Biostar Tforce overclocking stories??

MC FLMJIG said:
NEITHER!!! YUK!!!

There is an Enermax Dual with 485w + is a reputable co instead of the raid.

If you want cheap and good? I have an XCLIO 500w Goodpower dual. Great for the price.

Also
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101518

AMS Mercury
Antec
Enermax
Fortron
OCZ
Pc Power and Cooling
Seasonic
Silverstone
Epower (Tagan)
Topower
TTGI/Superflower
Ultra (X-Fintiy, X-Connect)
Vantec
X-Clio
Zalman
Zippy/Emacs

Usually good companies.

Great PSU's May get the 1st choice. Tho I like the Antec's because of the tripple 12v rails, what would be a good one of those? I can spend upto 100 bucks on a Powersupply.

AMS has 4 rails woo...

I don't want to change the topic. It is BStar OC board ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103457

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189005

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103937

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104934
kinda weak on the 12 but still good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256001
Efficiency >80%

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194003
Efficiency: 80%

The Xfinity 500 is also very good and the cables are sweet.

These are duals. Im tired going seepy. If you search H you will find tons more stuff.

MC FLMJIG said:
I don't want to change the topic. It is BStar OC board ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103457

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189005

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103937

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104934
kinda weak on the 12 but still good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256001
Efficiency >80%

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194003
Efficiency: 80%

The Xfinity 500 is also very good and the cables are sweet.

These are duals. Im tired going seepy. If you search H you will find tons more stuff.

Thanks helps alot

Well since this is the place to OC and a powersupply will help my biostar OC then this is the right place. I thought of getting as much amp in the 12v as possable. May got with the OCZ that costs just as much if it ever comes back in stock in a week. That I could OC itself. I am now looking for powersupply's with 30/40A 12v single rails.

http://www.directron.com/ocz420adj.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817103488

tiger6400 said:
Whats the timing on the memory?You might want to drop the volts to your memory back down to spec. I see you have it at 2.8 it might not like that high of a voltage.

It's auto. BIOS does it.

Serge84 said:
Thanks helps alot

Well since this is the place to OC and a powersupply will help my biostar OC then this is the right place. I thought of getting as much amp in the 12v as possable. May got with the OCZ that costs just as much if it ever comes back in stock in a week. That I could OC itself. I am now looking for powersupply's with 30/40A 12v single rails.

http://www.directron.com/ocz420adj.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817103488

Pff, don't listen to that! Read THIS! *points to link provided*

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/07/5_power_supplies_get_the_full_juice_treatment/

I guess I should let you know that I don't know much about over clocking. I've only owned a PC for about 18 months or so, and the AMD is the first one that I've OCed. Perhaps this will explain some of my noobish behavior.

Ice_Wewe said:
It's auto. BIOS does it.

Ice wewe I just tried Auto memory setting with my Rig guess what wouldn't boot this may be your problem if you want I could give you some settings that you can try. Go into your [Dram Configuration]

Timing Mode- Manual

[TCI]- 3.0
[Tras]- 8T
[Trcd]- 4T
[Trp]- 4T
[Trrd]- 4T
[Trc]- 10T
[Trfc]- 14T

tiger6400 said:
Ice wewe I just tried Auto memory setting with my Rig guess what wouldn't boot this may be your problem if you want I could give you some settings that you can try. Go into your [Dram Configuration]

Timing Mode- Manual

[TCI]- 3.0
[Tras]- 8T
[Trcd]- 4T
[Trp]- 4T
[Trrd]- 4T
[Trc]- 10T
[Trfc]- 14T

I never touched anything below the first 4 adjustments. Now debating to retest my RAM OC with those lower 3 adjustments.

hey all, having a problem i need some help figuring out. first my system specs:
opteron 144( currently at 290x9)
1gb corsair value select ddr400 kit currently 2.5-3-3-8
40gb wd ata
80gb wd ata
160gb seagate sata
biostar tforce6100-939
linksys lan card
onboard video(for now)

the problem is that i keep getting errors in memtest+86 1.55 that is included in the bios of my board. even with the stock settings i get these errors. i have tried one stick at a time and they report no errors after a couple hours of testing. when installed together they get an error within the first 5 minutes. i am using the matched slots for dual channel and they show as dual channel in everest.

after doing a little research on asktheramguy.com i decided to try another powersupply as the raidmax i have seems to not be all to great. bought a 470w enlight for a good price at a local shop yesterday. same problem exists. any suggestions? system seems pretty stable but i would like to find out if i need to rma something before my warranty period expires

ok list of changes i've made
*denotes this is the default

frame buffer 128m
quiet & cool disabled
smart fan control

manual overclock
-cpu voltage 1.425
-memory voltage 2.7(per chung at corsair)
-cpu frequency 291mhz
-hammer fid x9(1800mhz)
-ht frequency x3
-pcie clock 100mhz*
-memclock 133mhz

1t/2t memory clock 2t*
dram configuration
-timing mode manual
-tcl 2.5(per chung)
-tras 8(per chung)
-trcd 3(per chung)
-trp 3(per chung)
-trrd 2*
-trc 12*
-trfc 24t*
-trwt 2*
-twr auto*
-twtr auto*
refresh rate of dimm auto*
user config mode auto*
-read preamble 6ns*
-asynch latency 6ns*
dram bank interleaving enanbled*
burst length 4 beats*
mtrr mapping mode continuous*

instead of listening to what corsair says, why don't you relax the mem timing to 2.5-4-4-8 to see if you still get errors?

Lolento said:
instead of listening to what corsair says, why don't you relax the mem timing to 2.5-4-4-8 to see if you still get errors?

Wierd, it wouldn't let me type in here for a while. Getting back on topic...

What *does* corsair reccomend? I have a 1GB stick in my AMD64 right now, and have no clue as to what they reccomend for timings? (shoot, I threw out the box in came in...)

Hello,
I just got the 6100- 754 version of the Tforce board, with a Sempron 2800 to spice up my secondary computer.

Two questions, the latest bios I see for it on the Biostart.tw site is dated back in 2005/09/07
Is there something out there a bit more current?

Secondly, I see no option to adjust the multiplier, is this something unique to the board or to Sempron 64s?

I am selling a brand new Tforce6100 s754 for $50+ $8ship (in US). Please check the Sales section.

I was going to use a existing mobile PCU on that mb, but learned (from silentpcreviews.com) that this mb does not support it. That's before I even received the board. Oh well.

Ice_Wewe said:
Wierd, it wouldn't let me type in here for a while. Getting back on topic...

What *does* corsair reccomend? I have a 1GB stick in my AMD64 right now, and have no clue as to what they reccomend for timings? (shoot, I threw out the box in came in...)
Looks like you might need to RMA one or both of your ram sticks. Try testing them seperately and see which ones causing you problems (It's probably just one stick that won't run stock speeds right..)

AKDUDE said:
Hello,
I just got the 6100- 754 version of the Tforce board, with a Sempron 2800 to spice up my secondary computer.

Two questions, the latest bios I see for it on the Biostart.tw site is dated back in 2005/09/07
Is there something out there a bit more current?

Secondly, I see no option to adjust the multiplier, is this something unique to the board or to Sempron 64s?

Sempy 2800's are locked at 8x, you won't be able to lower it either :(

Oh well... I don't think it maters anyway, I can only get the FSB up to about 270 or the processor at 2.2 before it all craps out anyway. I was hoping to go a bit higher on the FSB.

tiger6400 said:

Timing Mode- Manual

[TCI]- 3.0
[Tras]- 8T
[Trcd]- 4T
[Trp]- 4T
[Trrd]- 4T
[Trc]- 10T
[Trfc]- 14T

Smooth. That screwed up my system so much that even Watch Dog couldn't fix it. I had to open it up and do a CMOS clear.

VoBoy said:
Looks like you might need to RMA one or both of your ram sticks. Try testing them seperately and see which ones causing you problems (It's probably just one stick that won't run stock speeds right..)

RMA? It's ONE Corsair stick, 1GB in size. It's PC3200, and about 6 months old. I don't see why it shouldn't be working. I have an Ultra 512 I can throw in to see if it really is my Corsair RAM. But that would mean taking my P4 offline... dang, this is getting complicated. In case you didn't read my last post, those memory timings that guy gave me screwed up my system so much that Watch Dog couldn't reset the BIOS. I had to do a CMOS clear! In the manual, it says LED_D1 is VGA, so why the hell is that LED always out when my system configurations are above 251 x 10? It's an XFX 6100 GT. It should be able to handle this, and I'm not even OCing the PCIe!

Those settings are very loose any memory should be able run them.Thats why I gave them to you whats your divider set on 133 166? Find out what your spec Timing is for that memory.

AKDUDE said:
Oh well... I don't think it maters anyway, I can only get the FSB up to about 270 or the processor at 2.2 before it all craps out anyway. I was hoping to go a bit higher on the FSB.

That is exactly my limit as well with this board and a 2800.

Ice_Wewe said:
Smooth. That screwed up my system so much that even Watch Dog couldn't fix it. I had to open it up and do a CMOS clear.

Welcome to the world of ocing. Rule of thumb 1, don't leave anything at auto.

Great... Now I'm having a bad day. Just updated BIOS using the BIOSTAR program from windows... hit the internet link. Clicked yes to update, then it said I had to reboot. I reboot, and it never posts after that. Cleared CMOS, restarted again. NO posting what so ever now... Any suggestions ? :(

Beepcode is long beep every other second = RAM? and out of the 4 LED's on the bottom, LED 1 is off and LED2 on = RAM Error...Any thoughts? Tried different sticks and all the same...

FUNNY you should ask.

A week ago the same thing happened to me, and I even took the trouble of emailing Biostar a DETAILED report of the problem and the solution, without so much as a "thanks" or "we'll get that fixed right away so it doesn't happen to someone else." I so hate companies today.

Problem:
Biostar's stupid utility has flashed your TForce 6100-939 with the GeForce 6100-M7 BIOS.

Solution:
Remove a stick of RAM so you are only running single-channel (in my case I believe I removed the stick farthest away from the CPU). This will allow your computer to boot (though the stupid socket 754 BIOS will do other things like make only one core of a dualcore CPU show up), and then what you want to do is download the correct BIOS:

ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/bios/TFORCE 6100-939/CU51M127.BST

And then manually re-flash the BIOS and reboot or shut down.

After that, things should be back to normal and you can re-install that second stick of memory again.

Grrr.

Thanks for the fix nray, but I've tried running a stick of ram in all slots and I haven't been successful at getting it to post still! I'll try to work on it some more... Man I knew something was kinky about that program!

edit: oh my, i put a stick in the 3rd slot away from CPU and booted just now. It posted. thank goodness! USB does not detect though! oh thank goodness it posted! I was about to get it ready for RMA!

Did you read the warning disclaimer they had on their bios update site... It stated that they weren't responsible for the damages done due to bios updating so it leaned me to not even email them about it.

Hmm, my USB never stopped working (and I don't have a PS/2 keyboard or mouse, just USB), even when I had the wrong BIOS.

I would recommend doing a load defaults in the BIOS (perhaps there was something lingering from the old, wrong BIOS), and if that doesn't work, maybe a CMOS clear (with the jumper for five seconds per the manual's instructions).

If that doesn't work, check your device manager if you can to make sure you have the right USB drivers associated with your USB controller(s), perhaps the BIOS mixup also caused some of your drivers to get mis-associated in Windows (get properties on a Host Controller and then click "Update Driver..." and go through the steps, have it check over the Internet too if you can).

Yeah I'll have to try that when I get home. Stepped out to work right after my post. The weird thing is that even before it gets into windows the USB keyboard/mouse do not light up and do not respond. I had to use some PS/2 stuff to get into the BIOS. Man if I knew it would have been this much trouble I would have just kept the orginal bios! Anyone know how to disable the tforce logo bootup screen with just the post screen (Usually you have to push tab)? I thought it was that Summary bootup but that didn't make a difference for me.

EDIT: Cleared CMOS = No still
Reflashed back to orginal BIOS = no still...

EDit: So I kept trying and trying, even redoing some jumpers on the USB to let it be powered by standby voltage... no good. I then decided to move my stick of ram from the 3rd slot away from cpu to the 1st slot next to CPU and to my surprise USB powered up and works now! That was quite a scare. I was trying to not result in sending it back for RMA. Thank you hardforums!

I've been having problems with mine having occasional random reboots, and lots of program having errors when closing them, at both stock and overclocked settings.

I'm using the newest bios posted on the american website.

any ideas what's wrong?

What brand of RAM are you using? I had very odd problems trying to even mildly overclock with GSkill RAM, but no problems with Patriot.

all of my important specs are always in my sig.

I think i fixed my problem.

first off, I changed my ram settings so that my ram is running at the spd timings that cpu-z reports. this ram autodetects different than the spd for some wierd reason, I've used it in a couple of mobos and they've all autodetected it wrong, with tighter timings. but this biostar was the first board to have problems with that. so i changed them. and that helped some. but it was still having some program errors, so...

in the book, it labels the dimm slots wrongly. it says slot 1 is farthest from the cpu etc. I thought this was kinda wierd but chose to believe it. so I put a stick in what I thought were 1 and 3 to have dual channel. but they are really 2 and 4 (according to cpu-z), the 1st slot is actually the one closest to the cpu. apparently having the two sticks in 2 and 4 wasn't making the board happy. I switched them to the real 1 and 3 and so far everything seems great after tweaking the timings and using the correct dimm slots.

Think my board is dead, only boots sometimes, when it does colors get all fucked up, rarely get into windows. When I do, colors get fucked up about 30 min later :p

Newest bios is crap. Now the multiplyers seem to be fucked up. Atleast my OS wants to make errors when I go past 280FSB when I can in windows with clockgen get upto 390FSB with a lower multiplyer set by a program. Damn bios doesn't seem to like it.

Got a new PSU. Still experementing. Wish the ppl of clockgen would hurry up and make some god damn save system aready. :rolleyes:

The 300+.BST ver Bios is better but what is up with damn windows seeing the clock speed is lowered but CPUz is confused in telling me its still 2.8GHz when I lowered the multiplyer from 10x to 7x and lower... bloody annoying mates. I don't know if windows is messed up, or I'm getting false readings. :rolleyes:

That Epowersupply is nice. Makes my comp alot more stable.

sabrewolf732 said:
Think my board is dead, only boots sometimes, when it does colors get all fucked up, rarely get into windows. When I do, colors get fucked up about 30 min later :p

What's your command rate on ram? If it isn't at T2 yet, try that and see if you still get problems.

tiger6400 said:
Those settings are very loose any memory should be able run them.Thats why I gave them to you whats your divider set on 133 166? Find out what your spec Timing is for that memory.

I'm using 133, and I haven't looked at my RAM to see what they reccomend.

I'm back again. I've been talking with Biostar's tech support for 4 days now, and I haven't made any gains, infact, my FSB max limit has gone down by 3. *gasp*!

I've got a 3200+ Venice core AMD64 939 CPU w/stock cooler.

XFX GeForce FX 6600GT PCIE.

CU51MC02.BST BIOS.

I've tried the March BIOS, the January BIOS, and now this one. I've yet to break 261, and now I'm down to 258. This is with HTT multi 5x, 4x or 3x. I simply cannot break 2.6Ghz. I did, once, but the system wouldn't boot my OS.

Biostar keeps claiming that it *must* be the CPU or the RAM, but I know my CPU can do more, and I've tired 2 different sticks of RAM in the machine already with no change. I'm at a complete loss. I've read this whole topic at least 3 times over now, talked and talked and talked with the rep. from Biostar, and I haven't gotten anywhere! Biostar admits that I'm their first customer to not be able to overclock, and I can't figure out why!

I've tried it with memory timings on auto. I've tried it with memory timings on manual (to their worst settings).

I've tried disabling the onboard, and the PMU.

I've tried adjusting the NB/SB speeds.

I've tried different CPU voltages, and 3.3V on my RAM.

I've tried it with the RAM in a different slot.

I've tried it without my SATA2 HDD.

I've tried it without my 6600GT.

This is rather annoying, since everyone else tells me that less than 2.7Ghz on a Venice core is crap. Also, everyone else seems to be getting really fast speeds... what the fugg is going on with my board?!

I have no CPU overheating problems, although my North Bridge (which Biostar thought I was talking about the SB) heatsync does get too hot to touch, even during normal (stock speed) operation.

Does anyone else have a NB heat sync that gets really hot?

The problem is, you aren't lowering the CPU multi, RAM divider and HT multi to tell if it's a CPU or board issue. That's a pretty basic step in overclocking you need to do. Accept that just because everyone else says they are getting 2.7GHz, does not mean the chip you have is going to do the same. What is this, 2nd grade?

Damn.

Not to mention the fact that people lie... consistently about their overclocks and give others frustration and false expectations. What with all the grade inflation in schools, it starts transposing itself onto the real... er electronic world. Saunter over to XS and take a gander at the travesty that has taken over.

Repeat after me, "It is just a chip." Do yourself a favor and read a basic overclocking sticky.

In case it's not the chip and it is the board, there is not much you can do about it except buy and try another. What revision do you have? I think a big portion of people having problems were those with the v1.0 rev A01 boards. The one v1.0 board that maxed out at around 285 and was incompatable with single core Opterons/Biostar OC utility. Two v1.1 boards maxed out at 315 and had no issues with the single core Opteron.

Back