BioShock Infinite

Think about it...would you really, and I mean REALLY, score this game a 9 or 10 out of 10? You would consider this game from start to finish either perfect or 1 point away from PERFECT?!

If so then you are the reason gaming has gone to shit and why this generic shit keeps coming out and won't stop any time soon. Thank you for having such LOW standards. Go back and keep enjoying your mediocre corridor shooter with nearly zero game play mechanics, no exploration, nothing other than general go here kill them then go here kill them...rinse and repeat. Bioshock Infinite is no different than a CoD game set in a floating city and with a better story line. That's all, at its core, that it is. If you can't see that then I just don't know what to say...:confused:

you invaludated your whole argument...if anything I think everyone can agree that Infinite was unique and NOT the typical CoD fps clone...you even went on to praise Tomb Raider as GOTY material and that was pretty much the definition of cookie cutter gameplay

Tomb Raider is a different type of game...I loved TR but BioShock Infinite is the perfect example of smart, story-driven gameplay...you need to appreciate a smart, well-told story that rewards a brain over mindless shooting and stabbing (not that there's anything wrong with that either)...I appreciate Infinite because we rarely get games nowadays where intelligence is rewarded...Ken Levine developed System Shock 2, the original BioShock and now Infinite...a very unique guy with a great vision for what he considers video game storytelling...there's plenty of CoD, Tomb Raider etc type of games in the market but not enough of games like BioShock

special shout out to the voice acting of Troy Baker (Booker) and Courtnee Draper (Elizabeth)...they really did a fantastic job...Draper is pretty hot too with an excellent voice...I mainly used the Shock Jockey and Devil's Kiss vigors with some Possession thrown in...played on 'Hard' the game really wasn't all that hard except for a few spots...the final battle before the endgame reveal was the biggest challenge (I used a lot of Shock Jockey traps)

Surely, if Elizabeth can open up doorways to other worlds, we could have had some delicious set pieces: trucks bursting out onto enemies, planes crashing through. Instead we get the same combination of sniper rifle/ a bit of cover/skyhook/robot auto turret, like the only place Liz can look into is an under-construction Skynet HQ. Infuriatingly, you're locked into most encounters via sealed doors that only Elizabeth can open. Kill rooms, essentially, and far too many of them at that.

*slowly raises hand*

I'm maybe 5-8 hours in. It looks good but not amazing. As some say the artistic quality outweighs the datedness but it still feels old. I'm an old school gamer so it doesn't bother me but I'm aware of it. the characters and story are not nearly as intriguing as I'd hoped. They've traded claustrophobia and creepiness for movie effects and splashy action. the villain and tones feel eeh. The audiologs are rarely worth listening to.There's almost no environment interaction. I really hate the Vigors. I miss the old ones. Elisabeths head is so goddamn big its distracting. They kinda screwed up with that. I took snapshots of her next to other people. It's like they went cheap on that. She looks really out of place. Everyone else has normal model heads. She also still annoys me. I hope she gets this amazing character depth everyone has described.

BLASPHEMER!!! YOU'RE DUMB!!! GAME IS PURRRRRFECT DUH!

Pretty much. 9/10 or 10/10 doesn't mean "perfect". Perfection is unattainable, especially for a piece of software, and that's not to mention all of the subjective points about graphics, plot, pacing, etc.

I would rate the game as a 9/10 so far. It's kept me engaged (though there are some slow points where you're just running around scavenging, those get a little boring at times) and I can't wait to see the ending.

As far as the graphics, I will agree that as you progress through the game the graphics don't seem as impressive, but I think only because the tone and scene change a lot throughout the game and it's not as bright and cheery as it was at the start. I guess it does well to provide a stark contrast in that way, which is what they were going for probably?

There are definitely some issues (the game has crashed more on me than any other game in recent memory) and I'm a bit surprised they haven't patched it yet, but it's still great.

yeah, the crashing wouldnt be so bad either if it wasnt for this absolutely terrible save system. i had it crash when i equipped a new hat i got and when i went back ( far back due to the autosave ) i got a different hat which sucked in comparison. i was pissed.

that aside i found the game to be quite pretty all around. i would say the game is even replayable i am interested in playing at a harder difficulty, thats something i never do.

to me this is really one of the best games i have played in a very very very long time.

you invaludated your whole argument...SNIP!

LMAO! Really? Tomb Raider was cookie cutter? Compared to what? Uncharted? Infinite was FAR more stand fare than TR was. I do NOT see how you don't see this...how any of you don't see this. Besides the story and Elizabeth what did this game do that is so dramatically different than every other FPS out there?!?! NOTHING! Not a damn thing.

You just invalidated your whole argument. See? I can do that to.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, this is not the fifth best PC game of all time as it currently stands on Metacritic.

I think the game has been vastly overrated and the story is, frankly, a joke. Everyone using the "too deep for you" argument about the story needs to have their head examined. It's a typical
time-travel/multiverse story that turns into a mess of unworkable plot holes that trivializes reality, and makes any force your actions had meaningless.
I saw that "twist" coming from within the first 5 minutes of the game, and I cannot believe no one else did either.

This is the first time I have seen people take glaringly bad design decisions and use them as examples of why the game is so great. Your choices don't matter, but "zomg that's part of the story!" Uh, ok, in any other game that would be ripped on in reviews. Zero replayability? 'It's a commentary on games as a medium of art!" What?

Don't even get me started on that deus ex machina ending. When Mass Effect 3 did it, people wanted to burn EA to the ground. When Bioshock Infinite does it, it's now the greatest gaming achievement ever?

Bioshock 1 was far superior to this, in my opinion. This is still a good game, but it is certainly not one of the greatest games of all time by any means.

Bah. You're just one of the reasons gaming has gone to shit

/ joeuser

Actually no. He has a point. Considering all the shit that's come out this was one of the better games I've played in a long long long time as well. Still doesn't make it the best thing since sliced bread.

LMAO! Really? Tomb Raider was cookie cutter? Compared to what? Infinite was FAR more stand fare than TR was.

You just invalidated your whole argument.

I think you're just one of those guys that pretends to hate games like this just because it is getting a lot of excellent reviews...contrarian for the sake of creating an argument to get people to respond to your posts...the fact that you don't see any of your arguments against Infinite in Tomb Raider just proves this...either way most people see Infinite as a master class of story-first gaming...yes it has its flaws but you can't be a typical mass market gamer and appreciate what Infinite brings to the table

It is a great game, and I'm glad I was part of the making of it for however brief a time. It isn't the best game by any means, but then again, those are few and far between (just like movies, cars, etc.). Tomb Raider was also a good game, but far from perfect.

Shitting all over each other and getting all fanboyish is probably the most fucked up thing I've ever seen. Let's leave that for politics. ;)

I think you're just one of those guys that pretends to hate games like this just because it is getting a lot of excellent reviews...contrarian for the sake of creating an argument to get people to respond to your posts...the fact that you don't see any of your arguments against Infinite in Tomb Raider just proves this...either way most people see Infinite as a master class of story-first gaming...yes it has its flaws but you can't be a typical mass market gamer and appreciate what Infinite brings to the table

I will agree with the story-first game. I'm fine with that. It's the "game" part I have a problem with.

Also keep your personal opinions about my personality and character out of this. You don't know me or know any one that knows me so unless you have something else to back your claims up I'd appreciate you not bad mouthing me. I don't bash you or put you down in anyway so I'd like you to the same.

nobody here is calling this game perfect.

the perfect game does not exist, thats already been stated here.

So how are people saying it's a 10 out of 10 game not mean perfect? If it isn't perfect it isn't 10 out of 10. It would seem a lot of people disagree with you.

So how are people saying it's a 10 out of 10 game not mean perfect? If it isn't perfect it isn't 10 out of 10. It would seem a lot of people disagree with you.

Maybe it's 10/10 for them? I don't know, for me personally, as a gamer and someone who likes these types of games especially, I give it a solid 8.5 for how far in I am (not too too far, several hours at least though).

The beginning is great, and I was immediately blown away by the art design, but after a while, the constant checking every prop in the game, every crate, cabinet, and desk (God the desks, so many desks rooms filled with desks. Desks on top of desks...) looking for coins becomes... a... grind. You spend half the game pointing at every piece of furniture, and if it glows you press the x button. Woo-hoo! I think the game took me about ten hours. That's roughly five hours of looking and pointing at furniture. Bioshock? How about Interior Decorator shock? "Furniture: Infinity." But money is scarce, and upgrades are expensive, and the thought of screwing up and having to wade through another molasses paced in-game cutscene kept me motivated to always be checking for loose change. And there are so. many. desks. to check. If the intention was to force players to slow down and take in the incredible architecture/lighting/design, I confess it worked. At first. After awhile though, it had the opposite effect. I started just running past all the crates/cabinets/desks to get the checking done so I could get back to the fun stuff. But this gave me the worst possible vantage point to take in the scenery; just skimming, flush along the furniture, spamming the search button to grab loose change or sometimes cake or pineapple. Why so many decrepit desks seemed to have edible cake or pineapple in them was perhaps explained in an audio log I failed to listen to. Maybe that same audio log explained why I could eat fruit out of an old decrepit desk but often lost the ability to eat fruit that was sitting on a fruit stand. Anyway, yeah, I spent much of the game pressed up against stuff looking for change and fruit, and speeding past textures that probably look better a few steps back.

It is a great game, and I'm glad I was part of the making of it for however brief a time. It isn't the best game by any means, but then again, those are few and far between (just like movies, cars, etc.). Tomb Raider was also a good game, but far from perfect.

Shitting all over each other and getting all fanboyish is probably the most fucked up thing I've ever seen. Let's leave that for politics. ;)

tomb raider was amazing. i found the story less intriguing though

nothing is perfect man youre just arguing semantics to make a point. its okay for you to think the game was just okay

Maybe it's 10/10 for them? I don't know, for me personally, as a gamer and someone who likes these types of games especially, I give it a solid 8.5 for how far in I am (not too too far, several hours at least though).

your rating is subject to change when the game comes to a close. i found myself completely and entirely enthralled and invested in the story especially at the end. i stayed up way to late just to finish and am paying for it dearly now.

i wouldve given it a similar score if not lower until the story came together and just blew my mind.

if you like movies like memento and machinist or donnie darko this is the kind of writing that will just make you all giddy boots

The beginning is great, and I was immediately blown away by the art design, but after a while, the constant checking every prop in the game, every crate, cabinet, and desk (God the desks, so many desks rooms filled with desks. Desks on top of desks...) looking for coins becomes... a... grind. You spend half the game pointing at every piece of furniture, and if it glows you press the x button. Woo-hoo! I think the game took me about ten hours. That's roughly five hours of looking and pointing at furniture. Bioshock? How about Interior Decorator shock? "Furniture: Infinity." But money is scarce, and upgrades are expensive, and the thought of screwing up and having to wade through another molasses paced in-game cutscene kept me motivated to always be checking for loose change. And there are so. many. desks. to check. If the intention was to force players to slow down and take in the incredible architecture/lighting/design, I confess it worked. At first. After awhile though, it had the opposite effect. I started just running past all the crates/cabinets/desks to get the checking done so I could get back to the fun stuff. But this gave me the worst possible vantage point to take in the scenery; just skimming, flush along the furniture, spamming the search button to grab loose change or sometimes cake or pineapple. Why so many decrepit desks seemed to have edible cake or pineapple in them was perhaps explained in an audio log I failed to listen to. Maybe that same audio log explained why I could eat fruit out of an old decrepit desk but often lost the ability to eat fruit that was sitting on a fruit stand. Anyway, yeah, I spent much of the game pressed up against stuff looking for change and fruit, and speeding past textures that probably look better a few steps back.

Gee, sounds like a LOT of other games, being forced to do the same thing over and over again. Isn't that what gaming's about anyway? Historically, anyway? When has a game NOT been repetitive? Heh.

your rating is subject to change when the game comes to a close. i found myself completely and entirely enthralled and invested in the story especially at the end. i stayed up way to late just to finish and am paying for it dearly now.

i wouldve given it a similar score if not lower until the story came together and just blew my mind.

if you like movies like memento and machinist or donnie darko this is the kind of writing that will just make you all giddy boots

I'm sure I'll increase the score as well, then again, I'm not overly picky with my games. Unless it's utter shit, it's probably a great experience.

Unless it's utter shit, it's probably a great experience.

I would say there are a lot of mediocre titles that don't really fall into either the "utter shit" or "great experience" categories. :p

This game, however, is a great experience any way you look at it IMO. I think maybe the hype was a little too high, but it does live up to a lot of it.

I'm sorry, this is not the fifth best PC game of all time as it currently stands on Metacritic.

I think the game has been vastly overrated and the story is, frankly, a joke. Everyone using the "too deep for you" argument about the story needs to have their head examined. It's a typical
time-travel/multiverse story that turns into a mess of unworkable plot holes that trivializes reality, and makes any force your actions had meaningless.
I saw that "twist" coming from within the first 5 minutes of the game, and I cannot believe no one else did either.

This is the first time I have seen people take glaringly bad design decisions and use them as examples of why the game is so great. Your choices don't matter, but "zomg that's part of the story!" Uh, ok, in any other game that would be ripped on in reviews. Zero replayability? 'It's a commentary on games as a medium of art!" What?

Don't even get me started on that deus ex machina ending. When Mass Effect 3 did it, people wanted to burn EA to the ground. When Bioshock Infinite does it, it's now the greatest gaming achievement ever?

Bioshock 1 was far superior to this, in my opinion. This is still a good game, but it is certainly not one of the greatest games of all time by any means.

QFT

Even the ripped ME3 ending was giving player more control than the "superior story of this game". Bland, boring, repetitive story and combat made people hate Dragon Age II. The same stuff, even in worse style done in Bioshock Infinite, suddenly make it "best game of decade".

But it's a good way for any game makers. "Take bland, cliche story, add to it some controversial things like slavery and patriotism, mix it with boring shooting" and you will get 10/10

1 thing I wish the developers had included in the game...

the ability to fight Songbird...they're pretty much building that up the entire game but you never do get to fight him...that was a little bit of a letdown

I hope thats true I keep hearing the ending really makes the game more satisfying.

I hope thats true I keep hearing the ending really makes the game more satisfying.

it really just makes the entire game worth playing

1 thing I wish the developers had included in the game...

the ability to fight Songbird...they're pretty much building that up the entire game but you never do get to fight him...that was a little bit of a letdown

fighting him wouldve been cool, but i dont think youre meant to because she has a connection to songbird

I would say there are a lot of mediocre titles that don't really fall into either the "utter shit" or "great experience" categories. :p

This game, however, is a great experience any way you look at it IMO. I think maybe the hype was a little too high, but it does live up to a lot of it.

maybe thats another reason i liked the game so much, i was pretty pessimistic about it. the gameplay videos had me pretty worried it was gonna be shit. so there wasnt much hype for me

The game is simply fun and enjoyable.

If you weren't sick inside when you got to:

The part where old Elizabeth calls you over

then I can definitely see why you think the game and the ending aren't that good.

Surely, if Elizabeth can open up doorways to other worlds, we could have had some delicious set pieces: trucks bursting out onto enemies, planes crashing through. Instead we get the same combination of sniper rifle/ a bit of cover/skyhook/robot auto turret, like the only place Liz can look into is an under-construction Skynet HQ. Infuriatingly, you're locked into most encounters via sealed doors that only Elizabeth can open. Kill rooms, essentially, and far too many of them at that.

Her powers are clearly limited, and I think a lot of that has to do with the siphon if I understand it correctly. Also your suggestions would cause a lot of development headaches.

LMAO! Really? Tomb Raider was cookie cutter? Compared to what? Uncharted? Infinite was FAR more stand fare than TR was. I do NOT see how you don't see this...how any of you don't see this. Besides the story and Elizabeth what did this game do that is so dramatically different than every other FPS out there?!?! NOTHING! Not a damn thing.

You just invalidated your whole argument. See? I can do that to.

Tomb Raider was very much the same we've seen before, just done well.

The thing that Infinite does dramatically from a lot of other games is provide engaging characters with an immersive story. Just because you couldn't get into doesn't mean that other people also cannot. That's the great thing about video games, go find something else you do enjoy.

It's not that it's too deep, it's just that there is SO MUCH detail in this game. I admittedly miss a lot when I play. I listened to as many recordings as I could find, but sometimes (especially after broken up gaming sessions) I just forget stuff and miss the connections.

It's also after reading what other players were able to discover that you really get an appreciation for what they did this with. Everything is connected.

I also feel bad for the people I've see say "I saw the ending coming." I guess maybe I'm just simple-minded in that regard. I don't start something trying to figure out how it will play out. I just let it happen. I only examine what I see in front of me. I don't think to myself "who is Comstock and why did he create Colombia, why is he keeping her locked up?" It will unfold as the game designers intended. It's that sort of absent mindedness that lets you be surprised and taken back by the ending. I do the same thing with movies and the payoff is that much better.

What fun is it if you're trying to figure everything out before it happens?

You lost me on the ME3 comparison. This is no where near the same thing.

Just gonna snip all this bullshit

This is clearly not the type of game for you. I never played Bioshock 2, but Bioshock 1 has the same "gather" gameplay. It was intended for the player to have to search all possible areas for ammo, hp, and hidden goodies. It's part of what the people who like this game enjoy doing. I liked trying to find all possible nooks and crannies of each area to ensure that I wasn't missing anything.

You don't seem to have, so I don't know why you're complaining about something you knew would be a part of the game.

It's like playing an MMO and complaining about grinding.

Last edited:
maybe thats another reason i liked the game so much, i was pretty pessimistic about it. the gameplay videos had me pretty worried it was gonna be shit. so there wasnt much hype for me

Yeah, that's kind of how I was. I did get hyped up a bit after hearing the early reviews, but I was worried the game would be too combat-oriented. There is a fair bit of combat but it's well-paced and it doesn't feel like a generic shooter at all. People saying it's like CoD with a better story need to go back and play CoD. This game is nothing like it, other than the fact that both have guns and you shoot people. :rolleyes:

Terrible game indeed. Terrible. How dare they make something like this. I wipe my ass with this filth.

:rolleyes:

lots of hipsters with computers nowadays haha

I'm not saying it's wrong to have an ill opinion of the game, by all means, but at some point it becomes a little ludicrous. IMO anyway.

Feels like reading RottenTomatoes reviews, where everyone is literally a nit-picking moron (not calling people here morons, just stating a point).

There's always going to be people who "go against the grain" and complain for the sake of feeling "unique" or something.

In any case, it's definitely got its flaws but it's one of the better games I've played in the last 5-10 years.

I'm not saying it's wrong to have an ill opinion of the game, by all means, but at some point it becomes a little ludicrous. IMO anyway.

Feels like reading RottenTomatoes reviews, where everyone is literally a nit-picking moron (not calling people here morons, just stating a point).

people just overcompensate and dump on shit people like a lot. maybe cause its a critical success.

honestly the game is amazing.. i can see why some people might not think its that good everybody has a different taste. personally for me this story gets a 9/10 for story alone. i was emotionally invested in Elizabeth and none of my theories of what was going on were right haha

this game is the opposite of predictable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

It's exactly the same thing. If anything, this is worse.

Not really. I could be wrong but the main problem with ME3 was all the promises of "your choices matter, multiple endings based off your choices through all the games, etc, etc." In the end there was none of that. They provided 3 choices that chose the ending which was merely the same cutscene with different colors.

The problem was developers lying to their customers and then trying to make excuses. However, I never managed to get back and play the "extended cut" so I'm not sure what, if anything was exactly resolved.

Infinite doesn't go through the same issue. I only followed the game loosely but I don't believe we were promised anything that wasn't really delivered (don't nitpick early gameplay videos). The Infinite story comes together very well and the game has all sorts of details and hints scattered throughout if you know where to look and pay attention. A lot you only realize after, but that's part of it's beauty.

Also, I can assure you that there would be the same outrage if another ME3 ending scenario were to occur.

I plopped down on my reclining office chair yesterday and kicked back my legs last night for the first time to play Bioshock Infinite. I don't typically use a 360 controller for shooters, but I I didn't feel like playing in the upright position last night.

The three hours I put into the game was the most I have felt immersed into a single player game world for as long as I can remember. When I jumped on this thread to read the last few pages, I thought I would see many people gushing about this game. But I guess I should have expected that in ANY blockbuster game that gets as much attention as this, there will be nitpickers.

I went to google afterwards and checked the playtime. Ten hours seems short to me, so that may take away from my overall rating of the game. But the initial impact of experiencing Columbia for the first three hours is already enough for me to rate this game at least a 9/10.

After getting the first run at riding around on the overhead rails I really think they should have gone more semi-open world where you can travel back and forth all over to get things done. (unless it gets like this later on)

I think that would be awesome, more like a System Shock 2 kinda thing.

After getting the first run at riding around on the overhead rails I really think they should have gone more semi-open world where you can travel back and forth all over to get things done. (unless it gets like this later on)

I think that would be awesome, more like a System Shock 2 kinda thing.

yeah i like that cause i missed a lot of things.

idk if there are actually 30 of those potions that permanently add more health/shield/vigor

but i only found about 15-17 ish

keeray keer, keer kameer, keer why keer? ray keer ray.

Quick! Somebody get this man a doctor!

Also, estimates of 10 hours for the playtime isn't correct at all. You will either go through it faster or slower (like I did) based on how much you explore and whether you reload upon death.

Back