox situation was entirely due to Mt. Gox's lax security and had really nothing to do with the security of bitcoin itself.

Though I do think if Mt. Gox can come back stronger than ever and win over the doubters, it should help boost bitcoin value...which is great since the price has already gradually worked its way up to $15 today.

My thinking is similar to those posts above. I am suspicious that mining won't be profitable long term, so I kept my investment relatively low at around $169 and went with a 6870 for my HTPC. I would have liked to get a 6950 but they're considerably more expensive than that

yep, last summer? I jumped on a hot deal (XFX 5850 + XXX Edition 650w) for about $190 after the two rebates, now one 5850 costs that alone...lol

I had it running in one system and mixed xfire in another (4890 + 4870), for heat and powah saving purposes (let alone the extra hashes) I bought an XFX 6850 with $45 USD ($25 after MIR) and 4.189 BTC (spendbitcoins.com) to replace the power hungry mining monster, now I have less heat, use less powah (all mining gear in one rig now), and I have a cheap upgrade for my kids when this is all said and done...

not to mention I'll have 20-25 BTC to cash in when they're worth a gazillion dollars each...lol

I see lots of mention of SDK 2.1. I am not sure how to check what version I have installed and how do I installed 2.1 if I have something else? I have the newest drivers 11.6 I believe. I am sure I am probably running higher than 2.1?

I see lots of mention of SDK 2.1. I am not sure how to check what version I have installed and how do I installed 2.1 if I have something else? I have the newest drivers 11.6 I believe. I am sure I am probably running higher than 2.1?

If you did an Express install of any of the recent CAT's your running SDK 2.4. If you wanted to try SDK 2.1 you'd have to uninstall 2.4 first and then you need to keep in mind that 2.1 is only going to work on 5XXX series cards. If you have a 6950 or something you can't install 2.1.

There was a huge number of blocks on BTC guild again. When I looked at it last night I had .7 coins in 24h and now I'm up at 1.9.

It's a good time to be in btc guild that's for sure. Ive been making almost 5 coins a day instead of my normal 3.

I hope our luck keeps holding out :)

Well my pool is getting all the shit, then. My last block was about 7 friggin hours, 5 before that, close to 5 before that. Ive only made .24 since last night.

If you did an Express install of any of the recent CAT's your running SDK 2.4. If you wanted to try SDK 2.1 you'd have to uninstall 2.4 first and then you need to keep in mind that 2.1 is only going to work on 5XXX series cards. If you have a 6950 or something you can't install 2.1.

ok thanks. I have two 5850s

This is nutty (clickable):

Wouldn't want that much floating in the air. I think I would hack up fourof those coolermaster mobo trays @ $12 a pop.

That's insane. I hope that person was an early adopter or the price of coins surge soon, otherwise that was a poor investment.

I think how they have it set up is more insane. The video cards are not even screwed into the L-bracket...bump the table and that all comes crashing down (harder than the bitcoin market ;) )

Everyone talking about how miners and their hardware will become unprofitable/obsolete. Please read this well and realize that mining will always generate income and their hashing power will still be needed, even after the network has minted the last 21 millionth coin. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees

Also something not mentioned in the WIKI: Minimum transaction fees can be changed by the project's developers. The upcoming 3.23 version of the bitcoin client reduced minimum transaction fees from 0.01 to 0.0005btc

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15533.0
Full git changelog:

Dean Lee (1):
Updated Chinese Simp translation

Doug Huff (3):
Fix rfc1918 and rfc3927 compliance for ignoring non-internet-routable host
Add common temp files to .gitignore.
Demystify a few magic numbers.

Han Lin Yap (2):
Added Swedish translation
Remove unused variable

Jeff Garzik (4):
Bump version to 0.3.23.
Reduce minimum TX fee for new transactions, to 0.0005.
Lower minimum relay TX fee to 0.0001 (from 0.0005) BTC.
Add minimal release process docs.

Matt Corallo (1):
Fix CPU Usage bug when using -nolisten and have no connections.

Nils Schneider (1):
create keypool in LoadWallet()

Pieter Wuille (3):
Update transactions already in the wallet when rescanning.
Fix for small change outputs
Faster timeout when connecting

Last edited:
They're trying to give me a negative balance so I'm ditching that account and I switched over to my backup miners set up for slush's pool. I got out my bonus btc an hour before they started putting negatives.

This is nutty (clickable):

Wouldn't want that much floating in the air. I think I would hack up fourof those coolermaster mobo trays @ $12 a pop.
Pure insanity. Notice the row of 6970s has one laying on its side, roughly around the CPU area.

I'm half surprised the fans on those GPUs (which surely are working at or near 100% due to the heat) don't vibrate those cards right off the brackets.

Ouch - I'm glad I got out of BTCGuild. And here I was complaining about my little pool's bad luck.

Pure insanity. Notice the row of 6970s has one laying on its side, roughly around the CPU area.

I'm half surprised the fans on those GPUs (which surely are working at or near 100% due to the heat) don't vibrate those cards right off the brackets.

The weight is most likely keeping them down. Reference 6970/6950s are quite heavy. But I did get a mental picture of clothes being blown by the wind, swinging on a clothesline, or something like this lol:
money-clothesline.jpg

The fan's on the reference 6970 can hit over 5700rpm at max and are quite impressive. I would want to hear what that sounds like. And in other news the 4 6990's in the back are cooling one more GPU and with the OC mode switch run at the same clocks. I wonder how the fans in the middle are getting cool air with that much hot air coming out both ends and no fans moving air around the room. Or maybe that's a box fan package in the background.

Ouch - I'm glad I got out of BTCGuild. And here I was complaining about my little pool's bad luck.

Not sure why that's bad, if you cashed out before the bug was corrected then you basically got free awards. It's your own choice to just take it and leave :p

So about how long does it take to recieve awards from slush's pool? I requested them last night and my wallet is still empty....
As for BTC Guild, I suppose it's a good thing I havn't withdrawn yet today, lol.

So about how long does it take to recieve awards from slush's pool? I requested them last night and my wallet is still empty....
As for BTC Guild, I suppose it's a good thing I havn't withdrawn yet today, lol.

You sure your wallet is up and running correctly, and has downloaded all blocks?

They're trying to give me a negative balance so I'm ditching that account and I switched over to my backup miners set up for slush's pool. I got out my bonus btc an hour before they started putting negatives.

Come on, don't be a d-bag and rob from the pool.

I'm curious how he's getting 6 6970s or 4 6990s to work on one motherboard. I thought getting more than 4 GPUs to work on a single board was next to impossible.

2-3 hours to go for mtgox relaunch. The nerd in me is excited, specially when we'll be able to watch it happening live in real time. By the way, if you don't know about Sierracharts, I recommend getting it. Instructions and download links are here: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=6019.0;all
This is what it does:
blwqv.jpg

SO Im not sure whether I expect a HUGE drop in prices or a relatively stable rollout. THis will be interesting for sure.

I'm curious how he's getting 6 6970s or 4 6990s to work on one motherboard. I thought getting more than 4 GPUs to work on a single board was next to impossible.
I think it's 8 GPUs, hence the 4 6990's. And as far as stealing from the pool, do they really want me to work off a negative balance? No way :eek:

yikes those cards aren't even screwed down. I'd hate to see him catch any of those wires and have a card fall wrong on the mobo...

If you're trying to game off of it, it's doable with the right board. However, he's using pci-e extenders and using them as single cards instead of crossfire. His limit is the amount of pci-e slots he has.

Have to admit that rack is pretty sweet. I would be sure to screw them down though. Those pci-e cable extenders are cool too. I can't seem to find any at reasonable prices without buying them from china.

You sure your wallet is up and running correctly, and has downloaded all blocks?
Don't I just download the bitcoin app, and then copy the code that it enerates and paste that into the site as my wallet ID? Or did I just make a total noob mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back