BFGTech Exits Graphics

so what kind of fanboy he is when he used nVidia card.. VIA fanboys? :p

Sorry to ruin your theory but I own 3 main computers two which run ATI cards so based on your awesome idea, I would be an ATI fanboy....a fanboy is not owning a card is attacking another brand like a crazy moron.

Good riddance. Every BFG card i bought died prematurely, from 6800 GT to 8800 GTX. I didnt overclock them (blasphemy i know) or anything else but run them at stock. Every single one . I have a dead 8800 GTX on my shelf right now. Guess i should send it back soon. Great service and support, but terrible QA.

Last I had BFG was 6800GT and it's still working. BFG was one of the few "American" graphics card companies. Please tell me that US tech companies are not going the way of the auto industry. All it takes is one bad product cycle (errm.. Fermi.. Cough... Fermi...)

You still have EVGA in the mix as far as American companies go. They're also great, used them in all of my builds since the 6800GT and I'm very happy with them.

In any case, EVGA is another company that deals exclusively in nvidia cards. I wonder if we'll see them offer ATI cards this year, or if they're just going to weather the storm and wait for nvidia to release a part that is price and performance competitive with the ATI 5000 series.

Second retarded comment along the same line...I mean really, how much of a fanboy you have to be to get this low.
Fermi is now guilty of every bad thing that happens in the world....Jesus, grow up people....like it is the first company that has to shutdown... not sure why mods allow crap like that ..oh well

Oh and yes I too loved BFG, just told my bro to hurry up with his RMA, just in case :)

You don't need to worry, BFG will stand on what they say. and yes Nvidia is probably partly to blame (not the actually card but the company) They have made life pretty hard on their partners lately due to some pretty bad business practices. They deserve the flack they are getting over it.

But to be fair BFG has to carry blame as well, one should never carry all their eggs in a single basket. They did leave themselves open to this sort of thing. Still they make some good products and are not going anywhere

best wishes to bfg, i had nothing but great experiences with their video cards (from 7800 to gtx280), sad to see them exit the graphics market

Second retarded comment along the same line...I mean really, how much of a fanboy you have to be to get this low.

I don't think it's even slightly unreasonable to think that this had something to do with a somewhat poorly received Fermi release. Of course we don't know that, and even if that were part of it, I wouldn't assume that were the only reason for the decision. Clearly they had planned some Fermi product releases:

http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgrgtx4801534e.aspx

As far as I know, none of those ever made it to retail. It's all speculation, but I would hardly call it flamebait or fanboyism to believe that the lackluster Fermi release had at least a bit to do with the decision to withdraw from the market.

In any case, EVGA is another company that deals exclusively in nvidia cards. I wonder if we'll see them offer ATI cards this year, or if they're just going to weather the storm and wait for nvidia to release a part that is price and performance competitive with the ATI 5000 series.

EVGA has a successful line of motherboards. I think that'll hold them over.

Good riddance. Every BFG card i bought died prematurely, from 6800 GT to 8800 GTX. I didnt overclock them (blasphemy i know) or anything else but run them at stock. Every single one . I have a dead 8800 GTX on my shelf right now. Guess i should send it back soon. Great service and support, but terrible QA.

:rolleyes:

I've owned a 7800 GTX, 8800 GTX, and now a GTX 280 from BFG, all of which have given me outstanding performance and all of which continue to work to this day.

Sad day to see them go, I definitely looked to them first when buying nVidia products.

JeffK. - I hope you and your fellow co-workers don't lose your jobs if at all possible. I appreciate the great service you provided when I had trouble with my GTX260.

You still have EVGA in the mix as far as American companies go. They're also great, used them in all of my builds since the 6800GT and I'm very happy with them.

Evga does more than video cards. They have motherboards (X58), monitors, NIC's, display adapters, etc. They are also, imo, THE partner for nvidia, and there's no chance nvidia would let them slip away. People sometimes even equate evga with nvidia (as if they were their retail division of sorts).

It's not surprising to me that the smaller players (like BFG) have left the scene. The profit margins on most hardware components are razer thin (unless you're named Apple). The money they do make comes from either overclocked versions or custom cooling solutions, which very few people buy these days given how easy it is to overclock or slap on a new heatsink yourself.

While I haven't owned or known anyone to have a BFG product I'm definitely sad to see a company go and reduce the competition. Good luck to any employees that got let go.

This is really sad news. I have owned 4 BFG cards (7800GTX, 8800GTX & GTX 275's) These cards were nothing short of amazing at the time I owned them. I RMA'd 2 of them, and had no issues with the RMA Process. Sad to see BFG exit this market.

Crazy stuff; just picked up a BFG GTX 260 two months ago (needed a Nvidia card for specific reasons and couldn't wait for Fermi). Sorry to see them go, but it's good to hear that warranty/customer service support will continue -- definitely a classy move. And I knew they were based in Chicago but was surprised to see that press release mentioning my old hometown out in the 'burbs. Hopefully some BFG employees are raising their glasses at Mickey Finn's tonight...

Whoever says they offer good service hasn't had to deal with them very often.

The first time I sent my card in for replacement they were very quick and even sent me an upgrade as a replacement. I was very happy, till I found out how unstable and crappy the card was.

I sent it back two more times for replacement and each time their service got worse and worse. What took it week, took two weeks, than four. Every replacement I got had the same problem. Most would have thought it was my system but I tested them out in two other systems and they all had problems.

I say GOOD RIDDANCE.

Wow that sucks. I wonder what the underlying reason for graphics being unprofitable was?

probably because nvidia is demanding an insane royalty charge on the GTX 400 series by forcing companies to buy low end cards just so they can sell a GTX 400 series card.. i cant remember but i think it was in the xfx thread about them not selling nvidia cards it was like 10 GTX 300 series cards they had to buy for every 1 GTX 400 series card they could buy from nvidia.. something like that.. i guess the rumors of BFG switching to ATI are kaput now as well.. damn..

What happens in 10 years when I feel like using my lifetime warranty?

you can still use it as long as you registered the card already..

Whoever says they offer good service hasn't had to deal with them very often.

The first time I sent my card in for replacement they were very quick and even sent me an upgrade as a replacement. I was very happy, till I found out how unstable and crappy the card was.

I sent it back two more times for replacement and each time their service got worse and worse. What took it week, took two weeks, than four. Every replacement I got had the same problem. Most would have thought it was my system but I tested them out in two other systems and they all had problems.

I say GOOD RIDDANCE.

So an isolated incident = overall support? I got great results back when i RMAd my 7800GS. Sad to see them go but im not overly surprised.

This is a supply and demand issue. I don't know anybody that isn't an obsessed nVidia fanboy that really wants to waste the money on a Fermi- the marginal performance for the massive cost in heat and electricity, in addition to the card itself.

No real demand. No reason to supply.

Very sad.

Can't help but think that BFG wanted to sell ATI cards but was kept out by major ATI partners. I'm sure Sapphire would have thrown a major fit if ATI partnered with BFG, seeing as XFX has really taken alot of sales away from Sapphire.

What happens in 10 years when I feel like using my lifetime warranty?

I guess you get over the feeling then move on? Do you really think "lifetime warranty" means your lifetime, or the products' lifetimes? Lifetime means as long as the company is alive. In the case of PNY cards, "lifetime" means as long as they are selling that particular model of the card. While "lifetime" warranties seem great for the consumer, in the long run they eat tremendous amounts of operating capital.

Just my personal opinion here, I don't BFG will be around much longer in any form. The PSU battleground is not an easy place to be now days either. BFG missed that boat by about 5 years. As for BFG selling laptops, well, that is just funny.

Unacceptable :(.

I just had my 2nd GTX 280 die on me a few weeks ago. First one was a vanilla from Dell and this 2nd one was a BFG that's in the middle of RMA right now. I can't blame BFG though, I fold on my cards 24/7 and all they can test is to make sure it works under load before shipping out. It was good for almost a year before it died.

Anyways, the more vendors available for the cards, the better, so this sucks any way you cut it.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

they were my FAVORITE GPU company! Who am I going to go with now? XFX (laughs)?
this is a VERY sad day
black fucking tuesday

Never owned a BFG card but never heard anything but great things about them. Their prices were always a tad higher it seemed.

That's a shame really. My last NV card was a 295 from BFG. Solid card. I now have a 5870 which is from Asus. Kinda wished BFG sold both NV and ATI cards. That would be win/win.

Wow, really sorry to see them go out... I've got 2 cards from them and I'm just sad to see them leave.

wow.

I mean, judging from reading forums, I thought BFG had secured a good market share within nVidia cards(along with EVGA).
You always see threads about BFG and people raving about them as a company.
And even they couldn't profit off the GPU business huh. XFX has seemed to left the green too, whats next, EVGA?
What about other vendors that you don't hear too often like Zotac, PNY, Palit?
Do they profit as well?

Back