BioShock Infinite

I finished the game last night. Overall, I liked the game a lot. There are some nice touches with the ending I quite liked. I won't go as far as saying my mind was blown since I didn't find the ending that surprising, but I did like how it unfolded.

I may not play it through again though. I did with the original Bioshock since how you treated the little sisters changed the ending, but there is no similar choice in this game.

I loved a lot of the easy to miss aspects like the music and why it is there. I also loved the whole hall of heroes portion.

I loved Fortunate Son

I've been getting some stuttering whenever you reach a new "area", I tried setting the BackgroundLoad in the Engine config to whatever the opposite was, and all it did was make some NPC's not appear and events not happen..you're basically walking around in limbo with all the noises still there. I tried enabling Adaptive VSYNC, but had to head to bed. We'll see tonight.

Maybe less is more with .ini tweaks. I haven't done any tweaks past this: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/27/b...o-videos-increase-fov-and-adjust-sensitivity/

I have vsync off, too. Haven't had stuttering, slow down, or anything like that. Maxed out settings.

I'm really immune to mouse sensitivity, turned it down just a hair and it's perfectly fine for me. I bumped up the FOV slider just a hair, looks good to me (what's yours at?).

Other than that, I haven't really done much other than turn on Adaptive and see if that fixes it.

I'm really immune to mouse sensitivity, turned it down just a hair and it's perfectly fine for me.

Trust me. Hit that .ini and put the min to .05 and the max no higher than 1 like they suggest and see if you don't like that better. I know I do.

I bumped up the FOV slider just a hair, looks good to me (what's yours at?).

I maxed it out and did the .ini tweak to 28.5 per the setting. Perfect at 16:10 1920x1200.

Other than that, I haven't really done much other than turn on Adaptive and see if that fixes it.

I'm using Adaptive as well.

I get some really minor slowdown at times but I haven't really noticed it having an impact on gameplay. Like maybe a drop to 35 FPS or something...no biggie.

The crashing is a problem, though, especially when it crashes right before a save point and you lose 30+ minutes of progress.

Still really enjoying the game, though. Production value and overall polish (besides the crashing and random bad textures here and there) is off the charts.

Odd that we don't have a patch yet IMO...not that there's anything totally game-breaking, but I've noticed a few bugs here and there, and of course the crashing. One minor bug, for instance, is when you have the fire Vigor equipped and your hand goes to do the little idle animation (where you see your hands start smoldering and emitting heat waves). If you start sprinting in the middle of the animation the heat waves will show up in the shape of your hand, but your hand pulls down due to the sprint animation. So you get these random heat waves floating in the air where your hand was supposed to be. Nothing big but still.

As for the Standard vs. Alternate post processing, I'm guessing the special DOF is where when something large is in the distant it looks kind of blurry? Cool effect, I guess. Other than that I haven't really noticed a difference.

Finished the game last night. It was decent but I still have Tomb Raider as my game of the year.

@ 1440p i have the shadows at normal to hold a consistent 60 fps. personally shadows do almost nothing for more in terms of looks and i always turn them down first

W...haaaaaaaaaat. Shadows kick ass. In all games too. Remember when FEAR first came out? Hell yeah...

Granted this game isn't as dark...(at least not in light ;)), but still.

W...haaaaaaaaaat. Shadows kick ass. In all games too. Remember when FEAR first came out? Hell yeah...

Granted this game isn't as dark...(at least not in light ;)), but still.

everything > shadows. sure theyre nice but theyre minimal in comparison to other effects. thats just one opinion though man to each his own.

everything > shadows. sure theyre nice but theyre minimal in comparison to other effects. thats just one opinion though man to each his own.

Your opinion is shit. Like your face. Jk.

But yeah, I think I'd rather have proper lighting and nice textures over crazy ass shadows. They really do add nice atmosphere if done right though.

Your opinion is shit. Like your face. Jk.

But yeah, I think I'd rather have proper lighting and nice textures over crazy ass shadows. They really do add nice atmosphere if done right though.

did you fix the stuttering?

The only thing that bums me out about shadows is that your character doesn't have one. In fact, your character doesn't have a body at all...which isn't a problem in most games but in this one you see reflections and dynamic shadows often, seems out of place. Like for instance when you stand in front of a projector...you see the actual projection video on your gun (which is a cool effect) but you have NO SHADOW!! Wtf.

Also, shadows are a big part of games to me as well. Especially in games like Splinter Cell...remember the dynamic shadows in that game? Epic and necessary.

Btw, regarding stuttering, I did the poolsize tweak and the StreamingTextures=false thing and I haven't noticed stuttering since.

The only thing that bums me out about shadows is that your character doesn't have one. In fact, your character doesn't have a body at all...which isn't a problem in most games but in this one you see reflections and dynamic shadows often, seems out of place. Like for instance when you stand in front of a projector...you see the actual projection video on your gun (which is a cool effect) but you have NO SHADOW!! Wtf.

Also, shadows are a big part of games to me as well. Especially in games like Splinter Cell...remember the dynamic shadows in that game? Epic and necessary.

Btw, regarding stuttering, I did the poolsize tweak and the StreamingTextures=false thing and I haven't noticed stuttering since.

Streamingtextures doesn't do shit for me, but break the game. It makes events not happen, and NPC's start not appearing around corners. I'm not the only one either. Been reading about that issue on Steam forums.

certain games it definitely adds more; splinter cell is definitely a good example

I wonder what I should put it at, ideally, for 1920x1080...?

You really shouldn't be having any fps issues to begin with, even on max, heh.

It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't constantly smooth either. And I need my games constantly smooth.

Streamingtextures doesn't do shit for me, but break the game. It makes events not happen, and NPC's start not appearing around corners. I'm not the only one either. Been reading about that issue on Steam forums.

Weird, I haven't noticed any problems so far but I'll keep an eye out for something that looks off.

Weird, I haven't noticed any problems so far but I'll keep an eye out for something that looks off.

It did make the quick slowdown/stutter disappear when entering new areas though...just wish it didn't break the rest of the game.

Finished the game last night. It was decent but I still have Tomb Raider as my game of the year.

so without giving anything away is the ending as mind blowing as all the reviews have said?

playing for awhile I'm appreciating the the DX11 graphics more...it's still not as good as Crysis 3 or even Metro 2033 but it's definitely a showcase DX11 title...a brighter version of Arkham City maybe?...the issue is that the game looks soft (intentionally) at times and there's a slight blur (especially when looking at far distances)...the blur is probably due to the FXAA implementation...but overall the graphics fit the artistic style the developers intended

so without giving anything away is the ending as mind blowing as all the reviews have said?

playing for awhile I'm appreciating the the DX11 graphics more...it's still not as good as Crysis 3 or even Metro 2033 but it's definitely a showcase DX11 title...a brighter version of Arkham City maybe?...the issue is that the game looks soft (intentionally) at times and there's a slight blur (especially when looking at far distances)...the blur is probably due to the FXAA implementation...but overall the graphics fit the artistic style the developers intended

No actual spoiler, but I wanted to hide my response to make it easier for some people to ignore:
I wouldn't say mind blowing. I'd describe it as mind expanding, meaning you kind of have to think about it for a bit. After I finished it, I did have to read some online explanations to fit the pieces together.

The more you think about it and how everything fits together, the more your mind will be blown. My mind was blown like 3 times after it was initially blown.

There's some mind blowing going on.

The more you think about it and how everything fits together, the more your mind will be blown. My mind was blown like 3 times after it was initially blown.

It's the opposite for me. The more I think about it, the more I find that it doesn't actually fit together.

It's the opposite for me. The more I think about it, the more I find that it doesn't actually fit together.

Weird. It all seemed to fit perfectly for me.

I guess if you want to nitpick time travel/multiverse theory and all that shit, it's not going to fit together as well. If you can just accept that it's not based on perfect science, then it all works out.

I beat Tomb Raider last week and really enjoyed it. About 5-6 hours into this game so far (had a driver problem that was making the game crash all the time) and I absolutely love it. No complaints what so ever. Tomb Raider don't get me wrong was an amazing game but I prefer Infinite.

Very rarely will I play a game more than 2 hours at a time unless its really really good. Infinite has me addicted. More so than Tomb Raider.

LOL

My mind was blown by your post about mind-blowing.

no one is answering the question about what effect your choices have in the game...do they have any real consequences?...I'm guessing No

no one is answering the question about what effect your choices have in the game...do they have any real consequences?...I'm guessing No

It would be relatively disappointing if not...it makes it seem like some of the choices are this deep, moral thing with repercussions.

Holy crap, turning down the shadows to high shot my fps up a lot.

I just leave them on high because the higher settings seems to be broken for me. The fade out between high / low res shadows in the distance (aka 5 fucking feet) is absurdly obvious. This doesn't happen on high so fuck it.

The answer to that is kind of complicated. You can't answer it without spoiling some of the ending.

They do not. Some people will say that is part of the narrative, but I think it is totally destructive of the narrative.

I thought the ending was a let down.

It's the same multiverse/time-travel story that has been done before, and done better, elsewhere. I was not blown away by any of it, and the twists were telegraphed beyond belief. The first thing I said when I started the game was "Elizabeth has got to turn out to be his daughter" and "I bet he is the bad guy or related to the bad guy."

I think their multiverse stuff wraps itself in just enough WTFness to achieve a sort of pseudo-intellectualism that can easily be picked apart (kind of like Inception, for example) when you think about it. If there are infinite universes and your choices essentially don't matter because you have made every choice (it just turned into a different universe), then why the hell even rescue her? Who cares if she turns New York into a shitpile in one universe, because in another one she flies the zeppelin to the top of it and then rains cash money down on them for fun. I don't really care for these infinite multiverse stories because they all boil down to that same plot hole.

It's not a bad story when compared to the other stuff that has come out, but I think this game fails to live up to the hype machine the reviewers are making out of it and I think it fails to live up to Bioshock. I agree pretty much with what this guy says. http://gameological.com/2013/03/review-bioshock-infinite/

I also thought the middle part of the story was a let down.

The racism/class warfare/American exceptionalism elements are totally thrown by the wayside and never resolved to any degree. I assume this story, like Bioshock, would have some sort of commentary on those issues, not just use them as window dressing for the setting. They are literally cast aside, and Fitzroy is turned into a ridiculous caricature--killing someone's kid because they are the "roots" of the parents, when her entire ideology is that everyone should be treated as equals? Right...

All in all, I am pretty let down, to be honest. Bioshock said something about the world and humanity, whereas Infinite really did not.

Last edited:
I beat Tomb Raider last week and really enjoyed it. About 5-6 hours into this game so far (had a driver problem that was making the game crash all the time) and I absolutely love it. No complaints what so ever. Tomb Raider don't get me wrong was an amazing game but I prefer Infinite.

Very rarely will I play a game more than 2 hours at a time unless its really really good. Infinite has me addicted. More so than Tomb Raider.

How did you fix the crashing?

How did you fix the crashing?

For me I it was linked to the latest Nvidia drivers which are supposed to be optimized for Infinite. I rolled back to the previous version and have been playing for hours with no issues.

The frames do drop when entering new areas for some reason. Like I will be around 80FPS enter a new area and for a 2-3 seconds the frames will drop to 20-30 then jump back up to normal.

Back