Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

the only reason I'm on simple is because of the [H] owner. There are better sites all the way around out there, but I like helping out a member of the [H]orde.
+1 I didn't want to join a faceless pool and contribute to a bitcoin compromise ( http://www.bitcoinminer.com/post/5328668205/deepbit-50-percent-threshold ).

I looked at Anandtech (no pool), ArsTechnica and H - decided I liked [ H ] the best (since both tsd and the bitcoin discussion thread were very active).

H8rs gonna H8 :D

The nutshell is that small pools wait longer for payouts.
While I dont deny the site has issues, they are getting worked out, and its nice to have the admin on hand.
The layout is all preference. If tsd would like to try and appease everyone, he could add in the readouts Lorien is talking about. No one will complain about having too much info as long as its tastefully added to the site. Any new pool is gonna have issues to work out.
Each pool has its own benefits.. Some love PPS, some dont.. The pool is reliable enough to work out good for me.

And no, I wasnt saying other pools are dishonest.. Just that I would trust a 10yr [H] member over a random pool owner.

It does take longer to get a payout, but the payout is about the same. In the 17 days I have been on simplecoin, I have made about .4 btc more per day vs arsbitcoin pps pool.

It does take longer to get a payout, but the payout is about the same. In the 17 days I have been on simplecoin, I have made about .4 btc more per day vs arsbitcoin pps pool.

you cant pay out estimates or confirms until you hit a new block and the estimates are confirmed 120 times.... Low hash rate just makes it take longer to hit new blocks..

Its not really that they are slower, however you cannot cash out as frequently as the blocks are not solved/found as fast.

I understand how payout works. A standard small pool payout is just slower than a larger normal pool, or PPS pool, and obviously the instant payout pools.

Taking an hour or two to find a block in a 600ghash+ pool, you will get payed out far sooner than a 80hr+ block in a 30ghash pool

Just sayin :p

I understand how payout works. A standard small pool payout is just slower than a larger normal pool, or PPS pool, and obviously the instant payout pools.
Taking an hour or two to find a block in a 600ghash+ pool, you will get payed out far sooner than a 80hr+ block in a 30ghash pool
Just sayin :p

Yeah, my bad.. I read your statements as "It doesnt take longer......"

And a moment of silence for Dookey....
He just threw his 6950s/6970 up for sale..

So I just read and skimmed through a dozen or so pages on here and another Bitcoin forum and I have to ask...

Is it really worth running multiple, sometimes more than a dozen, high end video cards to produce digital currency? I have to imagine the electric bill is outrageous. This really is all fascinating. I wish I would of known about this years ago when it all started up.

So I just read and skimmed through a dozen or so pages on here and another Bitcoin forum and I have to ask...

Is it really worth running multiple, sometimes more than a dozen, high end video cards to produce digital currency? I have to imagine the electric bill is outrageous. This really is all fascinating. I wish I would of known about this years ago when it all started up.

Long story short, If you have the resources, do it..
If you plan to buy equipment now, be prepared to take a loss or take a very long time to pay off.. It seems every day are margins get a bit slimmer, but at any moment it could change.

I actually offloaded my rigs to a coworker who had an unused bedroom and much cheaper electricity so I just pay him cost + a bit for maintenance each month to run them for me. I dont plan on being the next bitcoin millionaire, but they make me about 500$/mo - 60$ in cost, which would almost be a house payment here in Ohio.. Which I plan on looking to by in March next year.. BTC is giving me supplemental income so that I can put down at least 10% on a house next year.

Some of the rigs I've seen are just amazing. Entire garages filled with GPUs, 54 of them to be exact.

I bet that'll run Crysis...

I bet that'll run Crysis...

Not on mine it wont :D
All my cards are hooked up to PCIE 1x slots as its cheaper to buy boards with several 1x's than triple or quad x-fire/SLI boards.. *pokes at side of head*

I'm always juggling between BTC Guild and Simplecoin. I currenly have CGminer with Simplecoin as the primary and BTC Guild set as the failover pool.

I'm not sure if I want to try load balancing or round robin as I don't know how that will affect the non-PPS nature (will I lose out on shares?).

On one hand, some of my cards are a pooled effort, purchased by friends and installed into my systems so I have a responsibility to get them the most reliable and constant income rate in which having a big pool helps.

On the other hand, I like the fact that tsd responds and replies so quickly to my PMs here and you get much more attention than on a bigger pool.

I'm always juggling between BTC Guild and Simplecoin. I currenly have CGminer with Simplecoin as the primary and BTC Guild set as the failover pool.

I'm not sure if I want to try load balancing or round robin as I don't know how that will affect the non-PPS nature (will I lose out on shares?).

On one hand, some of my cards are a pooled effort, purchased by friends and installed into my systems so I have a responsibility to get them the most reliable and constant income rate in which having a big pool helps.

On the other hand, I like the fact that tsd responds and replies so quickly to my PMs here and you get much more attention than on a bigger pool.

Go rotate if you want even shares, the failover and load balanched don't seem to work right in the 1.6.x releases. Very unreliable results (just watch my miners jump between btc & sc).

The guy i know has 50 rigs,each with 1 HD6870,1 HD6950 and 1 HD6970 running :D
That's so inefficient. If you are serious about mining, if you don't have at least 4 cards per machine, you are doing it wrong and wasting a lot of money, especially 50 machines deep.

I just bought two new rigs($600 2x16x, 2x1x mobo, Sempron 140, 2gb ram, 1000w PUS) without video cards. Have to find a deal on video cards, and have another breaker installed and ran to my office before I can start the new machines up :(

heat is my problem right now.

have 2x5870 and 1x6950 running. have a rig with another 6950 just sitting there cuz I cant turn it on or my basement gets too hot.

the 5870 is supposed to be xfired in my main rig, but they get real toasty so I moved it to my spare. my spare can also do xfire, if I could get it somewhere COLD I just toss 2 cards in it and let her rip. but I am very wary to put it in the machine room at work due to ethical reservations. else I snag two more 5870's or used 6870s and let er rip.

I don't have much issue with heat. I have 8x5830 and 2x6950 in my office and they never get above 74C when the ac if off, 50-60C when the ac is on. I have my 2x6950 on my desk, not in a case, as I am still modding my Fractal Design XL for h2o. The 8x5830 are in a custom 80/20 Alum open case I made, which sits in front of an AC wall vent with a box fan in front of it pushing the cold air through the two rigs. Works out well when the AC runs.

Had a bad elec bill this month. Managed to go from 65kwh/day to 145kwh/day lol! $334 bill from June which was normal for summer, to a $701 bill in July! I did not set my AC to a schedule though, it was set on 71-73F all month, probably a bad idea since my AC cant keep up in the hot days we have been having.

That's so inefficient. If you are serious about mining, if you don't have at least 4 cards per machine, you are doing it wrong and wasting a lot of money, especially 50 machines deep.

I just bought two new rigs($600 2x16x, 2x1x mobo, Sempron 140, 2gb ram, 1000w PUS) without video cards. Have to find a deal on video cards, and have another breaker installed and ran to my office before I can start the new machines up :(
Not sure about the efficient factor since he pulls out something like a few dozens GH/s.

Something's happening,my miner can't connect to simplecoin pool.Looks like other guys are in the same trouble too.
8018795676d2df3c303d849927c85799.png

Yeah, I am getting a lot of rejected and communication errors. Tsd will fix soon I am sure :)

Yeah, haven't been able to connect to simplecoin in awhile

main sql server just died :mad:.. it's back up off main replication.

Thankfully I ordered a new main sql server... So there is less downtime than waiting on a replacement.

Stats not transistioned to the replicated box yet? Shows 1.9ghash total pool, 0 hash for me, but my miners are connected and working.

Stats not transistioned to the replicated box yet? Shows 1.9ghash total pool, 0 hash for me, but my miners are connected and working.

they should catch up. the stats have their own replication server, so as not to lockup the pools sql server. I changed the master, so they should jump over.

It could, or it can go back ;) pool should be good, even while I replace the main sql.

Even the backup has a backup....

I just checked it, it still having a comuication error
Perhaps I can came back in later evening and see
how are things
Till then......... Good luck with back up
Bye for now

Working now. Any idea when the SQL server first went down? How much downtime was there?

Working now. Any idea when the SQL server first went down? How much downtime was there?

Bad hardware. I've talked to the datacenter, I'm not going to have a replacement put in, since I'm already waiting on a new machine I was going to migrate to.

As for downtime. An hour or so down, plus another hour of intermittent issues.

I just picked up 4 of these, not ideal but should be worth close to 225 a piece OC'd

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121363R

900g/h for $200 :D

Not a bad deal at all.. Especially since they only pull about ~100w on load..
Could run 4 with a 550-600W PSU easily.. cheap way for people to intro into BTC.. Could build a whole loaded rig for about 400$.

only 2 left tho :-(
Omega, you might as well grab the last 2..

I just picked up 4 of these, not ideal but should be worth close to 225 a piece OC'd

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121363R

900g/h for $200 :D

That's some great Mhash/$ ratio, >4. Personally I consider those a little too slow to justify using an entire platform on, though. You have to remember that we are all in a rat race against difficulty increases and against each other's hash rate. The upside is that those cards will pay for themselves pretty quickly, giving you a solid base to keep expanding on.

I started preparing for the new AMD GPUs coming later this year and just picked up a new platform to move a bunch of my current cards onto. Grabbed an MSI 890FXA-GD70, Sempron cpu, ram, and a sapphire 5850 all for $250. If Bulldozer turns out to be a hit, I'll move the new AMD GPUs to that board (I plan on upgrading to the HD7K series anyways), grab a Bulldozer and make it my main rig.

P.S: Has anyone followed the recent discoveries about the mybitcoin debacle? If not let me know so I can give you all a run down of what's been uncovered. If proven true this is the kind of thing that would make Bernie Madoff proud.

Last edited:
P.S: Has anyone followed the recent discoveries about the mybitcoin debacle? If not let me know so I can give you all a run down of what's been uncovered. If proven true this is the kind of thing that would make Bernie Madoff proud.

Please enlighten us.

You piqued my interest.

Alright, typing it up as compact as I can. This thing has so many layers you'll have to eventually read the original threads which I'll link to. Come back to this post in a bit.

Back