Big Ratpadz XT Question

I'd rather have the distinction come from a logo ([H] or RatPadz or whatever) than the curve. Functionally I'm just not a fan of the curve.

agreed, i would rather have the logo than the curve, if it was either or, but would prefer to have both!

I personally think that a thinner one if design allows for it will be a much win + flat edge, maybe you could provide an option of thinner + curve if desired. As for the size, I would say approximately 14x12 or so. Also if you are going to keep the curve, please don't make it as deep as it is, just a subtle curve would be much better.

Larger size + no curse + 1~2mm thinner please!

EDIT(sp) : no curves... DAMMIT!

Last edited:
All you people asking for square mousepads in 14x14 or 12x12 are crazy; when would you ever move up and down as far as you move side to side? Are you all rocking 1600x1600 resolutions?

I would love to see the following dimensions:
(These are assuming measuring corner to adjacent corner, not the middle of the pad)

With curve:
12" x 14"

Without curve:
11"x14"

And then as much of a decrease in thickness as is feasible if any.

Unless it adds to the production cost, I see no reason not to include the curve for those that want it. I dont even use it or like it, but all you have to do to get rid of it is flip the thing upside down. If the curve IS included though, You need to increase the total height to make up for the curve cutting into the "Usable space".

I think if you keep it in a ratio of usable space around .72 to .8 inches tall for every inch wide, it should be golden.

I might edit this later when I get home and look at my XT, I don't remember if it's dimensions listed on the Ratpadz site are from the edge or from the top of the curve to the top of the pad.

Then I say anyone who needs an even bigger mousepad is crazy. Turn up your sensitivity!

I guess im odd here, but i never use more then a 4" by 3" area when i game or anything for that matter... higher sensitivity gets you to a head/icon quicker the moving your mouse 12 inches : P

Actually, I don't even have to move my arm. For most up/down movements, I can get away with moving just my fingers. For left/right, it's all wrist.

I want my next Ratpadz XT with a big red [H] logo on it now thats cool ass hell.

To all those that keep saying things like "A large pad is pointless" or "Why would you ever need more space? Its so much better to use high sensitivity because of <reason>":

Please note that there are multiple mousing preferences for gaming. Also note that the large majority of pro-gamer's personal preferences for mousing style directly refute your "High sensitivity is better" statements.

Please note that there are multiple mousing preferences for gaming. Also note that the large majority of pro-gamer's personal preferences for mousing style directly refute your "High sensitivity is better" statements.
Oh, so this is purely from a gaming perspective.

Still, fuck pro gamers. I like high sensitivity in all uses. How's that for direct refuting?

Let me measure the unit on my desk.

Also, are these chemical resistant? Working for a coating company has its perks. I got a dry film lube I apply to my mouse, man o man, that is some slick shhtuff!

Oh, so this is purely from a gaming perspective.
Yes; Is this site not primarily slanted toward computer hardware as it relates to games and gaming?

And
Still, fuck pro gamers. I like high sensitivity in all uses. How's that for direct refuting?
The point wasn't that "you have to do what pro gamers do" but that people should stop saying that large mousepads are retarded, and realize that large pad/low sens is an extremely valid preference.

large enough so that you can throw your laptop on it and it won't bake your thighs.

Yes; Is this site not primarily slanted toward computer hardware as it relates to games and gaming?
This site != Ratpadz. And this site is a computer hardware forum with many forums not pertaining to gaming. Hard|OCP, sure, but gaming just happens to be one of the most popular methods of measuring and pushing hardware performance.
The point wasn't that "you have to do what pro gamers do" but that people should stop saying that large mousepads are retarded, and realize that large pads are an extremely valid preference.
Only if you stop saying the opposite in the same manner. See how that works?

This site != Ratpadz. And this site is a computer hardware forum with many forums not pertaining to gaming. Hard|OCP, sure, but gaming just happens to be one of the most popular methods of measuring and pushing hardware performance.
But... we ARE talking about Ratpadz. In a thread about them...
" Ratpadz mousing surfaces are designed "By Gamers - For Gamers!" "

Only if you stop saying the opposite in the same manner. See how that works?
Point out where I did, even once, Lol. See how that works? I was advocating that there are different ways of using a mouse and people don't need to be calling a whole segment worthless when it's obviously not; and backed up by plenty of evidence to the contrary.

But... we ARE talking about Ratpadz. In a thread about them...
"Ratpadz mousing surfaces are designed "By Gamers - For Gamers!"
Oh, okay. That means only gamers can buy and use them, and only for gaming. You win.

Point out where I did, even once, Lol.
Hmm. Okay:
All you people asking for square mousepads in 14x14 or 12x12 are crazy.
Just crazy! But, alas, I responded to your post and, in jest, paralleled your blanket claim by calling those who prefer low sensitivity crazy. But you lose ten points for the LOL.

I suppose it was wrong of me to include myself in your crazy claim since my posts prior to yours was personal experience.

Also note that the large majority of pro-gamer's personal preferences for mousing style directly refute your "High sensitivity is better" statements.
My mistake, then. Clearly you rounded up the large majority of pro-gamers and had some fun with surveys. You win.

Next, let's debate the curve (or curse)! Or Kyle should ask us to post our setups for a better gauge of how we roll (slide/glide).

I really like the Ratpadz XT curve for the wrist rest I use for with my mouse and never found myself needing more surface area. If I were to get the bigger proposed 12 x 14" Ratpadz Hard Ultra Magnum XT I would probably place my wrist rest on top of the surface if it were just slightly thinner.
What I would really like to see is a little [H] on one of the corners of the mousing surface.

fuck it all I just ordered the OG version of the XT for $20.

I'm using an old book for a mousepad and picked the one that I figured no one would care if it got messed up by my mouse.
Consequently, I'm creeped the hell out whenever I use my computer by having this to stare at (and no, I'm not joking):

69427265.jpg

i <3 the curve, it fits snugly next to my keyboard.

but if i could get like a full size one like um 36-48" long by like 12" tall so that it would fit under my keyboard and stuff that would rock, but im sure it'd cost a TON to manufacture

I think my desk is roughly 4 feet long and 2 1/2 feet wide. That will do.

12x14 W CURVE! would be awesome.

I like the 12 tall x 14 wide with curve. The curve is 100% essential and it's what makes my old RatPadz so perfect. I also agree that thinner with a different foot system that does not wear/rub off over time. perhaps recessed nubs.

The feet on the XT work well for me. I've never had problems with the feet coming off or the mouse pad moving on the desk. I can not say the same for the GS version. So this setup seems to be nearly perfect. Just make the XT larger and I'm set.

Oh, okay. That means only gamers can buy and use them, and only for gaming. You win..
Even people who don't care about cars and just want an A-B daily driver are welcome to buy a Corvette, but do you think the designers are looking to cater to those people when they create next year's model?

Just crazy! But, alas, I responded to your post and, in jest, paralleled your blanket claim by calling those who prefer low sensitivity crazy. But you lose ten points for the LOL.

I suppose it was wrong of me to include myself in your crazy claim since my posts prior to yours was personal experience.
Heh. So wait, your response to my saying that there is no reason for a square mousepad was to say there is no reason for low sensitivity and then go on a rant about non gaming uses? Ok. Well, I had a logical reason behind my statement that didn't even have anything to do with gaming or sensitivity; (You left it out of your quote, surely by accident) Where is yours? I have yet to encounter a common use for a square mousepad of the size being suggested in this thread, unless you just like having extra plastic you wont use (but had to pay for) hanging off your pad on the top. Common computer displays aren't square, for gaming or otherwise. A physical surface designed to emulate traversing your virtual layout of pixels should roughly equal it's aspect ratio. Even you stated that you only move up and down with your fingers on your surface and left to right with your wrist. If you can find a common usage that gamers or others would have for a square-aspect mousepad over a rectangle beyond some extremely specific setup or application, then I'll recant the statement.

Oh, and by the way: You said I should "stop saying the opposite" of "large mousepads are retarded", which would be that "small mousepads (or high sensitivity) are retarded". You still haven't pointed out where in this thread I said that, even once. Lol.

My mistake, then. Clearly you rounded up the large majority of pro-gamers and had some fun with surveys. You win.
You don't need to take surveys to know that a common pro race driver on a non-oval track is generally going to approach a turn from the outside edge, touch the inside apex, then exit on the outside edge. Nothing is forcing every driver in the race to drive like that and some may pick a different line, but that's going to be the majority.

Same thing here.

Last edited:
@Kent, Nepture
Guys...chill out, this was a feeler thread for a new version of the RatPadz XT. Of course it is open to discussion but you both have veered off course. We all have our flavors, if a big pad isn't appealing, don't worry about it; it wasn't for you anyway.

Once Kyle has decided on a size (14x12 seems to be the consensus), a poll should be made so we can duke it out on the curve aspect. As of now it appears to be a 60/40 pro curve.

hmm... that's cool. I know I just got one but If a bigger one comes out i will probably pick one up and bring the xt to work.

My dream XT would be the size of a QCK+ with no curve.

Once Kyle has decided on a size (14x12 seems to be the consensus), a poll should be made so we can duke it out on the curve aspect. As of now it appears to be a 60/40 pro curve.

Doesn't the purpose of the curve kind of defeat the need for a larger pad?

Last edited:
Functionally I'm just not a fan of the curve.

Thats what she said.
...:(

I loved my ratpad so much that I bought a 2nd one so that I have them both at work and home with my G9's. I think that if you were to remove the curve, you would need to compensate for the height.

Edit: Flipped it around - maybe its not so bad without a curve. Doesnt feel quite as good with my wrist but maybe thats just what im used to.

Small mouse pads are old hat.. Times have changed and people are now using HUGE tripple monitors and we needs bigger mouse pads! I'm using Nvidias 2D/3D Surround Vision with 3x Acer 23.6" 120Mhz 3D ready monitors @ 6120x1080 screen res and i freakin need some damn mouse pad realistate!

Going from 1-3 monitors i need to pick up my mouse! 14x14 will be nice.

I wish I could have a great big desk made out of the Ratpadz surface

How about something in the 3.5ft by 16in range... big enough we can sit our keyboard (even the logitech g15v1 should fit) on it, off to one side.

4ft by 3ft slabs... as a desk top replacement.. :D

14in by 10in, cut the thickness in half, and ditch the feet, use a full cover 1/16in neoprene backing instead, a little give, but a lot more stick. Maybe go with closed cell neoprene so that when soda is spilled near it, it dose not soak it up like a sponge. Curve or no curve, keep the beveled edge. (I would keep the curve)

Adding my two cents;

I have had my Ratpadz for a few months and I L-O-V-E it. I generally use it as a hard surface when I'm gaming on my laptop.

Personally I've learned to mouse with relatively small space. I used the mouse in 'portrait' mode if that makes sense; resting my hand on the pad itself. So in this case size would not effect me; if anything I would like to see a smaller model I could economically use at work/mobile.

14" x 16" or larger.
With curve please. I'll buy 2.

What do I do with my old ones?! I already have 5....

so i didn't understand this thread or why anyone would want it bigger.

i just received my first ratpadz xt in the mail and its smaller than the mouse pad i am using so yeah, now i get it. 14x12 sounds good and i like the curve.

it needs to be thinner too!

Back