• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

that's way more than I expected them to do though mh/s wise... I had no idea that they were that high... i don't understand why they are... I know streaming processors have a lot to do with it but mine 6850's have 960 and those only have like 1120 so there isn't that big of a difference there...
 
I bought most of my 5870s for $200ish locally from Craigslist/Kijiji type ads. Living in Canada, a lot of the auctions on ebay won't ship here or they give me a ridiculously inflated shipping rate when I know it's much cheaper with real USPS rates. Ebayers always take advantage of "international shipping" when I know they are just pocketing most of it or being ignorant.

I got two 2GB Sapphire 6950s that won't unlock for $200 each as well. They are not as good a deal MH/$ wish as they only do 350MH/s overclocked when some of my 5870s do 475MH/s (god bless reference cards) but I figure they will retain their value longer when sold on the secondary market that actually wants them for gaming.

As it stands, if something catastrophic happens to BTC, I know that with BF3 and Skyrim coming out, I'm seeing a lot of posts on local forums about people asking about what to buy in terms of gaming PCs when they haven't bought one for 5-6 years and I can easily package a bunch of cards, CPUs, mobos, PSUs, etc. off as complete systems to people who want them for gaming.
 
I have never heard of 5870's doing 475MH/s that is ridiculous! as far as if something happened to BTC i was thinking the exact same thing as you ^
 
I have never heard of 5870's doing 475MH/s that is ridiculous! as far as if something happened to BTC i was thinking the exact same thing as you ^

Mine do about 465MH/s at 1000/350 clocks using cgminer.
 
I have never heard of 5870's doing 475MH/s that is ridiculous! as far as if something happened to BTC i was thinking the exact same thing as you ^

The other day I bought a reference XFX 5870 used from local classifieds and it ran at 1075MHz. (Was doing 480-485MH/s) I clocked it down to 1050MHz for long term stability and lowering the voltage a great deal for a longer card life.

I also used to have a Sapphire reference 5870 that did 1050MHz as well at 1250mv. That card also did 475MH/s. I picked it up from a retail store in their clearance section as it was a RMA return. I had to return it though because the fan was vibrating like crazy and the bearing was about to go.

This is with cgminer. With Phoenix, they are only in the 460s.
 
Damn Solidcoin went from 0.019 when I started mining again last night down to 0.015 now. I hope this isn't the beginning of a new crash.
 
Damn.. We really need some more hashing power in SimpleCoin.. we are sub 30GH right now, need to be back in the 50ish range..

Any one wanna flip over and help us hit a block?
 
Damn.. We really need some more hashing power in SimpleCoin.. we are sub 30GH right now, need to be back in the 50ish range..

Any one wanna flip over and help us hit a block?

I could flip my extra miners over from solidcoin. Seems the solidcoin/simplecoin web stats are being wonky again. Getting huge error php error messages:
Code:
Warning: array_key_exists() expects parameter 2 to be array, boolean given in /home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/stats.php on line 266 Call Stack: 0.0001 329668 1. {main}() /home/mike/simplecoin.us/accountdetails.php:0 0.0001 330296 2. include('/home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/header.php') /home/mike/simplecoin.us/accountdetails.php:20 0.0091 695188 3. include('/home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/universalChecklogin.php') /home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/header.php:28 0.0114 697984 4. Stats->userhashrate() /home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/universalChecklogin.php:44 0.0123 698236 5. array_key_exists() /home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/stats.php:266 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/mike/simplecoin.us/stats.php on line 75 Call Stack: 0.0001 330104 1. {main}() /home/mike/simplecoin.us/stats.php:0 Warning: array_key_exists() expects parameter 2 to be array, boolean given in /home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/stats.php on line 255 Call Stack: 0.0001 330104 1. {main}() /home/mike/simplecoin.us/stats.php:0

Not showing any stats. Unfortunately, some of my miners are a pooled effort among friends (I mine for them since I have the lowest electricity rate) so I have a responsibility to get them a steady income which means I have to use a bigger pool like BTC Guild now after they were unhappy with the block from hell last week. Bigger pool balances out the bad luck with the good luck much faster. A bad block only lasts a few hours.
 
Last edited:
I could flip my extra miners over from solidcoin. Seems the solidcoin/simplecoin web stats are being wonky again. Getting huge error php error messages:
Code:
Warning: array_key_exists() expects parameter 2 to be array, boolean given in /home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/stats.php on line 266 Call Stack: 0.0001 329668 1. {main}() /home/mike/simplecoin.us/accountdetails.php:0 0.0001 330296 2. include('/home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/header.php') /home/mike/simplecoin.us/accountdetails.php:20 0.0091 695188 3. include('/home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/universalChecklogin.php') /home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/header.php:28 0.0114 697984 4. Stats->userhashrate() /home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/universalChecklogin.php:44 0.0123 698236 5. array_key_exists() /home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/stats.php:266 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/mike/simplecoin.us/stats.php on line 75 Call Stack: 0.0001 330104 1. {main}() /home/mike/simplecoin.us/stats.php:0 Warning: array_key_exists() expects parameter 2 to be array, boolean given in /home/mike/simplecoin.us/includes/stats.php on line 255 Call Stack: 0.0001 330104 1. {main}() /home/mike/simplecoin.us/stats.php:0

Not showing any stats. Unfortunately, some of my miners are a pooled effort among friends (I mine for them since I have the lowest electricity rate) so I have a responsibility to get them a steady income which means I have to use a bigger pool like BTC Guild now after they were unhappy with the block from hell last week. Bigger pool balances out the bad luck with the good luck much faster. A bad block only lasts a few hours.

Sorry about the stats, replication hung up. Only the stats readouts are affected in that situation, no pool or payout calculations are affected. I'm looking into a better monitor for the mysql slaves.
 
Rebuilt and restarted bitcoind, it had a steady memory leak and was starting to eat into swap and slow responses. That said, the outage should have been around 1minute.
 
It's about time to upgrade my main system and I'm having some crazy thoughts. :D But first I need to know how bitcoin mining works with multiple video cards. Do you crossfire them, or not? Also has anyone done the math regarding stuff like "four 5770s are better than two 6950s" or whatever in terms of power draw and dollar per Mhash/s or whatever. I can look it all up and do the math, but I assume someone already has.
 
Last edited:
It's about time to upgrade my main system and I'm having some crazy thoughts. :D But first I need to know how bitcoin mining works with multiple video cards. Do you crossfire them, or not? Also has anyone done the math regarding stuff like "four 5770s are better than two 6950s" or whatever in terms of power draw and dollar per Mhash/s or whatever. I can look it all up and do the math, but I assume someone already has.

Nope, No need to.. No benefits.. All mine are on 1x slots and hash the same as on an x16

While your MMV, this site breaks down most all cards and flags and hash rates on different OS's. No amount of math will really tell you exactly what your gonna get.. In my first rig I have 3x 5830 Extremes and 2 of them clock up to a 350MHash, while the other wont hit over 301.. Too many variables.. Right now is not a good time to invest in the hardware unless you can get it cheap used
 
I hope you are wrong about that last part... ^^^

wrong how?
Hardware costs havent dropped enough to make up for the huge difficulty increase int he last couple months, any noobs would be better off either waiting for the 7XXX series to come out and either grab those or the 5XXX and 6XXX cards will get cheaper. People are still selling 5X and 6X for only like 10$ under retail because they are "Hard to find"
 
holy christ.. *does happy dance*

Wait.. does this mean another epic long block is due?

Is there a way to see how much BTC we've earned from each block? Like the block statistic feature at BTC guild?
 
Heh, this is probably a terrible idea but damn that would be funny to see. :D

(6 single slot 5770s)

ulS6W.jpg

jZpNJ.jpg


And of course a very "airy" case where you can drop 4 120mm fans on the top of them all (side is fully modular/rearrange-able)

lyk4j.jpg


It'd require like an 1100 watt PSU and you'd probably want to duct AC onto it. But how many people can brag they've got SIX VIDEO CARDS in one machine? :D
 
Lanboy is not a good case for cooling. Check out any real review of it.

You would be better off just getting an open test bench setup.

And anyway, 5770 is only 800 shaders, right? You would have basically the same performance running 4 5870s...and it would probably use less power and make less noise, to boot.
 
If you are on a budget, ditch the case and buy or build an open air case. MyOpenPC has a nice basic open acrylic case for $44.

And thanks for the blocks Mike, much appreciated!!

On a side note, I ordered 2 more rigs w/o video cards. Have to wait until I find a deal on 8x of something.
 
holy christ.. *does happy dance*

Wait.. does this mean another epic long block is due?

Is there a way to see how much BTC we've earned from each block? Like the block statistic feature at BTC guild?
If you mined the entire block, you can calculate it in a around about way. Just divide (your shares / total shares) * 50. If you didn't mine the entire block, then the calc could be off as payout is only on the last 90x,xxx shares.
 
Lanboy is not a good case for cooling. Check out any real review of it.

You would be better off just getting an open test bench setup.

And anyway, 5770 is only 800 shaders, right? You would have basically the same performance running 4 5870s...and it would probably use less power and make less noise, to boot.

Finding the 5870s though is key, and it might even cost more. :p According to a power supply calculator the 5770s would be a about 200 watts lower too. (yeah they aren't exact) Anyway, it's just a fun idea.
 
I run my miners on water so the extra cost of a $50 universal block comes into play which makes single high hash cards even more valuable to me, otherwise I'd have quite a few 6870's in route.
 
well hopefully I'll have all 8 x 6850's and my 1 x 6950 running on my new setup tonight... can't wait to see what I'm pulling in... I'm guessing somewhere around 2 Gh/s with my brother pulling in 3 Gh/s (8x6870's 3x6950's) we'll be at 5 Gh/s in our apartment (CRAZY!)
 
I'm using GUIMiner with my main to Simple and my backup to DeepBit, is there anyway to test the failover function?
 
Lanboy is not a good case for cooling. Check out any real review of it.

You would be better off just getting an open test bench setup.

And anyway, 5770 is only 800 shaders, right? You would have basically the same performance running 4 5870s...and it would probably use less power and make less noise, to boot.

Six 5770s = $600

Four 5870s = $800

Six 5770s = 1200 MH/s

Four 5870s = 1600 MH/s

So 3 5870s would be more like what you would get for 6 5770s
 
Six 5770s = $600

Four 5870s = $800

Six 5770s = 1200 MH/s

Four 5870s = 1600 MH/s

So 3 5870s would be more like what you would get for 6 5770s

So 3 5870's cost the same as 6 5770's and actually you'd be gaining the same amt of MH/s. So I would go with the 5870's to utilize your space better, plus I would assume an energy savings going that route too.
 
god i hate sites like this. hacking up the original quote with over the top spin-terludes and repeated references to acts of domestic terrorism by the government? Someone pass the salt, I'll need a tablespoonful of it to go with this page :rolleyes:

Yea I'm the same way... gon't get me wrong I wouldn't doubt that the FBI could possibly be trying to get rid of bitcoin... But this site shows no specific evidence to show they are... I think salt isn't appropriate enough... boots for walking around in all the bull _____ is more appropriate here...
 
Back
Top