Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

P.S: Has anyone followed the recent discoveries about the mybitcoin debacle? If not let me know so I can give you all a run down of what's been uncovered. If proven true this is the kind of thing that would make Bernie Madoff proud.

You mean the Bruce Wagner conspiracy?

@Omegas,
Good luck with those! I mean it!
I bought two of them about two months ago...and both are dead now! One died on day 32, the other about two weeks ago! Just got my RMA# today! Hopefully yours work out better!

You mean the Bruce Wagner conspiracy?

@Omegas,
Good luck with those! I mean it!
I bought two of them about two months ago...and both are dead now! One died on day 32, the other about two weeks ago! Just got my RMA# today! Hopefully yours work out better!

At least you made it before the 90 day warranty.

First off, here are a few names and a little background info:

Bruce Wagner = Creator and owner of OnlyOneTV.com, host of the bitcoin talk show on youtube. He promoted mybitcoin.com heavily on that show. He's also the person who organized the recent bitcoin conference in New York. He pretty much built himself up a reputation as being the most ardent supporter of bitcoins and gained the trust of many people in the bitcoin community.

Tom Williams = Creator and owner of mybitcoin.

Mybitcoin = The largest and most successful online bitcoin wallet service of its time created by Tom Williams.

Bold Funding = Company created by Bruce Wagner involved in a pretty high profile mortgage/foreclosure scam/fraud here in Chicago.
TodWilliams = A supposed client of Bold Funding.

What do all these names have in common? They all point to a single individual; Bruce Wagner.

This shit is going to be too long to type lol so I'm going to ninja a good portion of the summary posted at buttcoin.org. Here's a little taste of what's coming and remember the name Bruce Wagner.

Source: http://www.scribd.com/doc/63630294/Bruce-Wagner-Bold-Funding-Fraud-Judgement
image2fb.jpg

Source: http://mortgagefraudblog.com/perp-w...ny_fined_and_shut_down?tmpl=component&print=1
Illinois Foreclosure Rescue Company Fined and Shut Down

Following a lawsuit brought by Illinois Cook County State's Attorney Richard Devine, a fraudulent mortgage lending company has been fined $250,000 and banned from doing business in Illinois.

Bold Funding, Inc. and its owner-operator, Bruce Wagner, were found to have violated Illinois law by falsely promising to secure private funding for loans to save the homes of persons who were in foreclosure for a fee ranging from $300 to $6,670.

In Civil Court on April 18, 2006, Judge Julia Nowicki ordered Bold Funding and Bruce Wagner to refund $115,858 in application fees to 74 former customers who never received any funding from the Defendants. Bold Funding and Bruce Wagner were also fined $250,000, and the Defendants were permanently banned from providing any services in Illinois related to residential mortgage loans.

"The taking of monies from vulnerable homeowners in foreclosure under false pretenses is reprehensibleX," Devine said. "Any company which purports to help homeowners who are in foreclosure must follow the law and fulfill its promises to assist its customers."

Update: Screw it. It's going to be hard to improve upon the dog act buttcoin did summarizing this whole thing. I'm just gonna link you to it. Be warned the guy behind that site [strike=1]HATES[/s] DESPISES bitcoins and wants to see anyone involved with them fail. I read that site because researching both sides of the coin(for and against) helps you get a better picture of things.

http://buttcoin.org/has-bruce-wagner-pulled-off-the-financial-biggest-scam-on-the-bitcoin-community

Last edited:
G'damn man...
VERY interesting read..

Hope the fucker gets raped with a cactus..

For all the times hes been convicted of fraud among everything else, why is this man not in jail for life?

Last edited:
The 3 open box ones I have are 90 days.

Ahh! I bought the New ones...@ full price! Maybe I'll get lucky, and they won't be able to find any 5770s in the service center, and they'll just send me back a pair of 5830s! ;)

Last edited:
30 days for newegg return. But from what I understand ASUS warranties are 3 years based off the production date on the card. either way they are selling on ebay for around $75 right now so I can just dump-em for extra cash if I'm not satisfied.

G'damn man...
VERY interesting read..

Hope the fucker gets raped with a cactus..

For all the times hes been convicted of fraud among everything else, why is this man not in jail for life?

maybe for something, not for this

One of the main ways the government coerces the use of its cotton tax coupons (fraudulently called "dollars" despite the fact that "dollar" is defined as a specific weight of silver in the law) is by bestowing the status of legal tender on them. Transactions in "dollars" have recourse to the courts. You can exchange many things for value, but only the government's ponzi currency has recourse to the courts in the event of a dispute.

Dude WTF are you talking about? Printing more worthless pape...errr. Quantitative easing will solve all our problems, durrrrr. Fire up those printing presses!, our children's children labor will take care of the tab.

What's the maximum safe power draw one can get from a typical room or garage with 5 outlets in it without having to call an electrician? :)

Umm, that's not the question you should be asking...the number of outlets is meaningless for the most part.
Check the amperage of the circuit breaker for the room in question (go over to the circuit breaker box and read it off the switch). Then use Ohm's law to calculate the rest.

Isin't it usually something like 1200W per breaker?

I just got done fucking around with linuxcoin and it's a POS. Very little OC options and buggy as hell. Not going to bother with anything else run off a USB flash drive as it's bound to be just as buggy and I don't want to flash the cards beforehand as i'm slowly selling my 6950/6970's for for used 5870's making $100 or for swapping the cards and keeping the same performance mining wise. Going to go out and get a couple of HD's and stick with Win 7 that's been perfectly stable for me with GUIminer.

Is pool.simplecoin.us:9337 still down? I am trying to get started with this using Solidcoin and the simplecoin pool but keep getting this error:

Code:
[2011-09-03 11:46:36] No servers were found that could be used to get work from.

[2011-09-03 11:46:36] Please check the details from the list below of the server
s you have input
[2011-09-03 11:46:36] Most likely you have input the wrong URL, forgotten to add
 a port, or have not set up workers
[2011-09-03 11:46:36] Pool: 0  URL: http://pool.simplecoin.us:9337  User: xxx  Password: xxx
Press enter to exit:

I blanked my username and password before anyone asks if that is the problem. ;P

Is pool.simplecoin.us:9337 still down? I am trying to get started with this using Solidcoin and the simplecoin pool but keep getting this error:

Code:
[2011-09-03 11:46:36] No servers were found that could be used to get work from.

[2011-09-03 11:46:36] Please check the details from the list below of the server
s you have input
[2011-09-03 11:46:36] Most likely you have input the wrong URL, forgotten to add
 a port, or have not set up workers
[2011-09-03 11:46:36] Pool: 0  URL: http://pool.simplecoin.us:9337  User: xxx  Password: xxx
Press enter to exit:

I blanked my username and password before anyone asks if that is the problem. ;P

all good for me.

Port should be 8337, not 9337 AFAIK

That's a small circuit (10A). Typically, it's more like 15A or 20A.
This is where a Kill-a-Watt comes in handy to gauge the VA, W and A of a miner.

Yup, 15Amps can deliver 1800Watts@120volts and a 20Amp circuit can deliver 2400Watts@120Volts.

You don't even need to buy a kill-a-watt, check your local library 'cause they have them available for check out there. I'm not sure if this is done nationally though.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm stupid. I figured it out, I did not set the password properly on the worker thread on my account page for simplecoin

I just found out theres a new version of GUIMiner out, 8/24

anyone tried it out yet?

Could someone help me figure out how to setup failover in GUIMiner

How to use a backup pool aka fallback support:
Fallback support is in the OpenCL miner only. In the flags, specify the info of the backup pool or pools. For example if I want to fallback to my account on slush's pool, I would write:
Kiv.GPU:[email protected]:8332
If you don't know the host name or port, you can see it in the console tab whenever you run a miner.That's all you need for basic support. You can tweak it with these options:
--failback=N attempt to fail back to the primary pool every n getworks, default 2
--tolerance=N use fallback pool only after N consecutive connection errors, default 2

I dont quite understand the syntax

is Kiv.GPU the OpenCL miner name?
@api - Do I actually need to post my entire API key for my failover pool?

In my situation, I use simple coin as my primary and Deepbit as my failover
woud I flag it like this?
DeepBit-GPU1:p[email protected]:8332

Ideally I would like to find a flag that will stop and restart a miner if it has connection problems for more then 10 seconds to be added to this failover..

Edit:
I figured out something that helps my miners recover. The -s.001 flag causes a VERY short term sleep between cycles and it seems to have more or less fixed my issue of miners going into "Connection Problem" randomly.

Last edited:
Been using it since it was released, also diapolo released a new version of his modified phatk kernel. Virtually no difference from earlier versions on my rigs.

newguiminer.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it a nightmare block yet. A 4mil+ block is a nightmare. You have to expect long blocks though with a non-pps pool. We can't be lucky all of the time :)

To all the solidcoin miners running the client, update it immediately!

http://solidcointalk.org/topic/124-103-released-immediate-update-required/

Apparently there are some spammers doing tons of very small transactions, making the block chain unnecessarily large. The new client should fix that.

Go figure the day after I start mining solidcoins, their entire base get shaken. It sounds like ruxum and others have stopped accepting SC transations. The Simplecoin SC pool is offline and SC Guild is shutting their SC pools down on the 11th.

http://sc.btcguild.com/

Maybe it's time for me to jump to bitcoin?

Go figure the day after I start mining solidcoins, their entire base get shaken. It sounds like ruxum and others have stopped accepting SC transations. The Simplecoin SC pool is offline and SC Guild is shutting their SC pools down on the 11th.

http://sc.btcguild.com/

Maybe it's time for me to jump to bitcoin?

Well shit, the Solidcoin guys really screwed the pooch on this one. As far as I can tell, she's pretty well done for after the latest release.

Per the Bitparking exchange page...

The latest release of SolidCoin, v1.04, has a licence change that requires permission from the SolidCoin developers to use any changes they've made. The text can be seen in my analysis of the changes on github. The SolidCoin developers response to queries about this is "If you don't like it, don't use the source code, simple really".

For my projects I'm often custom building variants of SolidCoin and Bitcoin. I don't want to have to ask permission to use code and prefer to use open source licensed projects. For that reason I've decided to close this SolidCoin Exchange. Withdrawals will be enabled for a period of time to enable you to get your funds of the site.

I'd definitely get off the Solidcoin wagon ASAP.

I wouldn't call it a nightmare block yet. A 4mil+ block is a nightmare. You have to expect long blocks though with a non-pps pool. We can't be lucky all of the time :)
I know, that's why I said seemingly nightmarish. A man can dream though right? :D

Well there goes my solidcoins up in smoke just like my ix/i0 coins. Luckily I only mined both for a day. Lesson to you people: don't mine alternative curriences. They are all bubbles/scamcoins are doomed to fall. We have a hard enough time keeping the value of Bitcoins up.

Yup, all these copycat forks come from not so smart amateurs that thought that by simply copying and pasting the bitcoin code and altering a few parameters was enough for them to repeat the early adopter benefit of bitcoins. In the end these failures actually give more strength and legitimacy to bitcoins. If at least these coins had a purpose like namecoins, but no they were simply another pump and dump scheme.

So I finally cashed out my 1.3 bitcoins today, got an amazon gift card out of it :) I definitely should have cashed it when BTC was worth ~15 bucks so I cold have gotten more for my money but ah well :) How is everyone else's mining going? I haven't been keeping up with the thread :(

So I finally cashed out my 1.3 bitcoins today, got an amazon gift card out of it :) I definitely should have cashed it when BTC was worth ~15 bucks so I cold have gotten more for my money but ah well :) How is everyone else's mining going? I haven't been keeping up with the thread :(
Hopefully better once we get past this darned block.

[strike=1]Just dropping this here so people can start crunching numbers based on # of shaders/clocks/power consumption. As with every rumor take it with a huge grain of salt:

- HD 7990 New Zealand GCN (Dual Tahiti)
- HD 7970 Tahiti XT GCN 1000MHz 32CUs 2048ALUs 128TMUs 64ROPs 256bit XDR2 8.0Gbps 256GB/s 2GB 190W HP
- HD 7950 Tahiti Pro GCN 900MHz 30CUs 1920ALUs 120TMUs 64ROPs 256bit XDR2 7.2Gbps 230GB/s 2GB 150W HP
- HD 7870 Thames XT VLIW4 950MHz 24SIMDs 1536ALUs 96TMUs 32ROPs 256bit GDDR5 5.8Gbps 186GB/s 2GB 120W HPL
- HD 7850 Thames Pro VLIW4 850MHz 22SIMDs 1408ALUs 88TMUs 32ROPs 256bit GDDR5 5.2Gbps 166GB/s 2GB 90W HPL
- HD 7670 Lombok XT VLIW4 900MHz 12SIMDs 768ALUs 48TMUs 16ROPs 128bit GDDR5 5.0Gbps 80GB/s 1GB 60W HPL
- HD 7570 Lombok Pro VLIW4 750MHz 12SIMDs 768ALUs 48TMUs 16ROPs 128bit GDDR5 4.0Gbps 64GB/s 1GB 50W HPL

Looking at the 7850 and all the overclocking headroom it should have. If that card can be unlocked to a 7870, we should have the next bang for the buck hashing card. Even if it can't be unlocked, with 90W of power consumption, it already has a Mhash/J ratio >4 and a Mhash/$ ratio >2 (approximated from the average performance of a 6950 and price of a 6850).[/s]

Update: False alarm, disregard. Neliz from B3D just confirmed all of the above specs are fake.

Last edited:
Back